Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Finished I am in Eskew today. Kinda satisfying ending, but the guy hasn't announced anything else in the works has he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Finished I am in Eskew today. Kinda satisfying ending, but the guy hasn't announced anything else in the works has he?

It's supposed to be over?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Len posted:

Why haven't you guys said anything about the Wolf359 crew dropping a new anthology series? It's 7 episodes and all posted.im starting it now so I have no impressions to give

I’m about halfway through it, and I’m really liking it so far. Episode 2 has been my favourite, but there’s still a couple to get through. Be interesting to see if they do anything more with it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

It's supposed to be over?

It stoped updating for the longest between episodes. Nothing on fb or twitter and the last episode was it growing and moving into the UK proper killing Orion people in the process . I assume it’s over. Or at least end of season

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
In my mind John from magnus archives looks exactly like Garth Merenghi

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Farg posted:

He’s the horrible long haired Jim Butcher author profile pic for me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
A lot of fan art depicts Jon as darker skinned for some reason that I can't really fathom, which is hilarious because his voice actor is aggressively white. Also, according to the wiki, he's confirmed as asexual? Which is news to me..

I've noticed this for a very long time, but a lot of sentences in Magnus start with "Still, ..." It happened at least twice in the most recent episode, and if you listen back, it's in there a lot. I picked up on it a long time ago and now it jumps out at me every time I hear it because it's 100% Johnny Sims' writing style and not at all how people talk. I don't think I've ever started a sentence with "Still, ..." in my life.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

New Leaf posted:

Also, according to the wiki, he's confirmed as asexual? Which is news to me..

It's one of the episodes with Georgie, I forget which. It comes up in passing in conversation-- he doesn't use the word but he describes it pretty clearly for himself.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

New Leaf posted:

A lot of fan art depicts Jon as darker skinned for some reason that I can't really fathom, which is hilarious because his voice actor is aggressively white.

The one that stands out to me is how often he is depicted with... acne scarring? Which, like, okay.

Anyways I don't really know of a good celebrity face match for Jon but Tim is Hughlander's av.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

For some reason, Tim has always looked like Grant O'Brien from College Humor to me. I don't know where I got that image, but that's how I see him. And I've always seen Melanie as Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones from Dr. Who).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's like how Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale has a third eye. gently caress it why not?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Arrhythmia posted:

The one that stands out to me is how often he is depicted with... acne scarring? Which, like, okay.

Anyways I don't really know of a good celebrity face match for Jon but Tim is Hughlander's av.

I think those are from Season 1’s worm attack.

So did Peter just explode or what?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Arrhythmia posted:

Those are from the worms that attacked him in season 1.

Deffo exploded, like Scanners.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

It's like how Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale has a third eye. gently caress it why not?

I see Cecil as exactly what the voice actor looks like, but I guess that's from going to live shows for years. Met him and Joseph/Jeffrey a couple times, super chill dudes.

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel

Farg posted:

I picture him as a thin TotalBiscuit

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Len posted:

As long as there’s no canonical reason not to do something, sure. Then you have Wolf 359 fan artists giving Hilbert hair.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ratatozsk posted:

I think those are from Season 1’s worm attack.

So did Peter just explode or what?

https://twitter.com/TheRustyQuill/status/1187414411478228994

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Listen, buddy, we don't want to know if he died. We want to know if he exploded

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Listen, buddy, we don't want to know if he died. We want to know if he exploded

Reasonable interpretation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brpUVlXt1f0

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This episode frustrates me so much. It wasn't even remotely spooky, and one of the early episodes I found absolutely brilliant was the astronaut episode, and that basically just got thrown away as "some vaguely pitiable but also not, completely asocial rich fucker dicking around with his fortunes". It's so anticlimactic in my opinion.

I absolutely get what they're doing, but it's not a horror podcast anymore. Hasn't been for a while, IMO.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This episode frustrates me so much. It wasn't even remotely spooky, and one of the early episodes I found absolutely brilliant was the astronaut episode, and that basically just got thrown away as "some vaguely pitiable but also not, completely asocial rich fucker dicking around with his fortunes". It's so anticlimactic in my opinion.

I absolutely get what they're doing, but it's not a horror podcast anymore. Hasn't been for a while, IMO.

