Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Seeing an actual list of what's been dropped over the years and how many things on it were in the "actively bad" to "eh, whatever" range honestly makes Game Freak's feature dropping look a lot better. I'd only really particularly like to see about a fifth of the things in that list come back:

National Dex
Following Pokemon
Difficulty selection
Mega Evolution
Mythical events
Dexnav
Battle Frontier
Z Moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rudoku posted:

This time talk reminded me that Dusk Form Lycanroc was a bitch to evolve with my schedule.

Cant you just change the systems time

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

They might, like me, just not want to do that and play it normally. I never changed the time for Animal Crossing either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I never done it as well

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
National Dex
Follower Pokemon
Battle Frontier (though PWT would be nice too)
One of the Rematch features
Dexnav

Ride Pokemon are a land of contrasts because
Replacing HM's=good
Replacing the Bike and Dowsing machine=bad
Wearing a Helmet and kneepads=good
Wearing a neon gimp suit=bad

The Acro/Mach bike is like the opposite of a feature though. It's literally making you switch bikes when other bikes in the series could do what both did at the same time. Putting it in ORAS was such a nonsensical move.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

galagazombie posted:

Ride Pokemon are a land of contrasts because
Replacing HM's=good
Replacing the Bike and Dowsing machine=bad

Agreed, Tauros and Stoutland weren't terrible but just a tad too unwieldy to make for good replacements.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1188183517689049088

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Proving that Pokémon tongues don't just make for nice scarves, but belts as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

less laughter posted:

Agreed, Tauros and Stoutland weren't terrible but just a tad too unwieldy to make for good replacements.

There's literally a location on the second island with a hidden item that Stoutland can't get too because he won't fit through the gap.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Riding Pokemon was fun in Let's Go and it should return someday but at the same time I understand that it was likely (certainly?) only possible due to the strictly limited Pokedex. That's why we need Let's Go Johto for one more ride.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there any Generation in which Parasect is usable? And not in a "You can grind him to 100 on Route 1 Rattatta's" way, but actually functional along the games level curve. I've always wanted to use him but he's just so weak.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Parasect is always a valuable team member as a catchmon, thanks to Spore and False Swipe.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Is there any Generation in which Parasect is usable? And not in a "You can grind him to 100 on Route 1 Rattatta's" way, but actually functional along the games level curve. I've always wanted to use him but he's just so weak.

Parasect was a core member of my Blue team whose grass moves and bug move powered through 3/4 elite four members. Turns out bug being good on poison was enough to pass in Gen 1. Especially with 100% sleep and the wake-up turn to be hitting on.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Parasect was a core member of my Blue team whose grass moves and bug move powered through 3/4 elite four members. Turns out bug being good on poison was enough to pass in Gen 1. Especially with 100% sleep and the wake-up turn to be hitting on.

Thanks, Gen 1 it is then. Weird how there's always these Pokemon I want to use that seem to always have something stopping me, like Skarmory and Houndoom not being available till the games more or less over in Johto or Noivern and Braviary not evolving until the end times.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I hate the time mechanic. I don't want to have to pay the game at certain times. Just let me have everything available in the game regardless if what time it is

How about : letting the player freely control time

It’s a stretch, I know

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would much rather ride a Pokémon than a bike. I think if there were a selection of rideable Pokémon, it would be cool to be able to set one you own as a mount, and if you don’t have any set, then you get the bike as a default.

Ride Pokémon are great, but it would be neat to customize them and have them be your own Pokémon, rather than the generic summon Pokémon. Have like 50-60 Pokémon be rideable, so they’re a little bit exclusive, but not terribly difficult to obtain.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah but it screws up more important poo poo that I'd rather not get reset.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nessa posted:

I would much rather ride a Pokémon than a bike. I think if there were a selection of rideable Pokémon, it would be cool to be able to set one you own as a mount, and if you don’t have any set, then you get the bike as a default.

Ride Pokémon are great, but it would be neat to customize them and have them be your own Pokémon, rather than the generic summon Pokémon. Have like 50-60 Pokémon be rideable, so they’re a little bit exclusive, but not terribly difficult to obtain.
There were 18 ridable Pokemon in Let's Go, a game with a Pokedex count of 153. Without the Following Pokemon, maybe they could have more, but I don't think they'd implement riding before following, especially in a far larger Pokedex. It'd be a weird thing to develop instead of just doing Pokemon HMs again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

galagazombie posted:

Thanks, Gen 1 it is then. Weird how there's always these Pokemon I want to use that seem to always have something stopping me, like Skarmory and Houndoom not being available till the games more or less over in Johto or literally every gen 5 pokemon not evolving until the end times.
Fixed that for ya.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s a stretch, I know

Yeah why don't you just have a button that adds any pokemon to your party or a menu option to instantly win the game either?!?

:wink:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s a stretch, I know

New Key Item: like the Eon Flute, but summons Dialga to gently caress around with the flow of time. Maybe name it... "Time Ocarina" or something like that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The only gen V pokemon who takes long to evolve as far as I know is the overrated dragon Hydreigon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

Yeah why don't you just have a menu option to instantly win the game either?!?

:wink:

The current Exp. Share was 2 generations ago

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ka0 posted:

The only gen V pokemon who takes long to evolve as far as I know is the overrated dragon Hydreigon.

braviary and the vulture evolve in the 50s because they come so late in BW1

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ka0 posted:

The Eagle and Vulture and Volcarona and that's it.

Everyone of course will poo poo their pants crying about it though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ka0 posted:

The only gen V pokemon who takes long to evolve as far as I know is the [b]overrated dragon[b] Hydreigon.

Ex-loving-scuse me? How dare you talk about Cameron's secret weapon Hydreigon like that.

https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1169719534330241024?s=20

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

With the exception of Pseudo-legendaries, who at the earliest should reach their final form at around 45 to 55, anything else that needs to wait to that level and beyond to do the same is unreasonable. This includes stuff like Vanillish, Vibrava, Skrelp, Noibat, Klang, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby and Larvesta.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If the pokemon is good then no issues. If the pokemon is your friend aka carries emotional value to you then also no problems either. It's that they usually come up way late in the single-player playthrough to make any difference with the E4, but now we're told there won't be any E4 to worry about.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

canaduckling that can evolve into ontarioose or québecanard depending on gen 16's Canada-themed gimmick.

Good lord Québecanards are the worst. They call in looking for technical support for their Pokeball and demand that you find somebody who speaks Kalos Canadian. The second you offer to conference in a translator they suddenly know perfect English.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evolution should be a species specific number of levels gained instead of a set level

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
all evolutions should be stone evolutions

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

aahhh!!ddium posted:

evolution should be a species specific number of levels gained instead of a set level

Frankly this is the most sensible thing I've heard, although I imagine it's a lot harder to program. Can anyone who has fiddled with code weigh in?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Frankly this is the most sensible thing I've heard, although I imagine it's a lot harder to program. Can anyone who has fiddled with code weigh in?

That would barely be more difficult than specifying a particular level, although it would likely require all Pokémon to keep track of their specific number of levels.

Like if every Pokemon has attributes for nature, evs, moveset, it could be as straightforward as bolting in another attribute counting total number levels gained and then comparing it to the species specific number.

E: Aaaaaand I just remembered Pokemon keep track of the level you got them at anyways, there are a lot of reasonable programming solutions for approaching that problem.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 27, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man Black 2 and White 2 had a banging soundtrack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ue9eU7y2Mc

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hello I have an opinion about Pokemon.

Ice should resist grass and be super-effective against bug. Thanks for reading.

PS: Mienfoo should evolve earlier.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Walrus Pete posted:

Hello I have an opinion about Pokemon.

Ice should resist grass and be super-effective against bug. Thanks for reading.

PS: Mienfoo should evolve earlier.

what about pine trees tho

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they should make pokemon evolve earlier yeah, who cares about consistency

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Bug don't need more things to kick their asses

it's a shame they're so puny considering they're consistently some of the coolest pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1188397087718891520

So it's a prequel about Pikachu's youth and his life before Ash :abrathink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

they should make pokemon evolve earlier yeah, who cares about consistency
:yeah: