Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I think I'm the only person that reads this thread that isn't triggered by the word Toon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Judgement posted:

"Reset Toon" button. This is violence, to me.

:emptyquote:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm not really into that monster-factory stuff....

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Brave New World posted:

I think I'm the only person that reads this thread that isn't triggered by the word Toon.

I never understood the hate for toon. I even use it to refer to my characters in other mmos.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Everyone knows the right word for a character is Fursona.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Toon is the worst word and people who use it are monsters

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

FrostyPox posted:

I'm glad we are all in agreement.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

FrostyPox posted:

Not an :emptyquote:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Can I use toon to refer to a character that is supposed to be an actual children's animated creation come to life?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Brave New World posted:

When I killed your brother, I posted just... like... this!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It just doesn't make any goddamned sense and I hate it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Toon-hate goes back to what... UO? EQ? I know it predates CoX, because 'toon' actually kind of makes sense, given the framing.

Edit: I think LordSaturn's got it, actually.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 27, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I always heard it was passed down from Toontown Online, but that only came out the year before (2003 to CoH's 2004). I've never heard it outside of CoX

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Firing up my mishtoon for a farm.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

I always heard it was passed down from Toontown Online, but that only came out the year before (2003 to CoH's 2004). I've never heard it outside of CoX

It got used during the WoW beta, Ultima Online before that…

Honestly, unless if you're actually playing a cartoon character, the word just doesn't make sense :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On very rare occasion I might say "roll up a new toon" just because it's a bit faster to say than "roll up a new character" but otherwise I don't use the term and it doesn't bother me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It makes me irrationally angry and I cannot express why

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for calling you Toonmot that one time, all those years back. ;(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

LordSaturn posted:

i've cited this a number of times myself but a year or two ago someone told me it actually predates toontown too. i just can't remember what the hell they said it came from.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Did you know "mob" comes from muds and refers to "mobile entity" and not "a bunch of dudes who want to kill you"

I hate "toon" partly because it just sounds stupid but mostly because like Airspace referenced it makes me think of Roger Rabbit every. loving. time.

I hate toons.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 27, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Funny Bunny gonna bonk some fools.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee posted:

I'm sorry for calling you Toonmot that one time, all those years back. ;(

I know it was done from love

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Toon was used as far back as the original EQ. However, it is definitely something that I feel like you have to be someone's little brother to say.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ali Aces posted:

Did you know "mob" comes from muds and refers to "mobile entity" and not "a bunch of dudes who want to kill you"

Yep! Goes back to MUDs, that one.

Soonmot posted:

I know it was done from love

:glomp:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If im feeling lazy, and dont want to type character, i type char, pronounced mentally as care. "Thats a nice char there, I like the costume!"

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

winterwerefox posted:

i type char, pronounced mentally as care

Truly, we are all mad here.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Hey Doon, your new toon has a great ‘stume my goon

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

City of Titans has good sliders. you cant usually do this kind of build for ladies in anything. it rules

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Sea Lily posted:

City of Titans has good sliders. you cant usually do this kind of build for ladies in anything. it rules

Nice. Tiny hands though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Toon make sense because it's a single syllable word that rolls off the tongue nicely.

You'd think some people would've learned to accept it after 20 years.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Toon make sense because it's a single syllable word that rolls off the tongue nicely.

You'd think some people would've learned to accept it after 20 years.

Never

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I think "avatoon" is a good compromise.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
I thought it was cringey back on live, but now I don’t care what people call it. I call it char and my head canon pronounces it like charmander.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Nice. Tiny hands though.

yeah, i scaled them up but they're still too small. they need to let hands get bigger. wrists don't seem to scale at all yet either which is really weird looking.

work in progress stuff, i'm sure these things will change

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My thoughts on the City of Titans character creator is that it's got good potential. The mass sliders are kind of goofy and allow you to create some real Monster Factory stars by accident very easily. It is an alpha though and if you don't abuse those sliders you can make some fairly normal looking supers. My thoughts are that in the future the should either lock them down, have other sliders move with them to help guide people to more natural looking superhuman physiques or just make them work together better.

The costume stuff is fairly limited as you might expect but their material selection allows for some good creativity. The UI and UX need a lot of work but again, it's alpha. I liked the shelf option (a palette you can save colours and textures to) but I feel they should decouple the texture from it, let you store texture and colour separately, or give some kind of indicator on the preview swatch as to what the texture is. There are no aura effects, except for the full body ones and I couldn't get those to work so I'm not sure if they're actually in our if they're just obtuse to get to display.

You can fiddle around with your facial expression and the shape of your character's mouth by specifying the sound they're making. These sliders are not mutually exclusive, they probably should be, but they're very silly to play around with.

The website to download it could use a better experience, and their downloader was amusingly slow. In Australia I was getting a 34 kbps download rate. They're going to need better servers of they ever want to launch an MMO.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Messed around a bit more with trying to fine tune slider stuff and made a glowy boy. kinda nice to be able to make some good looking faces after CoH's limits and CO's bad base model

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

Funny Bunny gonna bonk some fools.

Nice!

I had something similar back in the day named "Haywire Hare".

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

yeah, i scaled them up but they're still too small. they need to let hands get bigger. wrists don't seem to scale at all yet either which is really weird looking.

work in progress stuff, i'm sure these things will change

i can make a man chased around by dogs with guns but i cant make a child who has super strength because he put on hulk hands? no buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I used the word "mishtoon" in chat recently and nobody in the Goonsquad channel at the time had apparently heard it before.

Young kids today I tell ya.