You don't seem to be enjoying it; you should probably stop listening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Magnus has the same feel to me that Dunwhich Horror had. There's some weird poo poo going on and it's up to academics out of their depth to deal with it. It wasn't ever really scary or horror.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Len posted:

no cecil is like a younger scott aukerman

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Farg posted:

no cecil is like a younger scott aukerman

I always pictured him as just an average white dude but back when I followed the Night Vale thread the fanart had him with tattoo sleeves and a third eye for reasons.

It makes no sense and has no backing but sure whatever he has a third eye now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MR James is the show architect’s fav writer and thus probably a better point of reference. It is an older style of horror, but I think even the more contemporary horror elements in the audio drama bits work

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Farg posted:

At some point I realized that I've always pictured him as being this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONpPwJ5xpjo

And that video has a very Statement-like quality to it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

You don't seem to be enjoying it; you should probably stop listening.

I'm so far in now I need to see how it ends. It's not a hate listen, but it is something of a sunk cost listen for me at this point personally.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Magnus has the same feel to me that Dunwhich Horror had. There's some weird poo poo going on and it's up to academics out of their depth to deal with it. It wasn't ever really scary or horror.

I found some of the early statements really loving creepy and unsettling. It's not like, scare you out of your wits horror but it's there, and that's what I used to love about it. It felt like subtle creepypasta done well. No other podcast does that. Such a shame really.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I found some of the early statements really loving creepy and unsettling. It's not like, scare you out of your wits horror but it's there, and that's what I used to love about it. It felt like subtle creepypasta done well. No other podcast does that. Such a shame really.
Walking away from a series that’s lost its way is a skill that develops with practice. It’s quite satisfying really, thinking of all those hours not spent resentfully reading/watching/listening to something that’ll never be the way it was. Use that time to find something actually worthwhile for you.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't know man, a wealthy aristocrat family raising a family of kids separate from one another and if they try to be playful kids they get sent away forever is terrifying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I don't know man, a wealthy aristocrat family raising a family of kids separate from one another and if they try to be playful kids they get sent away forever is terrifying.

Lukas' apartment building was also pretty terrifying to think of too.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah then the idea of two former humans fighting for control at the behest of the elder gods.. Sounds like horror to me.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Limetown episode 3 is just filler between Winona and the Reverend. Episode 4 with the Reverend and Napoleon is pretty strong. Still worth hanging around.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone listen to Zero Hours, the new podcast by the Wolf 359 gang? Emily VanDerWerff over at Vox says its' the best yet from that group.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/10/25/20930731/zero-hours-podcast-review-end-of-the-world-apocalypse

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just finished it today and I really enjoyed it. I think it was episode 4 that was in my opinion the best one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antitonic posted:

I’m about halfway through it, and I’m really liking it so far. Episode 2 has been my favourite, but there’s still a couple to get through. Be interesting to see if they do anything more with it.

I've only listened to two of them but it's really good so far

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Update: Having finished the series (being just 7 episodes for those curious), I reiterate my previous opinion of “really liking it” and interested to see if they follow it with anything. Episode 2 is still my favourite, though Episode 6 is a strong second.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

Yeah then the idea of two former humans fighting for control at the behest of the elder gods.. Sounds like horror to me.

I guess my point remains that I find horror so much better when not everything is spelled out. It's a very subtle difference but to me it's the difference between a supernatural thriller and horror. I felt like TMA started as the former and has become the latter. It does both very well. I want to make it clear that I am by no means saying Rusty Quill has pulled a PNWS and it sucks now. It doesn't. It's just not as much my scene as it used to be. And the funny thing is I honestly don't know how I'd have felt if they had kinda started more from that angle to begin with; it's more that the change kinda made me go "ah gently caress, bummer".

I reversed it, I mean it started horror, has become a thriller.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 29, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Limetown TV series makes some weird changes

Spoilers for up to episode 6:

1. Lia is a creepy pervert
2. She has a white male sidekick now for reasons
3. This white male sidekick is a serious journalist who stands up for the story's integrity
4. Lia is not and manipulates the story to her own advantage
5. Lia is willing to blackmail her boss by exposing thier affair to keep loving with the story (see #1)
6. Emile’s season 1 role is beefed up to accommodate casting the Tuche
7. The threw in some more dead ends to pad the runtime and get Lia nekkid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I’m on episode 5. Does it seem like they’re setting up at the end to make season 2 also?