Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya but I'd still have to freeze it in something and freshness has been a non-issue so far. like realistically we're talking about storage for tens of hours rather than days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

ya but I'd still have to freeze it in something and freshness has been a non-issue so far. like realistically we're talking about storage for tens of hours rather than days

In that case I suggest storing it in your stomach.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bloody posted:

Reuse the freezer bag? :confuoot:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Something like https://www.beeswrap.com/collections/bread-wraps ?

It's cloth that's waxed and you just sort of wrap it around whatever. Reusable and eco-friendly I guess.

Trogz
Oct 17, 2019

Trogz Dogz

Sadly I took the picture out of focus and didn't think to check until after the pretzels were gone, but I gotta say I'm pretty proud of how my first pretzel batch can out earlier.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I tried the sweet bread from FWSY again and the first loaf came out great, but the second one was very flat and didn’t rise at all. I preheated the Dutch oven for 25 minutes in the oven before I did the second loaf.

When I say no ride, the first one was like my loaf from last week, maybe about 5-6” high. This second loaf was like 3”.

Any idea?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Might have been overproofed. Did you bake them one after the other and leave the second one at room temp while the first one bakes? I think FWSY mentions you can put the second one in the fridge to slow down the final proof while the first one bakes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

slave to my cravings posted:

Might have been overproofed. Did you bake them one after the other and leave the second one at room temp while the first one bakes? I think FWSY mentions you can put the second one in the fridge to slow down the final proof while the first one bakes.

Nope, the second one stayed in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake the second one.

Only things that come to mind are:

1) when I divided the dough into two portions, maybe I didn’t correctly ball/shape it correctly? It was pretty wet and hard to work with so I did what I could but it didn’t ball as nicely as the first bread I made last week.

2) the Dutch oven needed more time to preheat? But last week I only waited like 20 minutes in between each loaf so I’m not sure that’s it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Here is my latest sourdough loaves. Used the rustic sourdough bread recipe from King Arthur.

Turned out pretty good and is a great size and crumb for sandwiches.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Started baking some bread again after a few years without doing any! So far I've done 4 loaves of the Serious Eats simple crusty white bread recipe. Didn't take very good pics, got the outside of the first two and then the crumb of the last one. The first one I forgot to score, and the second I think I scored too lightly. I've got two batches of Kenji's no knead going right now and I started reading the Bread Baker's Apprentice yesterday, think I may try out his french bread recipe tomorrow. So far I've only ever cooked boules so that should be fun and different.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have any recommendations for the thickest, densest, heaviest, blackest Germano-Scandinavian black bread of a gajillion calories? I saw this one and thought it was getting there:

https://www.daringgourmet.com/easy-danish-rye-bread-rugbrod/

I want to spring one on my mother-in-law around Thanksgiving and I also like the novel idea of kind of living off of one of these for two days.

Second thing: I'm trying to diversify on breads to make in my wood-fired oven as the temperature declines. From 900F-600F it's all about pizza, but I'm thinking:

500F-400F: focaccia
450F-400F: ciabatta
425F-375F: kolaches and klobasneks
400F-300F: ...something?
375F-275F: 2.5 hours of dense-rear end loaves of death over hours (oh look how that came up again)

Consider that the oven will cool down gradually. So I have maybe 30 minutes of focaccia, but upwards of an hour of ciabatta and kolaches.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Jälkiuunileipä or after oven bread. A type of finnish 100% rye bread that was baked in the oven after all the main cooking was done and the oven was cooling off.

P.S. a local bread I like is Malaxlimpa, it's not as dense as what you linked, pretty dense though, but used for the same things as the article describes, and it's sweet so pretty calorie packed.

Fry in butter and eat with some fish-mix

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 22, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Jälkiuunileipä or after oven bread. A type of finnish 100% rye bread that was baked in the oven after all the main cooking was done and the oven was cooling off.

P.S. a local bread I like is Malaxlimpa, it's not as dense as what you linked, pretty dense though, but used for the same things as the article describes, and it's sweet so pretty calorie packed.

Fry in butter and eat with some fish-mix

So you bake it after you Finnish cooking? :cheeky:

I just tripped across the Wikipedia entry on Finnish bread. I guess categorically they are leaner than other rye breads--even if you particularly mention a sweet one--so maybe my wife would be on board with them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In case you haven't seen it, here's a bunch of bread baking, ON THE INTERNET.

https://i.imgur.com/L4Quteo.mp4

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 22, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspect Bucket posted:

In case you haven't seen it, here's a bunch of bread baking, ON THE INTERNET.

https://i.imgur.com/L4Quteo.mp4

Please tag nws.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

That's hot.

