Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

rannum posted:

Garcia definitely has *some* kind of power considering how his interaction with Issac played out http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-199 http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-200

Unlike the other wind blast (which just brushed off him like uhhhh wind) and the electricity (which he just defused with orange juice) this one he actively bounces back

also yeah after the death cult went from "kooky max dad theory" to "oh this actually exists" i believe in the OJ connection

I hate you for linking those pages because then I went and reread the 50 pages after those. drat that multi-scene action section was good. But then I got to here, and noticed the last panel. A big scary millipede that can control emotions? Huh. Wonder what that'd be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some idle speculation/thoughts:

• Davy talks about "preserving the balance of power" at the school against the Witch -- this is probably why Cody (and Lisa) are thralls/ghouls/minions/whatever "sired" by Davy, I bet, rather than being his actual literal children. He vamped them to gain watchers inside Mayview Middle School and servants who will act on his behalf to restrict the Witch and whatever she's up to. Thus the played-off-as-a-joke side story about Cody and the shadow president and the shadow council etc.
  • That said, I wonder what "half" a monster exactly means. Cody seemed to be honest about Davy siring him, and I mean in the vampire way. Davy also referred to himself as a monster, no caveats or qualifications.
  • Paige is older than Lisa/Cody. Was she a failed attempt at influencing Mayview Academy or what? She has the glowing blue eyes that the other thralls have.
  • Davy was a former spectral. This is important in some way. I would wager it's related to the Dark Spirit that Spender is housing and Lucifer is keeping at bay. Vampire mythos tend to have a Cain-type progenitor.
  • A side note: Lucifer, spirit of light, and one of Hijack's final lines "All of you... and this town... definitely has a bright future!" (emphasis mine) -- what are vampires weak to?
  • The rabbits, Doorman, and Forge are *not* friendly with the evil dogs and I would bet you not friendly with the vampires either. Notably, Forge is a spirit of heat able to generate light (which Spender so skillfully turned back against him in their fight) -- and that whole group was loyal to someone angel-like. It would be very Paranatural for both A. the Activity Club to misunderstand and mistrust their potential allies at first B. The fake antagonist (Johnny) to get Forge's spirit and become a potential ally against the vampires/the dark.
  • Revisiting an earlier topic of discussion, Davy immediately went to the sports equipment room upon showing up at MMS. He was looking for the baseball bat, it's likely, and I'd bet you Davy was hiding other Tools at the school there for whatever reason.
  • Between Cody (Jeff), Lisa (Violet), and Paige (Ritz), it seems thralls apparently have a soft spot for "sincere" people. They fill a void in their souls that the thralls otherwise can't fill themselves. Paige was "testing" Ritz for something and was holding back Gage/Youth Culture from eating her, up until someone more interesting and more sincere -- Stephen -- showed up.
  • At the end of Chapter 4 it's explicitly laid out that everyone in Mayview is now "trapped" there. This is a classic horror flick setup. The reveal that half the town is Vampires honestly isn't that surprising within that context.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 26, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think you're overthinking the Cody/Davy relationship. They refer to each other as father & son a lot, he's half monster and he puts "sire" in quotes presumably because he's his actual son. Cody is presumably a Dhampir

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if cody was a thrall he absolutely could not uninvite davy from the school. that's his baby boy

the cops are thralls, people a vampire has invested a little bit of their power in that become worshipful of said vampire. paige, gage, and youth culture are vampires unless paige is another dhampir

also forge's light wouldn't mean a drat thing to the vampires. they're weak to sunlight, very specifically. it's up in the air whether spender could generate light that would affect them, but he could probably manipulate sunlight that's already there to good effect

(comedy option: 'The Big Guy' doesn't necessarily have to refer to Davy, though it probably does)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Final thought/idle speculation of the night:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-21

"Embrace darkness!"

"Serves ... the rightful heir to the abyssal throne."

"Don't mind if I do."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

also forge's light wouldn't mean a drat thing to the vampires. they're weak to sunlight, very specifically. it's up in the air whether spender could generate light that would affect them, but he could probably manipulate sunlight that's already there to good effect

Maybe he can amplify it? http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-138

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Final thought/idle speculation of the night:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-21

"Embrace darkness!"

"Serves ... the rightful heir to the abyssal throne."

"Don't mind if I do."

lmao I totally forgot we'd seen these guys before

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

explicitly what i was referring to

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It is a little on the nose in retrospect to introduce a vampire cabal into a story where the theoretical strongest primary character is a dude with high-octane light powers (and by extension, darkness powers).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

• Between Cody (Jeff), Lisa (Violet), and Paige (Ritz), it seems thralls dhampirs, I guess apparently have a soft spot for "sincere" people. They fill a void in their souls that the thralls otherwise can't fill themselves. Paige was "testing" Ritz for something and was holding back Gage/Youth Culture from eating her, up until someone more interesting and more sincere -- Stephen -- showed up.

