Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jose posted:

So uh what are you supposed to do if you have bad shivers? I had 7 including items and clothing and still had to savescum it because I thought no other way would progress

A lot of sidequests give hidden modifiers to that check, although completion of at least some of those also hinges on skill checks. So, savescum or keep enough skill points in reserve to repeatedly unlock the Shivers skill check.

That's actually the main issue I have with the game's system as is, if you do not want to savescum banking skill points for situations like this and re-trying one at a time is kinda encouraged by the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had +4 on it as well.as 7 shivers and it was a 28% chance of something lol

I'm in the proper end game now and still never managed to get into the secret area in the place you start or whoever else had access to the trash or a tape to do karaoke

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think you have to spend all your points in character creation. I sorta want to play a total incompetent guy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What was everyone's first game over? Mine was in the bookstore and tried to shout up the chimney and failed the 83% chance roll, lost 1 morale and had the game end

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think you have to spend all your points in character creation. I sorta want to play a total incompetent guy.
I'm on day 4 with my 1/1/1/1. You still have so succeed at something, and that's when it starts to suck.

Technically, you can abandon some quests because you can't resolve them, but then you'll need to spend the money you're low on on books just to pass the time.

Oh, and here's a day 1 thing: you can irreversibly piss off Cuno forever, fail to spot the door to his shack, fail to conceptualise racism, fail to beat up the racist. Good luck getting to the harbour!

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 26, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Christ I've been playing less than an hour and there's been more good dialogue than most games have in their entirety.

It's made me realise that my eyes kept glazing over during Pillars of Eternity because the writing was dull, not because my attention span has been irreversibly destroyed by alcohol.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jose posted:

What was everyone's first game over? Mine was in the bookstore and tried to shout up the chimney and failed the 83% chance roll, lost 1 morale and had the game end

I died turning on the lights immediately after looking in the mirror when I started my first game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jose posted:

Died doing what I loved doing. Dashing from paying the bill at the hostel while doing a 180 in the air flipping double birds only to crash into a pinball machine.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jose posted:

Digging into the corpse was too much for my poor heart.
Starting with Endurance 2 and using medicine to heal from a very uncomfortable chair did not help

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jose posted:

puked myself to death

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jose posted:

Read a book so boring I took physical damage.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

PATCH NOTES: https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1667947676633775166

I imagine this covers all patches from release to date:

Al! posted:

Fixed Kim badmouthing issue

yeah, heh, who’d want to do that to Kim??

I look forward to their typo fixing pass, but a lot of good fixes in there

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Shoehead posted:

My favorite part of my entire play through was sitting on a swing with Kim waiting for the tide and personally not realising who's car we were looking at until Harry read the number on the side. I was so preoccupied with the badge and the gun, and how important they are for a policeman that I never thought to wonder how we got to the Hostel on day 1. And even then when I realised it was our car I immediatly thought "oh no someone must have stolen... oh no it was me!!! I did this too"

And then to see Harry have almost my exact reaction was funny as hell.

Same. I was too thick to get that until Kim pointed out the number on the side. Still an amazing moment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to admit, as soon as I passed the visual calculus check on the fence behind the Whirling I knew what had happened.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wonder how much effort compared to the rest of the game the torch took since it follows the mouse once equipped

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Are there any good pants in the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SelenicMartian posted:

Not really. I wore some which had a bonus to a thought I had already rejected because they were better than having a penalty to one of my high skills. I think there's like one more pair in the game which are too expensive or something.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, the ones you wake up in at the start of the game leave a little to be desired.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Randler posted:

A lot of sidequests give hidden modifiers to that check, although completion of at least some of those also hinges on skill checks. So, savescum or keep enough skill points in reserve to repeatedly unlock the Shivers skill check.

That's actually the main issue I have with the game's system as is, if you do not want to savescum banking skill points for situations like this and re-trying one at a time is kinda encouraged by the mechanics.
Is it technically possible to get stuck at that Shivers check? Eventually you'd run out of XP sources to give yourself more Shivers points, right?

Also I dunno if it's a bug, but completing the sidequests in that area gave me modifiers for the check, but didn't reopen it. Not sure if that's intended.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SelenicMartian posted:

You can buy some from Cuno

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

You can buy some from Cuno
Not if you piss him off so hard he doesn't talk to you at all!

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, the ones you wake up in at the start of the game leave a little to be desired.
I have been running around in a coat over the underpants for four days now.
The only reason to put on pants is to check the pockets.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah Cuno's tracksuit pants and a pair of +1 Logic slacks you can find are pretty much the only worthwhile pants

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the +1 reaction speed pants are pretty good if you have lovely MOT

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Warning: Do not ask the machine about the number of possible head-body combinations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Broken Cog posted:

Warning: Do not ask the machine about the number of possible head-body combinations.

No, you should definitely do this.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone roll a 3/3/3/3 custom character? Did you regret it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pmchem posted:

Anyone roll a 3/3/3/3 custom character? Did you regret it?

That's probably the strongest character you can do, but you'll miss out on some of the funnier thought interactions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is it actually bad to go all out in just 1 thing or is that just the descriptions? Seeing how 10+ visual conception or whatever it is could go wrong would be great

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Finished first playthrough as a 4/2/2/4, took 28 hours, game owns. Next time I think I need to be a supernatural supercop, feel like I'm missing a whole side of the game there.

Is there any resolution to the confrontation with the mercs that doesn't result in multiple deaths?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jose posted:

Is it actually bad to go all out in just 1 thing or is that just the descriptions? Seeing how 10+ visual conception or whatever it is could go wrong would be great

I have never actually been forced to do anything by having a high skill, but some of the high skill thoughts will occasionally recommend things that are definitely not the right course of action.

Also, I've been doing some thinking about the timeline and particularly how it relates to the 'ex-something' (not spoiling that, it's like the second line of the entire game). So she left Harry 6 years ago, which is to say when Harry was 38. He's been a cop for 18 years, and only became a cop because she talked him into it. That is to say Harry and Dora must have been together for a minimum of 12 loving years, and that's assuming he changed careers immediately after he started dating her which is probably not the case. I am honestly not that surprised it's taking him years to get over her; when they broke up the two of them had been together for at least 2/3 of his entire adult life. He's handling it in a really bad and unhealthy way but ending a relationship with someone you lived with for over a decade is definitely not the same as just another breakup.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jose posted:

Visual calculus doesn't get used a whole lot but where it does get used it's super cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Nothing ever forces you to do anything but really high skill checks can feed you wrong information or recommend the wrong actions because they're too dominant. One of those "when all you have is a hammer" sorts of things.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I've seen high level skills give penalties to skill checks because they're dicks, too. Those conversations are always funny though so its fine :v:

Mild skill spoiler example? Logic in particular gets pissy if you have to solve or do something it deems unworthy of your intellect

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

tudabee posted:

I've seen high level skills give penalties to skill checks because they're dicks, too. Those conversations are always funny though so its fine :v:

Mild skill spoiler example? Logic in particular gets pissy if you have to solve or do something it deems unworthy of your intellect

Or endurance trying to turn you fascist, courtesy of the lower intestine (yknow, the part of the body that is full of poo poo)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i rather liked how the political positions lined up with your psyche. ultralib and fascist are obvious matches but centrism being the bleeding heart (but status quo loving and craven) position and tankie communism being the dramatic high minded sociopathic stances was unorthodox but imo appropriate

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so now I'm the proud owner of matching +biker jackets that say 'gently caress the World' and 'Pissfart' on them, how do I get Kim to wear one?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Looks like a got a bug where i cant formulate a theory about the uh hole because it wont recognize i talked to joyce and the lorry driver about the pale. Also looks like its not fixed by the patch...

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Looks like a got a bug where i cant formulate a theory about the uh hole because it wont recognize i talked to joyce and the lorry driver about the pale. Also looks like its not fixed by the patch...

I talked to her about it again when this happened and it fixed it. (You might have to wait till after Kim goes to bed for the option to show up in her dialog)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 27, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neurosis posted:

BERSERKER

Goddamn someone finally said it! “My love for you is like truck BERSERKER!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to admit, as soon as I passed the visual calculus check on the fence behind the Whirling I knew what had happened.

Same, and I felt so drat sorry for dude as he was discovering what happened. Ugh.