Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

His issues with alcohol bit him in the rear end yet again, he broke some poo poo (at the rental) and got arrested. We're now stuck giving a girl he was allowing to live there, against the lease and our ok, a 30 day notice. We're borderline about giving him a 30 day as well. He's in a hotel for the week so she can pack her poo poo and hopefully move out but if she decides to stick around for the full 30 there's nothing we can do and he can't go near the place. This might be the thing that finally breaks any and all sympathy we've had for him. I'm running on two hours of sleep going to a wedding rehearsal in an hour to top things off. It's a poo poo show. Good news is Dad is driving down today to deal with this bullshit so we don't have to do 100% of it, he is the only ongoing point of contention in our marriage.

Sorry to hear, if you ever want to message me about alcohol or treatment please do. I sought them on my own after getting to a bad place (luckily before getting into legal trouble). Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Amazingly, he’s incredibly respectful in general but especially of cars and bikes. I taught him to drive standard when he was nine years old, and he learned to ride motorcycle at 12. He helped me repair and modify the RX7 all last winter, so that will be his first car although it won’t really be a daily driver. He will probably end up getting the FXT for that job.

I'd say that hes gonna be cooler than all of us combined except that he probably already is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The leak is fixed and I might cry. Just the stress of this melting away is making me really emotional.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Get mentally ready for the next thing to break. Fuckin' houses.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Sorry to hear, if you ever want to message me about alcohol or treatment please do. I sought them on my own after getting to a bad place (luckily before getting into legal trouble). Good luck.

Thank you, we're pushing for rehab or counseling at a minimum since this is an ongoing issue for a decade or more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Get mentally ready for the next thing to break. Fuckin' houses.

This was a bit more than a "oh poo poo, I need some spackle" project

diggin'

the copper running into the poly line

copper pulled out (it slid right out)

pex ran through from outside

new line in place

installed

All buttoned up, water is on, no leaks in the fitting and the constant trickle is down to a few drops from all the water that flowed out down here. Sump has gone off once in two hours as it pumps those last drops out. Tomorrow I'll do the final hookup on the now unneeded dry well and bury the last of it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's damned awesome.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Darchangel posted:

Where? We can do that here in TX at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, TX.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/dinosaur-valley
It's pretty cool - about an hour and a half south of DFW.

This was in Warner Valley in southern Utah. There are heaps of dinosaur monuments and stuff in Utah. This was just a little more unique from the accessibility and just how many things had to just happen over the years for them to be where they are. Surrounded by some awesome off roading. It was pretty sweet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Glad you got that sorted rhyno, I know how stressful house breaks can be.

I love how observant kids can be sometimes Nipped out to the shops with 6yro daughter, she noticed a section of the dash wasn't lit, asked if a bulb was out. Guess it is? She wants to help replace it tomorrow.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Go with a led bulb, that way it inevitably ends up brighter than everything else.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's damned awesome.

Yeah... It's really great that the plan worked out

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

This was a bit more than a "oh poo poo, I need some spackle" project

Hope that does it and you can relax for a bit.

I paid about 20k fixing PO gently caress ups too. Right after moving in we found the AC didn't work (entire HVAC system replaced, it was a cluster gently caress) and even now it's just ok. Looked into legal action as well but since he installed it himself without permits (or had somebody do it on the side) the lawyer thought there was some sort of plausible deniability since he also installed it just before summer and possibly hadn't tested it. That was a real pisser.

E: not trying to one up on who's PO was more of a shithead. All of them are and I look forward to the hidden secrets of the next lovely house.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 26, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nipped out to the shops with 6yro daughter, she noticed a section of the dash wasn't lit, asked if a bulb was out. Guess it is? She wants to help replace it tomorrow.
6 year old's hands are pretty much a requirement for replacing dash bulbs in my experience...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Father in law passed away suddenly due to an aggressive lymphoma. The week after the funeral, a deer hit me on the way home. Insurance totaled it and I took the owner retained settlement, nearly everything was cosmetic.

Current state is this but it shouldn’t be too bad to put everything back together once I get a few replacement parts.

In the meantime I’m driving what is now my mother in law’s spare car, an absolutely mint 2011 4 banger ranger with 149k,completely immaculate inside. I’ve only driven it one day and I’m already in love. Has a bed liner and bed cover.

I’ve already talked the wife in to buying it, I just need to figure out a fair offer number. The MIL has already verbally offered it to us. Here it is next to my boss’s F350:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 26, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

devmd01 posted:

Current state is this but it shouldn’t be too bad to put everything back together once I get a few replacement parts.

Heh. I just bought that car with a V6.

And I didn't mean that to come off as unsympathetic, it was just an odd car to see. :glomp:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 26, 2019

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Initialdave - I’m not sure what this is but it made me think of you!

cakesmith handyman posted:

In short the NHS is great, you guys should get one.

I had to go for a hospital appointment yesterday to get my wisdom teeth looked at. I am now waiting for an appointment to get them all taken out.

Who has had this done? Is it gonna suck? :( apparently I will require a double length surgical slot to allow for removing enough bone to get the bottom ones out and because the top ones are into my sinuses.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Daihatsu Copen, they're kind of cool, but unfortunately, only FWD.

devmd01 posted:

Father in law passed away suddenly due to an aggressive lymphoma. The week after the funeral, a deer hit me on the way home. Insurance totaled it and I took the owner retained settlement, nearly everything was cosmetic.

I don't think "believing a transverse-engined VAG product is worth owning" is a recognised stage of grief.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 26, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

devmd01 posted:

In the meantime I’m driving what is now my mother in law’s spare car, an absolutely mint 2011 4 banger ranger with 149k,completely immaculate inside. I’ve only driven it one day and I’m already in love. Has a bed liner and bed cover.

I’ve already talked the wife in to buying it, I just need to figure out a fair offer number. The MIL has already verbally offered it to us. Here it is next to my boss’s F350:

For added hilarity, get a picture of it next to the new Ranger “compact pickup”.

Tomarse posted:

I’m the ivy growing through the panel gap.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

InitialDave posted:

Daihatsu Copen, they're kind of cool, but unfortunately, only FWD.

I don't think "believing a transverse-engined VAG product is worth owning" is a recognised stage of grief.

I love the car, it’s been paid off since day one. The wagon is faster than you’d expect for what it is, nobody expects it to pull like it does. 185k on the clock, and I’ve been on top of maintenance and repairs. Cheaper than buying a new car, I can keep saving up for a replacement and pay cash. In Indiana you don’t even need to get a salvage title if it’s older than 7 years.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Tomarse posted:

I had to go for a hospital appointment yesterday to get my wisdom teeth looked at. I am now waiting for an appointment to get them all taken out.

Who has had this done? Is it gonna suck? :( apparently I will require a double length surgical slot to allow for removing enough bone to get the bottom ones out and because the top ones are into my sinuses.

I had all of mine out right after high school (three were impacted), and while my recovery was hilarious to those around me, it wasn't too bad all things considered. I mostly sat around and drooled blood and pudding on myself until the anesthesia wore off, and then I was back to being my normal, grumpy self, just with holes in my mouth. Don't eat nachos or anything similarly pointy (they'll cut the stitches and you'll bleed everywhere. I, uh, heard that from a friend) and you'll be ok within a couple weeks.

This is also how I found out I'm allergic to codeine. Went to see Ocean's 13 and in the parking lot I couldn't stop alternating between hysteric laughter and full on ugly crying. Scared the poo poo out of my friends and had a couple people ask me for drugs :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

I got all of mine yanked out (the bottom right one was completely sideways). It wasn't so bad, but the recovery is a pain. Do what they tell you, on the schedule that they tell you, to avoid dry sockets. Don't schedule anything during the immediate recovery period until you know how you are feeling, so that you aren't owly or pukey at, say, a Christmas party.

I chose to get a lot of my calories from those meal replacement drinks they have for old people ("Boost" here, probably something else in other countries) and it worked okay. You can't use a straw, obviously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Video
https://youtu.be/iytnKlb_J8s

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If we're at 'removing bone' then those two will almost certainly get incisions/stitches, maybe the uppers too. That means a somewhat longer, more painful recovery but no risk of dry socket (or a lower risk of dry socket if you aren't stitched on all corners, at least). If you do have a socket or two, you'll need some black tea bags around so make sure you're stocked up (trying to avoid stereotypes here :v: also Tetley is preferable, the round bags have less seams so they're more comfortable to stick in your mouth for hours). Seconding liquid meal replacements, I used Carnation Instant Breakfast which is also a regional product you have no access to lol. Doing it surgically means you bypass most of the issues I had with it, and past that it's just like, a day or two where you don't taste anything but blood and tea while being moderately but tolerably sore, reading/playing vidjagames/watching movies and pretty much texting people in the same room because your mouth is full of gauze and teabags and you can't talk.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mmmm satisfying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

devmd01 posted:

I love the car, it’s been paid off since day one. The wagon is faster than you’d expect for what it is, nobody expects it to pull like it does. 185k on the clock, and I’ve been on top of maintenance and repairs. Cheaper than buying a new car, I can keep saving up for a replacement and pay cash. In Indiana you don’t even need to get a salvage title if it’s older than 7 years.
Yeah, I do get it, I was mainly just being :imunfunny: fuelled by the experience I have of that stuff being "other people's broken ones".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

mmmm satisfying.

It was great. Pex slid in very easily too, I wish I'd filmed more.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

the experience I have of that stuff being "other people's broken ones".

It's seriously like you guys are channeling the car I picked up last night.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HandlingByJebus posted:

Definitely replace the soft fuel lines, especially the ones connected to the fuel filter. My EJ25 Legacy used to split those every couple of years.

Both lines on the filter look very recent; they're definitely bulk EFI hose, with the original hose clamps. The return line looks original though (at least, I assume it's a return line).

I just googled to see if it's a return line, and oh hey this was one of the first links and seems very helpful. My leak is exactly where theirs was. I think I'd prefer to re-use the original clamps instead of cheap worm clamps though; I'll trust fuel injection pressure specced OEM clamps over cheap worm clamps any day. Looks pretty easy to do the passenger side (which is what's leaking), the return line is dead nuts simple. The driver's side one looks pretty cramped, and about 2 inches long. I miiiiight wait for that one to leak before I do it. Also gonna blast the engine bay with degreaser when I'm done. I want to see if that damp injector winds up damp again; if not, I'll set the o-ring set aside. It'll also be nice to see what's leaking and how bad; I'm getting a few drops of oil when parking overnight, but it's hitting the plastic tray under the car and running down to the end.

Oh yeah, that link also shows I need 5/8" hose, which is good to know.

Rhyno posted:

the copper running into the poly line

They didn't have to dig much at all to find that, did they?

Now be amazed when your next water bill is 1/8 of what you're used to.

Tomarse posted:

Me. All had to come out, along with a molar, and some of them came in under each other. I wasn't in any pain aside from a dull toothache now and then, which surprised my dentist. They didn't go into my sinuses, but the dentist said they were pretty hosed.

You're gonna need someone to drive you home. Recovery wasn't terrible, I just couldn't suck (:quagmire:) anything (i.e. no straws... or :flaccid:), had to stick to soft foods for a bit, and make sure to brush lightly, but thoroughly. Sensitivity to cold was a lot worse for a couple of weeks. I was back at work after 2 or 3 days I think. And I'm sure techniques have improved, I went through this in 2003. You'll be getting stitches, but I had to get them too (they're self-removing; they dissolve after a week or so). And IIRC I had to keep gauze in my mouth for a couple of days.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LMAO, dork. EXCALIBUR!

Did they find the spot where it was leaking? Just a bad section, or was the tubing wearing thin on the whole length?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

LMAO, dork. EXCALIBUR!

I watched all the way through to get to that. The nerdiest thing I'll see all day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah they thought I was dumb. It was great.

The leak was approximately 12 feet from the sump, this was the more economical choice as option A was cutting up the basement floor. And this leak was before the meter otherwise the previous owner would have been forced to fix this years ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wait, your meter isn't at the curb?

Everywhere I've lived, the meter is always at the curb for city water - once it's past the meter, it's 100% Your poo poo. Anything before the meter is on the city. So yeah, new to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Everywhere I've lived, the meter is always at the curb for city water - once it's past the meter, it's 100% Your poo poo. Anything before the meter is on the city. So yeah, new to me.

My meter is buried in the ground with a wireless transmitter so they just do roll bys to check usage. There's about 20' of buried pipe in a larger conduit before it enters the house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This house was converted to city water 28 years ago according to the plumbers we had do this work. There is bare copper running 50 feet from the curb shutoff (which is 6 feet from the curb instead of being on the street like most other neighborhoods in town) then it entered that black conduit and ran down under the slab into the utility room. The new, modern usage meter is in my utility room, after my main shutoff. The amount of water that was wasted here is bonkers.

The old sump pump that burned out on Wednesday was firing off every 9 minutes. At roughly 2 gallons each time. So the sump was going off 150 times a day or 4300 times a month. So about 26,000 times since I installed it.

That's a lot of fuckin water.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

This house was converted to city water 28 years ago according to the plumbers we had do this work. There is bare copper running 50 feet from the curb shutoff (which is 6 feet from the curb instead of being on the street like most other neighborhoods in town) then it entered that black conduit and ran down under the slab into the utility room. The new, modern usage meter is in my utility room, after my main shutoff. The amount of water that was wasted here is bonkers.

The old sump pump that burned out on Wednesday was firing off every 9 minutes. At roughly 2 gallons each time. So the sump was going off 150 times a day or 4300 times a month. So about 26,000 times since I installed it.

That's a lot of fuckin water.

What's the cycle time of the sump pump now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

What's the cycle time of the sump pump now?

I've been hanging out down here for about 3 hours and it just now went off for the first time, and it is raining right now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the car moved over to the third bay for better lighting, and I started on the metal reinforcement brackets for the part that snapped off. Using skills I learned watching project binky no less. I should do a thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Id be lying if I said I werent thinking real hard about it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

STR posted:

All the houses in the midwest that I've lived in had the meter inside the house with some sort of remote unit outside the house for the city to read. Having the meter outside the house and above ground would probably not go well during the 4ish months of the year when it turns to Hoth. Outside and buried like at Meatpimp's house would make it rather expensive to service/replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I finally bought a new car. 2020 Corolla LE.

It's cool and good. I thought I would hate the cvt but I actually like it for highway driving. The adaptive cruise control is also super cool.