Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh the Clone Wars cartoon did a pretty good (belated) job of showing fun adventures with Obi-wan and Anakin and also how they drove Anakin to embrace his murderous urges and back them up with teleological bullshit

Also haha this week that clumsy Ahsoka lost her lightsaber! Next week, mass slaughter and PTSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I honestly prefer prequels approach:

Anakin: Hey master Obiwan remember that time we bonded and had an adventure together?
Obiwan: Yeah that was great, we're close friends

I know, show don't tell.

But still, telling is better than neither showing or telling

Instead of an hour of galactic policy chat they could have taken five minutes to recap some of their adventures. Hell it could have been the council assessing Anakin's achievements, and him getting frustrated hearing all the amazing things he's done, but not being made a master.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blistex posted:

Instead of an hour of galactic policy chat they could have taken five minutes to recap some of their adventures. Hell it could have been the council assessing Anakin's achievements, and him getting frustrated hearing all the amazing things he's done, but not being made a master.

They allude to their past adventures a lot which is something all the SW movies do to evoke a grand scale. Anakin and Obi-wan always banter about rescuing one another from nests of gundarks or how many times they’ve saved each other’s lives, or else Obi-wan scolds Anakin about how he keeps losing his sword. It’s the same as Vader in the original movie shouting about how there’ll be no one to stop us this time.

The big problem is that for most of the prequel movies Obi-wan and Anakin aren’t actually together, they’re off having different adventures without each other.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

skasion posted:

They allude to their past adventures a lot which is something all the SW movies do to evoke a grand scale. Anakin and Obi-wan always banter about rescuing one another from nests of gundarks or how many times they’ve saved each other’s lives, or else Obi-wan scolds Anakin about how he keeps losing his sword. It’s the same as Vader in the original movie shouting about how there’ll be no one to stop us this time.

Part of the structural problem with prequels trying to fill out stuff like "the kessel run" or "the clone wars" is that they are great, evocative cast off lines that make it seem like a big teeming universe full of stuff, but they lose something being pinned down like a butterfly to a board and labelled by taking whatever cool image was in your head and diminishing it by saying "no it was this specific thing, actually."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I know that's not what it ended up being, but I always thought the best interpretation of Han's Kessel Run and parsecs line is just that he's a con-man who won a lovely ship and is trying to scam some country bumpkin. Obi-Wan sees through this and decides to essentially go for it, because Han is desperate and will accept payment with money Luke and Obi-wan don't have.

Also, in the original movie the Millenium Falcon doesn't really show any signs of actually being the fastest bestest smuggling ship, he barely gets away from the Star Destroyers in the beginning and that's only because he jumps to lightspeed not because he outmaneuvers them with his sick piloting skills and the Falcon's speed or agility.

So, yeah, in the original movie Han is just some con-man who won a lovely ship and is trying to scam money off people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I know that's not what it ended up being, but I always thought the best interpretation of Han's Kessel Run and parsecs line is just that he's a con-man who won a lovely ship and is trying to scam some country bumpkin. Obi-Wan sees through this and decides to essentially go for it, because Han is desperate and will accept payment with money Luke and Obi-wan don't have.

That's literally how it appears in the screenplay. One of the few explicit stage directions in that exchange in the script is right after the Kessel line:
"Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 24, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's literally how it appears in the screenplay. One of the few explicit stage directions in the script is right after the Kessel line:
"Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation."

That's neat and kind of cool, because that's always what seemed to be going on in that exchange.

Makes all of the dumb EU attempts to try to explain that line look pretty loving stupid when the answer really was there the whole time, in that it's just a bunch of bullshit and that's the point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Falcon is not supposed to be a junker, despite its looks. It outruns the military’s space cruisers and successfully joins in the Death Star attack. Han knows he isn’t the greatest pilot in the galaxy — he just got almost caught by the cops last week and dumped his load — but he’s good enough, and he acts like he’s the greatest to impress the yokels. Ben, a fellow con-man, is not impressed, but he also perceives that Solo is good enough. The motif of the Falcon actually being a broken piece of poo poo is just in ESB and in that movie it’s explained by the fact that the imperials rumbled the base while the ship was mid-rebuild (“this one goes here, that one goes there!”)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Every SW character gets retroactively more special the longer they've existed, that's why luke is now the second coming.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

lofi posted:

Every SW character gets retroactively more special the longer they've existed, that's why luke is now the second coming.

Luke accomplished nothing worth. Sure he decapitated the Empire, but he comprehensively failed to reestablish the Jedi religion. He did however inspire a megalomaniacal anti-Luke warlord to blow up the capital of the republic and completely shatter the galactic state.

The best case scenario for Luke’s legacy is that his two frighteningly powerful moron apprentices cancel each other out and either both die or one convinces the other not to take over the galaxy and rule as space fuhrer.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 25, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
End of "Star Wars Return of The Jedi" Revised Synopsis: Luke gravely wounds, but refuses to kill Darth Vader, holding firm to his belief in redemption. In the climactic moment, with Palpatine poised to kill Luke, Vader turns on his master. Palpatine is temporarily wounded, and his fleets destroyed, but he survives and makes more later. Vader succumbs to his wounds, Luke goes home. 30 years later, Palpatine's forces completely annihilate the Republic while Luke drinks alien walrus milk on a remote island.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

End of "Star Wars Return of The Jedi" Revised Synopsis: Luke gravely wounds, but refuses to kill Darth Vader, holding firm to his belief in redemption. In the climactic moment, with Palpatine poised to kill Luke, Vader turns on his master. Palpatine is temporarily wounded, and his fleets destroyed, but he survives and makes more later. Vader succumbs to his wounds, Luke goes home. 30 years later, Palpatine's forces completely annihilate the Republic while Luke drinks alien walrus milk on a remote island.

