Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Also am I going soft or is Neelix getting far more tolerable in the second half of Voyager? I guess it helps there are far less Neelix-centric episodes and without Kes he cannot pull his annoying lovely boyfriend routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Worf killed another child by mistake as a kid, so you would think he'd be extra protective of humans in general or children or something.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ritznit posted:

Also am I going soft or is Neelix getting far more tolerable in the second half of Voyager? I guess it helps there are far less Neelix-centric episodes and without Kes he cannot pull his annoying lovely boyfriend routine.

That is the Stockholm Syndrome talking.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Worf killed another child by mistake as a kid, so you would think he'd be extra protective of humans in general or children or something.

Worf acting extremely reserved and noble and stoic while quietly being all kinds of hosed up feels more realistic, somehow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Worf acting extremely reserved and noble and stoic while quietly being all kinds of hosed up feels more realistic, somehow.

He's Russian

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

What do you mean he's Russian.

Also almost every episode in the last few seasons of Voyager is either Seven centric or The Doctor centric.

I'd have been pissed if I were the other actors.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm Ross being completely unimpressed by Data's wig reveal.

Also, is Data tucked or untucked?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Preston Waters posted:

What do you mean he's Russian.

Also almost every episode in the last few seasons of Voyager is either Seven centric or The Doctor centric.

I'd have been pissed if I were the other actors.

He was raised in Minsk, the capital of Belarus (former? does Belarus still exist? who knows) by human parents native to Minsk for the vast majority of his early life (he was pretty much a toddler when the Khitomer massacre happened) to adulthood.

Worf is a slav.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

He was raised in Minsk, the capital of Belarus (former? does Belarus still exist? who knows) by human parents native to Minsk for the vast majority of his early life (he was pretty much a toddler when the Khitomer massacre happened) to adulthood.

Worf is a slav.

Star fleet uniforms are just future track suits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though I do get the impression that there are Klingon stoics like Worf, just that most Klingons are just happy to be the space frat vikings.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Worf is a slav.

Word, there's an episode where Worf gets homesick drunk and just starts moaning, "Miiiiiiiiiiiiiinsk......MIIIIIIIIIIIIIINSK..."

I guess WWIII irritated all the squatting out of Slavic culture though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

mycomancy posted:

Word, there's an episode where Worf gets homesick drunk and just starts moaning, "Miiiiiiiiiiiiiinsk......MIIIIIIIIIIIIIINSK..."

I guess WWIII irritated all the squatting out of Slavic culture though.

More likely Klingons just lack the specific joints necessary to slav squat.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gutcruncher posted:

More likely Klingons just lack the specific joints necessary to slav squat.

Belarusian:

Worf: :hmmyes: "Ah, a warrior's stance!"

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

One thing that I really like about the timelines dumb game is that each time you level a character up, for some characters, you absorb all their gear and then re-build it at a higher star ranking. Which requires the lower level stuff.

So by the time you get say, Picard to level 50 he's rockin' a saddle he's made out of roughly 6 dozen purple dresses and chef sisko is wearing a hat made from a score of blue shirts. Both of them have random communicators and self-sealing stem-bolts falling out of every seam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love that crafting Poetry requires a Writing PADD and Alcohol.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And every 10 levels, you have to mix drinks for Tourist Jadzia or she refuses to get any better at her job.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would love to see a spinoff series of teenage Worf getting up to dishonorabilities in Minsk.

spinov

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

davidspackage posted:

I would love to see a spinoff series of teenage Worf getting up to dishonorabilities in Minsk.

spinov

Star Trek: Minsk

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Qapla', Qapla': a young Klingon's strange, honorable journey from Khitomer to Minsk

e: obviously it should be Rozhenko, Rozhenko

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 26, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you skip clip shows how will you learn about how to cure that disease Riker gets and how to cure it.

1) Make him nostalgic - doesn't work
2) Make him horny - makes it worse
3) Make him pissed off - Treatment starting to show promise
4) Make him remember all the times he got his rear end beat - Cured

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

5) every time he sits on a chair: oh god its airborne somehow

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Worf is a slav.

so that's why all that poo poo is on his forehead

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Worf is a slav.

Belarus didn't really exist when TNG first went in the air. It was part of the Soviet Union, so Worf was written as Russian.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Was worf always intended to be Russian or was his whole adoption backstory added during the shows run? He starts the show just kinda growling so... it could go either way?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gutcruncher posted:

Was worf always intended to be Russian or was his whole adoption backstory added during the shows run? He starts the show just kinda growling so... it could go either way?

