Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir!

I feel it’s a big sacrifice to not have the chapter icons and physically read this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Agent355 posted:

I'm maxed out on audible credits this month. Anybody listen to any cool books on tape lately? Or just have a cool book? If I don't use the credit I lose it and I'm not really hankering for anything in particular.

I recently relistened to Oryx and Crake and it's really good. I wonder if the sequels are good, I'm scared to try because the book is self-contained and like I said, so so good. Existentially sad though.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

regulargonzalez posted:

I recently relistened to Oryx and Crake and it's really good. I wonder if the sequels are good, I'm scared to try because the book is self-contained and like I said, so so good. Existentially sad though.

The Year of the Flood isn't really a sequel so much as a... Sidequel? It's a separate story in the same universe and they converge at some point. Then Maddaddam is the 3rd one.

I really enjoyed all 3, I should do a reread actually, it's been awhile.

Has anyone else read "This is How it Always Is"? I just finished it for my book club and I have a lot of competing feelings. I'd still recommend it.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

looking for icelandic/scandinavian dark crime thrillers

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

An Apple A Gay posted:

The Millenium Trilogy (or whatever numbet they are up to posthumously).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An Apple A Gay posted:

Not Iceland but "The Girl in the Ice" by the Hammers?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also Jörn Lier Horst.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

cool thanks

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

An Apple A Gay posted:

Check out Jo Nesbo and Jussi Adler-Olsen.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'm looking for a good rec for a book about the dotcom crash. Had my interest peaked after learning about stuff like beenz and whatnot.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I have no recommendation but I miss the pets.com puppet

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
jeeves...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Looking for in-depth books about human sexuality and gender, something non-fiction like the Kinsey Reports but more recent, any suggestions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Looking for in-depth books about human sexuality and gender, something non-fiction like the Kinsey Reports but more recent, any suggestions?

Come As You Are is a very good book on the psychology and sociology of women’s desire based on current research, but the audience is very much lay people.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

goose willis posted:

The Human Project, forget the author.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
whatever you read, remember that about 64% of it is completely made up nonsense based on flawed studies that won't replicate. at 36% replication, this gives the contemporary social sciences significantly worse explanatory and predictive power than tarot cards

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 3, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

whatever you read, remember that about 64% of it is completely made up nonsense based on flawed studies that won't replicate. at 36% replication, this gives the contemporary social sciences significantly worse explanatory and predictive power than tarot cards

yabut try to get a grant for reading cards

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
speaking of - we all presumably know the stanford prison experiment was faked, but here's a new article about how another of the most famous psychiatric studies was also faked

another very famous one about how women perform better in blind auditions than they do when the evaluators know they're a woman also just failed to replicate a week or so ago

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

speaking of - we all presumably know the stanford prison experiment was faked, but here's a new article about how another of the most famous psychiatric studies was also faked

another very famous one about how women perform better in blind auditions than they do when the evaluators know they're a woman also just failed to replicate a week or so ago

Yes, clearly the whole field of social science, from clinical psychology to structuralism, is a sham. This proves it!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Only 64%.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

Yes, clearly the whole field of social science, from clinical psychology to structuralism, is a sham. This proves it!

mostly yeah. the replication crisis is getting worse, not better, and much of that is due to deep structural flaws in the social sciences as a whole, leaving aside the fact that a growing number of foundational studies with serious impacts on public policy are being unmasked as total frauds. if half of your studies at most can be replicated, that's not a science, that's rune-casting

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If it requires experiment, it's not a real science. Calculation should suffice

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mostly yeah. the replication crisis is getting worse, not better, and much of that is due to deep structural flaws in the social sciences as a whole, leaving aside the fact that a growing number of foundational studies with serious impacts on public policy are being unmasked as total frauds. if half of your studies at most can be replicated, that's not a science, that's rune-casting

This is just a silly claim. “Social science” is not some monolithic field based only on replicable studies. You’re talking about fields like anthropology, education, linguistics, and so on. This goes all the way up and out to economics and even some branches of philosophy. Many of these fields are “scientific” in the tools and methods of thinking and analyses, not in the way that their findings meet the standard of rigor that, say, physics meets.

Of course an anthropological study is not going to be replicable, its results are based on a crazy web of relationships between the researcher(s) and the subject(s). That doesn’t mean that its conclusions can’t be valuable or scientific, just that we have to be careful about generalizing those conclusions.

Right now you’re like someone pointing to thalidomide babies and screaming “animal models! In MICE!” and saying that that disproves the entire field of biology.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

This is just a silly claim. “Social science” is not some monolithic field based only on replicable studies.

pretty clearly talking about psychology and sociology here

e: although since you mention economics, that's having it's own smaller replication crisis

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Especially since this is all in response to a request for books about sexuality.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just so everyone knows, Chernobyl kinsman does this whole ‘big claim based on a half assed understanding of a real problem’ in d&d threads too. His name is synonymous with ‘a really stupid point’ in the Space thread. So don’t get too worked up trying to explain things.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Monkey posted:

Just so everyone knows, Chernobyl kinsman does this whole ‘big claim based on a half assed understanding of a real problem’ in d&d threads too. His name is synonymous with ‘a really stupid point’ in the Space thread. So don’t get too worked up trying to explain things.

i haven't posted in d&d in literal years, never posted there often, and have literally never posted in or read the space thread lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think he might have mixed you up with Owlofcreamcheese.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
there are many aggravating jackasses on thsi forum so its an easy mistake to make

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My bad, it was kerning chameleon.

