Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"I want to have gently caress with you" is all of us goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

tudabee posted:

See, this was the problem I was having :v: I'm currently trying 5/1/3/3/Shivers and boosting Inland Empire with skills and clothes for maximum premonitions. It's going surprisingly well (after a skill point in Volition to avoid dying to the slightest setback)! Being a very smart and surprisingly competent investigator with absolutely no social skills again feels good and right :3:

Not entirely related, I think my favorite random thing the game keeps track of is Kim wondering why the hell you run everywhere. We got a case to solve, Kim, *chop-chop*!

"Do you not see the amount of speed I'm taking, Kim? I GOT PLACES TO GO, PEOPLE TO MEET."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tudabee posted:

Not entirely related, I think my favorite random thing the game keeps track of is Kim wondering why the hell you run everywhere. We got a case to solve, Kim, *chop-chop*!

And if you buy the sneakers on the first day he'll compliment you on your purchase.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You know there's something just absolutely genius about letting you retry most checks by leveling the skill and coming back later. It makes you want to take silly risks like 17% chance to do (whatever) and when you actually manage to succeed on those low chance rolls it feels incredibly fun and good. (My favorite was succeeding on a 17% chance to Make the beat HARD CORE) which had an amazing payoff and I was so happy I did it.

It also made it, in my mind perfectly fine NOT to save scum and just come back to checks when I'd got a better chance at them. I only save scummed one single red check the entire time I played and took all my losses, and I saved my level up points specifically to unlock checks the majority of the time (when I wasn't using them on thought cabinet, which was frequently) so my stats really reflected what MY character wanted to DO by the end of the game, rather than just me being like "Okay time to max out his whatever".

What a great game. It had really funny moments and really melancholy moments, and it made me think a lot. A++ and I've gotten a bunch of other people to pick it up too.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo I tried to be a cop and do cop stuff, seriously ended up rethinking my centrism IRL and sharing it with the girl I'm dating. She also thinks this game is marvelous despite just reading stuff via text messages.

ps: I'm new on this thread so I'll remark that I'm peruvian and whatever political concepts you have differ greatly with the reality of a third world country.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Greatbacon posted:

Just finished my first play through (~32 hours) as the "Sensitive" archetype, which was amazing. Now armed with meta-knowledge, I wanted to dive back in as the "Thinker" to learn & do the poo poo I was too stupid or ignorant to do the first time.

Within the first minute this happened:

Goddammit this game is amazing.

BERSERKER

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I chose the Sensitive template for my first playthrough, and at the end they told me I used to be a gym teacher. Kim said it made sense since I ran everywhere, knocked out Measurehead, and was good with Cuno. Has anyone else gotten something different?

You're always a gym teacher tho.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

TBH this story would make a pretty good detective miniseries.

I think a good idea for a sequel would be Harry back at the 41st and instead of one big case you go around with Kim and grumpy-partner solving a bunch of different cases while a larger meta-plot unfolds.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

I like how *everyone* is stunned if you say that. Even Kim has a rare moment of losing his composure.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
where do i get the government fuel oil to paint with?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jose posted:

Across the waterlock, to the coast, on the third day, should be pretty easy to find then.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jose posted:

Have you found your badge? (hint hint)

I finished the game last night. When I got to the last dream I figured I was ready to deal with whatever Delores threw at me. And I was wrong. I spent a heap of time trying to get Harry to engage with his memories of her, because I figured he would at least be able to confront his feelings, and your brain keeps yelling at you to not look at any of it, or anything, and I was like "oh yeah, shut up guys, I'm going to HEAL!" No gently caress that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Have you found your badge? (hint hint)

i have but when I went back there i couldn't click on anything since its a couple of days later

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Shoehead posted:

I finished the game last night. When I got to the last dream I figured I was ready to deal with whatever Delores threw at me. And I was wrong. I spent a heap of time trying to get Harry to engage with his memories of her, because I figured he would at least be able to confront his feelings, and your brain keeps yelling at you to not look at any of it, or anything, and I was like "oh yeah, shut up guys, I'm going to HEAL!" No gently caress that

I cannot believe you can miss that conversation. I missed it last night but, man, that's some great writing. They should almost make sleeping during the endgame mandatory. I just figured there was no need to sleep on the island.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Day 5+ spoiler

I failed getting out of the way of the second bullet even though I critically succeeded. Does that always fail even if you had enough reaction speed and a high enough dice result to beat a red-check 20 with no bonuses?

Also probably don't show up to a gun fight without a gun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Frida Call Me posted:

Day 5+ spoiler

I failed getting out of the way of the second bullet even though I critically succeeded. Does that always fail even if you had enough reaction speed and a high enough dice result to beat a red-check 20 with no bonuses?

Pretty sure when the check says "Inevitably" failed/succeeded there is nothing you can do to change it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

Day 5+ spoiler

It does say inevitably failed. Though I've not test it myself everything I read says the result is inevitable.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Okay, thanks. I had an AD&D GM that used to make us roll dice even though the outcome was set in stone so it's a massive pet peeve.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think it's meant to symbolize when you *think* you can do something to change an outcome that is already determined.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Please don't get him in a loop" is just the right amount of hilariously meta.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Xander77 posted:

"Please don't get him in a loop" is just the right amount of hilariously meta.

Lost. Gun.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

I think it's meant to symbolize when you *think* you can do something to change an outcome that is already determined.

For sure. I just saw the twelve pips come up on the dice on a 3% chance of a red check and got my hopes up to get them immediately crushed.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Funky Britches posted:

I like how *everyone* is stunned if you say that. Even Kim has a rare moment of losing his composure.

See also when you follow through with Authority's suggestion on how to take back control.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun. :shepicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I'm sorry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

What a stalwart champion of the working class

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Frida Call Me posted:

Okay, thanks. I had an AD&D GM that used to make us roll dice even though the outcome was set in stone so it's a massive pet peeve.

Broken Cog posted:

I "let it happen" on my first playthrough. Seemed appropriate.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My favorite part of my entire play through was sitting on a swing with Kim waiting for the tide and personally not realising who's car we were looking at until Harry read the number on the side. I was so preoccupied with the badge and the gun, and how important they are for a policeman that I never thought to wonder how we got to the Hostel on day 1. And even then when I realised it was our car I immediatly thought "oh no someone must have stolen... oh no it was me!!! I did this too"

And then to see Harry have almost my exact reaction was funny as hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So uh before the proper end game but close I need to find ruby and determine where the shots came from. I did the land's end check but have no idea where the boardwalk check happens or even how to get to the island. I assume through the locked door on the winch thing that i have a 3% chance of getting through what exactly do i need to do? I've done everything else around the coast as far as i'm aware

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jose posted:

So uh before the proper end game but close I need to find ruby and determine where the shots came from. I did the land's end check but have no idea where the boardwalk check happens or even how to get to the island. I assume through the locked door on the winch thing that i have a 3% chance of getting through what exactly do i need to do? I've done everything else around the coast as far as i'm aware

That task is tied to progression and cannot be cleared at the point you are currently at. Basically, just ignore it for now.

To be more precise, one of the locations is right before the point of no return but might be missable due to passive skill checks, while the other is after the point of return and is virtually unmissable, because it is right next to something that is required for critical path progress.

Randler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 26, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Randler posted:

That task is tied to progression and cannot be cleared at the point you are currently at. Basically, just ignore it for now.

To be more precise, one of the locations is right before the point of no return but might be missable due to passive skill checks, while the other is after the point of return and is virtually unmissable, because it is right next to something that is required for critical path progress.

Is this listening to the wind or is that an alternative method?

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

Seems like a real missed opportunity for some side-questing, Harry.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jose posted:

Is this listening to the wind or is that an alternative method?

Both places I mention are after the point where you successfully listened to the wind, i.e. beat the skill check. And that skill check the difficult shivers one one the coast is the sole way to progress the main quest at that stage.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Weyd posted:

Seems like a real missed opportunity for some side-questing, Harry.

Cursed portrait

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Finally finished the game. Loved it. I think I need to let it settle in in my ranking system, but it's up there. I love that things like this

Broken Cog posted:

Internalizing this Contact Mike thought is the best thing I've done.

actually have logical INTERNALLY COHERENT explanations in the game.

Give me more game ZA/UM. Also, get Kurvitz's novel published!

e: Also give me my Klaasje spy game.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 26, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remember, the little girl who gives you a classic dick hat?

Remember, a freezing girl you can give a hat to?

Well, if you talk to the first girl after giving your dick hat to the second, and repeat that dialogue tree, you get the dick hat back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PATCH NOTES: https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1667947676633775166

I imagine this covers all patches from release to date:

quote:

Fixed duplicate thoughts bug
Fixed Win7 game boot bug
Item and description changes
Adjusted text for Ultraliberal
Fixed Thought Cabinet “Problem” persisting upon finding a Solution
Fixed character creation stats not showing correctly bug
Fixed Kim badmouthing issue
Fixed misplaced area names
Fixed Dicemaker VO
Fixed Pigs spacebar bug
Fixed map white checks showing incorrectly
Fixed red tint after red check bug
Fixed gun not disappearing correctly after looting bug
Fixed boombox not playing
Fixed issue causing Kim dialog to lock
Improved character pathing and navmesh
Fixed Cleaning Lady visual glitches
Fixed Tequila getting stuck after sleeping on island
Fixed orbs in various places
Fixed cutscenes hovering over checks
Fixed quick-save/load breaking menus
Reduced max text size
Fixed player getting stuck in Dicemaker dialogue
Adjusted text for Overproductive Honour Glands
Fixed jackets sometimes hiding shirt items
Fixed HUD icons open state override
Fixed major nerd glasses bonus
Fixed Thought Cabinet white texture bug
Fixed inventory grid alignment bug
Fixed Egg Head animation glitch
Fixed Karaoke UI bug
Adjusted Church rumble VFX
Fixed the other shoe bug
Fixed issue with save file after player discovered the insulidian miracle
Fixed skill points negative accumulation
Fixed Frittte typo in area name
Fixed Tequila stops for inventory fix
Fixed whirling doors no longer bleeding light
Improved saving games.
Fixed issue caused by the thought “Insulindian Miracle.”
Fixed resolution switcher
Fixed internalized thoughts remaining highlighted in selection menu
Fixed camera weirdness in certain conditions pertaining to journal and character sheet
Adjusted ESC key for specific in-game segments
Solved the mystery of the disappearing shoe.
Fixed Kim remaining in a holster position under certain conditions
Fixed visual part of stat resets upon new character creation.
Fixed waking up bug
Fixed certain keyboard combinations breaking the HUD
Fixed Cindy camera lock issue
Fixed Gary's apartment door lock
Improved GOG achievements
Fixed karaoke crowd and loot
Fixed Doomspiral outline issues
Fixed Unity light artifacting issues
Improved weather changes during dialogues
Improved FPS all around
Fixed electrochemistry smokes bug
Fixed health bar displaying incorrect amounts
Fixed getting stuck at phasmid after electrochem check

Remember to report any bugs you may find! - Bug Report - (a link)

Thanks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Randler posted:

Both places I mention are after the point where you successfully listened to the wind, i.e. beat the skill check. And that skill check the difficult shivers one one the coast is the sole way to progress the main quest at that stage.

So uh what are you supposed to do if you have bad shivers? I had 7 including items and clothing and still had to savescum it because I thought no other way would progress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

pmchem posted:

PATCH NOTES: https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1667947676633775166

I imagine this covers all patches from release to date:

Fixed Kim badmouthing issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

So uh what are you supposed to do if you have bad shivers? I had 7 including items and clothing and still had to savescum it because I thought no other way would progress

doing sidequests from that area makes it a lot easier, also there's a pretty good amount of +shivers gear around