Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I have no idea who pissflaps is or what he used to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I have no idea who pissflaps is or what he used to do.

You should PM him, he'll be delighted to bring you up to speed, at length. I think the two of you would get on fabulously.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I have no idea who pissflaps is or what he used to do. I get that you don't seem to like him but as a mod you should be able to verify he's not me and vice versa.

Telling me I'm too much like some guy I've never heard of is a waste of time.

If Corbyn isn't unelectable why are Labour constantly bickering about him being in charge and shying away from a general election (alternating with asking for one) ?. If Labour are so hugely confident in him they would presumably be willing to actually back him politically which I simply don't see in labours behaviour I also don't see any consistency whatsoever in their politics.

It doesn't matter that I think he's unelectable, what really matters is labour obviously also think that.

Labour need to get their get poo poo together, they are failing the nation by putting their own internal squabbles first. Exactly as the Tories are.

Hence our current situation.

No I said you are making the same posts, not that you are him.

The reason for the pushback from other posters is because he made all these same terrible and ignorant posts and garnered the same reaction that you are currently experiencing. This is why people are short with you. Coming into a monthly thread like this, which has a strong community and large sense of continuity and making the sorts of posts you are shows one of the two things I mentioned.

Either you know the sorts of reactions you will get and it is deliberate, or you have not lurked enough to understand that what you are saying has been discussed time and time and time again, hence ignorant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The guy who's been elected in every election he's ever stood in is unelectable

- me, a colossal idiot

Wait, are you talking about Corbyn there? Because if so I have bad news for you about what happened 2017.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure corbyn was elected in 2017 too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

With the biggest majority that constituency has ever seen, no less

But no, he's unelectable

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Junior G-man posted:

Man if I was London Labour I'd be so, so worried about Rory "definitely not MI6" Stewart right now. It's just a steamroller campaign.

What's a steamroller campaign?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Someone post that guardian comic of Corbyn outlasting Cameron, May and Watson lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey I need some advice on the woke life.

I'm v. unhappy with my job at the moment for various reasons. There are jobs for me but most of them would require a move that I can't afford, and also further away from my parents where I'll be needed in the next years. I have an interview offered for a very interesting position at a company not that far away. Here's the thing: they're essentially a dairy R&D company. What they do is both used to improve dairy products, but also to detect producers that are skirting laws on environmental and animal protection (I doubt that when forced, they'd take any side other than profits). But I'm against animal products and industrial cattle use in general, and avoid them as far as possible. So, what do? Should I even entertain the thought of attending the interview? Ought I go there and make clear that I'd do the job from an animal welfare standpoint? Should I be cool with working with someone whose morals don't align because I have mouths to feed?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

With the second largest majority in the country!

Biggest majority is actually Diane Abbot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm v. unhappy with my job at the moment for various reasons. There are jobs for me but most of them would require a move that I can't afford, and also further away from my parents where I'll be needed in the next years. I have an interview offered for a very interesting position at a company not that far away. Here's the thing: they're essentially a dairy R&D company. What they do is both used to improve dairy products, but also to detect producers that are skirting laws on environmental and animal protection (I doubt that when forced, they'd take any side other than profits). But I'm against animal products and industrial cattle use in general, and avoid them as far as possible. So, what do? Should I even entertain the thought of attending the interview? Ought I go there and make clear that I'd do the job from an animal welfare standpoint? Should I be cool with working with someone whose morals don't align because I have mouths to feed?

I mean personally I don't share that position so, I'm not really going to suggest that you'd be doing anything wrong working there, but equally that's something that really only you can answer? Are you going to experience a drop in your quality of life because working there makes you feel bad?

I might suggest it's worth interviewing if nothing else, you don't have to accept. Questions about their position on ethics are something you might want to ask, given the opportunity.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 25, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sounds like you're perfect for the job really - the agricultural industry should be full of people who give a poo poo about animal welfare. Sure you might not want the industry to exist at all, but if it must, wouldn't you want to be a part of making it the best it can be?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

On a similar subject I had a right loving row with a director last week because he wanted to mark down an applicant because the suit he wore to the interview was "shabby". Poor guy's been unemployed for ten months, give him the job and he'll be able to buy a new loving suit if you think it's that important. We don't even have a dress code. loving ridiculous.

(we have offered him the job)

Just wanted to say I love the little updates you give on your life of taking no poo poo and getting into rows with everyone. I genuinely reckon you do more praxis than 95% of the thread all by yourself

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Nothing wrong with doing this for a couple of months and jumping ship as soon as you find something that is better aligned with your morals. Because morals are a luxury that goes down the drain very fast as your quality of life and bank account diminish, and at least this way you’re not desperate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I would always say don't take a job that you'll be unhappy to roll out of bed to do in the morning. Go for the interview but if you don't feel they're taking the animal welfare aspect seriously then walk away from it as that's the only redeemable part of the job to you.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

*Shocked gasp* That poster is my exact double...!

*Louder shocked gasp* That opposition leader is completely unelectable!!

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, the Labour centrists, Blairites, and right wangers need to cut their poo poo out and get behind Corbyn like they demanded everyone else do at times when they were in charge. This isn't really news though, it's been the case since 2015, and moreso back then.

Definitely. It is news though as it seems to still be monopolising the Labour party during the worst national crisis in living memory as a result of which the Tories effectively have free reign to drag the country down with them.

We are in this mess because the Tories couldn't stomach booting the ERG, labour are in a similar position with their own split.

Neither can get their house in order because it would mean harming their own majority so we are stuck with two dysfunctional political parties whilst the EU watch in dismay as we waste another extension.

