Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oko is literally a staple in every format hes legal in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

When the card broke $50, Vintage players had to try it. Them's the rules.

It's also hilarious how this is the second time they've tried to push Brawl and the second time it's been ruined by a broken commander. With Oko doing so much damage to Brawl and Standard and draft being basically somewhere between sealed and block constructed due to the bots, I'm glad I uninstalled Arena and haven't regretted it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

People keep saying this but it doesn't make sense to me. People buy more when they play more. If you lose players to a poo poo format, they might not come back.

I think their calculus was much more about the cost of bans in general and thinking that the format playing out might mean they don't have to ban it and upset people.

They aren't banning him because of money, it's because he's overpowered (the transform has no business being a positive integer) but not unbeatable. People are just dragging their feet at the numerous meta options available

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i know it's kind of early but i feel pretty confident in saying oko is the best planeswalker ever printed

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Late to the party but can you make pioneer murdergoats?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They aren't banning him because of money, it's because he's overpowered (the transform has no business being a positive integer) but not unbeatable. People are just dragging their feet at the numerous meta options available

What are they?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
When is the last time a card was banned in standard modern and legacy?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

AnEdgelord posted:

Oko is literally a staple in every format hes legal in

How long until he becomes staples in formats he’s not legal in?
Can’t wait to see him as a 4-of in 1994, Theros Block Constructed, and Yu-gi-oh’s Unlimited format!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elderspell, Assassin's Trophy, Murderous Rider, Conclave Tribunal, Spark Harvest, Deputy of Detention, Noxious Grasp. Angrath's Rampage

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

neaden posted:

When is the last time a card was banned in standard modern and legacy?

For Standard and Modern, Stoneforge Mystic and Jace The Mind Sculptor, for Modern and Legacy Deathrite Shaman and Gitaxian Probe. Skullclamp was the last card to be banned in Standard, Extended and Legacy but this was before Modern existed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elderspell, Assassin's Trophy, Murderous Rider, Conclave Tribunal, Spark Harvest, Deputy of Detention, Noxious Grasp. Angrath's Rampage

Yeah, there's plenty of answers for Oko, people just don't want to play them. The problem with Field was that there were no answers, and that's not the case with Oko. There's something in that list for every colour. (Green and red only having answers in one colour pair each.)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of answers for Oko, people just don't want to play them. The problem with Field was that there were no answers, and that's not the case with Oko. There's something in that list for every colour. (Green and red only having answers in one colour pair each.)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

No, the problem with Oko is that

+1 posted:

1UG

Creature

Haste

1UG, discard ~ from your hand: Target artifact or creature loses all abilities and becomes a green Elk creature with base power and toughness 3/3. You may play this ability only as a sorcery.

3/3

is pretty close to playable on it's own in Standard, and that's what they're able to be left with after you 1-for-1 it an awful lot of the time.

And that's before talking about Veil of Summer. Still, there is going to be a huge number of Noxious Grasps in the day 2 decks of the MCQW. And Murderous Riders and Vraskas, maybe more Vraskas than Riders because you can play them with Oko much easier. The rest of the cards that you named have structural issues that might prevent them from seeing a ton of play.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 27, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arivia posted:

Field isn't really easily answered but it's something you can get under as an aggressive deck- the oko decks, you can't.

The bigger problem imo is the absolute bonkers support for huge piles of UG greed in standard and it won't go away without a lot of bans.

Also aggro isn't good enough at the moment to check it- most of the good aggro cards in standard are spread thinly along 3-4 colors and the mana isn't there to support it. Mana's amazing if you want to go slow but it sucks when you want to go fast.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

No, the problem with Oko is that

is pretty close to playable on it's own in Standard, and that's what they're able to be left with after you 1-for-1 it an awful lot of the time.

And that's before talking about Veil of Summer. Still, there is going to be a huge number of Noxious Grasps in the day 2 decks of the MCQW. And Murderous Riders and Vraskas, maybe more Vraskas than Riders because you can play them with Oko much easier. The rest of the cards that you named have structural issues that might prevent them from seeing a ton of play.

God, if only. In some games, you get to go T2 Oko on the play and - even if you're packing proper 2 CMC removal like Angrath's - you still have to fight through Wicked Wolves, Voracious Hydras, or a second Oko.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Field isn't really easily answered but it's something you can get under as an aggressive deck- the oko decks, you can't.

The bigger problem imo is the absolute bonkers support for huge piles of UG greed in standard and it won't go away without a lot of bans.

Also aggro isn't good enough at the moment to check it- most of the good aggro cards in standard are spread thinly along 3-4 colors and the mana isn't there to support it. Mana's amazing if you want to go slow but it sucks when you want to go fast.

I don't like aggro but ug is my favourite colour pair so this standard feels great to me

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What is going on with Magic design that we're getting so many bans anyway? How do they keep screwing up this badly since like Eldritch Moon? Frankly there are probably more cards that should have been banned, but more accurately never printed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oko, not just for triggering Oath anymore!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I guess you 10-d the MCQ day 1 with your Oko-beating list, right? I look forward to seeing the decklist.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BizarroAzrael posted:

What is going on with Magic design that we're getting so many bans anyway? How do they keep screwing up this badly since like Eldritch Moon? Frankly there are probably more cards that should have been banned, but more accurately never printed.