Still, you've got an incredibly stupid take here.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"given that between half of and 2/3rds of all studies fail to replicate, the fields based in large degree on those studies are borderline useless and their consenses should be treated with extreme skepticism" is pretty commonsensical i think

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

"given that between half of and 2/3rds of all studies fail to replicate, the fields based in large degree on those studies are borderline useless and their consenses should be treated with extreme skepticism" is pretty commonsensical i think

If that had been all you'd said, you'd be correct - the field of Psychology has a lot of issues in the way its experiments are done. Instead, you went on to them claim that 'all of social science is crap and shouldn't be used' also you brought it up, randomly, because of a request for a book on human sexuality in a sociological context. Reading the common prevailing research is still useful, even if there are some questions about the validity and reproducibility of said research.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Monkey posted:

If that had been all you'd said, you'd be correct - the field of Psychology has a lot of issues in the way its experiments are done. Instead, you went on to them claim that 'all of social science is crap and shouldn't be used' also you brought it up, randomly, because of a request for a book on human sexuality in a sociological context. Reading the common prevailing research is still useful, even if there are some questions about the validity and reproducibility of said research.

and there aren't "some questions" about validity and reproducibility dude, that's is an attempt at minimizing the severity of the situation. i didnt say "dont read any research", i said "remember that only about a third of what you're reading can be reasonably expected to have any grounding in reality"

also not sure why talking about psychology and sociology in response to a request for a book abotu psychology and sociology is "random" to you but im beginning to think you didnt actually read any of these posts except maybe the last one

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Captain Monkey posted:

also you brought it up, randomly, because of a request for a book on human sexuality in a sociological context.
I can't imagine the connection either.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Eh, I just don’t feel you can make the claim that the specific book suggested is only 1/3 valid because psychology, as a whole, has a problem with reproducibility. And it feels a bit of an ‘I am very smart’ reply to someone’s request for a book to read.

Plus you said ‘social sciences as a whole’ before backpedaling after being called out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i was being slightly flippant, that may have gotten past you, but there's no reason to believe a book on a particular subsection of psychology and sociology would be any more reliable than those fields in general (i.e. not at all)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This is just gonna be a weird slap fight, so sure man, ok.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

i was being slightly flippant, that may have gotten past you, but there's no reason to believe a book on a particular subsection of psychology and sociology would be any more reliable than those fields in general (i.e. not at all)

I’m also not sure if the other books recommended do this, but Come As You Are explicitly reviews and then calls out how psych experiments have been used to pathologize and shame women, while also being generally flawed science. For instance:

quote:

This is what happened to psychotherapist Helen Singer Kaplan. Reviewing treatment failures among her own and her colleagues’ patients, she found that the clients with the least successful outcomes were those who lacked interest in sex. Kaplan realized something important was entirely missing from the four-phase model: desire. The entire concept of sexual desire was utterly missing from the dominant theory of human sexual response. It seems like a glaring oversight in retrospect, but of course it was missing—people who come to a laboratory to masturbate for science don’t have to want sex before they begin; they just have to get aroused for the purpose of the experiment. So Kaplan took the four-phase model out of the laboratory and adapted it to the lived experience of her clients. Her “triphasic” model of the sexual response cycle begins with desire, which she conceptualized as “interest in” or “appetite for” sex, much like hunger or thirst. The second phase is arousal, which combines excitement and plateau into one phase, and the third phase is orgasm.

The paragraphs didn’t parse into the quote but still.

So the conclusion you’re coming to, that these books can contain only 36% valuable information (whatever that means), really generalizes a scientist or researcher’s ability to explain the useful conclusions of flawed research.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

I’m also not sure if the other books recommended do this, but Come As You Are explicitly reviews and then calls out how psych experiments have been used to pathologize and shame women, while also being generally flawed science. For instance:

thats great but those arent the only studies that are totally full of poo poo, and pretending that most flawed (which is a polite way of saying wrong) studies produce useful results once they're recognized as such is an ostrich's response to reality: namely, they're not recognized as such, and their fictitious results inform future studies and theories (which are horseshit in their turn) and public policy, causing active detriment to both individuals and society, to say nothing of the field as a whole. and this isn't some patriarchal past phenomenon: the research being done right now, by woke scientists, is failing to replicate.

e: this also hinges on two assumptions: 1) that the "useful conclusions of flawed research" will not themselves be horseshit, which is statistically unlikely, and 2) that studies with 'bad' ideology (here, those that shame women) are worse or more likely to be wrong than those with 'good' ideology. this is not only untrue but probably the opposite of truth, since we are historically and objectively less likely to question results that confirm our ideological biases

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

thats great but those arent the only studies that are totally full of poo poo, and pretending that most flawed (which is a polite way of saying wrong) studies produce useful results once they're recognized as such is an ostrich's response to reality: namely, they're not recognized as such, and their fictitious results inform future studies and theories (which are horseshit in their turn) and public policy, causing active detriment to both individuals and society, to say nothing of the field as a whole. and this isn't some patriarchal past phenomenon: the research being done right now, by woke scientists, is failing to replicate.

e: this also hinges on two assumptions: 1) that the "useful conclusions of flawed research" will not themselves be horseshit, which is statistically unlikely, and 2) that studies with 'bad' ideology (here, those that shame women) are worse or more likely to be wrong than those with 'good' ideology. this is not only untrue but probably the opposite of truth, since we are historically and objectively less likely to question results that confirm our ideological biases

Ah so you believe that anti-racism and feminism are ideologies rather than the state of the art resulting from rigorous work in the social sciences (informed in part by activism, of course). Interesting.