Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

pim01 posted:

Kenji has a series of amazing and simple recipes here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/pressure-cooker-recipes

They're all awesome(theres a bunch that don't use extra liquid but just run on what water is present in the ingredients, which was a key lesson in not making everything super soupy for me :) ) .

A lot of his recipes are WAY TOO SALTY so if you don't like super salty stuff maybe use half of what he says and salt more after if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The best My First Pressure Cooker recipe is the Columbian chicken stew.

Colombian Chicken Stew With Potatoes, Tomato, and Onion Recipe

Note: Do not add garlic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Skyarb posted:

Alright I am a brand new owner of an intantpot ultra 6Qt.

What are some beginner friendly never fail recipes you guys recomend?

Little less then a cup rinsed Jasmine rice
1.25 cups Water
Tablespoon Butter
2 frozen 4oz fish fillets (I use the Atlantic salmon from Whole Foods)
Salt
Dried mushrooms and/or sun-dried tomatoes (more water if using lots)
Chives (dried or fresh is fine)
Fresh spinach

Rinse Jasmine rice well and put in pot with water, butter, and chopped bite size dried stuff. Coat FROZEN fillets with a heavy pinch of salt and chopped chives. Place fillets skin down on top of rice. Set IP to HIGH, manual 3 minutes. Let manual release for 10 minutes. Plate hot rice over fresh spinach, let spinach wilt. Serves 2. Our favorite "gently caress it, I am tired, this is filling, somewhat healthy, and quick."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 25, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

toplitzin posted:

the gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

toplitzin posted:

The best My First Pressure Cooker recipe is the Columbian chicken stew.

Colombian Chicken Stew With Potatoes, Tomato, and Onion Recipe

I wasn’t too hot on it. Kinda bland. Could be better with some more vinegar, I guess.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Vampire spotted ITT

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love garlic, it just really doesn't work in that recipe (and probably why none is called for)

It got a really weird flavor that really took away from the stew.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
These recipes all look great, thanks guys.

I am also a SUCKER for chicken noodle soup so HIT ME WITH A GOLD STANDARD DAMNIT

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm not sure a pressure cooker is going to save you any time on chicken noodle soup other than making really good stock really quickly

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm not sure a pressure cooker is going to save you any time on chicken noodle soup other than making really good stock really quickly

Just the ability to turn rotisserie chicken carcasuses into stock is worth it for me. They get thrown in with a bag of vegetable peelings and out comes great stock that we use for everything. Hell, we just do veggie stock with the peelings sometimes. No broccoli, cabbage, potatoes are saved though, they aren't good for it, but onions, carrot peels and ends, peppers, garlic, celery ends, etc, go in a freezer bag and into the freezer to be saved just for stock.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No broccoli stems, corn cobs, cauliflower and leek leaves?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

No broccoli stems, corn cobs, cauliflower and leek leaves?

I stick to mostly mire poire, pepper bits, and garlic scraps. Any bits of herbs that are left over from meals are thrown in as well. I avoid broccoli and members of the same family mostly because I've heard not to use them in my stock, supposedly they leave a strong odour and flavor which is unpleasant.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
you're correct on the brassicas. Perhaps stems aren't that bad but I don't gently caress with them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pollyanna posted:

I wasn’t too hot on it. Kinda bland. Could be better with some more vinegar, I guess.

It is a lifesaver for feeding kids, who still usually prefer bland. But I feel ya.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I am making chicken soup this week, so for chicken soup poster, here's what I do. Is it mindblowing? Not really, but it is comforting and good and if I buy pre-sliced stuff I don't even have to do prep work, just dump & walk away.

