Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

they're more into weird flavor-y gimmicks and health benefits type focus than actual tea

I just looked at their website and that's definitely the case. I'd expect you'll be paying for the flavors and not really the tea. But if you like that thing, go for it. It wouldn't be my cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I just had the echinacea green tea from David's Tea's newest wellness line. It's delicious! I don't really care if it's actually boosting my (pathetic) immune system, it's elderberry green tea and is nicely sweet.

I just also had it, it's really tasty and nice. Got some of their lemon cayenne as well because that sounded fun. Need something to break up all the nice but unflavoured teas. Related to that, I got some Mrs. Lin Dong Ding Taiwanese Wulong from Camellia Sinesis is really excellent. The charcoal roast on it is just right and it makes me sad that it's so very expensive.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

taters posted:

Every year I order some first-flush Darjeeling. This year I went with Vadham, who seem to mostly sell on Amazon.

They ship directly from India to Amazon's fulfillment network; its definitely the freshest black I've ever had.

It was probably the best Darjeeling I've had since I started ordering them, and will likely use them for most/all of my loose black teas. I'll still get Yorkshire Gold in bags.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/14139201011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VAHDAM

thanks for the tip, I also got some and it's fantastic

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I got a sample of sencha from Adagio, and treated it like any other green tea from them (175 degrees F, 2 min). It tasted like seaweed with a hint of canned tuna.

Did I gently caress it up, or is Adagio's stuff just bad?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve always gone lower on temp and even time for sencha, but I’ve still gotten some seaweed in some. No idea about that particular one, but it isn’t completely uncommon of a flavor.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah adagio sencha, even the premium one isn't the best. It's always tasted a little off, no matter what temp I've used.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

I got a sample of sencha from Adagio, and treated it like any other green tea from them (175 degrees F, 2 min). It tasted like seaweed with a hint of canned tuna.

Did I gently caress it up, or is Adagio's stuff just bad?

It'll usually taste a little seaweedy and heavily of chlorophyll, but Adagio is not a good sencha source.

Just about any other source of sencha will have a more palatable flavor. I've been happy with one of the samples I got from Upton but there are fresher sources of Japanese greens.

Oddly enough I think Bigelow Organic Green Tea might have some sencha. Try some of that if you want to see if you even like the flavor profile. (Only their organic one has any kind of distinct taste, the regular one is a mix of dust.) I really don't suggest you go that route unless you don't want to make another order for tea.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
A steam-processed tea like sencha needs to go substantially cooler than a Chinese green tea, especially because the Japanese style of processing tends to result in a broken and powdery tea. 5 grams of leaf per 150ml of water, at 70C/158F, for one minute is a good starting point. Very broken senchas, especially fukamushis, can often be brewed for closer to 30 seconds. If the tea supports multiple infusions--plenty of perfectly good Japanese teas don't--you want to increase either the temperature or the duration for the subsequent ones; increasing temperature will usually get you better results but is also more of a pain in the rear end.

Adagio is not a good vendor for unflavored teas. I don't drink a lot of sencha myself, but people seem to like Yunomi for having a good selection at fairly reasonable prices, with the option for cheap "we'll drop it in an regular airmail envelope and pray" shipping if you have a taste for risk.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Been a while since I drank much sencha but o-cha and hibikian were my preferred vendors a few years back when I was going through a lot of it. Also go for the lighter steamed / asamushi stuff if you don’t like the proteiny/fishy side of things.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is not a fancy tea question (though I did used to make real tea from loose leaves when there was a nice tea shop here for a bit!)
I've recently started drinking very pedestrian (bags of Twinnings irish breakfast) tea again for breakfast and would like to have a cup sometimes in the evenings but am worried the caffeine would keep me up. Is there such a thing as decaff tea and is it completely awful?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Most herbal blends are low or no caffeine.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
The decaf black tea's I've tried were uniformly horrible. I second the suggestion to find an herbal tea you like for the evenings.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you miss the black tea flavor (I do), try something that's flavored like Earl Grey or masala chai. Plain decaf black tea is meh.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Stuporstar posted:

You can also order direct from their site. Though I haven’t tried them yet, I’ve been meaning to for a while.

https://www.vahdam.com/

I grabbed a few teas from them. The darjeeling is amazing, but their saffron turmeric tea is all sorts of amazing! Thank you for the source.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My friend got me a Zojirushi thermos so I'm starting to bring tea to work.

