Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

I’ve met lots of people like this. They define themselves by their consumed media and it shows a marked lack of actual personality. My usual response is a snarky comment that’s funny but also pretty insulting because I’m such a Chandler

More like couldyoubeanymoreoldpainless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
sorry for getting political but gently caress my pet peeve is the clueless fash.

Not the open neonazis, I hate them but hey at least they know what they are and know what they want.

What I am so sick of is the generic white boy "rational" shitlords I have to deal with 15 times a day who openly espouse white supremacy and fascism but in a guise of "oho I'm just thinking and asking questions" and "wellllllll why is it that white people in the USA are richer than non-white people....." and "lol bruh it is just a meme" and "oh you are a self-hating jew" and "lol OF COURSE you think I'm one hood away from prancing down Broadway screaming 'death to all kikes and n-words,' you are all like that"

e: wait the apolitical thread is the other one, but still.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Oct 23, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pet peeve: parents who dress their twins without a way to distinguish them.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Pet peeve: when people say something like "I was thinking to myself earlier..."

Motherfucker, do you often think to other people?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Retailers have already put out christmas chocolate and other festive treats here.

I could barf.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Helios Grime posted:

Retailers have already put out christmas chocolate and other festive treats here.

I could barf.

They started here the first week of October, it's disgusting.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

When comedies have actors do terrible impressions of famous people and try to reinforce the gag by having the other characters saying the famous person's full name over and over. I watched Walk Hard last night, and the part with the Beatles was just awful. It felt like every sentence ended with "Paul McCartney from the Beatles" or "John Lennon from the Beatles".

Its a bad joke! Stop thinking your audience is stupid, we'll understand they're the Beatles. Even if there is a person who doesn't, it still works as a send-up of 60's pop groups. Stop repeating their names!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Chip McFuck posted:

When comedies have actors do terrible impressions of famous people and try to reinforce the gag by having the other characters saying the famous person's full name over and over. I watched Walk Hard last night, and the part with the Beatles was just awful. It felt like every sentence ended with "Paul McCartney from the Beatles" or "John Lennon from the Beatles".

Its a bad joke! Stop thinking your audience is stupid, we'll understand they're the Beatles. Even if there is a person who doesn't, it still works as a send-up of 60's pop groups. Stop repeating their names!

I'll agree with this, but I think in the case of Walk Hard, that was probably part of the joke, as the rest of the movie is similarly over-the-top with its send-ups. Then again, I love that movie and think it's an underrated classic.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pet peeve: parents who dress their twins without a way to distinguish them.

There was a family on my street growing up that did this for the first few years of the twins' lives. They also gave the twins alliterative names, too, which is something I find annoying.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

The whole joke is that music biopics treat their audience like idiots and have people announce who they are when they appear on screen.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Sure, I just don't think it's funny. It comes off like a bad SNL sketch to me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kombucha

Stop offering it to me and chill out about the fact I don't like it, you probably shouldn't like it either but you do and I keep it to myself that i think you're disgusting for it

Yes I like beer yes I like wine yes I like fermented foods no I don't like kombucha

Oh it's the same thing!? Then why does it taste like rear end vinegar

Yes I've tried that brand. Yes that one too. No I don't want to sip from her murky jar of chunks I don't know who she is

gently caress off already

Also the same goes for those people with the drat garlic drinks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Kombucha

Stop offering it to me and chill out about the fact I don't like it, you probably shouldn't like it either but you do and I keep it to myself that i think you're disgusting for it

Yes I like beer yes I like wine yes I like fermented foods no I don't like kombucha

Yes I've tried that brand. Yes that one too. No I don't want to sip from her murky jar of chunks I don't know who she is

ok but have you tried it with vodka

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I'm gonna give the rotting mushroom tea a pass, thanks.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Brawnfire posted:

Kombucha

lol, just lol if you're not down with the 'buch'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Kombucha seems to me like one of those things that started out as a joke, or at best something people only drank out of necessity, and somehow it became a fad. How can anyone look at that weird puck floating on top and think "gonna drink the juices under there"? At least the egyptian mummy tomb juice had some history behind it, like maybe you'd absorb a ghost or something, but kombucha...no thanks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That "nuts about the nats" song. I get it, I moved in to the unfortunate location where they are the local team, but is it really necessary to spam play that loving song on the morning radio 5-10 times in a row? That rear end in a top hat Elliot in the morning was giving out tickets and kept saying "again" and it was like some form of torture. It's one of those songs that is technically catchy but not because it's good.

who even gets nuts about baseball anyway? Even when it's exciting and high scoring it still takes like 4-5 loving hours. Just win in 4 so I can go another year without having to hear about baseball, please.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was dragged to a baseball game once for a friend's birthday, she said we didn't have to stick around for the whole thing so we didn't, it was so boring. I have several friends who love that sport but I can't understand why, there are no tense moments in the game the way you have with football when the ball approaches the goal and everyone goes all "oh poo poo".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Kombucha seems to me like one of those things that started out as a joke, or at best something people only drank out of necessity, and somehow it became a fad. How can anyone look at that weird puck floating on top and think "gonna drink the juices under there"? At least the egyptian mummy tomb juice had some history behind it, like maybe you'd absorb a ghost or something, but kombucha...no thanks.

I would drink a ghost

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

I was dragged to a baseball game once for a friend's birthday, she said we didn't have to stick around for the whole thing so we didn't, it was so boring. I have several friends who love that sport but I can't understand why, there are no tense moments in the game the way you have with football when the ball approaches the goal and everyone goes all "oh poo poo".

Major League Baseball sucks. It's just not good.

Minor League Baseball is awesome because they don't care. Hot dogs shot out of a t-shirt cannon, free bread night, getting rip roaring drunk in the parking lot. Minor League is how baseball should be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

The playoffs are pretty much entirely made of tense moments. Game 7 of the Cubs-Indians series was easily one of the most intense sports games I’ve ever watched.

In the regular season you’re right though. When you’re playing 162 games it feels like nothing really matters. People advocate for the sport’s leisureliness as if it’s a good thing. It’s unwatchable on TV and the reason to go to a game is because it’s fun to hang out on a nice day, eat a hot dog and listen to the crack of a bat.

I love even numbered years because you get big international soccer tournaments in the summer so I can get a sports fix that’s actually good.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I'm in my 30s and still have no idea how baseball works because every time I ask what's going on people think it's hilarious to make up a bunch of Calvinball bullshit instead of explaining what just happened.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hockey is the only sport I watch that I can actually follow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like my roommate's philosophy on sports, just watch the last quarter, that's when all the action happens anyway.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking as a non-sports guy, hockey is highly underrated. It's the only sport I'll actually pay to see.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how there is built-in fighting that doesn't always end in suspensions/fines/bans. Just two guys awkwardly trying to get the other's jersey over his head so he can punch him freely until a ref wrangles him. Some players even let the fans get involved in the fun like Tie Domi did.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Baseball is great and you're all idiots. I get why it can seem boring but if you know what's going on it can be great. Watching a really good pitcher blow through a lineup is magical. Also the average game is like 3 hours not 4-5 lol

Lotion Tester posted:

I'm in my 30s and still have no idea how baseball works because every time I ask what's going on people think it's hilarious to make up a bunch of Calvinball bullshit instead of explaining what just happened.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I've got no problem giving you real answers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love to watch esports

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Joey Freshwater posted:

Baseball is great and you're all idiots. I get why it can seem boring but if you know what's going on it can be great. Watching a really good pitcher blow through a lineup is magical. Also the average game is like 3 hours not 4-5 lol

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I've got no problem giving you real answers.

Given the right circumstances any sport can be great. The problem is that baseball mostly is not. Most pitchers aren't great and even the great ones don't just blow through lineups every time they start. Even the greatest batters don't jack one out of the park at a significant enough rate to be worth tuning in to their games. It's mostly crap with occasional glory. Just watch the highlights on ESPN and you can follow along just fine.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Joey Freshwater posted:

I have this sentiment, just with F1 racing. It might look boring and yes, some teams just plain win because they got more money. But the sheer effort going into figuring out the conditions, when to switch tires, skill of the driver etc. makes it a lot cooler once you understand the groundwork.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think it's less about knowing what is going on, and more about whether you care. Like I can appreciate how hard F1 racing is or baseball is, but I just don't care. I want to see more crashes and the ball going large distances and the score reaching large numbers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm still waiting for MMA, american football, and larping to finally join together and give me my future favourite sport: organized mass combat.

Just give me two teams of 12 wielding larp weapons and armour on a football field kicking the crap out of eachother with the goal of taking the other team's flag or whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Capture the flag filmed by players on go pro and drones overhead, the game projected holographically onto a "field" for live stadium viewing

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm still waiting for MMA, american football, and larping to finally join together and give me my future favourite sport: organized mass combat.

Just give me two teams of 12 wielding larp weapons and armour on a football field kicking the crap out of eachother with the goal of taking the other team's flag or whatever.

There is a sort of medival MMA fighting, but it honestly does not do HEMA and other practices like it any justice. I would rather have it be based on points, speed, and skill rather than bashing the opponent with a sword.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Brawnfire posted:

Capture the flag filmed by players on go pro and drones overhead, the game projected holographically onto a "field" for live stadium viewing

Battledrones

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

There is a sort of medival MMA fighting, but it honestly does not do HEMA and other practices like it any justice. I would rather have it be based on points, speed, and skill rather than bashing the opponent with a sword.

I think bringing back jousting would be cool. You could make it exciting enough for the modern market with improved armor and I don't know, maybe tipping the lances with explosives or maybe electrified lances to taze them off the horse? Just an idea.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Not as cool as seeing F1 cars crash and swirl 40 times. They just fall off and break their neck 1/5 times. That is just depressing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Midig posted:

Skill should count, but I want a proper combat between teams, not just individuals. Outmatching the enemy team in 1v1s should be viable, but sucking 1v1 and having far better tactics and/or strategy should be viable too. That's why you need the layer of fighting over territory or flags or something for a larger goal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I really hope there's siege scenarios and artillery and stuff

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

"Fashion souls". From soft didn't invent the concept of armour changing your character model, not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

AlphaKretin posted:

"Fashion souls". From soft didn't invent the concept of armour changing your character model, not even close.

Unless it's really different for Dark Souls that's... not what that means? Or at least I never interpreted it mean that.

It's like Fashion Hunter (for Monster Hunter). It's not implying that Monster Hunter invented the concept of armor changing your character model, but rather it's means picking your armor for looks, rather than stats.

I would assume the same is true of Fashion Souls, but I haven't played Dark Souls, so I don't know for sure.