Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
ES2 did that, with being able to send back requests/complaints based on trivial poo poo. If they liked you, they might actually comply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'd never heard of that "chaos timer" thing though, you have a source for that? Not disbelieving it but I wanna know how people found out, and how it's coded in. It sounds awful.

I believe the old games had it. Certainly people playing Civ 5 complained that it could become too easy to stabilize world affairs with trade routes and deals? So I don't know if the newer ones do.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PaybackJack posted:

I think it's kind of nice that just giving the AI an impressively strong army doesn't mean they just don't go automatically conquer everything in sight. The combat AI is exploitable but it's not broken because it doesn't just roll over everything with its single death robot. Similarly, the fact that the AI is given a dozen nukes shouldn't necessitate it using them even if they're about to lose. I'd hope that even our real world leaders are smart enough to realize that dropping some nukes out of spite because you're losing is a lovely thing to do.

And gently caress anyone still clinging onto 1UPT being the death of the franchise.

How is that nice? An AI that is incapable of winning the game even when it is able to is boring for everyone.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Humankind looks great but the way to win by "influence" both scares and excite me. Era score in Civilization VI is such crap, I don't want to see a potentially great game botched by a similarly boneheaded implementation.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Tbh, so far I've read nothing about Humankind that I'm really looking for. I'm still intrigued though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Same here. Actually everything Ive read about it sounds ... unfun?

But in spite of that, I am excited. Their ideas sound at the very least new, and it was about time Civ got a contender

Im definitely trying it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 26, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
humankind is doomed

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same here. Actually everything Ive read about it sounds ... unfun?

I really like the idea of choosing a civilization each era to create your own unique culture. The implementation doesn't sound perfect, and at worst janky, but it's still a good start. I found it weird in Civlization that I'd start with the Aztecs and have the leader screen still be all bronze age in the year 2200.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does anyone else make any "stories" of these nations I their heads? Like you see how civilizations in your game progress and interact with one another and go all Dark Souls and fill in the gaps with a grandiose story your head? Or am I just weird?

This is basically what makes the game worth playing and the AI not especially annoying IMO.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How is that nice? An AI that is incapable of winning the game even when it is able to is boring for everyone.

The AI isn't incapable of winning. In this instance it was given a massive advantage and choice not to exploit that advantage. You say that's boring but imagine if you were in a game with 8 people and one of them was given a GDR and that player proceeded to just win the game by Domination over the course of the next 50 turns; would that be a 'fun' game?

It's perfectly fine to program that AI in such a way that it doesn't just default to trying to take the shortest path to 'win' everytime and instead enteres the game with a series of goals it's trying to accomplish on the path to a victory condition.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
People liked colonization and the AI is mostly incapable of winning that game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Panzeh posted:

People liked colonization and the AI is mostly incapable of winning that game.

That game has the Independence War as an endboss which was satisfyingly difficult though

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gort posted:

That game has the Independence War as an endboss which was satisfyingly difficult though

I've almost never heard the war for independence in col described as 'satisfying' but i get the point.

A lot of the problems with the war is shoving a huge bit of combat into a game with decidedly light combat, so it's more just a matter of stockpiling enough muskets and cannons in the correct cities.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

The AI isn't incapable of winning. In this instance it was given a massive advantage and choice not to exploit that advantage. You say that's boring but imagine if you were in a game with 8 people and one of them was given a GDR and that player proceeded to just win the game by Domination over the course of the next 50 turns; would that be a 'fun' game?

It's perfectly fine to program that AI in such a way that it doesn't just default to trying to take the shortest path to 'win' everytime and instead enteres the game with a series of goals it's trying to accomplish on the path to a victory condition.

The AI is not programmed like that though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really like the idea of choosing a civilization each era to create your own unique culture. The implementation doesn't sound perfect, and at worst janky, but it's still a good start. I found it weird in Civlization that I'd start with the Aztecs and have the leader screen still be all bronze age in the year 2200.

they fixed this in civ 2 and civ 3

and then they broke it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

The alternatives are either the GDR player draws out their inevitable victory to toy with people or they blatantly let someone else win, neither of which are any more satisfying as a conclusion. Realistically no one would want to bother playing out such an unbalanced scenario, but if it arose naturally through play that one player had amassed such a massive lead, a swift end to the game is the best outcome for all involved.

This is what players object to: at high levels the AI has enough bonuses that it can occasionally stumble into a position where by rights it should be able to crush the player, but just doesn't. Winning when the AI clearly has more than enough means to stop you but doesn't bother lifting a finger against you is not particularly satisfying.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
5 and 6 both have nifty rubber band/balancing mechanics... and ai so useless that they're never necessary.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Incidentally I've been playing an unofficial contination to a mod of a mod of a mod of Civ IV which brings together a variety of other mods and mods of mods in two-person multiplayer. I love how deep the rabbit hole we've somehow ended up and that people are still making stuff for that game.

At the same time it makes me sad the later entries never had the chance to get a similar treatment.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PaybackJack posted:

If Civ weren't a board game which multiple players in this thread emphasize they just seek to min/max as much as possible, sure, I'd agree with your point on the AI. But it is a moot point either way, since Firaxis' AI is far, far worse than you give it credit for.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Beamed posted:

If Civ weren't a board game which multiple players in this thread emphasize they just seek to min/max as much as possible, sure, I'd agree with your point on the AI. But it is a moot point either way, since Firaxis' AI is far, far worse than you give it credit for.

There are plenty of players that enjoy the story of building their Civilization and don't need a completely cutthroat AI.

The AI has a lot of problems but "doesn't auto win Domination with GDR" and "doesn't launch all its nukes" aren't representative of them; and saying the AI is incapable of winning is hyperbolic.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

There are plenty of players that enjoy the story of building their Civilization and don't need a completely cutthroat AI.

The AI has a lot of problems but "doesn't auto win Domination with GDR" and "doesn't launch all its nukes" aren't representative of them; and saying the AI is incapable of winning is hyperbolic.

the passivity of the AI very much is a problem, though? and if you're happy with a passive AI that's all well and good, but the game has no fewer than 8 difficulty settings and perhaps an AI that is willing to use the most powerful unit in the game to its advantage belongs at one of the higher ones.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

PaybackJack posted:

You're missing the point of the turn 1 GDR by half a continent. The AI is not self-aware. It can't go "hold on it's turn 1 why do I have a GDR" and hold back deliberately.
If an AI with a GDR turn 1 can't steamroll everything reachable by turn 50, then the combat AI is actively detrimental to the game because it can't exploit production advantages and combat advantages. If the AI can't use a turn 1 GDR, then it won't be able to use its military at all.

Give Ghandi in 4 a stack of modern armor turn 1 and he'll crush everyone under their threads, because the AI in 4 knew how to use its military.
It didn't know how to use it well, it didn't know how to use it effectively, search Sulla's multiplayer games reports for actual military wizardry in the civ 4 engine, but loving hell the Civ 6 AI can't even clear the bar of using its military. It can't even clear the bar of "point unit that can instacapture city at city and capture".

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
At least the barbarians and city-states know how to raze a city, sometimes :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BBJoey posted:

the passivity of the AI very much is a problem, though? and if you're happy with a passive AI that's all well and good, but the game has no fewer than 8 difficulty settings and perhaps an AI that is willing to use the most powerful unit in the game to its advantage belongs at one of the higher ones.

my problem with the passivity of the AI is that its inability to launch and coordinate an attack outside of dumb luck, doesn't stop it from declaring war like it's a little napoleon

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just ended a game on Prince and, while the AI is most certainly incapable of posing a military threat unless you're literally forgetting about building military (in which case Barbarians will probably stomp you way before another civ can), they will at least try to attack you and/or move an army near your borders.

They're actually pretty decent at going for religious victory (even too much), or culture victory. Also what they seem to be unable to do with military, they can sure do with religious units - the map was constantly blanketed with missionaries, inquisitors, apostles and gurus from 3 different religions having a field day (I had my own but didn't bother really because I got there late and only had lovely bonuses left to choose)

Oh and why on Earth does every AI come at you with horribly lopsided deals, all the time? "Hey give me that 1 luxury resource you have a copy of. I will give you 3 gold for it even though I have several unused copies of various luxury resources I could offer you, but no, gently caress you... I might give you open borders if I feel real generous, maybe."

Or "give me your only work of writing / relic in exchange for 1gpt for 10 turns. That's a great deal, no? What do you mean get lost? I'm sad and angry that you would refuse all our trade offers"

Well Wilhelmina, try to make a decent offer every once in a while instead of literally trying to rob me, and I might take it ... crazy, I know

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kanfy posted:

Incidentally I've been playing an unofficial contination to a mod of a mod of a mod of Civ IV which brings together a variety of other mods and mods of mods in two-person multiplayer. I love how deep the rabbit hole we've somehow ended up and that people are still making stuff for that game.

At the same time it makes me sad the later entries never had the chance to get a similar treatment.

A New Dawn 2? Rise From Erebus Final Fixes Reborn? :v:

also I guess check back in five years, I bet by then Vox Populi will go through the same process

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, Civ having discrete military units with distinctive roles and such is kinda odd given that in other systems you're dealing with production as 'hammers'. You'd expect something like 'military points' to be the way it's done or something.

That being said, in civ 4 it was easy enough to just grab some units and beeline toward a city with a reasonable chance of success if you put enough hammers into producing units and that's probably a good thing for a civ game. Tactically finicky placement on tiles is one of the worst things for an AI.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

TorakFade posted:

Oh and why on Earth does every AI come at you with horribly lopsided deals, all the time?
"Hey give me that 1 luxury resource you have a copy of. I will give you 3 gold for it even though I have several unused copies of various luxury resources I could offer you, but no, gently caress you...

Probably due to the new amenity system.
Having just one of any luxury is no longer a big deal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also I guess check back in five years, I bet by then Vox Populi will go through the same process

VP also has a bunch of modmods trailing behind it so the process is well underway

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Avirosb posted:

Probably due to the new amenity system.
Having just one of any luxury is no longer a big deal.

Wait what? It doesn't work like it used to anymore? (1st copy of a luxury resource gives amenities to 4 cities, 2nd copy and further have no benefit so can be traded away)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

A New Dawn 2? Rise From Erebus Final Fixes Reborn? :v:

ExtraModMod Unofficial

Overall Fall From Heaven II was pretty much the best thing to happen to Civilization IV.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PaybackJack posted:

Yes, agreed on the first point, but your arguing that a game which isn’t Civ should have difficulty levels, which is unrelated to the game which is Civ and already does.

The AI is effectively incapable of winning. That’s not hyperbole. Where’s the latest update on how the AI does taking a city with walls, again?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Beamed posted:

Yes, agreed on the first point, but your arguing that a game which isn’t Civ should have difficulty levels, which is unrelated to the game which is Civ and already does.

The AI is effectively incapable of winning. That’s not hyperbole. Where’s the latest update on how the AI does taking a city with walls, again?

I once almost lost a city with walls, but it really only happened once in like 15 games, and when the war started I had basically no army and not even the walls (I built them during the war), and I guess the attacker was particulary lucky on what units the dice chosen for it

Yeah, the AI just cant fight, and its worst than it was on Civ 5, where this was already pretty bad.

I do have fun with the game in spite of that, but lets not pretend this aint a problem or that the civ being incapable of winning a war with an incomparably superior army was just being nice to the player

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've only seen it a handful of times (including just a little while ago), but it always makes me laugh when I see a CS with a settler that they captured. More than any other event, that is proof positive of just how bad the AI is in this game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It would be awesome if rebel cities stay independent long enough then they'll become their own empire. Like a new player enters the game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PaybackJack posted:

Settler mode is perfectly fine for people who want to play in a sandbox. But at Deity, the AI should attempt to WIN by any means necessary.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

It would be awesome if rebel cities stay independent long enough then they'll become their own empire. Like a new player enters the game.

In civ4 that was possible. In vanilla they never became a new autonomous player that the player could interact with beyond war. , but in numerous mods new players could join all the time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yes, the RevDCM mod for civ4. I'm still playing it, like literally right now.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

My favorite element of the game may be having a linguist cat burglar spy drop into a city and within 2 turns steal their entire cultural heritage.

Then all the poor losers come and visit my city and marvel at my civilization’s amazing works when an identical painting was stolen from them in a daring heist two weeks ago.

Even better when the spy somehow steals a story or a song like “did you hear someone STOLE Symphony No. 40 so we can’t listen to it any more even though it’s an intangible construct” come to Broadway if you want to hear Mata Hari performing it live losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, you gotta appreciate the little things, like the symbol for antiquity sites being a dinosaur bone even though the closest thing you'll ever get to it will be a mummy. A cat one, at that!