Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My best AvP memories definitely came from AvP 99. Yeah, there we tunnels and air shafts you could hide in. I remember my friend was a Marine and I was just waiting in a shaft above him. We were sitting right next to each other since we were using the ol' router and I kept being creepy. He backed into a corner, right below the shaft, and was frantically looking around. I came down the shaft a little until my jaws opened up and BOOM. He screamed. It was great.

The horde mode was awesome. Bunker was the best map. AvP 2010 also has a horde mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We were sitting right next to each other since we were using the ol' router and I kept being creepy. He backed into a corner, right below the shaft, and was frantically looking around. I came down the shaft a little until my jaws opened up and BOOM. He screamed. It was great.

This probably sounded different in your head.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Torquemada posted:

Still pretty appropriate for a Aliens thread though...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tombstone - Excellent movie. The whole cast is really good and Michael Biehn is great as Johnny Ringo.
True Lies - Classic Bill Paxton being a complete shithead.
Navy Seals - Haven't seen it and had no idea Paxton was in it. Again, Michael Biehn.
Predator 2 - The classic Bill playing an rear end in a top hat. But he completely redeems himself and is a hero.
Nightcrawler - Haven't heard of this one.
Frailty - I just watched this a night or two ago and it's just so creepy. Bill Paxton plays an excellent dad who is completely insane (or is he).

He truly was. If someone asked me who my favorite actor was... I'd probably say Bill Paxton. I can't think of anyone else who has a decent range like him who is likable and you can also hate.

:rip: :(

Infusing your inner life with Conan

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

My best AvP memories definitely came from AvP 99. Yeah, there we tunnels and air shafts you could hide in. I remember my friend was a Marine and I was just waiting in a shaft above him. We were sitting right next to each other since we were using the ol' router and I kept being creepy. He backed into a corner, right below the shaft, and was frantically looking around. I came down the shaft a little until my jaws opened up and BOOM. He screamed. It was great.

Game over, man, game over.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Durzel posted:

Sometimes you just want to be enthralled from start to finish, without thinking about the villain's motivations or how the film is a modern day metaphor for foreign policy or trickle down economics or something.

Aliens is a perfectly exquisite meal that one can enjoy over and over without it being diminished in any way. I could probably recite the script to at least half the film and yet I'm never bored of watching it. It's the cinematic equivalent of a pint of beer, you've had countless ones before but the next one is just as good. Yes it's both great food and great beer.

Also the only thing decent from the Directors Cut is the sentry scenes, the rest just screws up the pacing and overexplains stuff.

I like this description a lot. I have seen Aliens countless of times, easily one of my favourite movies of all time.

Alien: Isolation, though more of a homage to the first movie, is a masterpiece as well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Durzel posted:

Also the only thing decent from the Directors Cut is the sentry scenes, the rest just screws up the pacing and overexplains stuff.

Thank you.

In particular I think it's a little on the nose that Newt's family had to be patient 0.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Crushed through this thread as a terminator fan, finally excited about the Alien franchise, totally bummed I missed the theater release by a week. Gonna watch through Alien/Aliens next week to make up for it. Thanks, thread.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

MW posted:

Alien: Isolation, though more of a homage to the first movie, is a masterpiece as well.

Of all the horror games I've played (starting back in the PS1 Silent Hill / Resident Evil days), A:I is the only one where I've had to stop and take breaks to chill out.

It really sells the helplessness and panic of being a small, squishy human, and trying to survive against this fast, relentless, unstoppable monster.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Of all the horror games I've played (starting back in the PS1 Silent Hill / Resident Evil days), A:I is the only one where I've had to stop and take breaks to chill out.

It really sells the helplessness and panic of being a small, squishy human, and trying to survive against this fast, relentless, unstoppable monster.

Alien Isolation is my new favorite survival horror game, replacing the former heavyweight champion, System Shock 2.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I found this thread via the Good Threads thread so I’m starting on p1

Just dropping this here to let everyone know that this is my favorite movie of all time.

Please do not use this against me for security question purposes, tia.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Now they're married and raise sheep together on a farm.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone remember Aliens: Colonial Marines where the Aliens acted nonchalantly like they were strolling to the 7-11 and refused to attack you unless you walked straight up to them and started whaling on them with your fists or whatever?

And how removing one character from a string in an .ini file nearly fixed it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone remember Aliens: Colonial Marines where the Aliens acted nonchalantly like they were strolling to the 7-11 and refused to attack you unless you walked straight up to them and started whaling on them with your fists or whatever?

And how removing a space from a string in an .ini file nearly fixed it?

Yeah it was something like that. I saw a video of a guy who fixed it, and apparently it does somewhat improve the game.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Game over, man, game over.

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/1185945788763066368?s=21

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thank you.

In particular I think it's a little on the nose that Newt's family had to be patient 0.

It changes a lot of the subtext of the final fight if the Queen is born from Newt’s father (and his stand in as the representation of the underrepresented union workers whose lives are exploited while laboring in the company’s colony.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Binary Badger posted:

Which would have been caught when compiling it.
But they ignored it, because Randy Pitchford.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torquemada posted:

lol, yeah good call.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I once tried to sell Drupal to Creative Assembly as an internal knowledgebase tool for the development of A:I. There were very polite and kind Home Counties types

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Bout to watch the poo poo outta Aliens right now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The music from the c64 alien game is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCPoh9v_3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdk8aQqrFU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This tweet is truly his greatest work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This tweet is truly his greatest work.
Well yeah it's short

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

It's not even the best line in Aliens

That honour belongs to "Why don't you put her in charge?!?!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's not even the best line in Jaws.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

A-firmative.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Splicer posted:

Well yeah it's short

dunk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hellotoothpaste posted:

Bout to watch the poo poo outta Aliens right now.

:hmmyes:

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm partial to:

Bishop: I'm afraid I have some bad news.
Hudson: Well that's a switch!

I've been recently incorporating "Well that's a switch" into my real life.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hick’s “How long ‘til it blows?” is a masterpiece of resignation.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Gentlemen, are we all so soon forgetting "No, have you?"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not bad for a human.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A very young Bill Paxton is also in Streets of Fire, and there is no reason for anyone who loves Aliens not to love Streets of Fire.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Hick’s “How long ‘til it blows?” is a masterpiece of resignation.

Lol drat I could hear that perfectly in my head still

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Gentlemen, are we all so soon forgetting "No, have you?"
You mean the “Vasquez, has anybody ever mistaken you for a man?” line.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I'm still partial to "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?,
"Get away from her you BITCH!", "Stop your grinnin', and drop your linen!", "Look into my eye", "I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."...

And of course, my personal favorite...
"I'm ready, man. Check it out! I am the ultimatebadass! State of the badass art! You do not want to gently caress with me. Check it out! Hey, Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..."

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 26, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, OK, as much as I want to say it's one of Hudson's many lines (especially that "ultimate badass" monologue), "Get away from her you BITCH!!!" is the one. Every time you see the movie in theatres, that one gets thunderous applause.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Runaktla posted:

You mean the “Vasquez, has anybody ever mistaken you for a man?” line.

Great distinction.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Also you're all fools, it's clearly
"we're in the pipe, five by five."

:h: :h: :h:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've never really thought about quite how insanely quotable Aliens is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm quite fond of "I'm happy to disappoint you."