I'm baking the French Bread recipe from BBA today and currently in the process of the Stretch and Folds. Between each one (the recipe calls for 4, 30 minutes apart) it seems to be almost doubling in size. Is this expected? A little worried that the yeast is going to get exhausted before the actual 1hr rise. Is that something to be concerned with or can it handle being degassed that many times? The dough was right in the 77-81º range suggested in the recipe (78.5º)

e: Seems like it did the final rise with no issue. Turns out I'm not good at shaping baguettes though, hopefully they still work out!

Turned out very tasty! Pretty happy with it for my first attempt at making a long bread.

Jato fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 22, 2019

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for the thickest, densest, heaviest, blackest Germano-Scandinavian black bread of a gajillion calories? I saw this one and thought it was getting there:

https://www.daringgourmet.com/easy-danish-rye-bread-rugbrod/
That recipe is very close to something you'd find here in Denmark. I'd use dark syrup instead of sugar, and always use buttermilk. I'd personally drop the almonds, since it changes the taste and feel of the bread too much for my liking.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Electric Hobo posted:

That recipe is very close to something you'd find here in Denmark. I'd use dark syrup instead of sugar, and always use buttermilk. I'd personally drop the almonds, since it changes the taste and feel of the bread too much for my liking.

Generally speaking, is it something so dense that you end up having to grunt a little to lift it up off the table? I'm trying to achieve a comic level of heft with this. I'm guessing that having wheat/rye berries and some nuts does a lot to really give it heft.

Generally I agree with the idea of using some kind of dark syrup. Would blackstrap molasses be appropriate? It would contribute a kind of flavor and I don't know if that would be consistent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Generally speaking, is it something so dense that you end up having to grunt a little to lift it up off the table? I'm trying to achieve a comic level of heft with this. I'm guessing that having wheat/rye berries and some nuts does a lot to really give it heft.

Generally I agree with the idea of using some kind of dark syrup. Would blackstrap molasses be appropriate? It would contribute a kind of flavor and I don't know if that would be consistent.

I’ve used molasses in dark whole meal loaves before and it works really well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah, it usually feels more like a brick than bread, and it can be really hard to cut, especially the homemade stuff.
By the way, you should soak the seeds and rye berries for ~12 hours, or the bread can end up feeling grainy and crunchy.
I don't really know what blackstrap is like, since we don't use it for anything over here. It's probably fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, it usually feels more like a brick than bread, and it can be really hard to cut, especially the homemade stuff.
By the way, you should soak the seeds and rye berries for ~12 hours, or the bread can end up feeling grainy and crunchy.
I don't really know what blackstrap is like, since we don't use it for anything over here. It's probably fine.
I think years back when I last dabbled in this that I didn't soak the aggregates and got that effect so that's good advice.

Regarding blackstrap molasses: Boiled sugarcane juice makes sugar in its first run. It's second run makes molasses. It's third run makes blackstrap molasses. It's sludge at that point and has to be coaxed out of the jar by warming it up and sacrificing a goat. Rich, dark, and hilariously thick.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think years back when I last dabbled in this that I didn't soak the aggregates and got that effect so that's good advice.

Regarding blackstrap molasses: Boiled sugarcane juice makes sugar in its first run. It's second run makes molasses. It's third run makes blackstrap molasses. It's sludge at that point and has to be coaxed out of the jar by warming it up and sacrificing a goat. Rich, dark, and hilariously thick.
I read a bit about molasses and such, and it looks like the dark syrup we use over here is closer to normal molasses than blackstrap. I'd go for that if you can.
Read all about it here https://www.thespruceeats.com/light-and-dark-syrup-ljus-sirap-2952908

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

I read a bit about molasses and such, and it looks like the dark syrup we use over here is closer to normal molasses than blackstrap. I'd go for that if you can.
Read all about it here https://www.thespruceeats.com/light-and-dark-syrup-ljus-sirap-2952908

I use treacle, which I thought was the same as molasses.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I use treacle, which I thought was the same as molasses.
Seems like molasses and treacle are pretty much the same thing. The big difference with dark syrup is that it's made from sugar beets, so the combination of sugars in it is different, and it's has a higher sugar content at 80%
This is all just stuff I read off the internet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

Seems like molasses and treacle are pretty much the same thing. The big difference with dark syrup is that it's made from sugar beets, so the combination of sugars in it is different, and it's has a higher sugar content at 80%
This is all just stuff I read off the internet.

Yeah, I think what we call treacle is technically black treacle, while golden syrup (good stuff too) is light treacle. Both are forms of molasses.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I made a recipe from Paul Hollywood’s bread book. Sourdough with white chocolate and raspberry. First kneaded sourdough I’ve done. Tastes pretty good but looks a little ugly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

slave to my cravings posted:

I made a recipe from Paul Hollywood’s bread book. Sourdough with white chocolate and raspberry. First kneaded sourdough I’ve done. Tastes pretty good but looks a little ugly.

The inside looks like marble! Neat.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I have a weird question. How do y'all make bread crumbs?

I make a sourdough loaf every couple of days, and often the back heel gets unappealingly tough before we get to it (by which time there's another loaf anyway), which was fine because I could dry it out and then make gourmet artisanal sourdough bread crumbs and soak them in butter and garlic. But this completely destroyed my food processor. (It stripped the interior of the blade attachment, so that the rotor would spin without moving the blade at all.)

I've tried a couple of things since then--most recently a cheap coffee grinder that did basically nothing, probably because I couldn't get the initial chunks small enough.

Anybody have tips? Will a good food processor hold up (this was like a $30 cuisinart thing)? Do I need to soak the old bread, break it up, then dry it out a second time?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can use a cheese grater to grate up the old hard bread. Even a food processor grater blade should be able to handle that. Maybe cut it into crouton sized chunks and dry it first.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

betaraywil posted:

I make a sourdough loaf every couple of days, and often the back heel gets unappealingly tough before we get to it (by which time there's another loaf anyway), which was fine because I could dry it out and then make gourmet artisanal sourdough bread crumbs and soak them in butter and garlic. But this completely destroyed my food processor. (It stripped the interior of the blade attachment, so that the rotor would spin without moving the blade at all.)

I've tried a couple of things since then--most recently a cheap coffee grinder that did basically nothing, probably because I couldn't get the initial chunks small enough.

Anybody have tips? Will a good food processor hold up (this was like a $30 cuisinart thing)? Do I need to soak the old bread, break it up, then dry it out a second time?

Put it in a bag and hit it with a rolling pin to break it into big chunks if it's that hard, but my food processor handles it just fine. It's a Magimix, but I'd expect a Breville to do okay too. I'm surprised that a Cuisinart didn't. Is it one of the mini preps?

Make sure that you don't completely pack the food processor bowl. If the blade can't spin, it won't do anything other than strip the driveshaft.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

betaraywil posted:

I use a box grater, like you'd use for cheese. I slice up bread ends pretty thin and toast dry in a 200F oven, then use the box grater when they're cool. It's really messy, and gives my forearm a workout, though. I like this method because I hate cleaning all the bits of a food processor.

What food processor do you have? A good strong one should not have had stale bread strip the blade attachment.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Working off of Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes has made me appreciate how much more efficient it is to measure by weight. Enough that nearly all recipes on the Internet still being in cups or volume drives me absolutely insane. 1 cup of King Arthur flour is not the same as 1 cup of Gold's flour, damnit!

Anyhow, I tried making Hokkaido milk bread after seeing it mentioned on Twitter and remembering someone in this thread had done it.

It's a fun, simple weeknight bread and it's drat good when it's fresh out of the oven. But it does make me miss the airiness and crispiness of a well done loaf.

I also tried making some 50% rye bread to have with salmon gravlax. I wanted something more like Finnish 100% rye sourdough, but didn't have time to get a rye starter going, so instead I used a bit of my levain culture. I probably could've skipped the levain altogether and used only yeast, I don't think it made much of a difference.

code:
Flour			433	53	487	48.7%
Whole wheat flour	0	13	13	1.3%
Rye flour		500	0	500	50.0%
Water			727	53	780	78.0%
Yeast			2	0	2	0.2%
Salt			21	0	21	2.1%
Levain			120	-	-	6.7%
(Columns are weight, levain weight, total weight and baker's percentage)

The dough had decent rise over 3 hours bulk fermentation + 1 hour proofing, but no oven spring. I get that rye breads are supposed to be dense, especially the 100% rye Scandinavian style that I would've wanted for gravlax, but I was trying to go for a mix of both worlds and get a good rye taste while still getting good oven rise and shape. Has anyone here worked with rye more to determine how I could've achieved this? Maybe a bit less hydration?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a pair of multi-grain sandwich loaves.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I made the FWSY Pain au Bacon. It’s delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Technically off-topic but can I bake something when I only have a bag of wheat flower and basic spices? (And water of course.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Technically off-topic but can I bake something when I only have a bag of wheat flower and basic spices? (And water of course.)

If you're willking to wait a couple weeks for your starter to come to life then yes, you can make normal bread.

You can make matzoh and share in the suffering of the jews if all you really have is flour water and salt.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

toplitzin posted:

if all you really have is flour water and salt.

OK why the heck would I lie about that?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK why the heck would I lie about that?

I mean, you can also make biscuits if you have baking powder/soda, and beer bread if there's beer in the fridge.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-beer-bread-recipe

There's also short starter breads available:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-american-salt-rising-bread-recipe

or soda bread
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/irish-soda-bread-recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/real-irish-soda-bread-recipe.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Eggs can provide some leavening too, so don't forget about those.

I think we're just getting after you for not just saying that you don't have yeast or baking powder/soda.

I mean, if you are in a campground and all you brought was flour, water, and salt, then yes, you were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can make flatbread in a frying pan. Just water, salt and flour, maybe some spices if you want to.
Edit: Make hardtack if you hate yourself.