Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1187718522430001155

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Hmmm, even Marcy doesn't seem to have much insight into what DOJ might be going after with a criminal probe into the Mueller probe, but the timing on this seems awfully suspicious.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1187711060196954114?s=20

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Oh wow. Talk about a guy for whom Trump's "charms" to encourage people to protect him are uh....very ineffective. This guy will burn Trump to the ground and then go out for a nice, rare steak dinner afterward to celebrate. Bolton strikes me as one of those guys that will actually kill for you if you're in something together but cut your throat if you cross him. Trump crossed him.

I hate Bolton but I'm 100% here for him burning Trump down.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

Oh wow. Talk about a guy for whom Trump's "charms" to encourage people to protect him are uh....very ineffective. This guy will burn Trump to the ground and then go out for a nice, rare steak dinner afterward to celebrate. Bolton strikes me as one of those guys that will actually kill for you if you're in something together but cut your throat if you cross him. Trump crossed him.

He’s going to show up to the deposition wearing a MAGA hat and say “gotcha!”

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

I said the same thing, almost word for word, to my wife just before I scrolled down to your post. He's a missile with lock on and aimed at tRump.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Brony Car posted:

He’s going to show up to the deposition wearing a MAGA hat and say “gotcha!”

I highly doubt that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

Bolton is competent global empire evil, and Trump has stained his name and attempted to throw him under the bus. I imagine Tucker and Fox siding with Trump over him only threw salt in the wound

Bolton's going to throw Trump under a steamroller. Worst possible person to screw over :getin:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Paradoxish posted:

The Green Party is pretty well known thanks to Ralph Nader’s 2000 run. Nader wasn’t a nobody and that run got a lot of play in 2000, especially because the media was thinking that they had another Ross Perot to talk about. I’m willing to bet that the Green Party is the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of Americans when they think “third party,” much to the dismay of Libertarians everywhere.

I would bet people of a certain age still think of the Reform Party

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SpannerX posted:

I said the same thing, almost word for word, to my wife just before I scrolled down to your post. He's a missile with lock on and aimed at tRump.

He's the Wormtongue to Trump's Saruman.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure a lot of people talked about and even voted for Ralph Nader without even knowing or caring he was running on a ticket. It's not like he was running on a platform other than 'gush vs bore amirite'

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I know this is gonna sound a bit pedantic, but can we not do this? It's the "DemocratIC Party", and the nominee for the Democratic Party will be the DemocratIC nominee. Rush Limbaugh started calling it the "Democrat Party" in an attempt to otherize and delegitimize Democrats and it's made its way WAY too far into modern political lexicon. Don't accept their framing.

I go out of my way to not use the term, but I never really got how this is a "slur" or delegitimizing, since a party member is called a Democrat. You actually call them Democrats in your post. It seems totally innocuous.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Data Graham posted:

I would bet people of a certain age still think of the Reform Party

You might be right, but I feel like more people remember Ross Perot than the Reform Party itself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ewiley posted:

Hmmm, even Marcy doesn't seem to have much insight into what DOJ might be going after with a criminal probe into the Mueller probe, but the timing on this seems awfully suspicious.

You can bet it will be something stupid, whatever it is

Also none of the stuff she theorizes in there anyone will care about outside of the right wing nuts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VH4Ever posted:

bolton wants to damage trump as much as he can without damaging his wingnut welfare career and so that latter part will influence how much he's willing to go hard against trump

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I go out of my way to not use the term, but I never really got how this is a "slur" or delegitimizing, since a party member is called a Democrat. You actually call them Democrats in your post. It seems totally innocuous.

It's not a slur, it's just doing the conservatives work for them. They did focus groups and found that Democrat party polled slightly worse than Democratic party. So they all starting saying Democrat. This was back in the day when they were more organized though. Now its just reflex or baked in.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

I highly doubt that.

Yep, the only thing Bolton cares about is American power projection and Trump ruined that.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people talked about and even voted for Ralph Nader without even knowing or caring he was in a party.