Play Design started with Dominaria, so, going from there? Mostly just pushing the power limits of cards in new & interesting ways instead of printing new cards that suck. The problem is just that there's a good goddamn reason Birds isn't legal in Pioneer, and why Elvish Mystic took a years-long vacation from standard:

One-mana accelerants are terrible for play design. Everything wrong with Standard is currently pinned on Gilded Goose, even if it's only the enabler for the bad stuff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

everyone knows that if you spend your turn 3 killing an oko, the game just ends on the spot, with you declared the winner. someone even comes up and gives you a trophy

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Did he cut Black Lotus for the second Oko?

I realize there is probably some kind of logical explanation on why you wouldn't play Lotus in this meta, but that is a really funny look.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

everyone knows that if you spend your turn 3 killing an oko, the game just ends on the spot, with you declared the winner. someone even comes up and gives you a trophy

There are folks who just want to play the clear cut best deck and play the mirror all day.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

I guess you 10-d the MCQ day 1 with your Oko-beating list, right? I look forward to seeing the decklist.

Oh I didn't realize we were just doing a whine fest, my bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hmm, I'm starting to think you don't actually know of any decks with a good Oko matchup!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

Hmm, I'm starting to think you don't actually know of any decks with a good Oko matchup!

No, 2 days into the ban I don't have answers. I was tasked to name cards that deal with Oko, not soothe your ego

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

araeris posted:

Did he cut Black Lotus for the second Oko?

I realize there is probably some kind of logical explanation on why you wouldn't play Lotus in this meta, but that is a really funny look.

https://twitter.com/chubby_rain1/status/1188241426909454336

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You claimed there were numerous "meta options" for beating Oko decks. Did you have so much trouble finding any that you had to backpedal and start naming individual cards instead?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It turns out the best color combination to fight against planeswalker removal happens to be bant. Crazy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's probably deliberate.

There is HEAVY incentive to beat Oko and literally only Oko. If it can be done, it will be done, because 16 of the 2500 players in this Arena qualifier get entry to an immense EV tournament. It's what, 68 players in the Arena MCs for a 750,000 prize pool? That's a lotta goddamn money, and there's a hell of a lot of very similar Oko decks, so many that it's worth targeting Oko and worrying about other decks afterwards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do people that made it to day 2 of the Mythic Qualifier have to play the same deck they played today?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do people that made it to day 2 of the Mythic Qualifier have to play the same deck they played today?

Players must use the same decklist for Day 2 as they used for Day 1. Decklists will be publicly posted prior to the start of Round 1. Players who change their decklist from Day 1 to Day 2 or who change their decklist in between rounds for Day 2 will be disqualified without prize.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lmao that they're still running their tournament through direct challenge

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

You claimed there were numerous "meta options" for beating Oko decks. Did you have so much trouble finding any that you had to backpedal and start naming individual cards instead?

Lol those ARE meta options, dipshit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
:( : "oko is really overpowered, there's actually nothing in the format that can beat oko decks

:butt: : "actually there are numerous meta options, it's just that nobody wants to play them"

:( : "okay, what are these numerous meta options that beat the oko decks?"

:butt: : "it's called a counterspell, go look it up, dipshit"

You're a pedantic idiot.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

:( : "oko is really overpowered, there's actually nothing in the format that can beat oko decks

:butt: : "actually there are numerous meta options, it's just that nobody wants to play them"

:( : "okay, what are these numerous meta options that beat the oko decks?"

:butt: : "it's called a counterspell, go look it up, dipshit"

You're a pedantic idiot.

Lol "what an idiot, he named meta options when someone asked for meta options!!"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Meta options means a deck not individual cards.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the decks that are actually quite good against oko (r/b knights, gruul, g/b adventure) all get their poo poo kicked in by the other green planeswalker with too much loyalty that shits out 3/3s every turn. as much as he's the obnoxious, smug face of standard, oko isn't doing it alone

(also wicked wolf eats those decks for breakfast a lot of the time)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gruul with Embercleave and Jund or Golgari Adventure have decent matchups against Oko but even if they weren't the "well if Oko is so beatable produce a Standard-legal decklist that could Day 2 a MCQ out of your rear end right now to prove it" is a child's argument. No one is saying the card isn't busted, especially in the context of what UG has available, but it's not unbeatable and it's going to take more than 3 days for the format to coalesce around whatever deck ends up being the answer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ungulateman posted:

the decks that are actually quite good against oko (r/b knights, gruul, g/b adventure) all get their poo poo kicked in by the other green planeswalker with too much loyalty that shits out 3/3s every turn. as much as he's the obnoxious, smug face of standard, oko isn't doing it alone

(also wicked wolf eats those decks for breakfast a lot of the time)

This is kinda the thing though. The decks that can beat oko are basically a tossup right now against the other decks that can beat oko decks that don't play Nissa.

So you should just probably get good at winning oko mirrors and play Nissa.