Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How serious are you about this?

This is all that matters. I think that bike looks to be in excellent nick and will likely just need a carb clean and a few consumables, $500 bucks seems insanely good, if

you really want to learn to ride.
you want to exert your brains and give a real gently caress about something.
you have/are prepared to buy some basic tools and get your hands slightly dirty.

If not, buying from a dealer won't make any difference because the result will be the same: you'll either hurt yourself and tell everyone you know how dangerous bikes are, or there'll be another Honda being sold for $500 after sitting for a year or two.

If you want to look cool or have a nifty new passtime there's always guitar hero and cup stacking. This poo poo is too dangerous and too involving for a light hobby I'm afraid.

If you are serious, buy that bike, post here lots and we'll hand hold you through everything and it'll be amazing. But you gotta be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Knight2m posted:

Yes, I have taken the safety course and have my license. Yes, I'm well aware the cost of decent gear.

Good, that’s more of a start than most people take.

If you want a Shadow for a first bike, find one that’s running in fairly well known condition and get that instead.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Get the bike! Also everything Slavvy said

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rode for an hour. Helmet felt too tight at the start, then fine after about 20 minutes, and then tight again at the end when I was doing slow speed practice. No fog problems with the visor or sunvisor, but with the visor locked down, my glasses fog slightly at slow speeds (like <20kph slow), but that's probably never going to be an issue.

How do I do the tightest possible u-turn? I'm getting fairly tight but not as much as I'd like. I'm keeping the revs up while slipping the clutch, dragging the rear brake, looking through the turn, and turning probably better than a large car but I feel like I could do lots better.

Also it's only the middle of spring here and I was... warmer than I really want to be riding around town. Fine on the highway and it'll probably stay that way through summer, but I'm gonna need a summer jacket to throw on for the "go get milk" type stuff. What should I be looking at?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Rode for an hour. Helmet felt too tight at the start, then fine after about 20 minutes, and then tight again at the end when I was doing slow speed practice. No fog problems with the visor or sunvisor, but with the visor locked down, my glasses fog slightly at slow speeds (like <20kph slow), but that's probably never going to be an issue.

How do I do the tightest possible u-turn? I'm getting fairly tight but not as much as I'd like. I'm keeping the revs up while slipping the clutch, dragging the rear brake, looking through the turn, and turning probably better than a large car but I feel like I could do lots better.

Also it's only the middle of spring here and I was... warmer than I really want to be riding around town. Fine on the highway and it'll probably stay that way through summer, but I'm gonna need a summer jacket to throw on for the "go get milk" type stuff. What should I be looking at?

u turns are the most overrated manouver safety courses teach. like practice tightening it up if you want, but also who cares just put a foot down. the goal is to not drop your bike

for hot weather get a mesh or textile jacket

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Low speed turns are the only time where it helps to lean your body opposite to the bike, as it stops you keeling over. Looking as far back over your shoulder as possible also helps immensely.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

How do I do the tightest possible u-turn?
Literally move your butt to the opposite side of the seat as your turn. Your weight on the outside means the bike will then naturally balance on the inside of the tire, which cuts the turn radius down.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

And if things get sketchy and you think you're going to tip, apply a fraction more throttle and it'll just stand up.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Makes sense, I'll try that stuff out tomorrow. And yeah, I don't personally give much of a poo poo if I put a foot down in a car park, I'm worried about the license test.

Next question: Is there some trick to holding the throttle open and constant so that it doesn't strain the wrist? I'm not talking about a few minutes, next town's like 25 minutes away on a perfectly straight flat highway.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hit the gym.

Edit:

More serious answer:

Wrist strain comes from a few places. One is from your bodyweight from leaning over on them. The answer there is you should be holding on to the bike with your legs and holding your torso up as much as possible using the core muscles. That takes your weight off your shoulders and wrists.

Other possibility is that the way you're holding the throttle is off. Don't death grip it like it's your dick and it owes you money. Make sure you're holding on as far up the grip towards the centre of the bars as possible. Also one thing I found was that during instruction I was told to hold the throttle hand "flat" in such a way that I couldn't fully open the throttle when twisting it. This presumably was to reduce the chance of accidentally opening the throttle fully by accident (e.g. by jostling or going over a bump) but was hideously unergonomic. Don't do it, just learn to be careful.