1.5lbs chicken parts (I usually use boneless skinless thighs, but up to you)
5-6 stalks of celery, diced
.5 of a large onion, frenched or diced is fine
5 cloves of garlic (to taste)
.5lb or so of carrot chips
28oz can of diced tomatoes
1lb of potatoes, diced (I like russets and reds here)
4 C stock
1tsp of salt if your stock isn't salted (more or less, however you like it)
(The rest of these ingredients are just random for me and you probably have your own that you like)
1tsp thyme
1tsp crushed rosemary
1tsp paprika
1tsp ginger, powdered (or use some fresh stuff, whatever you got)
1-2 bay leaves

Put everything in (you can saute the onion & celery & brown the garlic a bit first if you have time/energy). Pressure cook until the chicken is done and the veggies are as you like them, about 20 minutes for me. 10 minute NPR, then quick release what's left. Shred the chicken. Thicken with the saute function or add liquid to get it how you like soup.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really can't stress how much having a pressure cooker allows you to make infinitely better stock than you can buy at the store. Buy 2-3 pounds on bone in chicken thighs/wings and put them in there which carrots, celery, onions and in 45 minutes you'll have amazing chicken stock.

Then discard the veggies and shred the meat off the bones

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I really can't stress how much having a pressure cooker allows you to make infinitely better stock than you can buy at the store. Buy 2-3 pounds on bone in chicken thighs/wings and put them in there which carrots, celery, onions and in 45 minutes you'll have amazing chicken stock.

Then discard the veggies and shred the meat off the bones

Agree with this. We buy rotisserie chickens at the grocery store for another meal, then I'll throw the bones in and the stock it makes is loving amazing.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 27, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SpannerX posted:

I stick to mostly mire poire, pepper bits, and garlic scraps. Any bits of herbs that are left over from meals are thrown in as well. I avoid broccoli and members of the same family mostly because I've heard not to use them in my stock, supposedly they leave a strong odour and flavor which is unpleasant.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I use cauliflower leaves based on Jacque Pepin recommending they go into the stock. I've used broccoli stems but didn't notice any off flavors. I looked into it and people were mentioning a bad flavor like stinky feet but I've never smelled that from cabbage or broccoli. I wonder if it's the same thing that makes broccoli taste gross to some people. Guess I'll leave the stems out from now on.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Internet Explorer posted:

Agree with this. Well but rotisserie chickens at the grocery store for another meal, then I'll throw the bones in and the stock it makes is loving amazing.

See, I wondered about this. Somewhere I got this notion in my head that for a stock you can only use raw bones and not cooked bones. Glad to know this so I can make some stocks this winter.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I am a baby pressure cooker user, and I did Japanese curry last night it went something like this:
Sautee roughly chopped onions and smashed garlic in butter
Add in beet greens for a couple minutes
Brown stew meat with onions because why not?
Turn off heat to avoid anything burning
Add in (cut to bite sized) beets, carrots, potatoes, and a diced (kinda) apple
Put curry roux on top, and poured in some beef stock
Meat/Stew for 15 minutes, natural release, and then simmer until the consistency made sense.

It was good, but I struggled with "when do I add salt or taste to add salt?" I could taste the onions, but after that stage I just had to guess at salt levels until it finished cooking under pressure, and the end result was probably under-salted. I'm thinking I shouldn't even have bothered tasting the onions, and put all of my tasting efforts into the end, but I'm not used to doing that. I also struggled with liquid levels, my thinking here is that this just requires experience, I know vegetables release liquid, but I don't have any sort of mental model of how much to expect and how that should influence how much stock I want.

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 27, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Curry can be salted at the very end after it's finished cooking, but yeah for other stuff sometimes you just have to believe or be conservative with your salting and hope you can make it up afterwards

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

QuarkMartial posted:

See, I wondered about this. Somewhere I got this notion in my head that for a stock you can only use raw bones and not cooked bones. Glad to know this so I can make some stocks this winter.