Good edit

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

skasion posted:

Luke accomplished nothing worth. Sure he decapitated the Empire, but he comprehensively failed to reestablish the Jedi religion. He did however inspire a megalomaniacal anti-Luke warlord to blow up the capital of the republic and completely shatter the galactic state.

The best case scenario for Luke’s legacy is that his two frighteningly powerful moron apprentices cancel each other out and either both die or one convinces the other not to take over the galaxy and rule as space fuhrer.
The new movies are just 9 hours of Millennials killing Boomers and finally fixing everything

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dean of Swing posted:

Has the chinese cut of the trailer leaked yet?

Now with 100% less black person

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

The new movies are just 9 hours of Millennials killing Boomers and finally fixing everything

No, they're not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Infinite Karma posted:

If only there was such a lavishly thought out plot.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

skasion posted:

tbh Star Wars with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack would have been lit and might well have succeeded too. the 70s were weird. sounds like it would be a fun project for someone anyway

oh man now I want to see Nicolas Winding Refn do a neon and synth soaked space opera

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are we calling Space "the sky" now? Is that were we are as a society?

hardly a "sky walker" considering its set in space.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Durf posted:

oh man now I want to see Nicolas Winding Refn do a neon and synth soaked space opera

Blade runner 2049 with blaster pistols

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

immortalyawn posted:

Are we calling Space "the sky" now? Is that were we are as a society?

hardly a "sky walker" considering its set in space.

Well you can't really walk in space, can you? There's no ground.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

stop describing how good they could have been, it's making me sad.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love the whole "the saga will end" bullshit of the trailer, as if it's going to be the last ever star war.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lofi posted:

I love the whole "the saga will end" bullshit of the trailer, as if it's going to be the last ever star war.

Yep. Disney built a theme park that's half New Order and half Resistance.

It won't even be the end of either one of those.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lofi posted:

they only mean the Skywalker Saga. that the cohesive, planned trilogy of trilogies that definitely forms one story & isn't 2/3 loving around for a quick buck.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if

holy poo poo

what if 'skywalker' and 'skynet' are related?

PALPATINE IS SKYNET

HE SENDS EMBRYO ANAKIN BACK IN TIME !!!!!

ANAKIN IS THE TERMINATOR!

my god... it all makes sense now

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

what if

holy poo poo

what if 'skywalker' and 'skynet' are related?

PALPATINE IS SKYNET

HE SENDS EMBRYO ANAKIN BACK IN TIME !!!!!

ANAKIN IS THE TERMINATOR!

my god... it all makes sense now

More machine now than man...

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

all the IPs will slowly merge into the Marvelverse and you can't afford the suicide booth.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the parks and rec filibuster is turning real and i hate it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’d like one Ant Man Double Bantaa-Bacon Bürger, a Slimer green Mountain Dew, three Vader-Captain Marvel teamup Fries and a large side of Mickey Onion rings, please. Do you have the Avatar toys in yet?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney steadfastly refuses to work with McDonalds because a) mcdonalds is unhealthy and that drags doen disneys image and b) the decision was made at a time when the head of Disney's US marketing hated the head of McDonalds US person due to a rumor she had had apparently hosed the Disney marketing heads husband

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

Disney steadfastly refuses to work with McDonalds because a) mcdonalds is unhealthy and that drags doen disneys image and b) the decision was made at a time when the head of Disney's US marketing hated the head of McDonalds US person due to a rumor she had had apparently hosed the Disney marketing heads husband

They got back together last year when McDonald's made happy meals nominally healthier by no longer advertising cheeseburgers or chocolate milk as menu options with them.

Live action Mulan Szechuan Sauce is a possibility now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lofi posted:

all the IPs will slowly merge into the Marvelverse

Well, no problem there I'll just...

quote:

and you can't afford the suicide booth.

:argh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Has anyone said that Disney is the evil empire yet??? lmao it's like poety, it rhymes!!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Has anyone said that Disney is the evil empire yet??? lmao it's like poety, it rhymes!!!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I always thought the 'proper' Kessel run explanation was that the Kessel region of space is full of black holes or some other spatial anomaly and he was able to pass within 12 parsecs without being sucked in or otherwise spacefucked.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I always thought the 'proper' Kessel run explanation was that the Kessel region of space is full of black holes or some other spatial anomaly and he was able to pass within 12 parsecs without being sucked in or otherwise spacefucked.

That was some dumb poo poo made up by nerds.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

That doesn’t really make sense either, parsecs are loving enormous. 12 parsecs is like 200 trillion miles, it’s not close at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like some dude said earlier, the proper explanation is no explanation. poo poo like that is what gives mystique to the worldbuilding. People speculating on it gives character the franchise and fires the imagination. As soon as the franchise itself takes those tidbits, puts them under a microscope, and reveals exactly what happened in excruciating detail, the magic is lost.

Guarantee they're gonna do the same poo poo if that Boba Fett thing ever comes out. We're going to know exactly what Vader was thinking of when he growled "no disintegrations" to Fett.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the kessel run thing is one of the only things George Lucas planned & explained properly lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

what are you talking about excessive backstories own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0w3rGYQjk