I'm eyeing the approaching Brexit cliff and thinking we haven't got time for this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

an_mutt posted:

*Shocked gasp* That poster is my exact double...!

*Louder shocked gasp* That opposition leader is completely unelectable!!

lol

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

The Liberal Democrats have launched a new poster campaign that parodies the “Careless Talk Costs Lives” second world war poster.

Their “Careless Votes Cost Lives” poster replaces the two gossiping diners in the original with Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn.

The quote reads: “…thanks for your help comrade, we finally got Brexit over the line!”

:catstare:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sort of similar situation that may or may not help.

I had a few extremely passionate ecologist colleagues who joined up with some of the consultancy firms doing the mitigation work for HS2.

HS2 is well known as being very bad for the environment, potentially destroying huge areas of protected woodland and other sensitive habitats.

But these people did the work as they felt that it would be done regardless*, and having someone with who truly cared about nature doing the work would at least be able to make sure that it was done properly, and they would then have an effective voice in the mitigation.

*obviously HS2 is back up in the air, but still.

If you can hack working around dairy farms, then it could be good for someone with your passion for animal welfare to be involved, even if it only makes a small change for the better thats better than nothing. Find out more about the company, go for an interview, see if its an option. An interview is good experience if nothing else.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

Unilever has claimed it is saving hundreds of thousands of pounds a year by replacing human recruiters with an artificial intelligence system, amid warnings of a populist backlash against the spread of machine learning.

The multinational told the Guardian it had saved 100,000 hours of human recruitment time in the last year by deploying software to analyse video interviews.

The system scans graduate candidates’ facial expressions, body language and word choice and checks them against traits that are considered to be predictive of job success. Vodafone, Singapore Airlines and Intel are among other companies to have used similar systems.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/25/unilever-saves-on-recruiters-by-using-ai-to-assess-job-interviews

Welp. I wonder if it's the same systems that don't recognise people failing the paper bag test as well, people.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ah what a timely reference. Really appealing to the 90 year olds that would vaguely remember it the first time.

Also come the gently caress on EU/Labour just commit to your inevitable positions on extensions and elections and get it over with.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

They're such a bunch of wankers. :clegg:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Saros posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/25/unilever-saves-on-recruiters-by-using-ai-to-assess-job-interviews

Welp. I wonder if it's the same systems that don't recognise people failing the paper bag test as well, people.

I swear there was a system like this that didn't understand glasses, or couldn't see eyes through them, and just disregarded those applicants entirely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean you're profiting from the industrial use/abuse of animals just by existing in the UK and making use of UK public services, so it's not like that'd be any more or less so just from working at a dairy company out of necessity as long as you're not going to start taking milk baths.

And there's been thousands of people who worked in, say, coal mining because it was the only employer in town, but were actually against black lung and smog and their children being buried under heaps of spoil from collapsing tips, so it's not like being in the industry means you approve of the effects of the industry. They joined unions and worked for change from within.

Also it's good that they work for animal protection, and the only reason they'd take the side of profit over that is because enough people within the structure take the side of profit. More people joining who care about welfare over profit changes that likelihood.

It's up to your own decision of separatism for the sake of purity vs we live in a society.

Lib Dems are the Hitler hiding under the table.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wait, is the whole thing the poster, or is that their poster side-by-side with the original for us to compare?

Because if your reference needs the original next to it for people to get it, maybe it's not a good reference.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

TBF, the poster makes a good point.

Can someone remind me of the death toll directly linked to the LD and Tory austerity project please?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Lib Dems are the Hitler hiding under the table.

Actually they're the streak of piss hovering above the table and completely ruining the atmosphere

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bobstar posted:

Wait, is the whole thing the poster, or is that their poster side-by-side with the original for us to compare?

Because if your reference needs the original next to it for people to get it, maybe it's not a good reference.

I'm not sure, I just grabbed the image from the Guardian liveblog.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Labour are right to be holding off on committing to this election, especially since the extension hasn’t been ratified yet.

Let the EU27 blink first. They don’t want no deal as much as we don’t, and the only way to guarantee this is to have the extension ratified so an election can be called without it being a possibility.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just wanted to say I love the little updates you give on your life of taking no poo poo and getting into rows with everyone. I genuinely reckon you do more praxis than 95% of the thread all by yourself

Doesn't feel like praxis, feels like morally justifiable being an argumentative prick! The guy has literally just replied to say he accepts. He's starting Monday, and he definitely doesn't need to wear a suit. First time I've ever managed to swing a hiring decision on the basis of "they're unemployed, so can start immediately". One of my colleagues tried to argue that unemployed + willing to accept 10k less than an equally-qualified applicant was a solid reason not to hire him. Totally mind boggling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Actually they're the streak of piss hovering above the table and completely ruining the atmosphere
Winning Here!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

Someone post that guardian comic of Corbyn outlasting Cameron, May and Watson lol

And then extend it to him outlasting the next 5 Tory PMs, that would really own.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

I have no idea who pissflaps is or what he used to do.

Turn off your monitor.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ditto. Viva la Sanford!

In other news, I finally found someone to put on Ignore

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

And then extend it to him outlasting the next 5 Tory PMs, that would really own.
Especially if they all keep winning at the rate that Johnson does.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator, has said the EU27 has not yet been able to make a decision on the length of the next Brexit delay because of the ongoing debate in the UK over Boris Johnson’s election demand.

it's the catch-22 election

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Quick and dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Doesn't feel like praxis, feels like morally justifiable being an argumentative prick!

Are these not the same thing?