Properly steeped green tea is fuckin excellent, hell yeah.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is not a fancy tea question (though I did used to make real tea from loose leaves when there was a nice tea shop here for a bit!)
I've recently started drinking very pedestrian (bags of Twinnings irish breakfast) tea again for breakfast and would like to have a cup sometimes in the evenings but am worried the caffeine would keep me up. Is there such a thing as decaff tea and is it completely awful?

Harney and Sons decaf black Paris is good, but decaf tea will always taste less good because some of the flavor is lost in the process.

I like caffeine free herbals a lot. Rooibos chai from Upton is one of my favorites right now. I drink a lot of chamomile and Bigelow Mint Medley as well.

A lot the flavored herbals are overpowered by hibiscus so watch for that if you don't like that flavor.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

effika posted:

I drink a lot of chamomile and Bigelow Mint Medley as well.

I will second chamomile and mint teas as good bedtime drinking. Chamomile in particular has soothing properties, and is good for relaxing. I wish Teavana was still around because Peach Tranquility was my favorite tea. It's a chamomile base with peach, apple, and lemongrass. You can still get it at Starbucks but it's got licorice root in it now and I am allergic af.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Got some just chamomile tea and it was pretty foul and a very disconcerting color with milk in it. Kind of an anise taste and I really don’t love anise. Gonna try some decaf Irish breakfast next and see how bad it is. Thanks for all the ideas!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It's not fancy pants loose leaf artisanal blends, but I just like to drink Sleepytime Extra.

I can second rooibos chai from Upton as well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Got some just chamomile tea and it was pretty foul and a very disconcerting color with milk in it. Kind of an anise taste and I really don’t love anise. Gonna try some decaf Irish breakfast next and see how bad it is. Thanks for all the ideas!

Milk in chamomile???? wyd

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is that Barry's? They are pretty good. Upton's premium decaf ceylon and assam are the only decaf black teas I like.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have done this, but will not do it again. Chamomile has an almost honey taste to it naturally. I experimented with different additives like milk, lemon, sweetener (no, just no), etc. The only one I like is lavender. Mostly I just drink it by itself.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don't add milk to chamomile. Just get whatever chamomile, add the bag or infuser to your mug, pour boiling water on it, forget about it for like 10-15 minutes while it cools, then drink it.

It will taste like a little like it smells. Kind of sweet and vaguely hay-ish.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just automilked I guess because that’s how I drink my normal tea? It was gross. I’ll try again with no milk and letting it cool as suggested.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just automilked I guess because that’s how I drink my normal tea? It was gross. I’ll try again with no milk and letting it cool as suggested.

Yeah, chamomile with milk sounds awful. Herbal teas generally don't take well to milk in my experience.

I like to let mine steep for about twenty minutes as it slowly cools. The flavor of good chamomile tea is somewhere between sweet honey/apple and fresh hay.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I associate chamomile with the smell of apples enough that adding milk to that isn’t gonna taste good

Also I once tried making a latte out of a herbal tea that had hibiscus in it and the acidity made the milk curdle instantly :barf:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oolong is a tea that gets milk/cream in it, correct? I have some from Korea that I wanna try soon, just don't have cream.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Oolong is a tea that gets milk/cream in it, correct? I have some from Korea that I wanna try soon, just don't have cream.

I would personally not add milk to oolong but I'm sure with some experimentation it might taste ok. You would probably need to oversteep it a bit to stop the milk overpowering the taste. Try it and report back!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I would personally not add milk to oolong but I'm sure with some experimentation it might taste ok. You would probably need to oversteep it a bit to stop the milk overpowering the taste. Try it and report back!

