Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

CannonFodder posted:

Genos is really leaning into the "Demon Cyborg" motif.

Doctor. I need another upgrade. Yes my arms got torn off again. But more importantly, let's talk branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CharlestonJew posted:

Sekingar was able to carry like, 5 unconscious people to safety all at once, he seems pretty tough

Saitama, before he ever went through his training and when he was still explicitly "average", survived getting sent flying 20 meters through the air and hits that shattered concrete.

The average person's much tougher than normal, and remember that out of the thousands that apply for the HA, there's only a couple hundred C-class heroes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skaianDestiny posted:

Saitama, before he ever went through his training and when he was still explicitly "average", survived getting sent flying 20 meters through the air and hits that shattered concrete.

I don't think Saitama whatever he thinks was ever super average.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Saitama whatever he thinks was ever super average.

He was as average as anyone could be
because its funny and fits the themes.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Watched the first season. Read equally as far in the comics. How much further is the comic than the show?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ruggan posted:

Watched the first season. Read equally as far in the comics. How much further is the comic than the show?

Way farther. Like 3 or so seasons ahead. Webcomic is even further.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Genos has already proven himself to be very competent, but I still feel like patting him on the back whenever he scores a kill.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Supersonic Shine posted:

Genos has already proven himself to be very competent, but I still feel like patting him on the back whenever he scores a kill.

same tbh he rides the razor's edge of jobbing and winning

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Genos is super powerful, it's just that he's squared off against some of the most powerful monsters and gotten dunked on. Monsters that Saitama had to onepunch himself, like the Centipede, Asura Rhino or Mosquito lady. For all we know they were as powerful as Boros

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I think ONE said that Genos would have won against the Sea King had he not intercepted the acid attack to save that girl.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

If I had to guess how strong genos is, I’d say slightly more powerful than tank top master. But I don’t have any proof.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

I think ONE said that Genos would have won against the Sea King had he not intercepted the acid attack to save that girl.

I'll believe it. It fits pretty well with how that fight was paced.

In any other comic Genos would have been a main character.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genos gets stronger every time he loses

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If that was the case you'd think he would eventually reach the point where he stops losing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I consider it a series highlight when during the Genos vs Garou fight, after getting his arm ripped off yet again, he showed that he (or perhaps Dr. Kuseno) has learned from the past by getting the thing to be remote controlled.

It wasn't enough to finish the battle, but it showed he does have the ability to improve.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If that was the case you'd think he would eventually reach the point where he stops losing.

he will when his only win is against saitama

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That goes against the first rule of strength: there is always someone/thing stronger than you.

Even Saitama can't One-Punch boredom by himself :v:

Billzasilver posted:

If I had to guess how strong genos is, I’d say slightly more powerful than tank top master. But I don’t have any proof.

Considering how absolutely bonkers the top S ranks are, Genos probably tops out at Metal Knight's rank. For thematic reasons as well (there's a nice cluster of parallels between them.)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Genos should have Seiya as his mentor.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Genos did really well against Garou. Considering that Garou survived a full assault by silver fang and his buddy thats pretty impressive

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

Genos is super powerful, it's just that he's squared off against some of the most powerful monsters and gotten dunked on. Monsters that Saitama had to onepunch himself, like the Centipede, Asura Rhino or Mosquito lady. For all we know they were as powerful as Boros

I doubt that anyone in the series so far was as powerful as Boros. Boros even had a prediction to go along with his appearance. However, it is indeed possible that those characters might have been stronger than say Sea King.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shadow0 posted:

I doubt that anyone in the series so far was as powerful as Boros. Boros even had a prediction to go along with his appearance. However, it is indeed possible that those characters might have been stronger than say Sea King.

Boros kicked Saitama to the moon. Yeah he's by far the most powerful thing Saitama's fought.

Besides the need to buy vegetables on sale.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kild posted:

Genos gets stronger every time he loses

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Everyone else gets stronger every time he loses too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Elfface posted:

Everyone else gets stronger every time he loses too.

I hate it when RPGs autoscale encounters

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I always like the idea that Vaccine Man was the most powerful villain shown so far.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think in the canon from the books he's at very least a top contender.

The first monsters shown are many leagues above the average monster we see later on and that's a great retroactive joke.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Boros did not have a prediction to go along with his appearance. A prediction had Boros to go along with its appearance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crablante was actually Disaster Level God and no one realized it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RareAcumen posted:

Crablante was actually Disaster Level God and no one realized it.

Not even Crablante.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn’t it implied the prophecy was NOT about Boros?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

RatHat posted:

Wasn’t it implied the prophecy was NOT about Boros?

One of the HA people was speculating about this. I dont know if it was Maruta filler or real ONE content though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there is no filler it's all content

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The prophecy could mean anything. It could refer to boros, garou, the monster association, or saitama himself. Or it could be something completely new. Or it could just be wrong.

One of the strengths of ONE’s writing is that it can mean whatever you think is coolest or funniest. Personally, I thought it was the giant meteor that got punched.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Billzasilver posted:

The prophecy could mean anything. It could refer to boros, garou, the monster association, or saitama himself. Or it could be something completely new. Or it could just be wrong.

One of the strengths of ONE’s writing is that it can mean whatever you think is coolest or funniest. Personally, I thought it was the giant meteor that got punched.

none of those have been a threat to "the earth" just the city/people

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Boros was a threat to the Earth. One of his attacks was called Marble Buster for a reason.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

Very accurate to irl prophecies.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Elfgames posted:

none of those have been a threat to "the earth" just the city/people

a giant meteor wiping out all life on earth would have been quite an issue

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Collapsing Farts posted:

a giant meteor wiping out all life on earth would have been quite an issue
It wasn't big enough for that, it was only going to destroy one city and the surrounding area.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also her prophesies were stated to be very acurate, even if the metor was a threat to "all life" on earth that still isn't a threat to "the earth"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Elfgames posted:

also her prophesies were stated to be very acurate, even if the metor was a threat to "all life" on earth that still isn't a threat to "the earth"

I just want to state that ONE may have not thought about it this way, and also we're reading a translation, the original Japanese may have a subtly different meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pik_d posted:

I just want to state that ONE may have not thought about it this way, and also we're reading a translation, the original Japanese may have a subtly different meaning.

The message was just the Earth is in Trouble.