Also just in general when I first started riding, I did it a lot and the riding position and time strained muscles I hadn't used much. Over time it got better. Just like any other muscle work really.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 21, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Loosen your grip.

If you need a death-grip to keep the throttle from closing, lubricate your cables and install some stickier grips. You should be able to keep it open with quite a light touch.

For really long rides, you can get something like a crampbuster or a throttle lock to help.

https://www.crampbuster.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Baomabao-Motorcycle-Throttle-Universal-Retainer/dp/B07R228D27

Both of those devices are also 3D-printable.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Carth Dookie posted:

Also one thing I found was that during instruction I was told to hold the throttle hand "flat" in such a way that I couldn't fully open the throttle when twisting it. This presumably was to reduce the chance of accidentally opening the throttle fully by accident (e.g. by jostling or going over a bump) but was hideously unergonomic. Don't do it, just learn to be careful.

Holding the hand flat at closed throttle also prevents the runaway scenario of being thrown back by acceleration because you forgot to use your core when taking off from a stop, then the natural arm straightening leading to more acceleration, then losing grip with your thumb leading to your fingers rolling the throttle fully open, then you're wheelieing across the intersection and into the back of a bus.

I've had the first stage happen to me, fortunately I remembered about the rear brake.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh poo poo is that what that's for? I thought the flat-hand thing was a "do it like this or you'll gently caress your wrist up in the long term, I know it's uncomfortable, get used to it" thing (like with learning guitar) and was trying to do it all the time which meant that yeah, I was holding my hand in a really weird position. Thank you, that's probably 100% of my problem!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 21, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still struggling with remembering to use my core to grip the bike and not my arms, but I do feel like I'm making progress in fixing it for a while once I mentally become aware of the fact that I'm strong-arming the bars. One day it'll be second nature.

Gripping with the core just works for everything. When I'm handling some turns where I feel floppy on the bike, the feeling disappears immediately once I clamp down with my thighs and relax my arms. Magic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If I’m going on longer/sportier rides, I wear a simple back brace, the kind that supports your lumbar. It helps me maintain a good core posture, which in turn makes it easier to maintain a good balance of thigh gripping and arm support without getting lazy and holding myself up on the bars.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hadn't thought of the lumbar support back brace for longer rides, I may give that a shot sometime.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is actually an awesome idea; I'm surprised this is the first I've read about it. Wouldn't even have thought to try that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

How do I do the tightest possible u-turn?

Buy a trials bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pra9i7W90-o

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I want a trials bike so bad (especially an electric for stealthy city riding) but holy poo poo are they expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKkgVhyZgD8

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

My bones are shattering just watching that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got this guy rigged. Works great and I can document how often I dance at stop lights.

On a separate note, I’m starting to think about my next bike. I’ve only had the R3 for a few months and about 1400 miles so I’m not looking to purchase, I’m just researching what I want out of motorcycling long term because I enjoy discussing it.

Right now I want my next bike to be at least as comfortable as my R3 and as fun as my R3, but I’d like to add hard bags and the ability to do some longer distance moto-backpacking (with some off-roading.) I like the upright riding position of my bike and I’ve decided that I want to keep it that way because of how much city riding I do. I see how uncomfortable my gixxer friend is in slow traffic. Aesthetically I’m not really into cruisers, I’m more into the looks of the Africa or the F750GS. I actually love the F750GS (does this thread hate BMW?)

Summarily, I’ll be looking for an adventure bike that is still fun when the luggage is off. Again, this is just future chat, I want to try tracking my R3 next spring a few times and I’m still having a blast riding a bike that’s paid for.

But yeah, any staple beginner to intermediate adventure bikes?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I think the new yam tenere 700 or KTM adventure 790 might be up your alley for middleweight adventure bikes, both can probably get you anywhere you want to go unless you're regularly climbing rock gardens. A bike that is truly capable on and off-road doesn't really exist but there's a few that come close.

long live the xr650r

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rolo posted:

But yeah, any staple beginner to intermediate adventure bikes?