Can do. It says "oolong milk tea" and has a photo of very creamy looking tea, so who knows :shrug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's called that because even on its own it tastes like it had milk added to it. It's quite good when prepared right.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

I associate chamomile with the smell of apples enough that adding milk to that isn’t gonna taste good

Also I once tried making a latte out of a herbal tea that had hibiscus in it and the acidity made the milk curdle instantly :barf:

I work at Starbucks, and with the keto craze there have been people who ask for a Passion Tango tea (which is mostly hibiscus, lemongrass, and rose hips) shaken with heavy cream and sugar free vanilla. It looks like Greek yogurt by the time we finish shaking it but it doesn't taste terrible. The texture makes me gag though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Johnny Truant posted:

Can do. It says "oolong milk tea" and has a photo of very creamy looking tea, so who knows :shrug:

those things have tons of emulsifiers and flavoring agents to make it look and taste delicious so it should be fine.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I work at Starbucks, and with the keto craze there have been people who ask for a Passion Tango tea (which is mostly hibiscus, lemongrass, and rose hips) shaken with heavy cream and sugar free vanilla. It looks like Greek yogurt by the time we finish shaking it but it doesn't taste terrible. The texture makes me gag though.

The one I tried that with was David’s strawberry rhubarb parfait because it was already slightly milky with yogurt flavoring in it, only to find on the package afterwards the warning “not for latte” oops

Johnny Truant posted:

Milk oolong is a special breed of tea plant that has a natural creamy taste and texture. Jin Xuan is the original and has no added flavorings: https://www.teavivre.com/jin-xuan-milk-oolong-tea.html It’s so delicious on it’s own that adding milk to it would just overpower its natural flavors, especially since it tends to be processed as a green oolong rather than a darker one.

However some milk oolongs are a weaker batch of milk oolong with milk flavoring added to it: https://www.teavivre.com/jin-xuan-tea-flavored.html so you have to check whether “lactose” is listed in the ingredients to know if it’s the pure tea or not. Since Teavivire sells both it was easy to compare.

Guang Zhou is a region in China where they imported the Taiwanese milk oolong tea species, so it also tends to be legit as well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The conclusion to this thrilling saga:
Decaff Twinings Irish breakfast is fine. Not as good as the caffeinated, but good enough and scratches the itch. I tried to like chamomile tea real hard and it just wasn't for me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The conclusion to this thrilling saga:
Decaff Twinings Irish breakfast is fine. Not as good as the caffeinated, but good enough and scratches the itch. I tried to like chamomile tea real hard and it just wasn't for me.

That is just fine! I'm really glad you found one you like!

Now I have a question though. What exactly is the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish Breakfast teas? I've tried all three and haven't been able to figure it out, and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Now I have a question though. What exactly is the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish Breakfast teas? I've tried all three and haven't been able to figure it out, and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

I might be wrong, because I don't really know and am taking a guess, but I'd guess that it'd be the combinations of different types of tea.

Might be wrong though.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

From the brands and blends I’ve tasted, including Twinings, English breakfast is pretty standard orange pekoe flavor (mostly Ceylons) whereas Irish breakfast is heavier on maltier Assams. Scottish breakfast seems to vary more from blend to blend but it tends to be stronger, sometimes having a bit of smoky lapsang souchong added to it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

virinvictus posted:

I might be wrong, because I don't really know and am taking a guess, but I'd guess that it'd be the combinations of different types of tea.

Might be wrong though.

Stuporstar posted:

From the brands and blends I’ve tasted, including Twinings, English breakfast is pretty standard orange pekoe flavor (mostly Ceylons) whereas Irish breakfast is heavier on maltier Assams. Scottish breakfast seems to vary more from blend to blend but it tends to be stronger, sometimes having a bit of smoky lapsang souchong added to it.

All right! I don't know much about black teas (I prefer flavored blends and green teas), but I like Irish Breakfast, so maybe I'd like Assams?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

All right! I don't know much about black teas (I prefer flavored blends and green teas), but I like Irish Breakfast, so maybe I'd like Assams?

That’s a safe bet. Irish breakfast is still my breakfast tea of choice and Assams are some of my favorites, along with Yunnans (which also tend to be assamicas)

This is my absolute favorite Assam right now: https://mrmaxeystea.com/product/latumoni-summer-royal-tippy-gold/
It’s a little on the pricier end (though that’s in CAD) but it’s so worth it because a big robust assamica like that can be resteeped all afternoon, and it starts out with this bright sweet malty flavor that’s glorious.

Similar tasting Chinese teas (honey, chocolate, malt flavor profiles) I love are ones like these:
https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html
https://www.teavivre.com/organic-red-snail-black-tea.html
https://www.teavivre.com/black-dragon-pearl.html
https://www.teavivre.com/golden-monkey-black-tea.html

Edit: I really love rolled teas for some reason

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Golden Monkey is good poo poo