Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

RotJ is the best one you dickweeds. the best.

Randarkman posted:

Everything else in the movie.
oh yeah, that was specific to Luke. but the rest of the movie does make it even weirder that the competent part sticks in people's craws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You know I think bad plot holes go as far back as the original film. When Benny got hit by that sword he just disappeared, what the gently caress, that doesn't happen. Did they cheap out on ketchup and gore effects?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Force ghosts were never real. Luke was always high as gently caress and hallucinating.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s great how Luke just sorta died at the end. Just cuz. It mattered so little and came so out of nowhere that the actor didn’t even realize he was getting killed.

LOL

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

He didn't die tho he just learned force teleport like pal patine

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

You know I think bad plot holes go as far back as the original film. When Benny got hit by that sword he just disappeared, what the gently caress, that doesn't happen. Did they cheap out on ketchup and gore effects?

He was never really there, Vader was just high on shrooms someone put in his suit to gently caress with him.
You can tell by the way he shoves that robe around like "gently caress did i just just drop my towel? Am i naked im public again?"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I honestly think this version would have been better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

He didn't die tho he just learned force teleport like pal patine

No ones ever really gone...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Saint Drogo posted:

beyond the kylo murder idk what anyone was disappointed by.

He’s mischaracterised.

He’d already had his journey thirty five years ago. In that journey we learned that his defining characteristic is that he doesn’t give up on people he’s close to even at the point of death. The idea he’d murder his nephew is bordering on nonsensical, but at a minimum hard to swallow. Harder still is the ‘pre-crime’ aspect of it: he’s willing to murder him for something that hasn’t even done yet. This would be acceptable if Kylo Ren was shown to actually be a galaxy-ending threat, but he isn’t.

This leads to an unfortunate juxtaposition between the original trilogy and the current one, because, simple as the story of the originals are, everyone’s motivations and characters are established and follow a comprehensible plot. The whole thing would have been infinitely better if none of the original cast or story had been used: free from the constraints of the original trilogy, they could have invented something worthwhile. Instead, its relationship to the originals only highlights its myriad flaws.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Are there more star wars movies after this? There's the tv shows, but are there any more movies? Or is this it? Are the game of throne fuckos still doing their poo poo versions?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Torquemada posted:

He’s mischaracterised.

He’d already had his journey thirty five years ago. In that journey we learned that his defining characteristic is that he doesn’t give up on people he’s close to even at the point of death. The idea he’d murder his nephew is bordering on nonsensical, but at a minimum hard to swallow. Harder still is the ‘pre-crime’ aspect of it: he’s willing to murder him for something that hasn’t even done yet. This would be acceptable if Kylo Ren was shown to actually be a galaxy-ending threat, but he isn’t.

This leads to an unfortunate juxtaposition between the original trilogy and the current one, because, simple as the story of the originals are, everyone’s motivations and characters are established and follow a comprehensible plot. The whole thing would have been infinitely better if none of the original cast or story had been used: free from the constraints of the original trilogy, they could have invented something worthwhile. Instead, its relationship to the originals only highlights its myriad flaws.

the sequel films act like return of the jedi never happened and it's super loving weird. from luke's arc to the fact that palpatine is still alive.

remember how everyone was like 'wow rey is no one this is a New Era for The Star Wars' and then they loving made her rey palpatine lmao

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
lol

sheev fucks

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

toggle posted:

Are there more star wars movies after this?

No, Disney have said they're done with star wars after this, they don't want to make any more films for the film franchise they paid an insane amount of money for the rights to. They said releasing so many films was hurting the integrity of the property, so they're going to leave it alone before they run it into the ground.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wait is Rey a transgender Palpatine clone?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

lofi posted:

No, Disney have said they're done with star wars after this, they don't want to make any more films for the film franchise they paid an insane amount of money for the rights to. They said releasing so many films was hurting the integrity of the property, so they're going to leave it alone before they run it into the ground.

Instead they'll concentrate on their new surefire formula of releasing CGI remakes of their animated films

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

toggle posted:

Are there more star wars movies after this? There's the tv shows, but are there any more movies? Or is this it? Are the game of throne fuckos still doing their poo poo versions?

Feige the marvel movies guy is supposed to make one. The Rian Johnson trilogy got shelved after TLJ underperformed. The GOT hacks are still supposed to be making a trilogy but the Feige thing might have replaced it or something. The vibe I get is that Disney‘s plans got a wrench thrown in them by the underperformance of TLJ and the outright bomb of Solo and they’re waiting to see how TROS does before committing so heavily to more movies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

i don't give The Star Wars credit often but Han immediately trying to merc Vader like 0.5 seconds after the doors open in cloud city is the smartest thing I've ever seen anyone do in a fantasy/adventure movie

Later on Harrison Ford would get the chance to do it successfully with that sword guy in Raiders

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Feige the marvel movies guy is supposed to make one. The Rian Johnson trilogy got shelved after TLJ underperformed. The GOT hacks are still supposed to be making a trilogy but the Feige thing might have replaced it or something. The vibe I get is that Disney‘s plans got a wrench thrown in them by the underperformance of TLJ and the outright bomb of Solo and they’re waiting to see how TROS does before committing so heavily to more movies.

Praying real hard episode IX is gonna bomb.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Applewhite posted:

Later on Harrison Ford would get the chance to do it successfully with that sword guy in Raiders

I do give Joss Whedon credit for imbuing Mal Reynolds so strongly with this characteristic

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Torquemada posted:

He’s mischaracterised.

He has ptsd from all the star war

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I've posted this before but the Luke/Kylo history could have totally worked if it had been framed as Luke being poorly suited to deal with responsibility and authority in particular and it would have dovetailed nicely with his reluctance to train Rey. Like when he's trying to redeem his dad, he's the weakest guy in the room when it comes to hierarchical power. Nobody else is depending on him except Vader--like the actual battle plot has nothing to do with Luke's success or failure*

Kylo on the other hand is something Luke is responsible for and people besides Luke and Kylo will bear the consequences of what Luke chooses to do, much the same as training Rey and setting her loose would be. TLJ sorta plays footsies with this idea but the reason it fails to register is that it never loving shows Luke dealing with young Kylo and his other pupils on the screen. There's no moment of seeing how weird and hosed up Kylo is becoming, no moment of Luke trying to talk it out with him and failing, no moment of Luke realizing that he would not just be sacrificing his own life if he gave Kylo the same leeway he'd given Vader and it didn't stick, but the lives of all his other pupils.

In other words, we never actually get to see the equation Luke is trying to solve, he just tells us it was hard to solve but the answer was 1. Kylo then insists, again without showing us the equation, that the answer was actually 3. Rey then, with no demonstrated reason to believe Kylo other than a vision we also never see, beats up Luke until he admits yeah okay the answer was actually 2 but it doesn't land because we still never got to find out what the real fuckin equation was

*if you try to say "battle meditation though" I am going to hurl you down a reactor core myself

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

*if you try to say "battle meditation though" I am going to hurl you down a reactor core myself

We have three examples of people surviving that, Maul, Luke, and Palpatine.
Out of only three reported incidents.
So it aint that deadly.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Well it will at least be an inconvenience that prevents ypu from posting for a while

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Another way they could have left Luke in self exile would to have him have hurt young Kylo though bad teaching. Imagine Luke is taking his young apprentice Ben Solo to seal away some dark side artifact and Ben's all "I don't wanna be a Jedi, Master Luke I've got a bad feeling about this" and Luke is all "Don't worry, I'm the big poo poo around here nothing can go wrong, stop whining". And then things go wrong and Ben get's hurt. There you go. Kylo Ren has a reason to be embittered and Luke is like "I nearly got a little kid killed, my nephew at that, trying to make him a Jedi. I'm a shitbag and will go into exile to protect the galaxy from myself". Now Luke has a way to do the Kung-Fu master who refuses to train new students bit while not ignoring his character or the OT's events.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Idk I kind of wanted luke to do crazy awesome force stuff to the first order fleet like from the PT

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
They should do a movie about darth Vader but it’s the final scene from rogue one and it composes the majority of the movie.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kuato posted:

They should do a movie about darth Vader but it’s the final scene from rogue one and it composes the majority of the movie.

*nighttime at Camp Crystal Lake*

*two camp counselors having sex in a bunk*

*tsss-tsss-tsss-haaa-haaa-haaa*

girl: wait. billy wait what's that sound

*lightsaber ignites*

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

I've posted this before but the Luke/Kylo history could have totally worked if it had been framed as Luke being poorly suited to deal with responsibility and authority in particular and it would have dovetailed nicely with his reluctance to train Rey. Like when he's trying to redeem his dad, he's the weakest guy in the room when it comes to hierarchical power. Nobody else is depending on him except Vader--like the actual battle plot has nothing to do with Luke's success or failure*

Kylo on the other hand is something Luke is responsible for and people besides Luke and Kylo will bear the consequences of what Luke chooses to do, much the same as training Rey and setting her loose would be. TLJ sorta plays footsies with this idea but the reason it fails to register is that it never loving shows Luke dealing with young Kylo and his other pupils on the screen. There's no moment of seeing how weird and hosed up Kylo is becoming, no moment of Luke trying to talk it out with him and failing, no moment of Luke realizing that he would not just be sacrificing his own life if he gave Kylo the same leeway he'd given Vader and it didn't stick, but the lives of all his other pupils.

In other words, we never actually get to see the equation Luke is trying to solve, he just tells us it was hard to solve but the answer was 1. Kylo then insists, again without showing us the equation, that the answer was actually 3. Rey then, with no demonstrated reason to believe Kylo other than a vision we also never see, beats up Luke until he admits yeah okay the answer was actually 2 but it doesn't land because we still never got to find out what the real fuckin equation was

Luke training Kylo is probably the most important moment of the whole ST and it's absurdly bad writing that it's been told not shown and reduced to, like, flashbacks and a bad dream. The whole first movie should've been about it!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I've posted this before but the Luke/Kylo history could have totally worked if it had been framed as Luke being poorly suited to deal with responsibility and authority in particular and it would have dovetailed nicely with his reluctance to train Rey.
Yeah. All they got through was "I thought I could remake the Jedi order because I was Luke Fuckin Skywalker and I hosed that up royally and got a bunch of kids killed".

Which, really, was fine in that overstuffed film.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The JJ/Rian trilogy is the textbook definition of "missed opportunities".

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
and now carrie fisher is dead, harrison ford is out, and mark hamill is severely disillusioned so there'll never be another chance!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kuato posted:

honest to god if i rewrote rogue one. id cut dad planet out and move dad to bahama world. than have the rebels start winning until "oh gently caress, vader and the fleet showed up" and the rebels start getting decimated. vader lands and slowly moves his way toward the protags. maybe donnie yen manages to force shut a door to keep vader out for bit. than girl lady beams the plans off like a second before vader kills her. plans go to leia ship and you see that fly away or some poo poo.

id also make the characters actual characters but whatever.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honest to god if i rewrote rogue one. id cut dad planet out and move dad to bahama world. than have the rebels start winning until "oh gently caress, vader and the fleet showed up" and the rebels start getting decimated. vader lands and slowly moves his way toward the protags. maybe donnie yen manages to force shut a door to keep vader out for bit. than girl lady beams the plans off like a second before vader kills her. plans go to leia ship and you see that fly away or some poo poo.

I'd have gotten ride of at least half of the secondary characters, and given the main ones an actual backstory.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The most important addition you could make to Rogue One would be a scene in which the characters have a conversation about literally anything

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The most important addition you could make to Rogue One would be a scene in which the characters have a conversation about literally anything

Forest Whitaker did a lot of talking. It was also an interesting choice to have his character be massively constipated the whole time. At least that's what I think he was trying to do with the character.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If we're doing fanfiction, it could have been based on Baader-Meinhof. Tell a compelling tale of a young, privileged imperial woman, child of the deathstar designer, who starts out with a montage of growing up believing the empire is a functional society. She goes to imperial college and meets an exciting young man who radicalizes her with his rebel ways. She discovers that the empire is not good, it is in fact bad. She is inducted into a secret society and drops out of bad guy school. She, her lover, and their band of companions engage in a series of terrorist acts against the empire on behalf of the rebels. Once she's in deep, they tell her about the death star plans. Given the opportunity to back down, she doesn't and instead she is part of a group that kidnaps and murders her father. More drama: it is revealed the rebels were just using her all along, she was never meant to survive. But twist: the guy she met in college really loves her. It culminates in the same setpiece battle, everyone dies! sad. Deathstar plans delivered.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Fortunately the concept of the film is ‘What if ‘The Dirty Dozen’ but ‘Star Wars’’, on which merits it succeeds beyond my wildest expectations. I submit that actually characterising them more would be a mistake: they have exactly enough character for the film they’re in.

William Goldman has an apposite section in one of his books, where he illustrates the importance of not giving your hero (in his example, Rick Blaine from the film ‘Casablanca’) too much backstory. The character is not supposed to be fully realised, because he’s just a cypher - “Cynical Hero Who Still Has A Heart”.

Likewise, Han Solo in ANH: smuggler with a heart of gold. A few brush strokes about the Kessel Run, some guy called Jabba the Hutt he owes money to, nothing more is needed. The problem only arises when you try to make characters like this into real people: they aren’t real from their conception, and attempts to do so alway fail, because they cheapen the one thing that makes them interesting: their mysteriousness.

I don’t need to know why or how Cassian Andor became a guy who’d execute a dude in cold blood in an alley because he couldn’t trust him to keep his mouth shut, when I can just trust the anthropic principle: he’s that way because the story demands it. I’m sure that Disney are working hard to explain every piece of his clothing and every scar on his body, but I’m not sure the audience will be well served by knowing.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

jesus christ every defense of rogue one is so loving stupid. what a terrible, pointless movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked the Jedi ruins you can see very briefly and the brief office politics with krennic and tarkin.

Literally everything else could have been binned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Saint Drogo posted:

jesus christ every defense of rogue one is so loving stupid. what a terrible, pointless movie.

jesus christ every attack on rogue one is so loving stupid. it’s clearly the best star wars movie.