Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you play persistent petitioners in brawl congratulations on your win because gently caress you I'm not sitting there and watching you masturbate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So you're saying Mulldrifter is a Time Walk.

Worse than that, Birds of Paradise is no longer a Time Walk

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So you're saying Mulldrifter is a Time Walk.

Teferi bouncing your Baneslayer is a time walk. Teferi bouncing your Mulldrifter is not a time walk.

Oko turning either into an Elk is not a time walk but one is a lot better than the other.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

After playing several Pioneer games with my friends and what we each brought to test yesterday...Copycat is getting banned by the end of the year.

Trophy leader as of noon today has just been farming leagues with his 4 color Saheeli deck, while my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things it surely seems like the current best deck while people are feeling out the format / testing stuff. The UR Phoenix lists that people are refining are starting to look nice as well.

I really wish that there was a way to observe the MTGO pioneer tournament this weekend, I’m sure plenty of people will be streaming but being able to jump to different games and see what people are doing would be a lot of fun.

How many local stores have started up weekly pioneer events in everyone’s area? One store is doing a launch tournament this Saturday and the big store in my area is doing weekly events starting next week.

Edit - also on mtgo people are running main deck mystical dispute already to try and counter the 3 cmc walkers

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 26, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oko really does mess pretty badly with a longstanding weakness of UG; that it sucks really badly at dealing with “answer me or die” creatures. I would almost go so far as to call it a colour pie break.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

Teferi bouncing your Baneslayer is a time walk. Teferi bouncing your Mulldrifter is not a time walk.

Oko turning either into an Elk is not a time walk but one is a lot better than the other.

thats why they didnt want sea gate oracle legal in pioneer, it would be too good against oko

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oko really does mess pretty badly with a longstanding weakness of UG; that it sucks really badly at dealing with “answer me or die” creatures. I would almost go so far as to call it a colour pie break.

as it turns out repeatable pongify is pretty good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

If you play persistent petitioners in brawl congratulations on your win because gently caress you I'm not sitting there and watching you masturbate.

Someone tried that against me with Oko and I just started turning them into 3/3s. Having a lot of 3/3s with no other text is not very scary. Please play more.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

Someone tried that against me with Oko and I just started turning them into 3/3s. Having a lot of 3/3s with no other text is not very scary. Please play more.

That says more about Oko than it does about petitioners in a limited format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oko is just Pithing Needle for creatures.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

bringing up pongify made me look it up and those suckers are almost four bucks. time spiral was such a rad set

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

bringing up pongify made me look it up and those suckers are almost four bucks. time spiral was such a rad set

There was actually a functional reprint in Ravnica except it made lizards

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was actually a functional reprint in Ravnica except it made lizards
Frog Lizards!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
At what point does your local store start doing something about slow play?

Tried a new shop out of curiosity. Didn't randomize seating so I got to listen to players on the far end of the pod openly discussing their picks and passes, good start.

Round 3 comes around. I lose game 1 in about 8 minutes. Game 2 starts and suddenly my opponent is tanking nearly every single turn. Missing triggers, going back over triggers. Never updating life totals properly. At about twenty minutes into this I call a judge/store employee and ask for them to watch for slow play.

During the remaining 20 minutes my opponent gets warned by the store employee 6 different times to speed things up. We go to turns and I just scoop. I should've upped and left after the second admonition without action but it's been a long day and I simply wanted to play some stupid wizard poker.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PJOmega posted:

At what point does your local store start doing something about slow play?

Tried a new shop out of curiosity. Didn't randomize seating so I got to listen to players on the far end of the pod openly discussing their picks and passes, good start.

Round 3 comes around. I lose game 1 in about 8 minutes. Game 2 starts and suddenly my opponent is tanking nearly every single turn. Missing triggers, going back over triggers. Never updating life totals properly. At about twenty minutes into this I call a judge/store employee and ask for them to watch for slow play.

During the remaining 20 minutes my opponent gets warned by the store employee 6 different times to speed things up. We go to turns and I just scoop. I should've upped and left after the second admonition without action but it's been a long day and I simply wanted to play some stupid wizard poker.

its not really going to be a thing that can be actioned upon at regular REL

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'm currently 1-1 in the flashback Masters II draft league, and wow, banding sucks. People make jokes about how hard it is to understand, but it's also incredibly obnoxious to play against. I enjoyed my first game and was thinking about doing another draft afterwards but nevermind.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kurona_bright posted:

I'm currently 1-1 in the flashback Masters II draft league, and wow, banding sucks. People make jokes about how hard it is to understand, but it's also incredibly obnoxious to play against. I enjoyed my first game and was thinking about doing another draft afterwards but nevermind.

you could've just drafted tolaria

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Banding is a special combination of confusing and busted as hell.

Jabor posted:

Dig and Cruise aren't enough?

Absolutely not. You can't just sit around and cast a Dig on turn 4 and then hope to try to win turn 5 or 6. I'm playing Commune with the Gods, which digs 5 deep for an Ascendancy or mana dork, plus puts 5 or 6 cards in the yard, plus a pile of cantrips so I can Cruise/Dig on turn 3 very easily even if I miss. These other versions cannot cast their delve spells easily, and they're not running much other cantrips or other forms of card velocity, so it mostly seems like their plan is to mull to the nuts or pray to topdeck well, and also hope the opponent doesn't disrupt them.

Dehtraen posted:

I really wish that there was a way to observe the MTGO pioneer tournament this weekend, I’m sure plenty of people will be streaming but being able to jump to different games and see what people are doing would be a lot of fun.
--
Edit - also on mtgo people are running main deck mystical dispute already to try and counter the 3 cmc walkers

You can join the event, play all the rounds without dropping, and then after the finals finish you can watch all the replays of all the matches. If you ever close the window or the client when you do not have another round to play, you can never get the window back up, because of a change WotC made a few months ago. That makes it a huge pain in the rear end for the pauper people to collect metagame information from the challenge, since all it takes is one crash or misclick for that person to no longer be able to contribute to watching replays.

Also Spell Pierce has to be better than Mystical Dispute. How many blue creatures are particularly threatening? Even against random aggro decks, surely it's better to have a reasonable one-mana counter for only non-creatures than a mediocre three mana counter that can counter both. Though Narset and Teferi are both real drat stupid so I can see wanting to do your best against them.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I opened an Oko while drafting Eldraine :woop: I guess I'm buying a Pioneer manabase with that!

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Boy do I love playing against Oko, Simic really needed more tools in this metagame full of colors that aren't green and blue!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the pongify would have been immensely more "in color" if it was a minus. That way they couldn't just blast your creature every turn. As it stands it's basically a kill spell as a plus, which I believe they've never done before since that seems pretty obviously broken!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh and in addition to being repeatable no cost creature removal, it's repeatable no cost artifact removal too, can't forget that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oko is a messed up Magic: The Gathering card

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Turns out having what is effectively Beast Within on a +1 is pretty broken

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh and in addition to being repeatable no cost creature removal, it's repeatable no cost artifact removal too, can't forget that

Playing against Oko in Brawl essentially means your commander's text box is blank if they're a creature

Fun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MikeCrotch posted:

Playing against Oko in Brawl essentially means your commander's text box is blank if they're a creature

Fun

has brawl ever had anything banned?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Baral.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

sorcerous spyglass is banned because it blanks the text box of commanders, something you're only allowed to do if you're the pushed storyline mythic for a set (in which case you're allowed to do that with a ton of additional upside, also you're allowed to be have access to that effect on turn 3 100% of the time).

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

AnEdgelord posted:

Turns out having what is effectively Beast Within on a +1 is pretty broken

I could have told you out in the yard, why are they so bad at pushing cards some times? What farts are they huffing that let these things out the door?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Think how good the card would have still been if it was -1.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
oko would be a neat support card for wicked wolf if he started with -1 loyalty. if gruul and r/b knights could immediately obliterate him with fry out of the board he would not exist as a metagame threat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Think how good the card would have still been if it was -1.

Oh It should be like, minus three. And the food thing should be a plus one. It dodging fry as it hits the board is dumb, fry was created specifically to deal with problematic planeswalkers, don't gimp it just bc you were horny for oko or whatever happened in development

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i guarantee you the reason oko's food is a +2 is "lifegain is bad, everyone knows that, this is so low impact we better make it hard to remove"
then at a different point in development someone spilled coffee on a design doc and made his pongify a +1 instead of a -1.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

MikeCrotch posted:

Fun
I’m running Feather and when I played Gods Willing for ProBlue against an Oko deck they instantly conceded.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Let me play sourcerous spyglass as my commander.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Brawl is unplayable with Oko in the format, what a dumb card

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
What gets me is you only need to play against oko a handful of times to see how busted it is, it’s not like there’s some unanticipated interaction they overlooked. Card’s just ridiculous, and even if you don’t see it just by reading the card it should only take a few games of it hitting the board T3 to see why it’s too much.

So some group of people was definitely able to look at this and still were like “yeah seems fine”

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1188134456118235136

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1188143184204812288

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1188143421346594816

:oko:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So our tenuous dreams of all the decks that can beat Oko coming out of the woodwork post-ban were... excessively optimistic, eh

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Golgari/Jund adventure seems to do okay against Oko but that's about it. Even then your chances aren't great. I'm surprised Esper isn't making more of a resurgence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The secret to fighting Oko is super simple. Only play cheap 3/3 (or smaller) creatures with powerful ETB abilities and no artifacts. How hard is that?