Patware posted:

paige, gage, and youth culture are vampires unless paige is another dhampir

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-14 Interesting to note Gage's reaction at the bottom of this page combined with the latest update from today with Paige saying "We're not animals" and her blue eyes. A couple pages later Paige is the one to react happily to the dog tripping Ritz while the other two are disappointed, then Gage immediately lunges for the kill before being choked back by Paige who gazes approvingly at Stephen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Eight years setting up dominoes and no sign of stopping. It'll be nice to watch them all fall.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
max inadvertently threatening to tell on them to paiges dad lmao

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm losing my mind at the realization that Gage's vampire teeth are right there in that grocery store theft page too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The fooligans being pasty was a clue all along.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Mattress posted:

The fooligans being pasty was a clue all along.
I read that as pastry fooligans the first several times I read the comic, and I'm still a little sad it's not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Splicer posted:

I read that as pastry fooligans the first several times I read the comic, and I'm still a little sad it's not.

I read it as pastry fooligans when someone just linked the page

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

some kind of small fooligan

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's cause they're just FLAKES

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just had a thought. What if Johnny's first manifestation of his powers as a spectral is fire legs?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am missing the significance

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i hope every Spirit Fusion form looks like absolute poo poo like Spender/Lucifer right up until Johnny/Forge

i hope he's the only one to look legitimately bad rear end

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i am missing the significance

My mind is telling me some combination of a Red hot kick, or a rider kick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love that shot just because of Johnny face at Ollie and Ollie just knows he has to support his buddy.

Also Zack is really good at building up things so I have faith in the whole vampire plot. Remember when everyone was trying to guess who Hijack had the whole time? I think maybe only one person in here guess correctly who Hijack took over.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

I'm losing my mind at the realization that Gage's vampire teeth are right there in that grocery store theft page too.

Bongo Bill posted:

Eight years setting up dominoes and no sign of stopping. It'll be nice to watch them all fall.

ah yeah, that's the stuff right there

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

xcheopis posted:

Davy may well have been the horrible thing that happened 13 years ago.

Hmmm.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I actually agree with you but I don't think it's Davy specifically, I think it was the Worthless Scrap that was the horrific event and that Davy caught the main backlash of it and became the top copvire of Mayview.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I actually agree with you but I don't think it's Davy specifically, I think it was the Worthless Scrap that was the horrific event and that Davy caught the main backlash of it and became the top copvire of Mayview.

Yes, I'm thinking he was directly involved, somehow, but probably isn't the Big Bad

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The monsters seem to be an afterthought to the Consortium, as do the monster hunters (a whole faction we haven’t met yet, jeezus) (or maybe we have???)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boss leader being a mummy makes a lot more sense now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-40
Alt Text: Happy Halloween!
Commentary: That's Forge's old footprints from the intro of chapter 4 in that last panel, just to get rid of any doubt there! Thanks for reading!

OMINOUS

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Oh, we've seen these people before haven't we http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-148

Feels like some threads are starting to be pulled together

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats a hosed up looking door

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Oh, we've seen these people before haven't we http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-148

Feels like some threads are starting to be pulled together

good to remember that these people are aware of spender

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh right, the black speech

what a good code that was

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Aw man, I can't believe Crystal Clearence is a part of the spooky cult. Worst Halloween ever.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So to generate a list of things normal (read no supernatural powers of awareness at all) people are living alongside in Mayview we have
  • a witch who may or may not be similar to pennywise
  • vampires
  • a spirit of nuclear strength
  • cultists of dubious intents
  • the doorman and his group
  • Rick Spender
  • a bunch of dangerous spirits that seem to manifest in much higher quantities than is normal
  • at least 15+ spectrals
Thank goodness there's nothing stopping a non-spectral from just leaving because when things go south, and they will go south, hopping in the van is going to be the best option.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

So to generate a list of things normal (read no supernatural powers of awareness at all) people are living alongside in Mayview we have
  • a witch who may or may not be similar to pennywise
  • vampires
  • a spirit of nuclear strength
  • cultists of dubious intents
  • the doorman and his group
  • Rick Spender
  • a bunch of dangerous spirits that seem to manifest in much higher quantities than is normal
  • at least 15+ spectrals
Thank goodness there's nothing stopping a non-spectral from just leaving because when things go south, and they will go south, hopping in the van is going to be the best option.

The magic wall that you may or may not smash into upon entering is still the scariest part of Mayview to me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

readingatwork posted:

The magic wall that you may or may not smash into upon entering is still the scariest part of Mayview to me.

Thankfully it only affects spectrals and other supernaturals so it's less something the normies have to deal with, and more something everyone else does. Because they are all literally locked in with each other. But the idea of a city-wide barrier that will splat you if you try and drive through it because you'll be pressed between a vehicle going 55mph and an immovable object is horrifying.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Brought To You By posted:

Thankfully it only affects spectrals and other supernaturals so it's less something the normies have to deal with, and more something everyone else does. Because they are all literally locked in with each other. But the idea of a city-wide barrier that will splat you if you try and drive through it because you'll be pressed between a vehicle going 55mph and an immovable object is horrifying.
Didn't someone ask Zack what would happen if a ginormous spirit (anywhere from whale to moon sized) passed through the Earth? And then they answered "Oh yeah, that happens every now and then, spectrals on the entry side get smooshed, and those on the exit side get launched into space."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder if somebodys got an early warning system set up for that