Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Avalerion posted:

Not in English I haven't. :cheers: Still think sleuth is a funny world, didn't expect it to cause this kind of derail!

Does your native language have the th sound? If you're pronouncing it Cyber sloot the confusion makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Ayndin posted:

That said, I do have enough OCD to be sad about the EV training situation. Annoying as the super training mini games were, I miss them for being able to get a ‘mon sorted out in like half an hour.

Is it not yet confirmed that there is now going to be a way to modify EVs, IVs, and Nature? I'm sure I heard that, but can't remember if it was from a leak or translation of an interview or what. It was something like "people have told us that they hate that their ingame team is basically guaranteed to be poo poo, so we put in a way to make them competitive". I am entirely ready to replace the brain-melting tedium of minmaxing via specific encounters and minigames with "pay a hundred thousand Pokebucks to max out a Pokemon's Special Attack potential". Hell, even if it's a minigame that explicitly overwrites a mon's current IVs/EVs, that's good enough. Breeding to get The Best Possible Ratatta is fun for a while, but it's been like 18 years now and I'm cool with just selecting the Pokemon I want and paying to make it ready to take on the Battle Ferris Wheel or the Battle Actually Big Ben is the Bell Itself Not the Tower instead of dedicating a literal week of evenings to crafting a team that doesn't work well anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
These games need to leak in the next 48 hours or this thread will reach critical bad posts saturation.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I think there is an EV- fiddling system with bottlecaps and such, but from what I remember hearing about it, it’s pretty late game and boils down to a more different annoying grind? I could also be completely conflating things.

It was a nice little stat boost (not that the main game needed it) and stroked my OCD knowing A Thing Was Done Optimally right away, that’s all. If it ends up being the thing I miss most I’ll call that a win.

I suspect what I’m going to end up missing most is Scraggy, my perfect pantslizard boy.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm trying to decide which makes people more crazy: Pokemon rumors or Smash Bros character rumors.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HZMRswv4g

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/TODOCCT/status/1187750341372084224

There's something wrong about Incineroar getting his own chair and eating with his hands, but still out of a cat bowl and eating kibble.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Jables88 posted:

Does anywhere know where I can get a quick rundown on how the Pokemon TCG is structured? I'm coming from Hearthstone and I'm trying to understand what the formats are/what I should play/what if anything I should buy. I'm playing it through the online client and really impressed so far but well out of my depth.

If you can get thevtcg online game either in oc or mobile, theres a solid tutorial there. Playing through the single player portion is easy and gets you a solid chunk of packs to build a collection. Plus online play supports theme deck play so you can be on a sorta similar power level while you build standard or expanded decks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's something wrong about Incineroar getting his own chair and eating with his hands, but still out of a cat bowl and eating kibble.

Yeah she should be eating it with a knife and fork, or chopsticks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
While loudly proclaiming in subtitles that she loves jelly doughnuts

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Which Brock baked for her on his Alolan holiday.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://twitter.com/TODOCCT/status/1187750341372084224

I eat kibble out of a bowl with my hands....and by kibble I mean chicken nuggs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I'm not sure why people get so worked up over EVs and IVs as they're the equivalent of stat allocations in Dungeons and Dragons, and technically they balance each other out in casual playthroughs (also it would suck tremendously if you couldn't progress because your starter was given a bad roll in all its stats).

from a bit ago, but I will die on the hill that "IVs and EVs are bad" because they just made pokemon randomly less good which seems completely against the spirit of the game being about training and friendship. We don't need IVs and EVs to create variance between two pikachus because that's what nature, ability, gender, and attacks are for. Also, at 800 pokemon I think it's okay if two pikachus are the same.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but it's definitely a good move:
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1187726791298953217?s=20

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
IVs feel kind of redundant with natures, imo. I wouldn't mind if in its place there was some sort of crossbreeding stat value, where a father would give a bonus to their highest stat and penalty to their lowest stat or something along those lines.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
EVs are bad because they killed mixed attackers like Nidoking. That’s right, I’m still holding grudges from gen 3 competitive play. That’s not weird at all.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nidoking's journey through the tiers over seven generations:

I: UU
II: OU
III: UU
IV: UU
V: UU
VI: UU
VII: UU

Pretty badass given the series' overall power creep throughout the years.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nrook posted:

EVs are bad because they killed mixed attackers like Nidoking. That’s right, I’m still holding grudges from gen 3 competitive play. That’s not weird at all.

That's actually an interesting question. What would it take to make mixed attackers viable without simultaneously being the best option?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Nidoking has kept himself quite relevant throughout the years, much unlike his gen I compatriots Snorlax, Tauros and unfortunately now, Gyarados.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Bee posted:

IVs feel kind of redundant with natures, imo. I wouldn't mind if in its place there was some sort of crossbreeding stat value, where a father would give a bonus to their highest stat and penalty to their lowest stat or something along those lines.

Honestly, I would be so happy if they had a way to change natures. The breeding grind burned me out real hard this generation (even though it is arguable the easiest it has ever been).

Also, the ability to change what ball a Pokemon is in would be pretty cool too. Not needed, but it will make my life easier as all of the Pokemon that I PvP with must be in luxury balls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Bee posted:

I don't want to deal with that breeding thing but I agree that Natures make IVs unnecessary. They do nothing but make it harder to make your Pokemon the way you want it. There are a handful of instances where you would want 5/6 perfect IVs instead of the full 6 but no instances where you wouldn't want as many stats perfect as you could get. So just eliminate it or roll those stats into EVs and make those easier to adjust.

I'm fine with mixed attackers being unviable though. Unless their attack stats are both average I would rather them be one or the other to increase the variety since then you won't know which version your opponent is running.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have a question that I’ve intermittently wondered about for two decades: What the fresh hell is up with Team Rocket’s “Prepare for trouble” speech?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mesadoram posted:

Honestly, I would be so happy if they had a way to change natures. The breeding grind burned me out real hard this generation (even though it is arguable the easiest it has ever been).

Also, the ability to change what ball a Pokemon is in would be pretty cool too. Not needed, but it will make my life easier as all of the Pokemon that I PvP with must be in luxury balls.

I hope they bring back unique throwing animations too

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mesadoram posted:

I am okay with nature changing but for some reason changing balls is absolutely verboten. That requires effort to get them all pretty dammit, you can't just shortcut that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a question that I’ve intermittently wondered about for two decades: What the fresh hell is up with Team Rocket’s “Prepare for trouble” speech?
okay so, prepare for trouble right?

and then double that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

Wouldn’t that be a career suicide in Japan?

The claim came from this book, which was unsourced. Apparently the Wikipedia talk page on his article did more research into it and the writer cited a myspace page as the source.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Satoshi_Tajiri:_Pok%E9mon_Creator

It comes up every so often because people looking to make feel good stories about autism or "100 little known Pokémon facts" videos don't actually verify the claim or cite sources that then site that book.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am okay with nature changing but for some reason changing balls is absolutely verboten. That requires effort to get them all pretty dammit, you can't just shortcut that.

Yeah, you are right. It would make it wayyyyy to trivial.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just completed my living Alola dex (including all UW legendaries with proper natures) of Beast Ball captures a few months ago

Switching balls is HERESYYYY

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
we are 1 month away now

someone give me the starter evos now!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dr Christmas posted:

I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'll trade a popplio from you for huh.. let's see, a Venipede? Drilbur...?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

from a bit ago, but I will die on the hill that "IVs and EVs are bad" because they just made pokemon randomly less good which seems completely against the spirit of the game being about training and friendship. We don't need IVs and EVs to create variance between two pikachus because that's what nature, ability, gender, and attacks are for. Also, at 800 pokemon I think it's okay if two pikachus are the same.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but it's definitely a good move:
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1187726791298953217?s=20

Have they ever explained why you needed to talk to some guy to rename your Pokemon? Or why he was called the Name Rater, when he never rated a name? They should have called him Nick Names or something.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm not really expecting much until after November 1st.

Smash Brothers started having street date broken two weeks early, but Let's Go was 6 days before release.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
He did rate them though. The thing is he thought the same about every nickname "mmmm POOPOO is good but I think you can do better...Got it! It's new name is DONGS. That's a lot better, DONGS seems really happy about it!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The name rater has logged on

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Scholtz posted:

I just completed my living Alola dex (including all UW legendaries with proper natures) of Beast Ball captures a few months ago

Switching balls is HERESYYYY
This is exactly why they are implementing ball changing actually

They heard your story and decided, "never again"

EDIT: they have not actually done this

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2019

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

lezard_valeth posted:

we are 1 month away now

someone give me the starter evos now!

They don't evolve, so as to make room for the six different gigantamaxed charizards

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They should add an NPC that has strong, randomized opinions about which mons are cool and which suck

Your SOLOSIS looks like a DIGIMON! Your SOBBLE is overdesigned! Hmm... your MACARGO is the best!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have they ever explained why you needed to talk to some guy to rename your Pokemon? Or why he was called the Name Rater, when he never rated a name? They should have called him Nick Names or something.

Here's the poo poo I care about : Will we finally be able to nickname pokemon from other trainers? Because that's one of the worst things pokemon has insisted upon over the years and it's never not been insufferable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
ended up pre-ordering Shield entirely because the GameStop clerk said Sword was the more popular one by far, lmao.

also now proud owner of a super super super cute Sobble plush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is exactly why they are implementing ball changing actually

They heard your story and decided, "never again"

*record scratch* they're implementing WHAT