Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Nope, Lady Sandwich is booj as heck.

Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon, and Tomato is the best sandwich.

I don't like to pretend there is a best sandwich, there are so many vareties and what you want changes all the time. The best sandwich is the one you want right now.

A solid contender for top 10 status in my book would be rye bread, butter and smoked ham. A simple finnish classic.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just seen this posted by the Chief Financial Officer of a professional healthcare organisation (won't name and shame as it was a comment responding to a friend's post):

I did write a long response but deleted it unposted. I don't think there's any point wasting energy on arguing with people who hold such positions. Energy better spent discussing with the 'could be won over' not the 'nothing you will say will make a difference'.

How can people not see that the tories have now been in power for almost a decade and things have just got worse in just about every walk of life for the 90%?
:smh:
"Oh no, not vested interests, however could this happen?!" I say from my comfortable seat in the Conservative Party while quietly hiding all my shares in American healthcare companies

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

:justpost:

You're not arguing for their benefit, you're arguing for the audience and so that people know they aren't alone. As long as 'public ownership good' looks like a minority in the public sphere it'll be classed as a minority opinion.

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm not sure not arguing with people like that in some place like Facebook isn't useless- it's just that you wouldn't be arguing to convince the other person, but arguing for the passive audience which is always there in social media. If you say nothing, other people would see that comment stand unchallenged, and assume it to be true since it's said by someone in a prestigious/vaguely-responsible-for-things position and not jumped on by anyone. With the simple act of disagreeing, you can make people doubt the other person's words, just a little.

Good points both.

I sometimes forget the passive audience. A few years back I posted about FGM. Several months later a Malaysian friend who just about never 'likes' or comments on my posts messaged me to say that thanks to my posts she'd convinced a friend not to have her daughter cut.

Others have now jumped in on that CFO post to say what I didn't say.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/MadeleinaKay/status/1187781590388301824?s=19

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How can people not see that the tories have now been in power for almost a decade and things have just got worse in just about every walk of life for the 90%?
:smh:

People don't really believe these things, they just kind of have them in their mind as "things which are true" but don't stand up to any scrutiny.

Their supposed position only exists in order to allow them to feel morally justified acting in their own naked self interest.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

she needs to gently caress off forever and take all the other ukelele twats with her

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

His Divine Shadow posted:

A solid contender for top 10 status in my book would be rye bread, butter and smoked ham. A simple finnish classic.

Clearly that is smørrebrød, hence Danish.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

People seriously need to stop biting Contrapoints' theatrics for their attempts at praxis

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every now and again I remember the guy who replied one of her posts with "I hope we vote for hard brexit in a second referendum to stop your stupid grift" and for a heartbeat agree with him

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HauntedRobot posted:

People seriously need to stop biting Contrapoints' theatrics for their attempts at praxis

iirc she is an actual furry so if she wants to combine fetishes then that's fine by me

I just wish she didn't record her annoyingly twee songs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rain chat:

My flat is directly over a river. There's also a river monitoring point there as well. It has gone up to 4.2m that is 2.5m higher than about 10pm last night.
Haven't seen it this high since February 2016 when it got to over 5m and was roaring loudly (literally).
A few years ago, this would have burst the banks and flooded all the surrounding fields. Fortunately the council spent some money on flood defence works.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

who likes this poo poo, drat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rain chat:

My flat is directly over a river. There's also a river monitoring point there as well. It has gone up to 4.2m that is 2.5m higher than about 10pm last night.
Haven't seen it this high since February 2016 when it got to over 5m and was roaring loudly (literally).
A few years ago, this would have burst the banks and flooded all the surrounding fields. Fortunately the council spent some money on flood defence works.
The river here has burst its banks and flooded the surrounding fields.

gh0stpinballa posted:

ukelele twats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jROOV1YFU6o

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RottenK posted:

who likes this poo poo, drat

the centrists dads gofunded her to desecrate a Holocaust memorial

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I'm gonna take this as an excuse to post the sandwich I made today.

Something I got from a good eats episode years ago.

Is that smoked salmon? Looks amazing.

e- I see it's actually tomato.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I listened to the EU Magic Girl Song and what?

There's not even a coherent message. Is this an analogy of why Remain lost through the medium of art?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I'm pro-Brexit now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

I listened to the EU Magic Girl Song and what?

There's not even a coherent message. Is this an analogy of why Remain lost through the medium of art?

No it's purely a grift to scam centrist dads, that's all there is to it

The fact that people like this poo poo is the damning analogy to why Remain lost.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You should, it’s great!

Oh also, thanks to Whatevil and my mysterious benefactor who made donations to the Sanitary Naptime Trust Fund :v:

You're welcome mate. Confused the poo poo out of me this morning because I got an email from Paypal with "Receipt from your payment to [yourname]", and I assume you know there's a company which also has your name, so I was thinking "What? I didn't pay them anything!" but then twigged.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

I feel conflicted about the bread cavity. It allows you to seal the bread together snugly without the filling all sort of spilling out and that, but then what do you do with the bread you remove? I don't like to waste food :/

Only use I can think of for it is to dip it in soup, but I've never been one for having soup and a sandwich together.

crispix fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I could quite happily shove the removed bread into my face.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Hold up, you clearly got a chef knife. That should've been sufficient to make this sandwich yet I see a mandolin, an egg slicer, and two cutting boards. How are we going to usher in full communism with you clearly hogging all the means of production? Did you use a spoon to scoop the bread? Two bowls? What do you need that fork for?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I would literally rather click any other link on the internet than this

Jippa posted:

Is that smoked salmon? Looks amazing.

e- I see it's actually tomato.

looks like a niçoise to me - tuna, egg and olives with salad

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

crispix posted:

I feel conflicted about the bread cavity. It allows you to seal the bread together snugly without the filling all sort of spilling out and that, but then what do you do with the bread you remove? I don't like to waste food :/

Throw it at birbs. Scrunched up hard enough, it should give quite a shock to a seagull.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Only use I can think of for it is to dip it in soup, but I've never been one for having soup and a sandwich together.
You eat it OP.

osker posted:

I see a mandolin, an egg slicer, and two cutting boards.
Coohoolin's skiffle band are round for tea.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

Gone full guillotine with my sandwich choice today.

Man, those make the guillotine worth it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

CGI Stardust posted:

Question: obviously it's possible for the "benefit cap" sense of fairness to change over time, but is it responsive to attempts at deliberate change as part of a messaging campaign by party or grassroots, or is it taken as immutable given current conditions? Similarly for stuff like borders, police etc.; without some attempt at changing it, we're stuck with an anaemic party that can't really make progress on these issues, and will just continue reinforcing the same framing - like, arguing using the efficiency of UC frames the cost of services the most important factor, not the human outcome.

At the moment it's a sneak-it-in sort of situation, selling policy using the current common sense and hope that resulting material changes will cause the common sense to change, which is a little bleak. The Tories seem a lot better at it.

I don't think it's immutable, as such, but a large, cumbersome big-tent political party is potentially not well-placed to be the agent of change

The most direct answer is always "but special sympathetic/unsympathetic cases", and from there one needs a raft of civil-society organizations which can float various test balloons to see whether they resonate. This is a terribly risky exercise which is why these organizations need to be disposable and have existences not tied to the party at large. They are effective mainly if they are, let's say, not terribly rigorous with the truth and the context - their purpose is appeals to outrage and a sense of injustice, so the purer the injustice the better, and factors like "context" can drain all momentum out of it. And it's hard to foretell exactly which exaggerations the public will react negatively towards, you just have to fling it out there and see if it gets traction

Only once these civil-social movements have channelled sufficient outrage does the party step in with a policy which seeks to codify the vague sense of injustice into some actionable set of principles and policies... that is when the sloganeering and messaging part can take place

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmao

https://twitter.com/politicalpics/status/1188097355586908160?s=21

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve2911 posted:

I could quite happily shove the removed bread into my face.

This is actually what I did, mopped up the remaining vinaigrette with the pieces of bread, if nothing else they would have become bread crumbs, I don't like waste either.

osker posted:

Hold up, you clearly got a chef knife. That should've been sufficient to make this sandwich yet I see a mandolin, an egg slicer, and two cutting boards. How are we going to usher in full communism with you clearly hogging all the means of production? Did you use a spoon to scoop the bread? Two bowls? What do you need that fork for?

What can I say, I've amassed some stuff over the years. A lot of my stuff is bought 2nd hand, some were gifts, the big cutting board was a hand me down from my grandmother and is over 20 years old, the other wooden cutting boards I have made myself as I have my own means of production out back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
HDS is a mill owner.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Was having a think about this, and honestly, playing the brinksmanship game and winning on labours part over the extension before election could be a massive boost to labours negotiating credibility in the upcoming election with leave voters.

No Deal won’t happen, all we need is that extension signed off before the 31st for all of the good poo poo to kick in.

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean about brinkmanship being a big boost. Has Labour decided what they're doing about Johnson's latest election request then? All the media are screaming at them for being indecisive; of course most of that is the media being total poo poo, but meh.

The EU has apparently said that they will only decide on the length of the extension after Johnson and Labour somehow figure out what they're going to do after the extension is decided, or something like that. So how is that going to work exactly? Do Labour have to guess now how long the extension will be, and then (try to) legislate something suitable, before the EU actually offers the extension?

It just looks like the EU is being annoyingly difficult for no good reason. They could just offer a three-month extension as requested and be done with it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jaete posted:

It just looks like the EU is being annoyingly difficult for no good reason. They could just offer a three-month extension as requested and be done with it.

I'm not sure that 3 months is enough to really run an election and renegotiate the whole deal, just saying, especially with christmas in the middle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Sure, but from their perspective if they offer three months and Johnson says "I will make good use of this by continuing to wank in my office and force Michael Gove to eat the resultant biscuits for my amusement, then deliver a dramatic speech on Jan 31 while having achieved nothing" then an extension is just a waste of everyone's time and money.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Okay, I'm convinced EUSupergirl is some pro brexit psyops.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jaete posted:

It just looks like the EU is being annoyingly difficult for no good reason.

I think the UK side still wins on that count
have been more difficult and caused issues earlier a lot

you can see why the EU actors aren’t keen on bending over backwards to suit the UK’s awkwardness, again. it’s a danger of encouraging more ticking about

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

I miss her clown show now tbh. She was just so comically awful at everything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Sure, but from their perspective if they offer three months and Johnson says "I will make good use of this by continuing to wank in my office and force Michael Gove to eat the resultant biscuits for my amusement, then deliver a dramatic speech on Jan 31 while having achieved nothing" then an extension is just a waste of everyone's time and money.
Yeah, I think it's pretty understandable that the EU would want to force some sort of resolution. I suppose they could grant a conditional extension, like you get till Nov 30 to vote this deal through - no more extensions - or you get till Jan 31 if you vote for an election and we'll see where that puts us.

Private Speech posted:

I'm not sure that 3 months is enough to really run an election and renegotiate the whole deal, just saying, especially with christmas in the middle.
It doesn't have to be long enough to do both - if Corbyn becomes PM then he can ask for an extension based on wanting to negotiate a deal with very different red lines, if Johnson gets a comfortable majority he can push through the existing deal. It's really only an election that returns basically a status quo parliament that doesn't break the current impasse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Those "get ready for Brexit!!!!!" TV and radio ads have gone a long way towards building up the expectations of idiots regarding 31st of October :laugh:

Have they even stopped playing them?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The river here has burst its banks and flooded the surrounding fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jROOV1YFU6o

Up another 30cm since I last posted! At least the rain has stopped.
Also I have had two flood warning alert phone calls from the relevant Rivers Authority!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

Those "get ready for Brexit!!!!!" TV and radio ads have gone a long way towards building up the expectations of idiots regarding 31st of October :laugh:

Have they even stopped playing them?

Nope!

Everything is going to be fine!!