Worf wasn't intended to be a major character originally. I don't think he had that much of a backstory

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
He is part of a funny tradition of background or one off aliens becoming regulars and fan favorites. Same went for Damar and Martok.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Trast posted:

He is part of a funny tradition of background or one off aliens becoming regulars and fan favorites. Same went for Damar and Martok.

Yet they keep having humans in these shows, smh.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Gutcruncher posted:

Pretty sure Worf's original character in the first season or so was literally just 'klingon in starfleet', they didn't really have him talk much about his background, particularly about being raised by human adopted parents or being raised on Earth until he became a bigger character and got more fleshed out. It's interesting, going back and watching the really early episodes, but you'd think he'd (somehow?) gone straight from the Klingon homeworld to Starfleet Academy for the way he acts, but at the same time, it's still totally in-line with his being a huge Klingaboo who refuses to acknowledge the human influence on his upbringing, just like, say, a Nisei who's all about bushido and martial arts and tea ceremony, but refuses to admit he grew up in, like, Vancouver, or Sacramento, or whatever, and all his friends used to call him 'Toshie', but now it's 'MY NAME IS TOSHIRO'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Currently watching Battlestar Galactica, this is my 4th time watching the entire series, but the first for my wife. We previously watched all of Star Trek the Next Generation. It has been interesting to see Ronald D. Moore apply what he learned from TNG over to BSG. Some of the episodes for BSG are just copied over from TNG episodes even. Like tonight we watched the one with the virus that could wipe out all Cylons, and it's obvious Moore copypasted the TNG script about this very thing with the Borg and changed some names.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Pretty sure Worf's original character in the first season or so was literally just 'klingon in starfleet', they didn't really have him talk much about his background, particularly about being raised by human adopted parents or being raised on Earth until he became a bigger character and got more fleshed out. It's interesting, going back and watching the really early episodes, but you'd think he'd (somehow?) gone straight from the Klingon homeworld to Starfleet Academy for the way he acts, but at the same time, it's still totally in-line with his being a huge Klingaboo who refuses to acknowledge the human influence on his upbringing, just like, say, a Nisei who's all about bushido and martial arts and tea ceremony, but refuses to admit he grew up in, like, Vancouver, or Sacramento, or whatever, and all his friends used to call him 'Toshie', but now it's 'MY NAME IS TOSHIRO'.

Yeah, his whole arc goes pretty well all things considered, with its conclusion in DS9 realising he's got a pretty inaccurate picture of what Klingon society actually is, though to be fair a lot of Klingons are in pretty hard denial about that too. And that it runs pretty deep between him and Kurn, to the point where Kurn actually says he'd wished they'd been raised together- whether on Earth or Qu'o'nos- because the culture gap between them is so wide despite having a lot in common.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO after going through DS9 recently again, Worf comes off as a dickhead on that show much more than on TNG. Especially when other Klingons are around.

When Ezri shows up he just glowers at her for like 8 straight episodes. He also keeps butting heads with Odo constantly. Then there’s the whole Risa episode...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Currently watching Battlestar Galactica, this is my 4th time watching the entire series, but the first for my wife. We previously watched all of Star Trek the Next Generation. It has been interesting to see Ronald D. Moore apply what he learned from TNG over to BSG. Some of the episodes for BSG are just copied over from TNG episodes even. Like tonight we watched the one with the virus that could wipe out all Cylons, and it's obvious Moore copypasted the TNG script about this very thing with the Borg and changed some names.

Actually you're way off in the TNG regard. A lot of BSG is just "gently caress you Berman, this is how I would've done ST:Voyager".

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I just got done watching Voyager, so that sounds like I should finally give Battlestar Galactica a try ...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ritznit posted:

I just got done watching Voyager, so that sounds like I should finally give Battlestar Galactica a try ...

BSG is really good. There is the Two-part miniseries, and one episode. Nothing more.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Blistex posted:

BSG is really good. There is the Two-part miniseries, and one episode. Nothing more.

Right, isn't there a point where the show goes to poo poo? So, what should I watch?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ritznit posted:

Right, isn't there a point where the show goes to poo poo? So, what should I watch?

It's been so long, but they start losing the point and relying on endless "drama" and stupid twists some time in season 3 I think. It's still worth a watch, but you reach a point with diminishing returns, then you realize that you're watching out of habit or momentum.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ritznit posted:

lexx. free your mind.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

*has EMH fantasies in real life*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Whose bright idea was it to make Seven and Chakotay a romantic thing in the like last 10 episodes of Voyager? Seriously, what the gently caress?