Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The setting was fine but the actual cards were full of parasitic mechanics and ranged in quality from "Worse than literally not having a card in your deck at all." to "Hilariously broken beyond belief."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Toshimo posted:

Reminds me of when Magic: The Gathering kept getting feedback that people were down with a Japanese setting. And they got one and it was rad as all hell. But the players all hated it because what they really wanted was an anime setting. So, it sold like poo poo and the setting got shoved to last in line to ever revisit.

That setting was trash for more reasons than a focus on folklore.

The one that still makes me sad is the general plan to never visit the Lorwyn/Mirrordin block again. That setting was awesome. Fairies and hobbits and terror in the woods and no humans at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

That setting was trash for more reasons than a focus on folklore.

can I ask for an elaboration on this? I'm only very shallowly into MTG so I'd like to hear your take

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i thought kamigawa was neat

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Reminds me of when Magic: The Gathering kept getting feedback that people were down with a Japanese setting. And they got one and it was rad as all hell. But the players all hated it because what they really wanted was an anime setting. So, it sold like poo poo and the setting got shoved to last in line to ever revisit.
This is wrong. It sold like poo poo because Mirrodin was still in standard at the time and it was the intentionally powered down compared to the mess that was Mirrodin. Same way that Ixilan suffered for the sins of Kaladesh.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is wrong. It sold like poo poo because Mirrodin was still in standard at the time and it was the intentionally powered down compared to the mess that was Mirrodin. Same way that Ixilan suffered for the sins of Kaladesh.

I'm pretty sure that Mark Rosewater has said the setting was a big factor and is why they will never do another Kamigawa set even with different mechanics.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nope

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Excellent username/post combo, but as MaRo is quick to remind us at every opportunity, the majority of Magic sales is to casuals playing at home on the kitchen table with their homies, not tournament players. Those players get turned on/off by setting/design/aesthetics much more than competitive players ever will.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They may very well be true but I'd take MaRo's statements on stuff like this with a grain of salt. He's not exactly impartial. I feel like the guy who is basically a public face of the company would be more likely to say "well we designed this cool setting but it wasn't as popular as we would have hoped" rather than "the cards sucked rear end lol"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Glagha posted:

They may very well be true but I'd take MaRo's statements on stuff like this with a grain of salt. He's not exactly impartial. I feel like the guy who is basically a public face of the company would be more likely to say "well we designed this cool setting but it wasn't as popular as we would have hoped" rather than "the cards sucked rear end lol"

He hasn't been evasive about the card quality. A stated design goal was to make weaker cards that block. He's not shy about that. He's also been candid about how a number of mechanics in the block fell flat. But, he's also been clear that negative feedback about the setting was deafening.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Glagha posted:

He is more likely to be evasive about recent sets, but for stuff in the past he can be a harsh critic. Especially when he was responsible since he doesn't like to throw people under the bus.

Kamigawa's setting problems are something he has backed up repeatedly with anecdotes about how it affected design for later sets. In Amonkhet they deliberately avoided a deep dive into obscure Egyptian culture because they didn't want to deviate from audience expectations about mummies and pyramids.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Kamigawa was dialed down but it was also designed to be self-contained and has a lot of standalone mechanics that the game has never revisited, as far as I remember. It means there's not much synergy between cards in that bloc and anything else Modern-legal so you don't see a lot of them in play.

You could also examine how it kind of feeds into some tabletop stereotypes about an inscrutable, inaccessible land with special "Eastern" magic (Arcane spells) with its mechanics, but overall it's not bad just hamstrung by a lot of factors.

Also

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

So regarding my posts in Cthulhu Thread, I know Tenkar sucks a bunch of cocks, but his article actually provides context and the link to the Podcast with Matt Dawkins defending his Pedo VtM Pregen and mentioning his games frequently touch on pedophilia: https://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/06/what-hell-is-going-on-with-new-vampire.html

There's apparently "context" and it got scrubbed later, but I know I've read Dawkins brag that he puts pedophilia storylines in even his convention games, and so I'm like

Super annoyed he's working with Chaosium now.

Wow this is gross. Remember when the devs were trying to downplay how that sample PC was totally not a coded pedophile?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 26, 2019

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wow this is gross. Remember when the devs were trying to downplay how that sample PC was totally not a coded pedophile?

Yeah apparently said PC is not in the rules now or something, but I wish I remembered less about the VtM5 launch. I was in the former-OPP rabblerouser crowd at the time so I got the second-by-second playback, with an added side of guilting people.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toshimo posted:

Excellent username/post combo, but as MaRo is quick to remind us at every opportunity, the majority of Magic sales is to casuals playing at home on the kitchen table with their homies, not tournament players. Those players get turned on/off by setting/design/aesthetics much more than competitive players ever will.

