Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CascadeBeta posted:

"And they were like 'No, no, no, Bolton, we want to do normal crimes, not WAR crimes!' and I just looked at them like they were crazy!"

"I mean I love a good war crime or regime change, but even I have standards!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ewiley posted:

67 is a very high bar when you're starting with 45-ish Senators, many of whom are up for re-election in deeply red states in 2020. Honestly I am not sure how a 'damaged' Trump is any different from the current one we have now, other than possibly tipping the Senate to Dems in 2020.

as mitch mcconnell identified in 2008: the public assumes that anything done on a bipartisan basis is good. if there's a bipartisan majority of senators to remove trump from power, even if there's not a bipartisan supermajority, that will significantly damage trump heading into 2020

it will also significantly damage his ability to make people walk the plank for him in the leadup to 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

she's literally already doing this dude, it doesn't actually matter at all

approximately 1 in 100 democratic primary votes ever even considered voting for her and she's long been a marginal figure because of her "far left on economic issues but also fascist" platform

She's a grifting extremist moron thats basically a liberterian, that attracts thirsty conservative "liberals" and tankies for God knows what reason

She's going nowhere fast

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 25, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

here's the tweet about how mitch worked with graham to tone down his resolution specifically to get people on board who are not on board with trump's conduct

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1187569438817689605

that's why only having 46 votes at this point is so bad: because he doesn't have those 46 votes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

given how close key states were in 2016, that a spoiler might pull "just" 1 in 100 democrats is actually kind of a big deal, every vote matters for a state like wisconsin

Tulsi's far more interested in making bank as Fox News' future favorite Democrat than she is in running a quixotic third-party bid.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

eke out posted:

this is, jokes aside, exactly the kind of bureaucratic-bullshit-to-crush-his-internal-enemies stuff that Bolton is incredibly famous for from his days in previous administrations. his instincts to gently caress over fellow bureaucrats to take their power are almost as legendary as his instincts for starting unnecessary wars and murdering civilians
It's more to me that Bolton had all the subtleties of "just gonna CC Legal and Compliance to this email" and Pompeo either didn't get the hint or didn't think he'd get caught.

But apparently Mulvaney and Barr are deeply involved so maybe I should stop being so surprised at the incompetent criming.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

here's the tweet about how mitch worked with graham to tone down his resolution specifically to get people on board who are not on board with trump's conduct

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1187569438817689605

that's why only having 46 votes at this point is so bad: because he doesn't have those 46 votes

Yeah the goal here was to get every Republican to sign it, right? Which is why it was so milquetoast. And it still didn't work to get everyone!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
You guys are way too plugged in. Nobody other than politics junkies and presumably some Hawaiians even know she is.

She’ll show up in fox for a few months as a token “reasonable” democrat before fading into total oblivion.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

given how close key states were in 2016, that a spoiler might pull "just" 1 in 100 democrats is actually kind of a big deal, every vote matters for a state like wisconsin

this is like saying that i should be worried that we're alienating the Tim Ryan voters. poo poo, tom steyer is five times as successful as tulsi already. these people will always be out there, we just happen to have a lot of data about exactly how little voters care for or even think about her in particular due to the primary.

if it comes down to the kind of person in Wisconsin who loves Tulsi (assuming, for the moment, your premise that those people even exist at all in that area) but hates [Warren/Bernie/Butt] we've already lost the election

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah the goal here was to get every Republican to sign it, right? Which is why it was so milquetoast. And it still didn't work to get everyone!

Yeah that's what's so damning, this should've been a softball "we stand with the prez" pointless resolution, and even how ineffective it was they couldn't get 100%.

And with McConnell spiking Trump's characterization of their phone call I've come to think there's a nonzero chance of removal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Numlock posted:

You guys are way too plugged in. Nobody other than politics junkies and presumably some Hawaiians even know she is.

She’ll show up in fox for a few months as a token “reasonable” democrat before fading into total oblivion.

If she keeps up the Fox News grift a whole lot more people will learn about her.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TulliusCicero posted:

"I mean I love a good war crime or regime change, but even I have standards!"

It's because there's a realistic chance of him being held accountable for the domestic crime, unlike the war crime.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

evilweasel posted:

i generally agree with the idea that trump's only real path to victory relies on spoiler candidates, so the idea of a tulsi campaign is...not great...but it is far from clear to me she's an effective spoiler. she seems to me much more likely to appeal to republicans who don't love trump but can't bring themselves to vote for democrats. she's not a far-left candidate, she's Republicans' Favorite Democrat and that sounds like someone who peels off republicans

Tulsi has struggled to crack 1% in the primary polls, and didnt even qualify for the second to last debate because of it. She is FAR more popular with the right than the left (for obvious reasons) and it would be absolutely hilarious to run her as a third party candidate so that the GOP can cannibalize their own voterbase and cost themselves the election to own the libs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Numlock posted:

the best way to ensure that future wingnut welfare slot is doing the third-party run, which fox will signal-boost incessantly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dubar posted:

Tulsi has struggled to crack 1% in the primary polls, and didnt even qualify for the second to last debate because of it. She is FAR more popular with the right than the left (for obvious reasons) and it would be absolutely hilarious to run her as a third party candidate so that the GOP can cannibalize their own voterbase and cost themselves the election to own the libs.

i agree that's pretty likely, but given that i think trump will be defeated unless he gets a favorable spoiler candidate i would rather avoid that less than 50% chance her spoiler run hurts dems

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Their entire line of attack is to attack the legitimacy of the process itself and make it look partisan, so a bunch of republican senators refusing to vote on party lines on a condemnation of that process hurts that narrative. It also implies that Trumps support may not be as strong as it seems outwardly.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

evilweasel posted:

the best way to ensure that future wingnut welfare slot is doing the third-party run, which fox will signal-boost incessantly

Couldn't this backfire for them? If she gets tons of airtime on Fox that's mostly boosting her recognition among Republicans.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Hobo Clown posted:

What are the chances that anyone signing a "this is a sham" proclamation would ever vote to convict? Graham getting this many on board already doesn't seem like that bad for Trump.

It's enough to keep it from passing and also it means that support for the proceedings are bipartisan.

It's a pretty clear sign that the firewall protecting him is starting to crack, not collapse yet, but it's not a good sign for him.

It'll send a very strong message if the vote to convict is over 50 even if it doesn't reach the threshold to remove. Part of why the Clinton impeachment was a wet thud is that it didn't even get majority support in the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skex posted:

It's enough to keep it from passing and also it means that support for the proceedings are bipartisan.

It's a pretty clear sign that the firewall protecting him is starting to crack, not collapse yet, but it's not a good sign for him.

It'll send a very strong message if the vote to convict is over 50 even if it doesn't reach the threshold to remove. Part of why the Clinton impeachment was a wet thud is that it didn't even get majority support in the Senate.

yeah: all democrats voted to aquit, and some republicans voted to aquit: ergo aquittal was "bipartisan" and conviction was "partisan"

if that flips that's not good for trump

Numlock
May 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The Venn diagram of “Fox News viewers” and “People who might conceivably vote for a Democrat” is two circles separated by a distance you could fit the entire Milky Way into.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Numlock posted:

The Venn diagram of “Fox News viewers” and “People who might conceivably vote for a Democrat” is two circles separated by a distance you could fit the entire Milky Way into.

once she's on fox enough, other news orgs might start to cover her because people talk about her

fox news viewers do talk to people who are sorta on the fence about trump, and so fox news viewers talking incessantly to those other people will diffuse her out there

i'm not saying it will work, just that would be the idea

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

yeah: all democrats voted to aquit, and some republicans voted to aquit: ergo aquittal was "bipartisan" and conviction was "partisan"

if that flips that's not good for trump

Yeah, Susan Collins was one of the R's that voted to acquit, I think. Which was part of the reason that until last year she was kind of considered open minded and a maverick or whatever the gently caress dumb terms they use for Republicans who sometimes show a sliver of a conscience.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I’m much more worried about a spoiler effect from someone like Bloomberg than Tulsi. Tulsi has very marginal support, but I think Bloomberg could peal off enough upper middle class to wealthy democrats to be a problem.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Tulsi looks like a Fox News anchor. Put her in some pastels and short skirt and a bunch of their viewers wouldn’t realize that she was a new arrival. This is the easiest media pitch one can make.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Hobo Clown posted:

What are the chances that anyone signing a "this is a sham" proclamation would ever vote to convict? Graham getting this many on board already doesn't seem like that bad for Trump.

Trump is stomping around shouting at his sycophants demanding they 'do more!' Many of them - the ones most afraid of Trump's ire - are desperately looking for performative ways to cool Trump off (at least in /their/ direction). And Trump seems to have leverage
(beyond mere 'party loyalty') on a /lot/ of lawmakers.

But signing your name to this proclamation doesn't amount to anything. It doesn't prevent the Senate from holding trial (with chief justice presiding). It doesn't stop the testimony from the house intelligence committee from becoming public knowledge. And the goal was to get /every/ person Trump thinks fears him to lick his boot and toe the line.

He didn't reach that goal. And the thing about groupthink, with the wagons circled... as soon as one person stands up and says 'this is bullshit, I'm out!' - it makes it more likely that /another/ person will do it. When Trump turns out to be weak and wholly ineffectual at punishing dissenters from his party, it makes it safer for more to jump ship. When the first couple do it, get punished for it, and say 'Worth it!' (enjoying some 'good will' from folk that want Trump gone), it makes it even more likely that more will jump ship.

Trump's support is eroding, and we've got another month at least before the trial can even begin in the senate. Yeah, Graham and Cruz are trying desperately to win Trump's approval with their efforts, but neither is actually being effective at shoring up their support - they're just performing so Trump doesn't drop dox on them and order his qanon army to murder them in the street (I'm still not sure if I'm being tongue-in-cheek on this?).

The senate support will not grow from here. It's either hit its floor, or it will erode further. I thought his senate support would have been eroded when he started putting children in cages and sending the parents back to die in hellworld. That didn't budge it, at least not publicly. If Trump really had the kind of leverage he'd need for this dam to hold, you'd see a lot more Senators doing the performative defense - instead of staying silent.

That's what the tea leaves in my cup say, anyway. Still not feeling confident the Senate will convict, though. I personally think there's a rebellion within the GOP ranks, between Romney and the mysterious anonymous author of that Opinion Piece... the bystander effect - which is Trump's most valuable cognitive tool here - has already failed him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

Tulsi looks like a Fox News anchor. Put her in some pastels and short skirt and a bunch of their viewers wouldn’t realize that she was a new arrival. This is the easiest media pitch one can make.

they'd need her to dye her hair blonde as well

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Numlock posted:

Every time she does one of these hits, we get someone popping into this thread like "Wait why is Tulsi on Fox?" and then those people get to learn about her actual beliefs. There are probably a lot of people who would vote for someone they don't know a thing about as long as she has a D next to her name, but when you're going on TV and waving a red flag, chances are people will start to see red flags.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

they'd need her to dye her hair blonde as well

her penchant for always wearing white will also be appreciated

Numlock
May 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

once she's on fox enough, other news orgs might start to cover her because people talk about her

fox news viewers do talk to people who are sorta on the fence about trump, and so fox news viewers talking incessantly to those other people will diffuse her out there

I guess they will try, but the chances of it working are astronomically low.

Might as well worry about Jacob Whorle actually finding real dirt on somebody and people being forced to take him seriously.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You are taking this in kind of a sexist direction

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

Frankly? I'm sick to death of hearing about her. Never, not for one second ever have I seen what's appealing about her outside of her own Congressional voting base. Voters who like her only do because she backed Bernie in 2016. Well whoop-dee-loving-doo. She's a Muslim and gay hating, dictator boot licking loving fraud and when she resigns from Congress I hope she fucks back off to a marginal gay-bashing group somewhere in Hawaii and I never hear about her ever again. Jesus loving Christ.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 25, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Deleting, too close to primary chat for comfort.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Numlock posted:

But she wouldn't be a Democrat - she'd be a "Former Democrat who has realized how evil the DNC is." This might leech from Trump's valuable constituency of "people who will vote for whoever the establishment seems to hate the most."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

Frankly? I'm sick to death of hearing about her. Never, not for one second ever have I seen what's appealing about her. Voters who like her only do because she backed Bernie in 2016. Well whoop-dee-loving-doo. She's a Muslim and gay hating, dictator boot licking loving fraud and when she resigns from Congress I hope she fucks back off to a marginal gay-bashing group somewhere in Hawaii and I never hear about her ever again. Jesus loving Christ.

100% :same:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
It's really weird how detailed you guys tend to get when dunking on how sexist conservatives are.

"Their THIRSTY eyes following the hypnotic movement of THAT PERFECT rear end as it undulates in BLACK YOGA PANTS." *mops brow*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1187742752685088769

michael flynn's lawyers released their batshit conspiracy piece de resistance, demanding that the judge throw out all the charges that flynn pleaded guilty to and repeatedly confirmed he did, because PETER STRZOK and LISA PAGE

the sentencing hearing in December should be great. last sentencing hearing was the "Is this treason? Do you really want me to sentence you now?" and now it will be even worse, as he no longer will get credit for accepting responsibility.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187742107852836864

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I go out of my way to not use the term, but I never really got how this is a "slur" or delegitimizing, since a party member is called a Democrat. You actually call them Democrats in your post. It seems totally innocuous.

I think the implication is they are not "democratic" because that would be a good thing. "Democratic" just means you believe in democracy. Of course "Republican" doesn't really mean what it means either, but nobody really knows that word anyway. Like how "Catholic" is not the same thing as "catholic". Since most Americans still have a positive reaction to the idea of "democratic", Republicans feel it's useful to avoid that term when referring to the party.

This reads like they've been studying those old Jim Crow literacy tests. For reasons.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It just seems weird that the term Democrat isn't otherizing a person, but Democrat Party is, that's all. TheDeadlyShoe's marketing explanation makes sense, though.

I bet you also don't have a problem with calling a woman "a female"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

This reads like they've been studying those old Jim Crow literacy tests. For reasons.

This is how push polling always works- read out a lot of "context" intended to get the subject into a certain mindset, then ask a question whose answer within that context is obvious.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1187742752685088769

michael flynn's lawyers released their batshit conspiracy piece de resistance, demanding that the judge throw out all the charges that flynn pleaded guilty to and repeatedly confirmed he did, because PETER STRZOK and LISA PAGE

the sentencing hearing in December should be great. last sentencing hearing was the "Is this treason? Do you really want me to sentence you now?" and now it will be even worse, as he no longer will get credit for accepting responsibility.

...he's trying to get his guilty plea overturned on the grounds that had the prosecution been required to do anything they would have done it wrong, which they weren't, because he pled guilty?