Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Groogy posted:

Many do not know this but that is not at all what they do.
You must misinterpret that they only do half of their damage from being in the backrow.

Hey how about making the game you work on not so loving opaque then groogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Groogy posted:

Ah you're right, I skipped over that part of the code.

FFS!!!!!!!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does knowing the nitty gritty about artillery sharing pips or whatever actually affect the way you play though? The rule of thumb I picked up from the thread that pre miltech 13 artillery is only really good for sieges and that it starts getting really nasty at miltech 18 has been all I’ve ever known for 2000+ hours of play and it’s worked fine for me. I’m not sure how knowing that it makes my infantry better changes anything. Paradox combat in general has always seemed needlessly complex to me and usually you can just win by having a competent general, competitive tech level, bringing more guys than the enemy, and not attacking into mountains. Understanding the arcane rules behind the dice rolls seems about as practically useful as understanding the voodoo astrology behind PUs

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Attacking into mountains is only -2 to fire and shock so if your general has 2 more pips in those than the enemy it just cancels out, if I understand it correctly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah this is basically how I feel about it. Cavalry are supposed to be for flanking but they're actually extremely bad at it beyond the first few days of combat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I booted up the game for the first time in several months and got to see the new launcher. Too bad it doesn't start the game. Clicking play does absolutely nothing and I had to enter the steam folder and start the game manually. :sigh:

Turns out I had gotten a bit rusty and a war ended up taking twice as long as it should have because I forgot that you're not supposed to invade and siege the main target of the war and instead set up to focus and crush their allies first. Oh well.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am confused. Do the artillery give half their defensive pips to the unit in front or do they not? I seem to remember there was a time when it did.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Hryme posted:

I am confused. Do the artillery give half their defensive pips to the unit in front or do they not? I seem to remember there was a time when it did.

Yes, it does

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Been thinking of a strategy as a tiny tiny HRE kingdom to ally as much as possible then delete my army so I can make a decent tiny kingdom wage to better/faster develop and build structures. Is this a good idea to game the game like this or do you think it will backfire?

Just trying to make it so I don’t sit there for 200 years before I finally have 100 ducats to buy a market or whatever.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if you aren't warring you aren't playing "optimally" (remember buildings generally only pay for themselves after several decades) but if your goal is to build up a small tall kingdom asap then sure deleting your army will help! It might even trick the AI into declaring on you and getting stomped by your allies.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Precisely my thought process. I have allied with prince electors and they like me enough to even have a shot at Emperor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve got a good game going as Lübeck but am feeling a bit constrained in terms of diplomatic relations et al by being limited to Duchy rank. The tooltip says only electors in the HRE can be above duchy rank-if I left the empire could I increase my rank? Is there any way for a republic to be an elector? Should I stay as a merchant republic or are there other benefits to monarchies? I’m leading a nice size trade league and control much of coastal N Germany and a bit of the Low Countries, and about to start a long long war for the Baltic with Denmark, Poland, Muscovy etc and thinking of trying to colonize a bit too in Africa or N America ?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally tried out joining in the big HRE war to determine the official faith. What a pain. My side had a clear advantage from the start but it just dragged on and on and on as the Bohemian emprah was dead set on burning the continent to the ground with war exhaustion. The AI didn't peace out anyone until they had been 100% occupied for quite a while. Every. Single. Enemy. +0.25 war exhaustion a month from demanding peace with 80% warscore and the enemy leader has 20 WE and no army or will to fight at all? Nope. Gotta occupy aaaaaall of Russia first before we can end this conflict. Thank god I never play iron man so at that point I could tag switch to Wurtburg-whatever and just make them surrender completely. Never again.

dialhforhero posted:

Precisely my thought process. I have allied with prince electors and they like me enough to even have a shot at Emperor.
I'm sure the emprah being a small and weak state with no army won't tempt France, Poland or anyone else to start chewing up the HRE. :)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Poil posted:

I finally tried out joining in the big HRE war to determine the official faith. What a pain. My side had a clear advantage from the start but it just dragged on and on and on as the Bohemian emprah was dead set on burning the continent to the ground with war exhaustion. The AI didn't peace out anyone until they had been 100% occupied for quite a while. Every. Single. Enemy. +0.25 war exhaustion a month from demanding peace with 80% warscore and the enemy leader has 20 WE and no army or will to fight at all? Nope.

Seems to work out historically then?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

Seems to work out historically then?
I guess so. Other than perhaps the easy and successful campaign towards the Urals.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I just started playing again after a year off.

Is there an updated must have DLC list?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Trip report on not having an army: got annihilated after I was dragged into a war by allies. Then never recuperated and shortly after invaded by rivals and the game ended after about 60 years.

I was very rich and highly developed though!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just started playing again after a year off.

Is there an updated must have DLC list?

I mean there's only been like 1 DLC in that year you took off so, uh...

...none of them

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dev diary is out, I love this fix/change:

quote:

A thing that have annoyed a lot of people is when they've promised land to their fellow ally AI and then when you all come to the peace table he goes like "Nope don't want any, but I'll still hate you for not giving me anything". The AI will now be a lot more agreeable depending on the situation and not feel betrayed when he tells you he literally wants nothing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
AI improvement feels great. Really glad that EU4 takes a year of polish and fixes instead of rushing to add new buttons. This might still be the best strategy game ever and you might argue that parts of it became worse due to updates, which is a shame. Also it looks like they've fixed an age old issue with going back to the menu actually restarting the game.

Too bad they seem to ignore fort issues as well as coalitions. Oh well.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I just want to know when they'll remove that loving Sack of [City name] event that gives you 50 devastation in a province you're trying to take. Or in your own province you just took back from rebels.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Various Meat Products posted:

I just want to know when they'll remove that loving Sack of [City name] event that gives you 50 devastation in a province you're trying to take. Or in your own province you just took back from rebels.

What, nono, that event gives you an option to get more professionalism which means more manpower.

(And if it was your own province, well, those citizens were clearly collaborationists and fifth-columnists.)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ilitarist posted:

AI improvement feels great. Really glad that EU4 takes a year of polish and fixes instead of rushing to add new buttons. This might still be the best strategy game ever and you might argue that parts of it became worse due to updates, which is a shame. Also it looks like they've fixed an age old issue with going back to the menu actually restarting the game.

Too bad they seem to ignore fort issues as well as coalitions. Oh well.

We're not but some things are not equal in how much resources are needed to fix them. I took out a few out of 200 fixed issues, I can't cover all of them. And my hope is to have around 1.5k lines of changelog for the patch (a very ambitious goal)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, I realize you might feel tired when you fix issues in an extremely complex game that is several years old and someone posts "but why don't they fix the UI issue that doesn't tell you what happens in a rare situation". Especially while some games leave player with stuff like this (https://i.imgur.com/mgj639L.png) and are still considered classic.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think Florryworry has reached the endgame state. He keeps doing these crazy runs and doing well with them.

"For Odin ONLY 1k troops allowed "
"Baltic Crusader very-hard NO MERCS + NO LOANS"
"Byzantium, Very Hard No Loans No Mercs No Allies** **(unless offered)"

Clearly that is the sign of a crazy person.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Nah it's quite fun to watch
Or well he might be going crazy, I heard him constantly repeating the siege ticker percentage as if it was a mantra for the Wales achievement....

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

With the new changes in 1.29, I'm feeling like starting a game in the area between Japan and SEA.

What's a good nation to have some fun there? There's a lot more since I last played there, like .. the Philippines are already populated and there's at least 4 new Daimyos in Japan.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Madyas, the Hindu republic of course! Or So, pirate daimyo.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Japan is fun through the whole game. Colonize, conquer, become emperor of China. Malaysia is good too when you just wanna be rich.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ryukyu

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ilitarist posted:

So, pirate daimyo.
How in the world do you get anywhere at all with 4 starting development and everyone else is so much more powerful?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

play bold and well

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Poil posted:

How in the world do you get anywhere at all with 4 starting development and everyone else is so much more powerful?

Same way you do with Ryukyu in a non-diamyo game, early debt to support an oversized military, lucky roll for ruler general, then smashing one of the other countries that aren't allied with an easily adjacent neighbour.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Still waiting on the Dithmarscher Ideas.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Florryworry's stream this week is him doing another Three Mountains run, but without loans, allies, mercs or shogun swarm on very hard. Will be interesting to watch. I've done it once, but it was easy mode if you go the shogun route and pull off the opening moves.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Really looking forward to seeing what is going on in Europe because this seems like a pretty insane war to declare (its for Krain)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a lot of fun with Haixhi into Manchu into Qing. Not hard by any mean, but a lot of fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It appears the missions tab doesn't like it if you form Ireland as a pirate republic.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I’m playing a game as Poland, who I have never played as. My goal is to gain the Achievements for cavalry buffs, abolishing the Sejm, and reaching maximum technology. How easy is it to abolish the Sejm?

I think so far it’s been pretty easy. Was able to consolidate Lithuanian hold over the Baltics, annex all the Prussian lands, and am now supporting Sweden’s independence to weaken Denmark. Aside from the Ottomans and Bohemia, any other big pitfalls to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Don’t feed Lithuania too many provinces or you won’t be able to annex them by decision. Feeding them Livonian Order and Riga is alright but if you add too much more it’ll be too much.