Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

I've never played a fallout game and know who vault boy is. If that is anything other than marketing please explain how.

hint: not all marketing is an explicit ad.

I'm trying to tell you that the Interplay fallout and the Bethesda fallout are two different things, and it definetly wasnt a marketing thing under Interplay. The goofy vaccum tube logo was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm trying to tell you that the Interplay fallout and the Bethesda fallout are two different things, and it definetly wasnt a marketing thing under Interplay. The goofy vaccum tube logo was, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

the best thing about this subscription thing is that nothing works. there's two features that the 3 players still playing have been asking for for ages:

"create private server" thing doesn't create a new server, people who create private servers see npcs killed and boxes looted already. also not really private, since other people can still join any server as long as any friend of theirs is playing on it.

"big inventory box" that's supposed to help you hoard poo poo since of course the basic game doesn't have a loving box, you have to subscribe for it. except the box just eats any items you throw into it, and are just gone lmao

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Truga posted:

the best thing about this subscription thing is that nothing works. there's two features that the 3 players still playing have been asking for for ages:

"create private server" thing doesn't create a new server, people who create private servers see npcs killed and boxes looted already. also not really private, since other people can still join any server as long as any friend of theirs is playing on it.

"big inventory box" that's supposed to help you hoard poo poo since of course the basic game doesn't have a loving box, you have to subscribe for it. except the box just eats any items you throw into it, and are just gone lmao

It was sold as a full price game at launch too.

Pretty incredible grift from the people that bought you horse armour.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I stopped playing those games for ages but I think the vault boy was an in game advertising design to parody 50s cartoons, bioshock employed the same design for some of its in game material, it got popular and when Bethesda bought the franchise they learned the wrong lessons and marketed the hell out of vault boy. There is even a mobile phone game purely based on the character alone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or a lesson learned too well, depending on how you put it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

This is actually a clever reference to the car in Fallout 2 that would make any items placed in the trunk disappear.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

except for basically anything shared between classic and new fallout you care to mention, basically. Todd Howard has a child's brain, or zenimax does, not that it makes a difference

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

autism ZX spectrum posted:

This is actually a clever reference to the car in Fallout 2 that would make any items placed in the trunk disappear.

i don't think the items disappeared. The whole drat trunk disappeared and you'd be driving around a sick coupe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this makes me wish i was dead

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schneider Inside Her posted:

i don't think the items disappeared. The whole drat trunk disappeared and you'd be driving around a sick coupe

Fallout 2 had the most amazing bugs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm always wary of people that treat their business as a 'hobby' since they'll be like a kid who gets a pony - quickly grow tired of the actual work that involves caring and supporting a living thing and neglect it while barring anyone else from making meaningful improvements in its existence.

My last job was at a company that was basically a rich dude's hobby, but he was very invested in it because it was his entire identity and how he squared "I grew up rich and never had to do real work" with "I am a successful person".

It helped that his brother was way more successful than him so he constantly felt inadequate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Inceltown posted:

I've never played a fallout game and know who vault boy is. If that is anything other than marketing please explain how.

the vault boy was a set of goofy little sketches on the character sheet in the original Fallouts, and IIRC appeared nowhere else. This would be an utterly bizarre definition of marketing.

That he got repurposed as an irony-brand Mickey Mouse after the IP got bought is precisely what people are talking about, here.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the vault boy was a set of goofy little sketches on the character sheet in the original Fallouts, and IIRC appeared nowhere else. This would be an utterly bizarre definition of marketing.

He's the player representation for perks and skills. It's not that bizarre for the player stand-in to become the face of a game series with faceless PCs.

Byzantine has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Oct 25, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

yepppp

this is from fallout 2

and this was cut from 2

it was supposed to be the icon for the "child killer" status

so yeah interplay was p obviously not using him for marketing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I love pip boy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Byzantine posted:

He's the player representation for perks and skills. It's not that bizarre for the player stand-in to become the face of a game series with faceless PCs.

This has literally nothing to do with advertising. I may identify with any random sentence describing Ignatius J. Reilly, this does not mean every word of A Confederacy of Dunces is now a commercial.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

And gosh darnit, pip boy loves you

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

foobardog posted:

:kimchi:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

foobardog posted:

Love to enjoy this good quality brand engagement

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Rarity posted:

Love to enjoy this good quality brand engagement

I got that line from an old rear end Toomba 2 ad I saw in high school. Marketing is evil.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Sure, I think all people are saying is that it happened later (especially once they got bought) rather than designed that way from the beginning.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
in the early days, and even through 3 and New Vegas to an extent, power armor was much more the face of the franchise. that Fallout 2 title screen with the Enclave Tesla armor is probably the most iconic image of the series in the minds of older players.

Fallout 3 started focusing more on Vault Boy and then Fallout 4 and Fallout Shelter went all-in on him.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Sure, I think all people are saying is that it happened later (especially once they got bought) rather than designed that way from the beginning.

Yeah this is as straightforward as someone observing that Rambo was originally a story about the government loving kids up in pointless wars and leaving them to die before it got turned into an Army recruitment ad, and a bunch of guys who only ever watched the 2008 one rushing in to inform everyone that well actually Rambo is a prowar franchise

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Oct 25, 2019

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1186640142200725504

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

I know who the Girl with a Pearl Earring is

What an example of shameless marketing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Too lazy to do a distracted boyfriend meme with "decent pay and hours" and "free coffee"

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1187784998449008642

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

They misheard their employees complaining about having to grind every day and thought they wanted a barista

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I got that bug. And the fix for it required you to loving restart the game because it made your save game completely incompatible. The did include a trainer with the patch though so you’d start back at the village as level 20 or whatever and get to redo the hours and hours of newbie quests and poo poo you’d already done but you could at least do them faster because you could one shot the ants and fire geckos.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Too lazy to do a distracted boyfriend meme with "decent pay and hours" and "free coffee"

Not gonna lie, free coffee will go a long way with me.

The coffee is probably trash though, and I'm not the kind of computer toucher they're looking for.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CIG has a 20,000 dollar espresso machine and a barista and once a week Chris Robberts will stop by your desk and disapprove the last 4 characters you you created making you redo 3 months of work.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

And his wife will call you a pussy if you happen to run into her after hours when she’s using the company AV equipment and space to do stuff with her theater troupe.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird with big dick posted:

CIG has a 20,000 dollar espresso machine and a barista and once a week Chris Robberts will stop by your desk and disapprove the last 4 characters you you created making you redo 3 months of work.

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1187388510963150849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

also the star citizen convention is next month get fuckin hype!!!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh poo poo I haven't even noticed it's the vaporware company. Must be great being paid to work on random crap for your later portfolio after the jig is ultimately up, if you can stomach the internal politics

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean that probably left a lower atmospheric carbon footprint than just burning it would have, checkmate environmentailures :smugdog:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

I mean that probably left a lower atmospheric carbon footprint than just burning it would have, checkmate environmentailures :smugdog:

give this corporate person a nobel peace prize

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

is that really something you can promise

it could happen to you at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It looks like the latest Cali fire may have been caused by the power company not doing maintenance. Again.

It's so nice that the Cali and NSW fire seasons now just blur into one. You literally haven't gotten out of the "poo poo, everything is on fire now it's summer" before we here in Australia hit the "poo poo, everything is on fire now it's summer" phase.

At least our fires are arson and stuff rather than just straight up Burn Grandma Millie