Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Sankis posted:

Yeah it sounds like an absolute cluster gently caress. Awesome. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows of some really obscure low level spawns that is raking in the xp

It's p99. Everyone knows every spot. Plus, the people out there right now have been preparing for this. As long as the population is new and numerous, no one is getting ahead so much it would make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was thinking of the weird cluster of low level poo poo you'd sometimes see in higher level areas but you're right. There's nothing obscure about eq anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The latest update to p1999 totally obliterated my UI, what the gently caress

I just want a vaguely vanilla UI what is all this transparent poo poo

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Zaphod42 posted:

The latest update to p1999 totally obliterated my UI, what the gently caress

I just want a vaguely vanilla UI what is all this transparent poo poo

It's "classic".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

insider posted:

It's "classic".

nah it definitely is not :colbert:

(I know, hence the quotes)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Wait you can't do the transparent poo poo at all? Was that not an option at launch

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Sankis posted:

Wait you can't do the transparent poo poo at all? Was that not an option at launch

I think there was a full screen option at launch, but no, the transparent UI was added at or around Luclin, I think?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can you not change keybinds now?

153 players in nektulos forest

129 players in misty thicket

Sankis posted:

It forces transparent. I prefer opaque, as was truly vanilla :cheeky:

Happy Hedonist posted:

I think there was a full screen option at launch, but no, the transparent UI was added at or around Luclin, I think?

Yeah I think it was luclin

E: CTRL+O to open options lol

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Everyone should be forced to use the tiny window for a couple days/weeks to simulate the newbie experience of finally learning you can turn on full screen

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I got my human sk to level 2 in Qeynos area. I'm already burned out.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

moolchaba posted:

I got my human sk to level 2 in Qeynos area. I'm already burned out.

Go to the sewers. Unless it's packed too haha.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just camped the entrance to upper guk with a group of 6 shaman for an hour or so. Was fun. So much troll rear end.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

insider posted:

Go to the sewers. Unless it's packed too haha.

No. I'm just not wanting to play.

I'll probably just watch streamers and be suffice with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

No. I'm just not wanting to play.

I'll probably just watch streamers and be suffice with that.

I was originally thinking of playing but I'm not sure I have the patience to try, especially after being into WoW Classic lately.

I'm pretty sure it would take me more time to hit level 30 in EQ Classic than it would to hit 60 in WoW lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gently caress I still can't pick between Druid, Enchanter, Necromancer and Magician

The eternal dilemma

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Remember when the GMs sat around and actively nerfed any experience quest that people were doing on live?

Yeah me neither. Green is a loving poo poo show. Thanks Rogean and staff.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 25, 2019

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Anarch posted:

Remember when the GMs sat around and actively nerfed any experience quest that people were doing on live?

ah yeah that's the stuff

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anarch posted:

I think they did this when Blue first released as well with Tumpy Tonics, since it was becoming a giant drug smuggling operation.

Like GMs watching people doing purchases and turn in for the quests and removing xp from them and then nerfing the quests xp rewards etc.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So this is in fact a very Classic P99 experience.

Also GMs are cops.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Gildiss posted:

I think they did this when Blue first released as well with Tumpy Tonics, since it was becoming a giant drug smuggling operation.

Like GMs watching people doing purchases and turn in for the quests and removing xp from them and then nerfing the quests xp rewards etc.

That actually stemmed from an even worse bug - they accidentally made the nuts stackable, so people were producing them twenty times faster than on vanilla live. They immediately nerfed the experience (even though it was out-of-era), punished a bunch of people, and even refused to address it on Green bugs when it was brought up.

Classic P99 indeed!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anarch posted:

That actually stemmed from an even worse bug - they accidentally made the nuts stackable, so people were producing them twenty times faster than on vanilla live. They immediately nerfed the experience (even though it was out-of-era), punished a bunch of people, and even refused to address it on Green bugs when it was brought up.

Classic P99 indeed!

Lmao, yeah I knew I had forgotten some wrinkle to it.

The proud Tumpy Bootleggers and their extremely low combat skills for their levels.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

insider posted:

Wow that is a low guess. I'm guessing 2600.

drat I was right on the money. Think tomorrow will go higher though.

Got to level 4 Dwarf Pal and about 30%. Honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would as immediately moved away from Kaladim to the more sparsely populated parts of BB that still have low level mobs. Destroying things with my tarnished two handed sword hah.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

launch heroes

really sucks we couldn't form a guild right away

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Twig Guy the halfling druid is destroying poo poo with his stick

DeathJester
May 1, 2004

Some kind of asparagus.

Zodium posted:

launch heroes

not pictured: toad

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Zodium posted:

launch heroes

Lewis was left behind, and is now dead. RIP Lewis.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Working up an Erudite Enchanter, Daniel faced ready when the illusion comes. Made it to 3 this morning before work, Toxx was fantastic on the north side but before I left for work the south was all pixies and wisps. Logging on now, let's see if I can get 4 tonight! The name is Cortical in game.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Made it nearly to 9 tonight on my druid Murgg, who is decidedly not Danielfaced. Didn't know you was a goon Zodium

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

insider posted:

drat I was right on the money. Think tomorrow will go higher though.

Got to level 4 Dwarf Pal and about 30%. Honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would as immediately moved away from Kaladim to the more sparsely populated parts of BB that still have low level mobs. Destroying things with my tarnished two handed sword hah.

yeah, my estimate was hilariously low. i was honestly surprised to see over 2k people logged in, never under estimate the power of the neckbeard.

I made a level 1 wiz this morning and noped out when i saw 49 people in Tox.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

moolchaba posted:

I finally did it. I wanted my own EQ server so I could just alter items and power myself through stuff and visit zones I've never been in. Just to mess around till I grow bored with it.

There's a pretty easy setup for ProjectEQ for doing a basic self server, and then there are some other extra steps if you want to be able to easily edit zones/items/spells/etc with their database editor website.

This is for the server part: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Windows-Server

This is for the game files and setup for those: http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/setup-guide-how-to-play.15184/

This is the website to remotely access your server database and easily edit items/spells/etc: http://eoc.akkadius.com/EOC2/index.php

I simply edited the basic staff to have some crazy stats and included a proc for complete heal for my gnome shadownight. He's level 9 and owning things. it's sorta goofy fun. I'm sure it will grow boring, but it's a blast for a few weeks at least.

This seems like entirely my poo poo.

I don’t hate myself enough to ruin my life by playing the game for real all over again, nor do I have the time, so it would be cool just to pretty much have god mode enabled and see whatever I want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nwin posted:

I don’t hate myself enough to ruin my life by playing the game for real all over again, nor do I have the time, so it would be cool just to pretty much have god mode enabled and see whatever I want.

Yeah a long while back I had my own EQ, WOW and Ragnarok servers, purely so I could turn on admin mode and walk around just exploring things I hadn't seen with impunity.

Plus its fun to spawn a boss mob in the middle of freeport and see what happens.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
gently caress, I just saw this today. Going to try and get it loaded up on my work mac tonight.

What class is great, but gets you a lot of down time so I can theoretically play and work at the same time?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

pop punk posted:

gently caress, I just saw this today. Going to try and get it loaded up on my work mac tonight.

What class is great, but gets you a lot of down time so I can theoretically play and work at the same time?

Maybe wizard or magician. Stand , nuke , root , nuke, med for 3 minutes , repeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pop punk posted:

Casters are the better classes objectively and have lengthy downtime even when grouping as you still med often

Cleric would be #1. You just get in groups and you can sit meditating until people need heals?

Enchanter, Magician, I guess less so Necro but still,

Wizard but don't play wizard its a lonely existence

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

nwin posted:

It was pretty fun for a solid 2 weeks, then I bored and removed it all :)

I don't regret it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
A friend texted me a photo of 374 people in Gfay. I was already pretty set on not playing but that just shoveled the dirt on the coffin.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
imagine hearing about crowded newbie zones and being too much of a lil wuss to come join the fun

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

A friend texted me a photo of 374 people in Gfay. I was already pretty set on not playing but that just shoveled the dirt on the coffin.

The first night there were up to 2700, and it's tapered off to 2300 max the 2nd night.

I've logged back in and now have my SK up to level 5 (soon 6).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I didn’t have time to play, but I watched some and the guy was complaining because they nerfed some quests, I think specifically bone chips but maybe others.

Seems surprising considering the weird lengths they go for accuracy in certain areas seems arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
They increased spawn times to deal with all the players in newbie zones then I guess weren’t a fan of people doing bone chip quests with the increased spawn rate. I’m confused why it matters but not my server.

I popped on last night and was amused to find every single spawn in the Qeynos newbie yard camped. :3: