Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: you could do Joel Robuchons pommes puree where it's like a pound of potatoes and a half pound of butter mixed together.

Absolutely do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Recently came into possession of a homemade mead that a friend of my husband made. It's a bit stronger than I like to drink straight, so any suggestions on things to mix it with/other things to do with it? The friend said he made it from honey and cherries, if that helps.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seltzer only to start. Give it a chance to shine on its own. If a couple ratios of that doesn't suit you, try other things that are pretty one-noted so you don't cover the honey. Apple juice + whiskey (to balance sweetness) diluted with water just to your preference could work. La Croix could work too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Or just water. It works for whisky.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
There's this sandwich shop I frequent that has a lemon and chive mayonnaise that I want to replicate but can't figure it out. It is not like normal mayonnaise, it is a fluffy and smooth emulsion like Lebanese toum, but not garlicy. It is also not green, and just looks like toum

Pretty sure I am not going to get an emulsion happening with just lemon juice and some kind of chive oil, what could they be doing to make this?

Edit: the bloke who runs the shop is Greek if that part of the Mediterranean has something along those lines that I am not familiar with

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

I want to like this, because it seems like a Southern lad like Alton Brown should know a thing or two about cornbread.

But... Creamed Corn? Like, canned creamed corn? Yech, that poo poo is nasty.
Is that considered a pantry staple down South? I associate it with nasty public school lunches.

He makes it from scratch, but I just use a can and then usually eat the rest out of the can while I'm cooking because I'm a garbage human

e: here's his recipe https://altonbrown.com/creamed-corn-recipe/

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Big Willy Style posted:

There's this sandwich shop I frequent that has a lemon and chive mayonnaise that I want to replicate but can't figure it out. It is not like normal mayonnaise, it is a fluffy and smooth emulsion like Lebanese toum, but not garlicy. It is also not green, and just looks like toum

Pretty sure I am not going to get an emulsion happening with just lemon juice and some kind of chive oil, what could they be doing to make this?

Edit: the bloke who runs the shop is Greek if that part of the Mediterranean has something along those lines that I am not familiar with

I would try this:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

It's pronouncedly garlicky and lemony and gets fluffier the more you blend it.

Add before the blend a couple chopped up white ends of scallions, if you're determined to keep it from being green

E: or this https://www.greekboston.com/food/mayonnaise-recipe/ which is maybe what he makes. It even calls for herbs of your choosing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a bunch of friends coming over tomorrow to all carve jack-o-lanterns and am looking for a good batch drink. We'll be outside, and it should be mid 60s-low 70s, so not sure it will really be mulled wine weather, but something "festive" would be ideal.

Any suggestions for a batch cocktail/punch?

Edit: Looking to serve 8-10

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Gatorade cooler full of Manhattan is always a good choice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Manhattan if you like bitter as mentioned above. I've done the standard daquiri recipe in bulk and it works nice also.

Mint Juleps aren't hard to make a lot of if you buy a big bag of crushed ice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking for a recommendation for a quite large pot. I need something around 10g.

I'm using it on a big stand burner to make jambalaya on for tailgates and I want to get something that I can also fry a turkey with later if I wish. Reading around on the cheapest ones on amazon they are all Aluminum 1mm thick single ply etc and everyone has issues with the bottoms burning etc. I didn't immediately see a larger pot with a heavier bottom so figure I'd ask here before digging further. Cheap(er) would be nice but not if it's total crap. This won't see much use so it doesn't need to be like Le Creuset quality+price.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

1. I’ve become a big fan of making limoncello and other citrus infused vodka liqueurs...

2. My wife really likes amaretto.

These two facts have led me to the idea that I might try to make a batch of amaretto, but all of the recipes I can find online suggest mixing vodka and almond extract, which strikes me as not quite the thing. Has anyone got any ideas how I can take almond and vodka and get amaretto?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scientastic posted:

1. I’ve become a big fan of making limoncello and other citrus infused vodka liqueurs...

2. My wife really likes amaretto.

These two facts have led me to the idea that I might try to make a batch of amaretto, but all of the recipes I can find online suggest mixing vodka and almond extract, which strikes me as not quite the thing. Has anyone got any ideas how I can take almond and vodka and get amaretto?

I've made other liquers, not amaretto, but I'd probably just start here: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/diy-amaretto-homemade-almond-liqueur-recipe.html

Seems like it might be more trouble than worth given the price of amaretto (in the USA at least).

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Doom Rooster posted:

I've got a bunch of friends coming over tomorrow to all carve jack-o-lanterns and am looking for a good batch drink. We'll be outside, and it should be mid 60s-low 70s, so not sure it will really be mulled wine weather, but something "festive" would be ideal.

Any suggestions for a batch cocktail/punch?

Edit: Looking to serve 8-10

Cider!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

Seems like it might be more trouble than worth given the price of amaretto (in the USA at least).

No, that’s perfect, that’s exactly what I want, thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Two questions – how easy is it to lacto-ferment fruits and vegetables (peppers, garlic, citrus) using old, active culture brine with little to no salt? Is it easy to mess up? Any suggestions for amounts of old brine vs. fresh water / other liquids? I have several active cultures going, but they're all pretty salty.

Second – any recommendations for a fermentation bible? I'm looking for a book or website that goes deep into the process and mechanics of it, not just a book of recipes. Is there a thread for it as a general topic? I know there are threads that touch on it (ie. the brewing thread).

kedo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 27, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Check out It's Alive on the bon appetit channel if you haven't already.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a quite large pot. I need something around 10g.

I'm using it on a big stand burner to make jambalaya on for tailgates and I want to get something that I can also fry a turkey with later if I wish. Reading around on the cheapest ones on amazon they are all Aluminum 1mm thick single ply etc and everyone has issues with the bottoms burning etc. I didn't immediately see a larger pot with a heavier bottom so figure I'd ask here before digging further. Cheap(er) would be nice but not if it's total crap. This won't see much use so it doesn't need to be like Le Creuset quality+price.
I have a 16qt ‘thermalloy’ stock pot that I really like. I got it at a restaurant supply place. Stainless steel with a thick aluminum disk sandwich on the bottom. This definitely was not the biggest they had, but I dunno about 10 gallons, and I can’t really remember where it was price wise, but I would definitely check out your local restaurant supply place.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

kedo posted:

Two questions – how easy is it to lacto-ferment fruits and vegetables (peppers, garlic, citrus) using old, active culture brine with little to no salt? Is it easy to mess up? Any suggestions for amounts of old brine vs. fresh water / other liquids? I have several active cultures going, but they're all pretty salty.

Second – any recommendations for a fermentation bible? I'm looking for a book or website that goes deep into the process and mechanics of it, not just a book of recipes. Is there a thread for it as a general topic? I know there are threads that touch on it (ie. the brewing thread).

1) the salt in lactofermentation is important to prevent unwanted bacteria from growing. Without salt your lacto culture will work and grow, but so will other stuff.

2) the noma guide to fermentation is a good source of info for lactofermentation and vinegar and kombucha and whatever else it covers. It's the book that taught me why you have to use salt in lactoferments! I don't know of a book that talks in depth about every type of fermentation. That would be a big book.

E: I guess fermentation is generally broken down into 3 categories: lacto, acetic, and ethyl alcohol. The noma guide covers the first two, and not ethyl, IIRC.

fart store fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 27, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Am I a monster if I try to cook brussel sprouts in a pan on the stove? My oven isn't entirely reliable and I have some sprouts I need to cook soon, but I've only ever heard of people oven-roasting them.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I really enjoy them steamed with some salt, pepper, butter and lemon. Just make sure not to overcook. I've even done this in the microwave instead of a steamer basket for a quick snack :yum:

e: if I misread and you're asking about "dry" stovetop cooking techniques, I dunno. I'd be curious to find out!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If I set out to cook brussels sprouts on the stove I'd probably start by shaving them thinly. On a microplane, ideally. They'd probably be delicious stir-fried with a sauce of white miso, fish sauce, lemon juice and a little sambal oelek.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

C-Euro posted:

Am I a monster if I try to cook brussel sprouts in a pan on the stove? My oven isn't entirely reliable and I have some sprouts I need to cook soon, but I've only ever heard of people oven-roasting them.

I've made these: https://iheartumami.com/stir-fried-thai-brussels-sprouts/

If your goal is just to use them up with minimum fuss, there's also this slaw: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's fine to cook them in a pan, either blanch them a bit first or just start with a lower heat than normal

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Or slice them in half and put them in a pan cut side down, with a little olive oil to roast low on the stovetop. Cover the pan at first if they are large. Move them around and turn them over when the cut side is brown, until they're as tender as you want them to be. (Add garlic, lemon, teriyaki sauce or other seasonings as you wish.)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I pretty regularly slice brussel sprouts in half, then slice those halves into 2-3mm thick slices. I'll occasionally cut off any big stem peices. Then I'll just saute with whatever typical sauteed veggie techniques you want to use.

I'm lazy and boring so I end up with salt & pepper with lemon at the end, but it always ends up really good when I have enough patience to develop some caramelization.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I have my own apartment now and I have a hodge podge of old mismatched pots and pans. Time for new.

Whats the best nonstick set for..eh...$200? Flying blind here.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honest answer, do you have a restaurant supply store near you? If so, go there and get what you need. Better quality, you can pick and choose, and probably cheaper.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Club Aluminum Ebay

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Get on webstaurantstore.com and get you some Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chinatown posted:

I have my own apartment now and I have a hodge podge of old mismatched pots and pans. Time for new.

you really only need one non-stick pan for like eggs and such. don't get non-stick pots.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Chinatown posted:

You might also consider cast iron ware, which behaves like nonstick if you keep it properly seasoned. Not everybody likes it, but if you take to it, it's really good stuff.

I bought a set more decades ago than I'd care to admit, and it still looks and works like new even though it has seen daily use for all that time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I have an old Wagner Ware cast iron that I love. Otherwise its Ikea and Target stuff. :{

There's a restaurant supply place near me thats open to the public. I'll check that out. Thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

You might also consider cast iron ware, which behaves like nonstick if you keep it properly seasoned. Not everybody likes it, but if you take to it, it's really good stuff.

I bought a set more decades ago than I'd care to admit, and it still looks and works like new even though it has seen daily use for all that time.

Well, you need a couple of cast iron pans but I certainly wouldn't have everything be cast iron. It's heavy af and requires maintenance. It's also less suitable for acidic cooks like tomato sauce and whatnot.

Get a good cast iron skillet and Dutch oven, get a non stick frying pan, and get thick bottom stainless everything else.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also Ikea's more fancy pans are pretty good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Get a good cast iron skillet and Dutch oven, get a non stick frying pan, and get thick bottom stainless everything else.

This tbh and I'd modify it to an enamel Dutch oven and that's my exact set up that I don't see changing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Definitely don't get nonstick everything. You basically just need one or two non-stick skillets for eggs.

Otherwise, you should get an enamel cast-iron Dutch oven, and some stainless pots/pans.

A high sided pan, a small/larger sautee pan, a couple different sized pots, and maybe a big stock pot is probably all you'll need for quite some time. Maybe a carbon steel wok (you'll need a wok ring) if you're into that sort of thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

95% of my cooking is done in one of: 12" cast iron skillet, 10" stainless steel skillet, 10" nonstick, 2 quart copper sauce pot, 6 quart enameled dutch oven. And then i guess the one random 10+ year old 2 quart pot I boil water in for pasta? Yeah, I've got a lot of other random stuff, but if you're starting out a kitchen those are going to be your workhorses and you shouldn't bother with any kind of 10 piece set you really only need 1-2 from.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only "set" of cooking equipment you should ever buy are measuring spoons and those 3 packs of Kuhn peelers, everything else, no exceptions don't post exceptions is an excuse to sell you poo poo you don't need to jack up the total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pile of brown posted:

The only "set" of cooking equipment you should ever buy are measuring spoons and those 3 packs of Kuhn peelers, everything else, no exceptions don't post exceptions is an excuse to sell you poo poo you don't need to jack up the total.

I kind of like getting ten worthless "steak" knives to go with my three sizes of santoku and a filet knife that's too short to filet anything bigger than a sardine. Thats why I always buy knife blocks!