Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

Wasn't Yoda in the last one, too?

He was in 4, the same as Vader. Ezio Auditore was the guest character in 5.

Honestly I think the “guest” character that fit in the least was Necrid from 2, and he was specifically designed for the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

4 also has everyone's favorite Star Wars character, Starkiller

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, Yoda was pretty bad. Major 'Oddjob' syndrome where he was too short for lots of moves to connect with.

Or possibly everyone's favourite black hole of personality, the protagonist of Force Unleashed. With his memorable traits like... uh... Well, he was named Starkiller, and that's a reference to the original script of New Hope. And he was Vader's secret apprentice!

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Speaking of Soul Calibur, one of my favorite little things in 2 was parrying an attack so the opponent fell off the stage then running after them. It's a fun way to taunt an opponent, like KOing someone in Dead or Alive 4 and continuing to combo/throw them. Those two's parry/counter systems always felt fun and fairly easy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wizzanthos posted:

Speaking of Soul Calibur, one of my favorite little things in 2 was parrying an attack so the opponent fell off the stage then running after them. It's a fun way to taunt an opponent, like KOing someone in Dead or Alive 4 and continuing to combo/throw them. Those two's parry/counter systems always felt fun and fairly easy.

2 was an awesome game and 6 just can’t measure up, even though it’s pretty good. I just miss having Weapon Master mode so drat much, that was weirdly addictive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elfface posted:

Nah, Yoda was pretty bad. Major 'Oddjob' syndrome where he was too short for lots of moves to connect with.

Or possibly everyone's favourite black hole of personality, the protagonist of Force Unleashed. With his memorable traits like... uh... Well, he was named Starkiller, and that's a reference to the original script of New Hope. And he was Vader's secret apprentice!
that gives him one more memorable trait than the guy from Fallen Order seems to have, although this one at least seems like it might actually be a good game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizzanthos posted:

It's not a proper Soul Calibur victory unless you leap into the water after kicking your opponent out of the ring :colbert:.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Related, but my favorite special condition from the little I've played of SC6 is slippery terrain, because both combatants just super-slide around the field and it's hilarious.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elfface posted:

He also wielded a baseball bat disguised as a lightsaber

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dying Light currently has a crossover event with Left 4 Dead 2 of all things going on, the event turns every regular zombie into a fast running one but makes them go down in one or two swings to balance it out, it turns parts of the game into a never ending battle as they just keep coming from every direction at full speed, its the best event to date.

Not to mention Dying Light first released in 2015 and is still in 2019 getting regular updates for free.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Related, but my favorite special condition from the little I've played of SC6 is slippery terrain, because both combatants just super-slide around the field and it's hilarious.

I want to see that in smash bros, just have both characters constantly slipping off of the arena for no reason.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

He also wielded a baseball bat disguised as a lightsaber

He also held it upside-down.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

2 was an awesome game and 6 just can’t measure up, even though it’s pretty good. I just miss having Weapon Master mode so drat much, that was weirdly addictive.
The best Soul Calibur was III, with its slew of new weapon types that have mostly disappeared forever right after that and the cool as hell Chronicles of the Sword mode :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U.T. Raptor posted:

The best Soul Calibur was III, with its slew of new weapon types that have mostly disappeared forever right after that and the cool as hell Chronicles of the Sword mode :colbert:

Nobody remembers it because SC3 tends to erase itself from memory :v:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold :shepface:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

U.T. Raptor posted:

Is this that mode that you could create a team of fighers and move them across a map to take territories, and the fights would take place s your fights? A friend and I made a character each and co-oped that campaign, it was great fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nobody remembers it because SC3 tends to erase itself from memory :v:.

It literally did, yes. Chronicles of the Sword was notorious for corrupt saves requiring you to delete all of your progress.

I still don't really get how that bug worked. Chronicles' save would get corrupted if any other save data on the memory card, at all, for any game, was deleted.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
In Rage 2, all of the random pickups glow really brightly and in a way thats different from any other lighting effects, but only if you can currently pick them up.

For example if you are full on shotgun shells then the shotgun shells don’t shine, but if you can fit a box in inventory, they do shine. All ammo, grenades, health packs, etc. do this.

The firefights are frantic messes that can go on for minutes, and everything in the game encourages constant movement. Because items only glow when you need it, you can easily and constantly see where you need to circle around to when low on ammo.

All the combat in the game is really tight as expected from an ID product, but throughout the game thats been the noticeable little thing that I’ve really come to appreciate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

It literally did, yes. Chronicles of the Sword was notorious for corrupt saves requiring you to delete all of your progress.

I still don't really get how that bug worked. Chronicles' save would get corrupted if any other save data on the memory card, at all, for any game, was deleted.

Bad indexing?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

In Rage 2, all of the random pickups glow really brightly and in a way thats different from any other lighting effects, but only if you can currently pick them up.

For example if you are full on shotgun shells then the shotgun shells don’t shine, but if you can fit a box in inventory, they do shine. All ammo, grenades, health packs, etc. do this.

The firefights are frantic messes that can go on for minutes, and everything in the game encourages constant movement. Because items only glow when you need it, you can easily and constantly see where you need to circle around to when low on ammo.

All the combat in the game is really tight as expected from an ID product, but throughout the game thats been the noticeable little thing that I’ve really come to appreciate.

Rage 2 was a lot of fun and it’s a shame it mostly got passed over. I liked the alternate fire modes and how well they complemented their primary fire mode, like the shotgun getting a powerful slug to give you long range power at the cost of charge time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

I would love this in every game. Or at least some other bonus for picking up stuff you don't need. I don't get why in God of War for example you can waste health and rage pickups by nabbing them when you're already full. Unless they secretly give XP boosts.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Outer Worlds is finally out and in the ~2 hours I've gotten to play it so far I'd say it's Obsidian at it's best.

My favorite little thing about it so far is that there are [Lie] conversation options, like you'd expect, but unlike in a lot of RPGs it can actually be the good guy option, instead of being the lovely thing you do to screw over innocent people. For instance (minor spoilers from the first 20 minutes) a corporate soldier/parking enforcement officer attempts to fine you for illegally parking your ship in the middle of a field. You can tell her you were only aboard because you're a ship safety inspector working for the same corporation, and it works.

The writing is also fantastic. The very first NPC you can interact with is a gut-shot corporate soldier who dutifully sputters out the company motto when he greets you. If you patch him up he asks you not to tell anyone because it's against company policy for him to accept help from employees of other corps

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a mod for Doom (yes, the original Doom) that makes it so that picking up an item that has a smaller variant will split it into the smaller ones if you don't need the whole thing. No more accidentally walking over huge boxes of 24 shotgun shells or whatever when you're almost full, the game will split them into individual little 4-shell pickups! Ever since playing that 20-some-odd year old game with that mod, I have wanted every video game ever with ammo juggling as a mechanic to work exactly that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(Outer Worlds)

Riatsala posted:

The writing is also fantastic. The very first NPC you can interact with is a gut-shot corporate soldier who dutifully sputters out the company motto when he greets you. If you patch him up he asks you not to tell anyone because it's against company policy for him to accept help from employees of other corps

Anyone know what happens if you tell his superior outside that you did patch him up? I didn't throw him under the bus but it's Obsidian so I know they considered that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aphrodite posted:

(Outer Worlds)

Anyone know what happens if you tell his superior outside that you did patch him up? I didn't throw him under the bus but it's Obsidian so I know they considered that.

I immediately forgot and did tell them I did so and he's getting a fine because an unapproved doctor treated him

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

RBA Starblade posted:

I immediately forgot and did tell them I did so and he's getting a fine because an unapproved doctor treated him

Same. I was weighing "what if no one knows he's there and he dies" vs "talking to the police" and I did a bad praxis

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course I then convinced them to charge and they both died (my accidental whack to the head of the lieutenant contributed a bit. Oops) so maybe cave guy is due for a promotion.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Outer Worlds is finally out and in the ~2 hours I've gotten to play it so far I'd say it's Obsidian at it's best.

I'm in the same boat, it's scratching that New Vegas itch so good so far.

The writing and dialog is pretty great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm in the same boat, it's scratching that New Vegas itch so good so far.

The writing and dialog is pretty great.

It really brings to mind how I felt playing NV for the first time but without a familiar setting. I also love that it has a whole new reason for why you know nothing about the setting that isn’t “amnesia” for once.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As much as I've despised the back half of Persona 5 so far, the revelation on the way to the true ending was cool as hell. I'm trying to keep spoilers to an absolute minimum here but still:

You're in the "final" dungeon of the game, it feels very end-game-y, and you get to the boss. For lore reasons you'd expect this boss to just kinda sit there and take it, but it fights back - and eventually speaks. And when it did, I immediately thought "hold up, I recognize that voice even through those filters...". Then you get to the end of the scripted fight, and it starts glowing - not purple or yellow like every other evil thing in the game, but a very particular shade of blue. And then it all comes together....and lampshades the fact that a recurring character had a wildly different voice and personality as well.

Plus everything hat happens immediately prior to the revelation is loving metal as hell, goddamn that was a cool scene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

food court bailiff posted:

As much as I've despised the back half of Persona 5 so far, the revelation on the way to the true ending was cool as hell. I'm trying to keep spoilers to an absolute minimum here but still:

You're in the "final" dungeon of the game, it feels very end-game-y, and you get to the boss. For lore reasons you'd expect this boss to just kinda sit there and take it, but it fights back - and eventually speaks. And when it did, I immediately thought "hold up, I recognize that voice even through those filters...". Then you get to the end of the scripted fight, and it starts glowing - not purple or yellow like every other evil thing in the game, but a very particular shade of blue. And then it all comes together....and lampshades the fact that a recurring character had a wildly different voice and personality as well.

Plus everything hat happens immediately prior to the revelation is loving metal as hell, goddamn that was a cool scene.

iirc the original Japanese VA for that character died, so nobody was gonna blink at them sounding different in Persona 5. The nice touch with the English dub is the original VA from P3 and P4 returns at the end after they're freed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc the original Japanese VA for that character died, so nobody was gonna blink at them sounding different in Persona 5. The nice touch with the English dub is the original VA from P3 and P4 returns at the end after they're freed.

Yeah, I knew that about the Japanese VA - it was actually kind of a shock to see him in this game at all at first, since I know in Japan they often like to retire characters like that when the VA passes.

Also, a thing dragging P5 at that point down: The "real" guy doesn't have any voice lines for Velvet Room functions, it's just weirdly quiet as you do fusions and use the compendium.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I would love this in every game. Or at least some other bonus for picking up stuff you don't need. I don't get why in God of War for example you can waste health and rage pickups by nabbing them when you're already full. Unless they secretly give XP boosts.

In the Devil May Cry series you at least get money instead of health when you pick up health orbs at full health. It's an easy thing to implement; one would hope that more games would do that kind of thing.

One thing I like about the first God of War game at least (I only every played the first two) is that they put more health/mana upgrades in the game than you can actually use. Once you cap out, any further upgrades you find turn into big piles of money instead. Effectively it's way easier to "100%" the game in the sense of getting a full-power Kratos than it would be if you had to make sure to hunt down every single chest.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

On that note I like how the Far Cry games give you achievements for getting MOST of the collectibles. You rarely have to hunt down every single thing, it'll usually be something like 80% and it's so much more enjoyable since you can do most of them just getting through the games

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still cant believe the guy who made loving Drakengard was the first one to let people just buy achievements they didnt want to do with ingame currency. Taro really mellowed out on his deep hatred for completionists

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I think putting that in is the perfect own to completionists, actually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can buy the achievement for getting a million G

It costs a million G

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Honestly I think the “guest” character that fit in the least was Necrid from 2, and he was specifically designed for the game

My vote is Link also from 2. Because he has the same "my weapon is every weapon" that Necrid has while also being a famous character from another series.

Spawn carrying around a collection of adorably small axes was somehow less out of place.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Oddly, I think Link meshed better into the series than Geralt, and I loving love the Witcher games. His somber and decidedly not flashy armor doesn't fit in with the bright, technicolor flashiness of Soul Caliber. The reason 2B works so well is that, let's face it, smtake away the android bit and a blindfolded, fetishy French maid with floating swords makes sense in the Soul Caliber world.

Making the signs use adrenaline was a clever way to handle them and I like how he plays, but, stylistically he doesn't really fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i'm still salty they didn't give 2B a story mode to work her into the lore somehow