Weren’t the post-Nader struggles of the Green Party the big reason why Sanders ended up going for the Democratic nomination instead of just running as a third party candidate?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ewiley posted:

Because it's a fishing expedition. Hell, they'll probably check for goddamn parking tickets just because.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Because the party is called the Democratic Party, that's why it's a slur. I get that you're not a fan of arguing in good faith, based on your post history, but it is absolutely an attempt to delegitimize and otherize the opposition and anyone who says otherwise is flat-out lying.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

VH4Ever posted:

There’s also a lot of the GOP who slobber all over Bolton’s war loving dick, so this has the potential to give GOP reps and senators who personally dislike Trump some cover to come out against him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Paradoxish posted:

You might be right, but I feel like more people remember Ross Perot than the Reform Party itself.

True, I'd forgotten that it was the banner Pat Buchanan and even Trump were under.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1187724402370187264?s=20

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My favorite bit about Bolton's role so far is when the Ambassador told him about the Ukrainian aid being held up and he goes "Oh gosh, you should probably go tell Pompeo about that as he certainly doesn't know *wink* but will definitely know one you tell him in a way that creates a paper trail *wink* so that he can do something about it."

And then apparently Pompeo didn't do anything about it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What are the chances that anyone signing a "this is a sham" proclamation would ever vote to convict? Graham getting this many on board already doesn't seem like that bad for Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
LMAO this poll question

https://twitter.com/MarkMellman/status/1187574990201327616

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

The resolution was just condemning how Schiff is handling the investigation? Yeah this is bad, but you still need like 20 R's to flip for a conviction no?

Munkeymon posted:

Because it's a fishing expedition. Hell, they'll probably check for goddamn parking tickets just because.

Ideally this would be another article of impeachment that should also implicate Barr

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

My favorite bit about Bolton's role so far is when the Ambassador told him about the Ukrainian aid being held up and he goes "Oh gosh, you should probably go tell Pompeo about that as he certainly doesn't know *wink* but will definitely know one you tell him in a way that creates a paper trail *wink* so that he can do something about it."

this is, jokes aside, exactly the kind of bureaucratic-bullshit-to-crush-his-internal-enemies stuff that Bolton is incredibly famous for from his days in previous administrations. his instincts to gently caress over fellow bureaucrats to take their power are almost as legendary as his instincts for starting unnecessary wars and murdering civilians

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

What are the chances that anyone signing a "this is a sham" proclamation would ever vote to convict? Graham getting this many on board already doesn't seem like that bad for Trump.

graham's original letter was very explicitly "no quid pro quo we'll vote to aquit" and even tom loving cotton told him to stuff it on that

this letter basically just asks the house to make their evidence public, which they will definitely do, and he still couldn't get 7 republicans and manchin on board

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

My favorite part of this whole situation is that this is probably the dumbest possible thing to actually stick. This isn't even good corruption. The fact that so many people were apparently complicit in an attempt to manufacture an idiotic scandal against someone who probably won't even be nominated is just... what the gently caress?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There’s also a lot of the GOP who slobber all over Bolton’s war loving dick, so this has the potential to give GOP reps and senators who personally dislike Trump some cover to come out against him.

See, exactly. Objectively, whatever else you think of Trump, he has thwarted and stymied the efforts of the more war-hungry assholes to charge in and do some of their own ethnic cleansing (no war in Venezuela, Iran and we just left Syria) and there's definitely a war hawk side of the Republicans who, I am sure, aren't happy with it. Makes me wonder if a meeting in a smoky room happened somewhere where Bolton, fresh from the sting of being punked by Trump, volunteered to knife him in the back for the "good" of war hawking assholes everywhere. Hey, if it burns Trump down I'm here for it. We just have to corral those motherfuckers in the chaos that follows with President Pence for however long that lasts, if that happens.

Tibalt posted:

See that's what I mean. He was telling people how to cover their own asses in a way that specifically implicated people like Pompeo in what was going on. Say what you will about Bolton but he's no dummy, and I'm sure the second he saw what was up he was in full CYA mode for himself and anyone who approached him. No way he goes to jail for Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is another good point:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1187726650999529474

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If you subscribe to the belief that Tulsi Gabbard is compromised and is a Russian asset, which I don’t because it is crazy, then technically what she is doing is the worst possible thing for Democrats.

She is young, looks great on TV, has conservative appeal and military experience, and she is a soon-to-be former Democratic Presidential Candidate. She can do some real damage if she becomes a permanent Fox News contributor. She would become a legitimate barrier to chipping away at that ~95% support that Trump has amongst Fox viewers. All they would need to do is trot her out a few times a week to support DNC conspiracy theories, bash Hillary, and support Trump’s military decisions. It’s hard to chip away at Trump’s support when such a high profile Dem is on his side. A third-party run is too obvious; her becoming a Fox News commentator is probably the best use of her (again, if you subscribe to the Russian asset theory)

If you subscribe to the money theory, it also makes the most sense too. That’s why she’ll probably do it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Keep in mind that John Bolton is "only" 70 years old too. He might very well think that there's a place for him in a future Republican administration if he can throw Trump under the bus without looking too much like a self-serving rat.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

"And they were like 'No, no, no, Bolton, we want to do normal crimes, not WAR crimes!' and I just looked at them like they were crazy!"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

My favorite part of this whole situation is that this is probably the dumbest possible thing to actually stick. This isn't even good corruption. The fact that so many people were apparently complicit in an attempt to manufacture an idiotic scandal against someone who probably won't even be nominated is just... what the gently caress?

It's pretty on brand for these chucklefucks, actually.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slowpoke! posted:

If you subscribe to the belief that Tulsi Gabbard is compromised and is a Russian asset, which I don’t because it is crazy, then technically what she is doing is the worst possible thing for Democrats.

She is young, looks great on TV, has conservative appeal and military experience, and she is a soon-to-be former Democratic Presidential Candidate. She can do some real damage if she becomes a permanent Fox News contributor. She would become a legitimate barrier to chipping away at that ~95% support that Trump has amongst Fox viewers. All they would need to do is trot her out a few times a week to support DNC conspiracy theories, bash Hillary, and support Trump’s military decisions. It’s hard to chip away at Trump’s support when such a high profile Dem is on his side. A third-party run is too obvious; her becoming a Fox News commentator is probably the best use of her (again, if you subscribe to the Russian asset theory)

If you subscribe to the money theory, it also makes the most sense too. That’s why she’ll probably do it.

i generally agree with the idea that trump's only real path to victory relies on spoiler candidates, so the idea of a tulsi campaign is...not great...but it is far from clear to me she's an effective spoiler. she seems to me much more likely to appeal to republicans who don't love trump but can't bring themselves to vote for democrats. she's not a far-left candidate, she's Republicans' Favorite Democrat and that sounds like someone who peels off republicans

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Because the party is called the Democratic Party, that's why it's a slur. I get that you're not a fan of arguing in good faith, based on your post history, but it is absolutely an attempt to delegitimize and otherize the opposition and anyone who says otherwise is flat-out lying.

It just seems weird that the term Democrat isn't otherizing a person, but Democrat Party is, that's all. TheDeadlyShoe's marketing explanation makes sense, though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

she's literally already doing this dude, it doesn't actually matter at all

approximately 1 in 100 democratic primary votes ever even considered voting for her and she's long been a marginal figure because of her "far left on economic issues but also fascist" platform

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

67 is a very high bar when you're starting with 45-ish Senators, many of whom are up for re-election in deeply red states in 2020. Honestly I am not sure how a 'damaged' Trump is any different from the current one we have now, other than possibly tipping the Senate to Dems in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

she's literally already doing this dude, it doesn't actually matter at all

approximately 1 in 100 democratic primary votes ever even considered voting for her and she's long been a marginal figure because of her "far left on economic issues but also fascist" platform

given how close key states were in 2016, that a spoiler might pull "just" 1 in 100 democrats is actually kind of a big deal, every vote matters for a state like wisconsin