Moto Guzzi V85TT?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I think the new yam tenere 700 or KTM adventure 790 might be up your alley for middleweight adventure bikes, both can probably get you anywhere you want to go unless you're regularly climbing rock gardens. A bike that is truly capable on and off-road doesn't really exist but there's a few that come close.

long live the xr650r

Super. Sherpa.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Went shopping today and tried on helmets. After trying on a bunch, I think I've settled on an HJC IS MAX II. The shop was selling it for $225, but I've seen it online for cheaper.

I was looking at boots and noticing that the brands they had on hand ran narrow. TCX fit, but wasn't trilled about the options they had. Any recommendations for boots that have a tendency to run wide? I'm looking at cruisers, so a work boot or street shoe look, but leaning towards waterproof over just plain style.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Been sick for a week and it's been raining most of that time, but today the weather cleared up, my sinuses cleared up, and I rode for an hour, mostly on highways. I got a lot of practice loosening my grip and holding on with my knees while dodging potholes and roadkill as the bike bounced along over the weird undulating wavyness common to most roads >5 years old in this hosed region.

Anyway, ride was cool, new helmet is great, bike's good, waving at everyone makes me smile, and I've been learning to zoom away quickly from a stop which feels great. Good end to a lovely week and I've been smiling since I got back.

Knight2m posted:

I was looking at boots and noticing that the brands they had on hand ran narrow. TCX fit, but wasn't trilled about the options they had. Any recommendations for boots that have a tendency to run wide? I'm looking at cruisers, so a work boot or street shoe look, but leaning towards waterproof over just plain style.

I have wide feet and it sucks. Like "it takes 3 or 4 months to break in a pair of docs" sucks. I've got some offbrand low boots that are ok (they'll stay on, they're waterproof, they have ankle armor, but they're not all that comfortable and they look kinda poo poo) and I want better ones but yeah, options seem limited.

I did try on a pair of Johnny Reb timberland knockoffs and they were a nice wide fit and comfortable for me, also apparently waterproof. Wish I'd bought them when I was there even though I'm not a fan of the look. That brand seems to have mostly cruiser styled stuff but some of it looks a bit like it's made for people who are more into leather than riding, if that makes sense.

e: Speaking of boots, does anyone make doc marten looking riding boots?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 27, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Knight2m posted:

Went shopping today and tried on helmets. After trying on a bunch, I think I've settled on an HJC IS MAX II. The shop was selling it for $225, but I've seen it online for cheaper.

Not to be too preachy, but are you saving enough money to be worth it over supporting the shop that helped you find a fitting helmet in the first place?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Toe Rag posted:

Not to be too preachy, but are you saving enough money to be worth it over supporting the shop that helped you find a fitting helmet in the first place?

This. If everyone test fits at a shop and then buys online, soon there won't be any shops to buy helmets at.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I shop bought my first helmet. Glad I did. I wish more shops had XXL sized helmets though in the UK. Going to have to go online soon. Last time just one helmet in the whole shop fit and it was a cheap Nitro one. I want a fancy one, but no shops here carry XXL Arai in store for example.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I shop bought my first helmet. Glad I did. I wish more shops had XXL sized helmets though in the UK. Going to have to go online soon. Last time just one helmet in the whole shop fit and it was a cheap Nitro one. I want a fancy one, but no shops here carry XXL Arai in store for example.

Call ahead and ask them to pull stock in.

Sportsbikeshop will let you do it on their website if you can get to one of their retail stores. I sent £10k worth of gear in multiple sizes to one the other week, spent 1/10th that with no issues or complaints.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

If I need advice on how to spend my money or discussion points on the advantages/disadvantages of brick and mortar vs. online shopping, I'll know where to ask.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's $200 online lmao. Buy it at the shop. they're not a free helmet fitting service. don't get salty

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

e: Speaking of boots, does anyone make doc marten looking riding boots?
Sure, like I have TCX Hero’s and they are doc-ish (the lace-up is kinda fake though, they have zippers on the side for faster access).
I think the recommendation is to be careful with laces as they can catch on your bike and will lead to a hilarious looking but embarrassing 0mph drop of your bike. If you get laces tuck them in pretty good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got lucky with my TCX boots. They were on sale and they fit perfectly around my feet and ankle bits. They lace, which is a pain, but the laces tuck well within stretchiness of my riding pant cuffs so they aren’t visible.

I do want to get the same boots with zips though because actual functional laces are a pain in 2019.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Knight2m posted:

If I need advice on how to spend my money or discussion points on the advantages/disadvantages of brick and mortar vs. online shopping, I'll know where to ask.

You're gonna cope real good the first time you crash and people start telling you why.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Knight2m posted:

Buy a GoPro with the money you saved.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ulf posted:

Sure, like I have TCX Hero’s and they are doc-ish (the lace-up is kinda fake though, they have zippers on the side for faster access).
I think the recommendation is to be careful with laces as they can catch on your bike and will lead to a hilarious looking but embarrassing 0mph drop of your bike. If you get laces tuck them in pretty good.

I tuck my laces like it's a religious ritual because that's the exact kind of stupid poo poo that'd happen to me.

I'll almost certainly need boots that can be adjusted for different fits because my left ankle is full of metal and is a weird shape. Laces work fine for that on most boots even if there's also a zip to make putting them on quicker.

It's not urgent, I've got riding boots, they're good enough, I just don't like them. I want something between docs and mid shin height, is leather, and feels better than "yeah I can tolerate this".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 27, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I tuck my laces like it's a religious ritual because that's the exact kind of stupid poo poo that'd happen to me.

I'll almost certainly need boots that can be adjusted for different fits because my left ankle is full of metal and is a weird shape. Laces work fine for that on most boots even if there's also a zip to make putting them on quicker.

It's not urgent, I've got riding boots, they're good enough, I just don't like them. I want something between docs and mid shin height, is leather, and feels better than "yeah I can tolerate this".

Something like these? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-naxos-boots

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Knight2m posted:

Don't do that kind of poo poo at your local moto store unless you're already spending a bunch of money there on other stuff.

Since this is the new rider thread, here's a brief explanation about why that's not a good thing to do so I'm not just moral dogpiling.
Moto gear needs to fit well, and helmets especially, right? So how do you make sure it fits? Try it on. How do you try it on? You have two options. Option 1: Order the item in which you're interested from Revzilla or Motorcycle Superstore or whatever, in a couple sizes, wait a few days for shipping, keep the one that fits, ship the others back (possibly at extra cost), get refunded for the other stuff. If that works for you, great, do it that way. Option 2: If you're fortunate enough to have a local brick and mortar that sells gear, drop by there on your lunch break or whenever and try it on. Maybe some sales people help you out. If the thing you're interested in doesn't fit, maybe something else there will be. The store will also likely be able to order stuff for you to try on, even if you're not guaranteeing a purchase.
For there to even be an option to try things on with the convenience of a local store, people have to buy gear there. Especially if some staff helps you figure things out. If you waste their time with the intent of buying online, you're taking away business and driving their costs up for the rest of us and diminishing their chances of surviving as a convenient business, into which you can just drop and check out a new pair of gloves or a helmet and have the "does it fit?" question answered that day. Yeah, one person doing this is a fraction of a percent of lost money/time on their part, but with everyone doing it these days, it's a very real reason for businesses to tank.
Furthermore, if you go into a local shop and try stuff on, there are perks that you may find. Like say that pair of nice gloves doesn't fit quite right, but the next model up is perfect and is a little more than you wanted to spend. There's a good chance they'll give you a little discount on them, or a discount on something else like oil. It's happened to me. Maybe you also meet some cool people who are into what you're into, since a lot of shops host bike nights or group rides.
So if you have a local bike gear shop that is convenient and good, give them money so they stay that way.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A+. Exactly what he said. I wish I had more big motorcycle gear brick and mortar shops near me, I’d give them my business in a heartbeat.

As it is, I have to go 1.5hours away to a big shop to try things on (which is where i got my first helmet, summer gloves, jeans), so nowadays I mostly just use Sportsbikeshop.

Once I have my own motorcycle,after I pass my tests, I’ll be using brick and mortar shops more.

I also just got my second helmet, HJC IS-17. Fits my round head well.

Also just got a Weise Outlast Element jacket today. I like it. Lots of pockets and decent big front YKK zip and includes back armour.