Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

update: trumps precious feelings must be protected at all costs
https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1187778611559981056?s=19

One of my favorite videos is when an HBCU invited Devos to speak at a commencment and how the students stood up with their back to Devos while crowd booed Devos to point they were louder than she was

https://youtu.be/Y4BqmN8yWk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SchrodingersCat posted:

I dunno, average life expectancy post vCJD diagnosis is less than 2 years, and I think I am being generous with that.

A friend's father was diagnosed with Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker disease which is an extremely, extremely rare prion disease and was dead in 2 months

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm glad Elijah got the funeral he deserved, I genuinely was worried the trump bullshit would overshadow it and after a fuckin two week public mourning affair for McCain I was getting ready to be annoyed at an actual respect worthy person getting shafted.

I'm sad he died but the funeral was v good.

He should have gotten to see Trump jailed though :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Peterson's self help books are basically: "take responsibility for yourself”

Which is a totally original and mind blowing concept if you're a white male.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I guess we'll find out how loudly 100 people can boo.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Kale posted:

My impression of this guy has always just been that he's super loving weird and talks about the kind of a poo poo a certain crowd of people in online circles want to hear about.
I'm pretty sure his popularity is 99% from him raising a stink about pronouns a few years ago.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

please dont tell me they are giving the black students seats at the back

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

For as hard as they try, Eric Garland and popehat are just not fuckin funny on twitter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

For as hard as they try, Eric Garland and popehat are just not fuckin funny on twitter.

you might be right about eric garland (no idea who that is) but you could not be more wrong about popehat, especially when he's talking about guliani

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187791336008830976

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187791908296368130
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187792092422135809

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 25, 2019

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

What's he talking about? I can't make heads or tails even looking at his birdsite.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

What's he talking about? I can't make heads or tails even looking at his birdsite.

he's gotten to 50 co-sponsors on his 'the house is being a big meanie' resolution

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Toobly posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1187771114505887744?s=20

edit: i imagine this is him distancing himself from Rudy and not "he's trying to investigate corruption wherever he goes"

This is true. He looks for corruption and immediately gets involved in it.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

he's gotten to 50 co-sponsors on his 'the house is being a big meanie' resolution

...and disingenuously framing it as 50 signatories, implying it's the whole Senate to people who don't pay too much attention?

Edit: I guess I'm more confused because I thought Senate resolutions required Senators to sign it first.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nice of him to compose a list of the wall-bound for easy reference

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

...and disingenuously framing it as 50 signatories, implying it's the whole Senate to people who don't pay too much attention?

Er, what's the difference? I'm not as wonkish as I thought, but i assume a cosponsor is going to sign a bill they put their name on?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

ewiley posted:

Er, what's the difference? I'm not as wonkish as I thought, but i assume a cosponsor is going to sign a bill they put their name on?

I always thought a Senate resolution had to pass the Senate before the House signings matter, is all.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

KillHour posted:

This is true. He looks for corruption and immediately gets involved in it.

seems to be a proud greater nyc tradition, pretty funny that giuliani and christie both got outscammed by reality tv guy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ewiley posted:

I think a consponsor just means they want to bring it to the floor, and they may not end up voting on it (I could be entirely wrong though)

Either way this is pointless grandstanding that literally does nothing, much as if The House passed a resolution declaring Lindsey Graham " a stupid butthead".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

I always thought a Senate resolution had to pass the Senate before the House signings matter, is all.

That's 50 senators. All republican senators but Collins, Murkowski, and Romney.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angry_Ed posted:

I think a consponsor just means they want to bring it to the floor, and they may not end up voting on it (I could be entirely wrong though)

Either way this is pointless grandstanding that literally does nothing, much as if The House passed a resolution declaring Lindsey Graham " a stupid butthead".

I feel like that should be enshrined by Constitutional amendment at this point

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Edit: I guess I'm more confused because I thought Senate resolutions required Senators to sign it first.
I mean, the whole thing is a farce, but the number of sponsors who don't vote for the final bill or resolution, especially when it's a resolution this wishy-washy, is probably pretty small.

E: this is a Senate Resolution, not a joint resolution. Only the Senate will be voting on it, and all the listed co-sponsors are Senators.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 25, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"Butthead" is an underused insult and I think enough time has elapsed that we can bring it back into common rotation.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

These are the things facebook employees need to answer for.

Any of them could work elsewhere, but they choose this each and every day.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

update: trumps precious feelings must be protected at all costs
https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1187778611559981056?s=19

What a loving coward.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Pence tiebreaker will have fun optics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Pence tiebreaker will have fun optics.

There's not going to be a tiebreaker because it's not going to the floor because everyone knows it will look bad if it doesn't pass.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
While only 10-20% of the populace cares enough about Brietbart to matter, I'd wager that same population makes up 50% of heavy FB users in the US

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I'm dumb, I thought Hyde-Smith was a House rep.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
USPOL Fall: The House passed a resolution declaring Lindsey Graham " a stupid butthead".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/lisatozzi/status/1187802105165291520

We truly live in the Veep universe

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

After the pink unicorn piñata came the bouncy castle and then cake. It wasn’t until at least an hour after the call that the reporter realized it led to a three-minute voicemail, the maximum his phone allows.

this loving reporter needs to get a service to have longer voicemails

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also you may be thinking "man, guliani butt-dialed an nbc reporter once, that can't be real"

and it's not

the "once" part, at least

Kale
May 14, 2010

Numlock posted:

You guys are way too plugged in. Nobody other than politics junkies and presumably some Hawaiians even know she is.

She’ll show up in fox for a few months as a token “reasonable” democrat before fading into total oblivion.

If any righter wing or centrist congressperson or personality so much as farts you'll probably here about it immediately in this thread and it'll get significant focus. Thread just kinda likes hateposting about these sorts people regardless of whatever else is going on in this whole drama of the Trump era. I think I've heard more about what Lindsey loving Graham and Rand Paul think about everything in this thread over the last week than literally any other person in Washington for example. :psyduck:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Doctor Butts posted:

The most accurate account of Peterson I've heard is "What's true is not new, and what is new is not true."

Dude took a bunch of notoriously easy to abuse Jungian bullshit, mixed it up with some pseudo philosophy, and then spins a complicated web of distractions that are either self-contradictory or completely useless. He obfuscates, rather than clarifies, because if anyone tries to get him to recognize the consequences of any of his lines of thought, he just retreats to "no no no, you misunderstood me," without actually saying poo poo.

Also for some reason Nazis and transphobes and mysogynists flock to him, and though he has the decency to deny the Nazis he is too dumb to realize "hey maybe if Nazis keep flocking to me maybe I'm saying something they find attractive" and reflect on that.

I came into Peterson mostly blind, and the first show or two I saw he seemed like he might be intelligent. Then the more I read the more useless I found him. Now? gently caress I hate that dirtbag.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Riptor posted:

A friend's father was diagnosed with Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker disease which is an extremely, extremely rare prion disease and was dead in 2 months

Some vCJD people only last a few months, yeah. I think fatal familial insomnia people make it like 6-9 months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkHorse posted:

The most accurate account of Peterson I've heard is "What's true is not new, and what is new is not true."

Dude took a bunch of notoriously easy to abuse Jungian bullshit, mixed it up with some pseudo philosophy, and then spins a complicated web of distractions that are either self-contradictory or completely useless. He obfuscates, rather than clarifies, because if anyone tries to get him to recognize the consequences of any of his lines of thought, he just retreats to "no no no, you misunderstood me," without actually saying poo poo.

Also for some reason Nazis and transphobes and mysogynists flock to him, and though he has the decency to deny the Nazis he is too dumb to realize "hey maybe if Nazis keep flocking to me maybe I'm saying something they find attractive" and reflect on that.

I came into Peterson mostly blind, and the first show or two I saw he seemed like he might be intelligent. Then the more I read the more useless I found him. Now? gently caress I hate that dirtbag.

peterson is very good at tricking people because he "sounds" smart but if you have taken classes in the poo poo he talked about(like me) or are an expert in a field he has talked about. you know he is a moron. like i took a bunch of classes on the nazis and how they came to be/etc. and his lecture on them is loving dumber than goldhagan.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah but they don't actually seem to take that advice. Again it's weird how this online "influential person" stuff seems to work on social media, but it's like it's entirely based on the momentum of their target audience and the things they attribute to that person as almost sort of a symbol for thought processes they themselves already hold. Like a conduit of sorts to channel their already held beliefs through to one another. Peterson speaks and says some poo poo and then his audience attributes brilliance and truth to it as they kind of appear to jerk each other off. It could almost be anybody saying just about anything with the right keywords and code words, but what matters is having a person or object as a focal point to connect like-minded people as a sort of twisted form of a community. Jordan Peterson just kind of managed to luck into that position at the right time like often seems to be the case for this phenomenon.

I feel like Trump rallies and R/TheDonald also work in a similar sort of way if not his entire presidency. He just babbles, rambles, can barely form a sentence and makes terrible decisions yet his base of racist white males attributes this sort of brilliance to him as a public speaker regardless of the reality of it all being largely loving incoherent nonsense and destructive policy that benefits nobody besides maybe himself. It's just an understood process among the MAGA's, there's no thought or self-reflection going into it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Doctor Butts posted:

It's not. Peterson puts all the responsibility on 'post-modern Cultural Marxists', aka Jews, who are making society degenerate. The responsibility of Peterson's audience is to fight back against them.

DarkHorse posted:

Peterson's first claim to fame was misreading some Canadian pronoun bill and lying about what it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jorp says "take responsibility for yourself" but then he goes on to preach about how Disney's Frozen shows that men are under attack by a shadow conspiracy of feminists and minorities who are the cause of all problems in white men's lives