Even if you are playing kitchen table magic, a bunch of the stuff from Kamigawa is unfun. Ninjitsu is cool and clunky, but the rest are just plain bad. Combine with the power reduction (the same thing that hurt Ixalan as mentioned above, but was even more famous with Masques following Urza) and you have something that won't sell.

But I'm also someone who likes the aesthetics of both Kamigawa and Lorwyn, so I'm a bit biased. I do think there's zero chance of Kamigawa showing up again for the same reason as Ixalan (poor sales and a unique setting)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yeah apparently said PC is not in the rules now or something, but I wish I remembered less about the VtM5 launch. I was in the former-OPP rabblerouser crowd at the time so I got the second-by-second playback, with an added side of guilting people.

Dawkins was also the guy who created the "Dude what shoots eggs out his dick and if you eat the eggs you also shoot eggs out your dick until you tear your dick off." in that one Beast supplement, which was apparently something that was rejected from a Cthulu Mythos book... so hearing he works for Chaosium now makes a whole lot of sense.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Kurieg posted:

Dawkins was also the guy who created the "Dude what shoots eggs out his dick and if you eat the eggs you also shoot eggs out your dick until you tear your dick off." in that one Beast supplement, which was apparently something that was rejected from a Cthulu Mythos book... so hearing he works for Chaosium now makes a whole lot of sense.

Jengus Christler.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sailor Viy posted:

I'm pretty sure that Mark Rosewater has said the setting was a big factor and is why they will never do another Kamigawa set even with different mechanics.
Man primarily responsible for mechanics blames flavor for failures caused by terrible mechanics isn't exactly something I'm gonna trust.

Toshimo posted:

Not big tournaments but just meeting up to play at FNM or at your local game store, there was an enormous player die off because of how stagnant everyone's deck became due to how hilariously badly designed Mirrodin was. It was virtually a retread of Urza Block which nearly got MaRo fired, for how poorly he designed it. Then it was followed by the deliberately weak Mercadia which also saw players upset with how bad it was. WotC's design team loving up by making an overpowered homogenizing set, then following it with a deliberately weak set that kills player engagement is a repeated pattern of behavior.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I ask for an elaboration on this? I'm only very shallowly into MTG so I'd like to hear your take

I wasn't really active at the time but from what I gather it introduced a lot of mechanics that were too insular (like Arcane), and I think one of the smaller mistakes was that some of the other mechanics introduced in the set were called things like Bushido and Ninjitsu, which felt doomed to not becoming evergreen mechanics by dint of their Japan-specific language. (similar to if the Roman Mythology themed Theros block had has mechanics called Monstrum and Ornaverunt Fanum instead of Monstrosity and Bestow). Plus while some of the art was amazing, some of the layout work was horrible. There's these "flip cards" that have a creature on the top and can be rotated 180 degrees to become the creature at the bottom and there was just no room for the art to look good or like anything (check out Budoka Gardener for an example). Anyway, I'm not a competition player, I just make tribal commander decks, so I'm probably a lot closer to that "uninformed kitchen table magic buyer" that was referenced above.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You can add Kaladesh into Amonkhet into Ixalan as another data point of 'broken artifact set into weak parasitic set', but Amonkhet was fine if relatively uninspired mechanically (a sideways graveyard-cycle set with some No Untap mechanics), compared to Ix that had the shame of having it's one good mechanic stolen (monarch) and a really dumb proof-of-concept (can a 80% color pair supporting set work?).

One of the real lessons learned from was to go to the Big Block Every Quarter model, even more so than the return and now-evergreen nature of colored artifacts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everything Jef said was right.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i choose to believe nerds were mad something wasn't anime enough

Serf
May 5, 2011

i got into magic around the time kamigawa came out and i still have a soft spot for it. the cards were, in retrospect, not great, but the art and aesthetics owned. however i'm a total casual so at the time i was happy to show up for fnm, draft and go home with cool-looking cards to play with against people in my class

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
exactly kamigawa was all ninja and samurai and poo poo they didn't "go too deep" or whatever

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Serf posted:

i got into magic around the time kamigawa came out and i still have a soft spot for it. the cards were, in retrospect, not great, but the art and aesthetics owned. however i'm a total casual so at the time i was happy to show up for fnm, draft and go home with cool-looking cards to play with against people in my class

One of the things that bothers me about Kamigawa's art style is that maybe two of the Kitsunes look sort of like kitsunes, but most look like someone had the vague idea of what a fox looks like described to them once in a dream, and some of them look like alien kangaroos.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

i choose to believe nerds were mad something wasn't anime enough
Kamigawa was anime as gently caress and anyone telling you otherwise is delusional.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I hate Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker with my life. It doesnot leave the cards alone.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

All that aside, my own personal reason for disliking Kamigawa was the introduction of the worst card ever for flow of play at a Commander Table, Umezawa's Jitte. There is nothing more boring than 3 players in a row Jitte'ing in response to other people Jitte'ing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

theironjef posted:

All that aside, my own personal reason for disliking Kamigawa was the introduction of the worst card ever for flow of play at a Commander Table, Umezawa's Jitte. There is nothing more boring than 3 players in a row Jitte'ing in response to other people Jitte'ing.

You keep writing Jitte when you really mean Top.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Toshimo posted:

You keep writing Jitte when you really mean Top.

Aw poo poo you're right. Sensei's Divining Top. Haven't played in a while.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Top is an affront to all that is good in this world.

Also the argument that magic fans only want generic medieval fantasy is pretty funny, given that the most popular sets ever are ones set in a big weird version of Prague (Ravnica), Gothic novel crossover-land (Innistrad), and literally an MMO the setting (Zendikar).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't understand why you keep doubling down to toss away all evidence and throw down against invented arguments that nobody made.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Also the argument that magic fans only want generic medieval fantasy is pretty funny, given that the most popular sets ever are ones set in a big weird version of Prague (Ravnica), Gothic novel crossover-land (Innistrad), and literally an MMO the setting (Zendikar).

Zendikar has its own versions of the Lovecraftian Great Old Ones, so it was guaranteed to be a perennial success.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 26, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Creatures with double digit power and toughness, hell yeah, now we're talking

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I don't understand why you keep doubling down to toss away all evidence and throw down against invented arguments that nobody made.
Sorry your argument here is

Toshimo posted:

You claim that Kamigawa was sunk by not being anime enough for some reason, when it was phenomenally anime. Which flies in the face of it quite obviously dying because it had very weak mechanics and came right after a set with very strong very poor designed mechanics. Then your counter was claiming that casual players made up the majority of magic players, which is true, but seem to imply by that statement that only heavily invested pros could see how much stronger Mirrodin was than Kamigawa. Which is absurd, even someone with the basest knowledge of magic mechanics could see the huge step down in power. So unless by casual you mean elementary school kids who just make up the rules as they go I don't see how is supports your argument.

Add onto this that it's an often repeated mistake by MtG design to blame poor performance on flavor when the actual problem is bad mechanical design.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, you can make the same argument for Forgotten Realms and yet it sells like hot cakes. Golarion, too.

People buy generic poo poo.

Golarion differentiates itself a little by being gonzo genre-blending generic rather than all-high-fantasy generic, which puts it in a relatively small niche with Mystara, Eberron, and Spelljammer, all of which Wizards has barely touched for a long time.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Sorry your argument here is
You claim that Kamigawa was sunk by not being anime enough for some reason, when it was phenomenally anime. Which flies in the face of it quite obviously dying because it had very weak mechanics and came right after a set with very strong very poor designed mechanics. Then your counter was claiming that casual players made up the majority of magic players, which is true, but seem to imply by that statement that only heavily invested pros could see how much stronger Mirrodin was than Kamigawa. Which is absurd, even someone with the basest knowledge of magic mechanics could see the huge step down in power. So unless by casual you mean elementary school kids who just make up the rules as they go I don't see how is supports your argument.

Add onto this that it's an often repeated mistake by MtG design to blame poor performance on flavor when the actual problem is bad mechanical design.

Everyone agrees Kamigawa had bad mechanical design.

MaRo's argument is that they don't return to it with better mechanical design because the flavor is also disliked by all the metrics they have.

The idea that he wants to blame other people for his team's failure in Kamigawa doesn't hold up because neither he nor anyone else is saying Kamigawa was well-designed.

While I don't have access to WOTC's internal data, I have been a WPN professional for over a decade, and while Kamigawa has supporters, his statement that its flavor is not wildly popular compared to its contemporaries matches my personal experience.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ultiville posted:

The idea that he wants to blame other people for his team's failure in Kamigawa doesn't hold up because neither he nor anyone else is saying Kamigawa was well-designed
See I don't think they're trying to blame other people for his team's failure in Kamigawa, but rather his team's failure in Mirrodin. Mirrodin is a popular and important part of their brand that they want to keep going back to for material. However its first block was objectively horribly designed and murdered standard dead. So something else needs to be blamed for the player die off. Which personally attribute to Mirrodin because even the most boring and offensively bad flavor around hasn't caused magic sets to become unpopular, it has always been mechanical issues that cause player drop offs. Alara has boring as poo poo and there is no interest going back there because no one cared for it. However it didn't cause a massive drop in people playing, because the mechanics were mostly fine.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.

Roadie posted:

Golarion differentiates itself a little by being gonzo genre-blending generic rather than all-high-fantasy generic, which puts it in a relatively small niche with Mystara, Eberron, and Spelljammer, all of which Wizards has barely touched for a long time.

Eh, no, I think dwarf74 is completely right to call Golarion generic. I've read the Golarion sourcebooks, and I wouldn't say it's any more "gonzo" or "genre-blending" than, say, the Forgotten Realms. Sure, there are a few places that have something about them that's mildly unique or interesting, and there are some aspects of the setting that make it slightly different from other fantasy settings (the backstory about the disappearance of Aroden, for example), but that's true of pretty much every fantasy setting that's had any significant level of development; settings like the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk have some interesting locales or distinctive backstory elements too, and some locations that feature different elements from the typical medieval-European fantasy. I don't really see Golarion as being any more interesting or innovative than those settings are.

Granted, I think that genericness was mostly by design, since a big point of the original pitch for Pathfinder was that DMs could still use all their 3.XE material with it, so it couldn't deviate too far from standard 3E trappings and assumptions. (Heck, with Ustalav Paizo even shoehorned in a place for the DM to adapt Ravenloft adventures.) But yeah, as far as how much the setting pushes against generic fantasy trappings, I'd put Golarion at about the same level as the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. There's really nothing all that special about it.

e: For clarification, to avoid hyperbole, when I say I've "read the Golarion sourcebooks", I don't of course mean that I've actually read cover-to-cover every single Pathfinder Chronicles sourcebook Paizo has released. I have, however, read the books that give an overview of the setting (the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer, Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, and Inner Sea World Guide), and I've read many, though not all, of the books focusing on specific nations or regions. I can't claim to be an expert on Golarion and couldn't list every nation in the world off the top of my head, but I know enough about it to form an educated opinion.

Jerik fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 26, 2019

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

theironjef posted:

I wasn't really active at the time but from what I gather it introduced a lot of mechanics that were too insular (like Arcane), and I think one of the smaller mistakes was that some of the other mechanics introduced in the set were called things like Bushido and Ninjitsu, which felt doomed to not becoming evergreen mechanics by dint of their Japan-specific language. (similar to if the Roman Mythology themed Theros block had has mechanics called Monstrum and Ornaverunt Fanum instead of Monstrosity and Bestow). Plus while some of the art was amazing, some of the layout work was horrible. There's these "flip cards" that have a creature on the top and can be rotated 180 degrees to become the creature at the bottom and there was just no room for the art to look good or like anything (check out Budoka Gardener for an example). Anyway, I'm not a competition player, I just make tribal commander decks, so I'm probably a lot closer to that "uninformed kitchen table magic buyer" that was referenced above.

To go into a bit more detail: Kamigawa introduced three major keywords- Splice, Bushido, and Soulshift. The middle expansion added a fourth, Ninjutsu. Splice could only be used with spells with the secondary type Arcane, which was only used on cards from this block. Soulshift required creatures with the type Spirit, which was very rare outside this block. Bushido and Ninjutsu were technically type-agnostic but all creatures that had these abilities had the creature type Samurai and Ninja respectively, which were exclusive to this block. Along the same lines, the non-human creature types included goblins and demons, which are evergreen types, but also a lot of things like foxes, snakes, and moonfolk, which again did not appear outside the block. As a result very little was usable outside the block for basically anything that cared about tribal, which was particularly notable because the block that rotated out of standard because of Kamigawa was Onslaught, which was the first block to really make tribal into a main design pillar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

It's not so much that they want generic medieval fantasy, it's that they want pop culture tropes instead of original settings. The general trend with the newer sets is to focus on stuff that people will instantly recognise (pirates! vampires! greek gods! Cthulhu!) culminating in the latest set where they have cards based on fuckin' Goldilocks and the Billy Goats Gruff.

Is that actually what Magic players want? I'd prefer to think not, since I loved Kamigawa, but at the end of the day WotC has years of data being analysed by marketing professionals, so they problem know better than me.