Stock is cooked bones, broth is raw bones :science:

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I usually differentiate stock vs broth based on gelatin content. If it has bones (cooked or not), the resulting liquid is stock. If it's just meat, it's broth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

couldcareless posted:

you mean BONE BROTH

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

twodot posted:

I am a baby pressure cooker user, and I did Japanese curry last night it went something like this:
Sautee roughly chopped onions and smashed garlic in butter
Add in beet greens for a couple minutes
Brown stew meat with onions because why not?
Turn off heat to avoid anything burning
Add in (cut to bite sized) beets, carrots, potatoes, and a diced (kinda) apple
Put curry roux on top, and poured in some beef stock
Meat/Stew for 15 minutes, natural release, and then simmer until the consistency made sense.

It was good, but I struggled with "when do I add salt or taste to add salt?" I could taste the onions, but after that stage I just had to guess at salt levels until it finished cooking under pressure, and the end result was probably under-salted. I'm thinking I shouldn't even have bothered tasting the onions, and put all of my tasting efforts into the end, but I'm not used to doing that. I also struggled with liquid levels, my thinking here is that this just requires experience, I know vegetables release liquid, but I don't have any sort of mental model of how much to expect and how that should influence how much stock I want.

You're using boxed curry roux right? All the ones I tried are incredibly salty, maybe you put too much stock? I'd just follow the instructions in the box. You typically add the curry after it's all been cooked. You just boil another 10 minutes after adding the curry. Not under pressure.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

couldcareless posted:

wrong!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I usually differentiate stock vs broth based on gelatin content. If it has bones (cooked or not), the resulting liquid is stock. If it's just meat, it's broth.

This is more correct!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Speaking of stock, I made a 5lb chicken in my 6qt InstantPot, and threw the carcass right back in for stock with veggie trimmings. Absolutely delicious way to save a few bucks and get a superior stock vs the store.

InstantPot chicken does not come out looking particularly appetizing, but some time in the oven fixes that. The meat falls off the bones so easily-- I grabbed the thigh to carve it and it just fell off the bird, and I only needed to slice through skin.

I'll probably do this again next time I see chickens on sale.

It was a gamble, because I saw very few reputable non-wellness websites talk about it. It paid off, though!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

effika posted:

Speaking of stock, I made a 5lb chicken in my 6qt InstantPot, and threw the carcass right back in for stock with veggie trimmings.

Next time save more money and just use chicken thighs. White meat gets all tough and dry and gross when you cook it so long. Thighs are dummy thicc and don't care how you cook them because they are always delicious.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A roasted whole chook takes 60 mins in the oven. What's the benefit to doing one in an IP then finishing it in the oven?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know if chook is a typo or slang but it hilariously sounds like a slur for chicken. Also chicken thighs for life yo.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Wanted to see if I could and the ovens were busy with other stuff. Better than the pb&j sandwiches we were going to have for lunch.

Not going to replace a good roast chicken, but it was ready from start to finish in only 45m.

Chicken Thighs for Life for sure, but sometimes you work with that what you find in the freezer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

I don't know if chook is a typo or slang but it hilariously sounds like a slur for chicken. Also chicken thighs for life yo.

It is a nickname for Chickens, yes.

Martha! There's a goanna in the chooks again! Bloody hell we'll have no eggs for a week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm appropriating your culture and calling them chooks from now, unless I forget.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll allow it.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What's a good water to bones ratio for making stock? My stock comes out way too watery.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

half cocaine posted:

What's a good water to bones ratio for making stock? My stock comes out way too watery.

You can always reduce watery stock.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Right, you wouldn't reduce the amount of water added to the IP, you need to have enough water to almost cover the bones yeah? So you reduce (boil away the water) the resultant stock afterwards.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There is a water volume to bone weight ratio in the CIA textbook but what I do is pack the pot with bones up to the line, including a couple of feet, then fill with water to the line, and go. As said above, you can always reduce it but I almost never do. 30 minute simmer will reduce it down a fair bit. Probably not the right way but it gets the job done.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

wormil posted:

There is a water volume to bone weight ratio in the CIA textbook but what I do is pack the pot with bones up to the line, including a couple of feet, then fill with water to the line, and go.
wow I thought waterboarding was grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Lazyhound posted:

wow I thought waterboarding was grim

Lmaooo