Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Humerus posted:

The thing is it sort of makes sense how Sisko's dad got a restaurant, probably proved he was an excellent chef and he would respect the history of the French Quarter. And I could buy that he cooks and runs the restaurant because he loves it. But what about the wait staff? The line cooks could be putting in their time working towards a goal or treat it like a hobby but who would want to be a waiter?

Did they show his restaurant? I've only seen a couple of episodes of DS9, but I got the sense it was a very personal affair and that Sisko Sr. would bring out the food to the tables himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Humerus posted:

The thing is it sort of makes sense how Sisko's dad got a restaurant, probably proved he was an excellent chef and he would respect the history of the French Quarter. And I could buy that he cooks and runs the restaurant because he loves it. But what about the wait staff? The line cooks could be putting in their time working towards a goal or treat it like a hobby but who would want to be a waiter?

Social currency is the only real currency, so being a waiter means you could get people reservations at Sisko's and receive reciprocation from powerful people, not to mention restauranteering experience so you can maybe get permission on day for a little eatery yourself without having to start off running a food truck in a Federation mining colony on a moon of Asslick VII

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

e: I hope they invented a cure for the male refractory period

Miniature tractor beams

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, do you wanna help Janeway get her own real-life statue in Bumfuck, Indiana?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not really

I WILL finance a millennium gate however

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

pospysyl posted:

Did they show his restaurant? I've only seen a couple of episodes of DS9, but I got the sense it was a very personal affair and that Sisko Sr. would bring out the food to the tables himself.

They do quite a few times but I wondering if they actually showed waiters or if that's something my memory just added to the scenes. Sisko reminisced about having to clean and shuck oysters there so Sisko Sr at least put his son to work on menial poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Humerus posted:

But what about the wait staff? The line cooks could be putting in their time working towards a goal or treat it like a hobby but who would want to be a waiter?

Some people like to be submissive and follow orders?

Edit: serious reply, do we know if they’re holograms or not?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every waiter at that restaurant is a person possessed by a wormhole prophet

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There were waiters, yes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love this thing so much

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love this thing so much

Where do I get it DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION, ANSWER ME NOW

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

When I was in my early twenties I loved waiting tables. If things like "rent" and "tips" and "capitalist performance expectations" didn't exist I probably would have done it part-time for the better part of a decade.

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Humerus posted:

But what about the wait staff? The line cooks could be putting in their time working towards a goal or treat it like a hobby but who would want to be a waiter?

Not everyone knows what they want during their youth. In a 'moneyless' society where there is no external pressure to pay rent or buy groceries or make a car payment, people can spend time just bumming around for a bit. Just like the person above me said...maybe at 19 you just want to work at some random pizza place in Gatlinburg, and you desperately enjoy it because of the connections you form with the other people working there and the interactions you have with the guests. And when it comes time to grow a little and move on there is an entire society itching to do everything they can to help you achieve your dreams.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

Edit: serious reply, do we know if they’re holograms or not?

Jobs waiting tables were offered to all the newly-obsolete Mark I Emergency Medical Holograms, but they took one look at the restaurant industry and all decided to go with the brutally hard mining labor instead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Jobs waiting tables were offered to all the newly-obsolete Mark I Emergency Medical Holograms, but they took one look at the restaurant industry and all decided to go with the brutally hard mining labor instead.

I know they were going for a metaphor but that was such an insanely dumb thing, there are a billion things that exist today that are more efficient then a hologram with a mining pick.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

They probably rarely show Earth because it's impossible to get right. If no one cares about petty material things anymore, how do the Picard vineyards exist? I could see Sisko's dad getting really good at being a chef and then he applies and gets his own restaurant to run. But how do you reconcile Picard vineyards? It seems like it's been in their family for hundreds of years. When Earth gets to a society where resources aren't restricted for all intents and purposes, do rich people just get to keep all the poo poo they own? Do they now own it forever with no risk of having to sell it off because of hard times? How would someone else get access to it? And when Sisko's dad dies, does Sisko get a chance to carry on the family restaurant? Or would it go into a pool to allow some other chef to start their own restaurant? Then there's things like housing, who gets to live in fancy historic houses?

Careful now, don't want the audience asking too many of those questions

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sulu's half-kimono half-business suit outfit from Star Trek III doesn't get enough attention. Looks stylish and futuristic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

Sulu's half-kimono half-business suit outfit from Star Trek III doesn't get enough attention. Looks stylish and futuristic.

L-R: Business Kimono, So Many Ovals, Maroon Over Mustard, and Pastel Pink Pilgrim.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's how you know Chekov isn't married.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The delta between Sulu and Chekhov's costumes for that movie is unbelievable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

Rather than being specifically wait staff, there are people who generally help Sisko out doing all the same things he himself does; but also, if you go to Sisko's, you're not expected to be waited on in every aspect like you are today, because this isn't a service economy. When you're done eating, you clean your own drat table.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hologram labour.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

well you see, in the future, space magic makes a command economy feasible, and furthermore,

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Another way of looking at it is that Sisko Sr.'s restaurant is a historical project. He's recreating food from centuries before using traditional methods. The waiters could be interested in participating in that project in the same way that people in Colonial Williamsburg act as, like, blacksmith apprentices, or how college students will sometimes work on a farm during their summer vacations. They could be students of history or aspiring chefs themselves.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I feel like a trek show could have a lot of fun with a tellarite character and diving into that culture

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No joke Sulu's costume is like the best thing about Star Trek 3 that isn't Christopher Lloyd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Riptor posted:

I feel like a trek show could have a lot of fun with a tellarite character and diving into that culture

Enterprise did a two-parter with a Tellarite delegation and the whole “insults are actually compliments” thing got pretty tired after the first 30 minutes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tellarites needed to get the same kind of detailed reimagining in Enterprise that Andorians got. They’re basically just an gimmick species where the gimmick is that they’re total assholes but still on our side. The Vulcans and the Andorians already have that gimmick and both are more interesting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

well you see, in the future, space magic makes a command economy feasible, and furthermore,

I mean, command economies functioned. Not super well, but they functioned. It's not like everyone in the Soviet Union was starving to death. It's less of a leap to think that they ironed out the problems in a system that functioned poorly than in a system that was a catastrophe.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Command economies function fine. The question is why anyone assumes that the future economy of star trek is one? Star trek doesn't have an economy, all economic activity you think you have seen is literally fictional events made up by someone in the 20th century. There's nothing more to this part of the world than what you have already seen, because the creators didn't create any.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, you're right. Time to close the thread. No reason to discuss anything my dudes, it's already all there in the show.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Humerus posted:

Being a waiter when your boss and coworkers aren't assholes, you don't have to work long shifts, your customers are all genuinely nice people appreciative of your service, you aren't dependent on tips, and you're doing the job because you enjoy it rather than in order to survive?

Probably not that bad a job.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, you're right. Time to close the thread. No reason to discuss anything my dudes, it's already all there in the show.

If your idea of discussing star trek is limited to fanwanking the internal workings of things that only exist to tell a story, then that's tremendously boring and stupid.

There's something very wrong with science fiction fans when their response to stories that question human nature and morality is "that's an interesting machine in the background, I wonder what size screws hold it together?". There are hundreds of thousands of coffee table books and websites full of pretend schematics annotated with meaningless technobabble and so very little engagement with the obvious themes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HorseLord posted:

If your idea of discussing star trek is limited to fanwanking the internal workings of things that only exist to tell a story, then that's tremendously boring and stupid.

There's something very wrong with science fiction fans when their response to stories that question human nature and morality is "that's an interesting machine in the background, I wonder what size screws hold it together?".

I'll bet they're metric :argh:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'll bet they're metric :argh:

They're not even screws; they're self-sealing stem bolts if the furniture maker has any style and pride in craftsmanship.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

counterpoint: if hitler had funnelled his energies into obsessing over self sealing stem bolts world war II might have been averted

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tho honestly of all historical leaders i feel like robespierre would be the biggest trekkie

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HorseLord posted:

There's something very wrong with science fiction fans when their response to stories that question human nature and morality is "that's an interesting machine in the background, I wonder what size screws hold it together?". There are hundreds of thousands of coffee table books and websites full of pretend schematics annotated with meaningless technobabble and so very little engagement with the obvious themes.

Did it ever occur to you that the conversations you're expecting might have already happened and now people want to speculate about something else? These shows are over 20 years old. After a while, people tend to move on into other topics besides what themes a specific episode had. What's the point of discussing the same show for years on end if people are only allowed to discuss the topics you deem appropriate? If you're not interested in a conversation, you can just not post about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also stuff like the failure of capitalism and our desperate need to enact alternatives is an extremely topical and pressing social issue of the day, speculating how the society of a utopian scifi society is a very on-point discussion. That core premise that "humans can be better" at the centre of trek probably the greatest topic of conversation regarding the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

L-R: Business Kimono, So Many Ovals, Maroon Over Mustard, and Pastel Pink Pilgrim.

Would wear McCoy's leather jacket every cold day IRL...