Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Jeff and Annie romance in Community will not age well.

Wasn't it presented as unhealthy and creepy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Except when it wasn't, yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Was there an actual romance though? I didn’t watch that last season, but it always seemed to be a “will they, won’t they” that thankfully never completed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was there an actual romance though? I didn’t watch that last season, but it always seemed to be a “will they, won’t they” that thankfully never completed.

They kissed early on but it was written as a mistake

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Those of us on the message boards call them Jannie

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly Annie and Britta feel like vastly different characters from about the second season onward. Britta especially.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Honestly Annie and Britta feel like vastly different characters from about the second season onward. Britta especially.

The whole show got really weird after about the third season premiere. I totally dropped off of it early on S3 because it seemed too gimmicky and it looks like it crawled up its own rear end entirely about midway through that year.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
The relentless need to own Britta speaks to something dark and unpleasant in the show's writers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Whiz Palace posted:

The relentless need to own Britta speaks to something dark and unpleasant in the show's writers.

IIRC a lot of the character’s change was at Gillian Jacob’s request and she obviously had a lot more fun playing the later incarnation of the character

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Yeah, I really liked Community for most of its run but Britta just got destroyed as a character. She went from being able to hold her own against Jeff with the mutual scheming and planning and then after a few seasons, her name was literally campus slang for failure.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Of course you're going to be a failure if you mispronounce "Bagel".

I haven't seen beyond season 3 which is probably for the best, and also accounts for 65% of the length so it's more good than bad. I think it's important that we have women like Britta in fiction who are frequently the butt of a joke and a source of comedy, because otherwise you end up with the expendable-woman trope. This is a woman who is never gets to do anything funny in a comedy and is often replaced with the next girl of the week e.g. Austin Powers and Kevin James.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Of course you're going to be a failure if you mispronounce "Bagel".

I haven't seen beyond season 3 which is probably for the best, and also accounts for 65% of the length so it's more good than bad. I think it's important that we have women like Britta in fiction who are frequently the butt of a joke and a source of comedy, because otherwise you end up with the expendable-woman trope. This is a woman who is never gets to do anything funny in a comedy and is often replaced with the next girl of the week e.g. Austin Powers and Kevin James.

Yeah, Britta started out as the Sensible Woman and we should be thankful that she was rewritten.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Writers who can only think to mess with Britta need some kind of censor to make them branch out, someone who will tell them to do something else. A Britta Filter if you will. :P

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

BioEnchanted posted:

Writers who can only think to mess with Britta need some kind of censor to make them branch out, someone who will tell them to do something else. A Britta Filter if you will. :P

this opportunity comes once in a lifetime

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They had the same problem a lot of American comedies do where their designated punching bag character it's okay to bully became very obviously a designated punching bag character it's okay to bully and every joke aimed at how dumb, useless and wrong Britta was felt like they were simply punching down at an easy target. Because that's what they were doing, while moving the target lower and lower each episode because people laughed the last time, right? Even the funny jokes started to feel extremely mean-spirited, and Britta too sympathetic.

The pie in the face is only funny when the sap's got dignity.

Did Community last long enough to do an episode where the actual character literally says it's in the common good for them to be bullied (please keep laughing), like Family Guy, American Dad, Parks and Rec etc. did for their stock punching bag?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
But Klaus does suck. Butters sucks too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gaunab posted:

Somebody wrote those characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sassassin posted:

They had the same problem a lot of American comedies do where their designated punching bag character it's okay to bully became very obviously a designated punching bag character it's okay to bully and every joke aimed at how dumb, useless and wrong Britta was felt like they were simply punching down at an easy target. Because that's what they were doing, while moving the target lower and lower each episode because people laughed the last time, right? Even the funny jokes started to feel extremely mean-spirited, and Britta too sympathetic.

Did Community last long enough to do an episode where the actual character literally says it's in the common good for them to be bullied (please keep laughing), like Family Guy, American Dad, Parks and Rec etc. did for their stock punching bag?

Parks and Rec actually handled it well. Larry just rolled with the punches and put up with it because his job made it able to have the most fulfilling family life he could possibly imagine. Usually the punching bag has nothing else to do besides be mocked or wrong, but once Larry clocked out he was the real winner in life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

pentyne posted:

Parks and Rec actually handled it well. Larry just rolled with the punches and put up with it because his job made it able to have the most fulfilling family life he could possibly imagine. Usually the punching bag has nothing else to do besides be mocked or wrong, but once Larry clocked out he was the real winner in life.

Also he has the biggest penis that doctor had ever seen. The doctor didn't even check him for mumps, he was so shocked by the penis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaunab posted:

Butters wins a fair amount of the time, and even when he’s in a losing position he gets his shots in, like in the bullying episode with his grandma. It’s all in character with his attitude of being crapped on but rolling with it.

Meanwhile, community had no idea what to do with Britta, or Annie, or any character that wasn’t Jeff, Troy, or Abed and there was some cast churn because of it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which was a great shame because the couple of time's they used Shirley, Yvette Nicole Brown always put in some of the best acting of the show. She was a really underused asset. :smith:

Also the show would have been way better if they didn't get Chevy Chase, his character was a drain on the show and Chevy's whole "grumpy old man" personality was a big cause for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

umalt posted:

Which was a great shame because the couple of time's they used Shirley, Yvette Nicole Brown always put in some of the best acting of the show. She was a really underused asset. :smith:

Also the show would have been way better if they didn't get Chevy Chase, his character was a drain on the show and Chevy's whole "grumpy old man" personality was a big cause for that.

They should have learned from SNL and just let him grump out early in the second season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

umalt posted:

He left BECAUSE they were making him the grumpy old man and a racist besides the whole time. Well, because of his rant about that, but yeah.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As much as a legendary rear end in a top hat as Chevy Chase is, the behind the scenes environment on Community didn't sound so great either.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
That's absolutely true, and in retrospect I don't begrudge NBC for dropping Dan Harmon like a rock partway through the series. That man is a human trash fire and should not have the amount of acclaim and success he has had.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

pentyne posted:

I read an article the other day that theorized Jerry was secretly the current leader of a cult (that may or may not worship Zorp*) that made a lot of sense, given Pawnee's take-over by the Reasonablists in the 1970's.

*Hail Zorp.

As much as a legendary rear end in a top hat as Chevy Chase is, the behind the scenes environment on Community didn't sound so great either.

I think it was the season 3 Christmas or wrap party where Dan Harmon tried to lead the entire cast and crew into a giant "gently caress you" chant at Chevy. I mean, say what you will about Chevy Chase, but it's still a work environment.

Supposedly they've made some kind of amends, but it's been a while since I followed any news of that. I mean, I'm the guy that made a BSG/Community mashup video and I still only got halfway through season 5. Harmon's also in my avatar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

His rant was kind of understandable when you look at it from someone who had a lot of comedic talent but was forced to just play a racist villain all the drat time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chevy Chase was great on Community though?

That being said I wouldn't have minded more Keith David and Paget Brewster.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

His rant was kind of understandable when you look at it from someone who had a lot of comedic talent but was forced to just play a racist villain all the drat time.

"Play"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, let's not forget this is the guy who told Donald Glover to his face "people think you're funnier because you're black". Chase is probably much more like Pierce than he cares to admit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah, when every character on Community starting after the back 9 on season one became more like the actor's real personality, and Pierce became more and more racist, because he was, in real life, a miserable old man. And all the work from Chuck and Community to bring Chevy Chase back from walking punch line in the mid-2000s was quickly eroded.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's hosed up to remember that Donald Glover was a diversity hire on 30 Rock

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ugly In The Morning posted:

We are talking about Chevy Chase still, right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

sassassin posted:

The episode of Family Guy where Meg finally stood up for herself and told the family off and then turned back around and apologized to them is the fastest I've ever gone from 'gently caress YEAH' to "gently caress NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!' I probably could have sued Fox for whiplash after watching that.

But that's what I get for watching an episode of Family Guy, I guess. :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have the same issue which is why I constantly root for Cyril on Archer even though he's a trashfire of a person.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vandar posted:

The episode of Family Guy where Meg finally stood up for herself and told the family off and then turned back around and apologized to them is the fastest I've ever gone from 'gently caress YEAH' to "gently caress NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!' I probably could have sued Fox for whiplash after watching that.

But that's what I get for watching an episode of Family Guy, I guess. :v:

That was my breaking point with that show. Glad I did it, since the stuff with Quagmire and his sister probably would have given me whiplash

Pam's the best person on Archer

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

How the hell has Family Guy gotten away with Quagmire for so long without some kind of massive outcry against him?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

HopperUK posted:

I have the same issue which is why I constantly root for Cyril on Archer even though he's a trashfire of a person.

Cyril is like Butters in that he has the veneer of being a reasonable person who is being unfairly dumped on but they're actually just as bad as or maybe even worse than everyone else. I know you already know that but I wanted to say that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, let's not forget this is the guy who told Donald Glover to his face "people think you're funnier because you're black". Chase is probably much more like Pierce than he cares to admit.

Yikes, didn’t know about that one! I just remember hearing about him bitch in, uh, loving terrible terms about how all he got to do was be a racist foil for Shirley/Troy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vandar posted:

How the hell has Family Guy gotten away with Quagmire for so long without some kind of massive outcry against him?

Is it a statement on how few people watch that show anymore? :v: