Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

*record scratch* they're implementing WHAT

Yeah i'm right there with ya. Excuse me???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

*record scratch* they're implementing WHAT
Sorry, that was a joke

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flopsy posted:

Here's the poo poo I care about : Will we finally be able to nickname pokemon from other trainers? Because that's one of the worst things pokemon has insisted upon over the years and it's never not been insufferable.
Even if they make it "you can rename pokemon from other trainers only if they're from the same language cart" that would be great, I don't mind keeping unreadable Japanese names that probably are penis innuendos

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Even if they make it "you can rename pokemon from other trainers only if they're from the same language cart" that would be great, I don't mind keeping unreadable Japanese names that probably are penis innuendos

Exactly! I'm not picky! I'll take the bare loving minimum so I don't have to deal with another legendary/shiny named assface or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don’t modern games let you pick your language though?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that pokemon was lovingly named assface, you monster

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

that pokemon was lovingly named assface, you monster

Tell that to the blissey that was named "your mom" I got.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don’t modern games let you pick your language though?
At the start, yeah, but isn't it not changeable without a new save? LGPE had a dialogue that was like "pick a language you can't change this ask your parents if you're not sure" or something, didn't it?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I prefer You're Mom the Cloyster

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jables88 posted:

Does anywhere know where I can get a quick rundown on how the Pokemon TCG is structured? I'm coming from Hearthstone and I'm trying to understand what the formats are/what I should play/what if anything I should buy. I'm playing it through the online client and really impressed so far but well out of my depth.

https://twitter.com/TheAnimatedBat/status/1187537140516868096

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxyclean posted:

from a bit ago, but I will die on the hill that "IVs and EVs are bad" because they just made pokemon randomly less good which seems completely against the spirit of the game being about training and friendship. We don't need IVs and EVs to create variance between two pikachus because that's what nature, ability, gender, and attacks are for. Also, at 800 pokemon I think it's okay if two pikachus are the same.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but it's definitely a good move:
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1187726791298953217?s=20

Now that is a quality of life improvement.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jables88 posted:

Does anywhere know where I can get a quick rundown on how the Pokemon TCG is structured? I'm coming from Hearthstone and I'm trying to understand what the formats are/what I should play/what if anything I should buy. I'm playing it through the online client and really impressed so far but well out of my depth.

Is there other formats to PKMN TCG than the standard Three/Six Prizes?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
There's Unlimited which is every card since day one but errata'd cards beat past prints. Example, reprints of Bill in the Generations set became once per turn supporter cards so no more throwing all four of your base set trainer copies in a single turn.

Expanded goes back from Black & White's first set to the newest set. There's a banlist mostly aimed at killing combos that could discard the opponent's hand before their first turn, bounce their whole field or other crazy stuff that wasn't meant to mix together.

Standard format is something like the sets from the last two years and rotates around August/September, the time of the World Championships.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I stopped by a GS after work to get the Pokémon pass QR for a shiny legendary. The mystery gift ended being a shiny Lunala. Is this a one per account and done or can I go and grab another code for a shiny Solgaleo somehow?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Pass lets you get 3 codes per account. There's a button to do that.

Sun and Ultra Sun get Lunala
Moon and Ultra Moon get Solgaleo

*If you spoof GPS you can also get the codes by checking in then pressing a help button when it asks to scan a code for a skip option.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is pokemon pass US only or could you gps spoof to like japan only giveaways

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

Your mom is a nurses aid who has to deal with hurt and sick Pokemon on a daily basis. She has a dark sense of humor to keep her sane.

A good meme?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Now that you don't need Heart Scales for move relearning, what purpose does Luvdisc serve?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Now that you don't need Heart Scales for move relearning, what purpose does Luvdisc serve?

A much more delicious one.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Being the prettiest

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Your mom is a nurses aid who has to deal with hurt and sick Pokemon on a daily basis. She has a dark sense of humor to keep her sane.

A good meme?

The legendary irony here is my mother was actually a nurse at a mental hospital in the 70's and has told me the horror stories of working there at length usually with heaping side dose of absurdist humor. One of which was a co-worker who had his ear bitten off and devoured by a disturbed 14 year old boy because he was told to turn off the tv and go to bed.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 26, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

is pokemon pass US only or could you gps spoof to like japan only giveaways

Looks to be US only.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funky Valentine posted:

well it's okay cause it won't be in the game anyway

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

:negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Calling some of those "features" is a stretch.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Level Seven posted:

There's Unlimited which is every card since day one but errata'd cards beat past prints. Example, reprints of Bill in the Generations set became once per turn supporter cards so no more throwing all four of your base set trainer copies in a single turn.

Expanded goes back from Black & White's first set to the newest set. There's a banlist mostly aimed at killing combos that could discard the opponent's hand before their first turn, bounce their whole field or other crazy stuff that wasn't meant to mix together.

Standard format is something like the sets from the last two years and rotates around August/September, the time of the World Championships.

Got it. Do multiple (for example) Pikachu cards exist in a format at once? Are you then limited somehow from filling your deck with Pikachus of different kinds?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SirSamVimes posted:

Calling some of those "features" is a stretch.

Forest, trees.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also a lot of those were one-offs and no one really expected them to be in future games. And a few were just plain awful and I'm glad they're gone(Roaming legendaries, Sky battles, Pokeathlon, ect.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You sound like a shill.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

less laughter posted:

You sound like a shill.

ok

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

If you could get five of those features for Sw/Sh which would you choose?

Seasons
Following Pokemon
National Dex
World Tournament
Additional Region

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
  • DexNav
  • PWT
  • Hard Mode
  • Inverse Battles
  • Mythical Events

Also (not pictured): the Roller Skates and GB Sounds, and Megas but as permanent evos with rebalanced stats and their own names.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So this is where they got the idea for Bullet Seed from...

https://twitter.com/NewsfromScience/status/1187889178530451456

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Andrew_1985 posted:

If you could get five of those features for Sw/Sh which would you choose?

Seasons
Following Pokemon
National Dex
World Tournament
Additional Region

DexNav
Secret Bases
The Underground
VS Seeker
BRING BACK VOLTORB FLIP YOU COWARDS

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Half of these were awful and I wouldn't want them to come back, and some of them could still be in Sword/Shield.

This image is dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And some of them are deprecated, replaced by equivalents or streamlined into the base game

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I'm trying to think of how many of these are redundant, like the vs. seeker and the pokegear both for rematches.

Then I noticed how many are just RNG nightmares like the game corner (seriously in a post-lootbox world you will lament literal gambling) or safari zone or swarms.

Then I noticed a couple that didn't work well at all like Sky Battles or Rotation Battles.

Then I noticed the Trick House.

It's just a weird side area.

It's like lamenting Rout 224 didn't return.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm trying to think of how many of these are redundant, like the vs. seeker and the pokegear both for rematches.

Then I noticed how many are just RNG nightmares like the game corner (seriously in a post-lootbox world you will lament literal gambling) or safari zone or swarms.

Then I noticed a couple that didn't work well at all like Sky Battles or Rotation Battles.

Then I noticed the Trick House.

It's just a weird side area.

It's like lamenting Rout 224 didn't return.
If they don't nickpick enough examples to make a huge impressive-looking collection image to spam on every Pokemon tweet thenn people might realize the majority of this stuff doesn't matter. And if they'd included half of it in exchange for even less new content then they'd get to criticize Game Freak for being lazy and not innovating instead of just being lazy and innovating.

Sky Battles being in there makes it obvious that they were more about getting the numbers to make Game Freak look bad than actually caring about any of these features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wait, Route 224 isn't returning?! gently caress THIS poo poo THEN.

You've messed with us for the last time, Game Freak! :argh: