Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My latest Win10 :iiam: problem: I can't pair a new bluetooth device. Previously paired devices connect and work fine, but when I click the button to search for new devices in Settings nothing happens. No errors being shown in the Event Viewer and restarting the driver didn't help, so I can only assume it's the Settings app itself that hosed up somehow.

The worst thing about the Settings app (aside from how temperamental it can be) is how you can't multitask with it. A close second is all the help/troubleshooting links that are actually just Bing searches, give me a some kind of indicator that it's useless so I don't waste time clicking it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just tried to update Windows and got this error:

UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

What the heck do I have to do? Reformat my hard drives?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just tried to update Windows and got this error:

UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

What the heck do I have to do? Reformat my hard drives?

Yes, or you can boot in Legacy mode and reinstall with no reformat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

redeyes posted:

Yes, or you can boot in Legacy mode and reinstall with no reformat.

Hmm. So, I'll get the windows media creation thing on a USB drive and then .... Reboot the comp and tell it to run in legacy mode off of the drive? Or is this something I can tell it to do in the BIOS?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you're doing a clean install, you should absolutely boot in UEFI mode (like you did) and convert (this erases all data) your disk to GPT format. Windows boots quicker that way, and there's a few nifty extra features, like booting directly to Bios from Windows.

Just execute these steps:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lambert posted:

If you're doing a clean install, you should absolutely boot in UEFI mode (like you did) and convert (this erases all data) your disk to GPT format. Windows boots quicker that way, and there's a few nifty extra features, like booting directly to Bios from Windows.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

Thank you sir, will do.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

isndl posted:

A close second is all the help/troubleshooting links that are actually just Bing searches, give me a some kind of indicator that it's useless so I don't waste time clicking it, thanks.

Lol tbh I would be embarrassed if my OS did this

I also dislike that ”function", were they just hoping Reddit would solve the issues and pop first or something

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's still more useful than a "need more help with this?" link that just dumps you to the frontpage of MS support, which my win8 netbook loves to dupe me with.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lambert posted:

Thanks Lambert! Just did and everything seems a-okay. I was nervous as heck but the steps you provided worked.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Windows Update wants to install display drivers on several of my machines. Anyone know if something has been fixed that would lead to AMD, Intel, etc, to push out new display drivers at the same time? Because I can't find any news about it.

The last few times Win10's updater installed new drivers, it hosed the computer up. So I'm not going to trust it blindly.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I recently installed AVG on Win 10, ran a scan and it found 1 possibly infected file, an (or maybe the only?) SVCHost. I impulsively quarantined it in a second, knowing it was a system file, thinking it would probably be fine, and if not a safe boot or at worst system repair would fix things. Got a bluescreen a few seconds later, and on every normal startup thereafter. Even booting to safemode and repairing the system didn't work, claimed there were no integrity violations (lol). Saw two approaches: 1. Download and replace the SVChost, after finding which one(s) needed it. 2. Restore from a recent Acronis backup. Went with #2.

Switched to Bitdefender as free AV now. It really shouldn't be that easy to break a Win10 system. Worst 1 second thought mistake I've made in a long time. Both AVG and Microsoft can do better than that. Looks like a false positive anyways as Bitdefender found nothing.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 26, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eregos posted:

I recently installed AVG on Win 10, ran a scan and it found 1 possibly infected file, an (or maybe the only?) SVCHost. I impulsively quarantined it in a second, knowing it was a system file, thinking it would probably be fine, and if not a safe boot or at worst system repair would fix things. Got a bluescreen a few seconds later, and on every normal startup thereafter. Even booting to safemode and repairing the system didn't work, claimed there were no integrity violations (lol). Saw two approaches: 1. Download and replace the SVChost, after finding which one(s) needed it. 2. Restore from a recent Acronis backup. Went with #2.

Switched to Bitdefender as free AV now. It really shouldn't be that easy to break a Win10 system. Worst 1 second thought mistake I've made in a long time. Both AVG and Microsoft can do better than that. Looks like a false positive anyways as Bitdefender found nothing.

Uninstall BitDefender and just use the built-in antivirus.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Eregos posted:

You installed a crappy third party antivirus, it hosed your system up and you blame Microsoft for it. Nah, I don't think this one's on Redmond. There's a reason nobody recommends anything other than Windows' built-in antivirus these days

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eregos posted:

You're right. Microsoft could absolutely do better by blocking third party antivirus programs, but people like you would be wining about that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I thought it was common knowledge that third party AV is practically adware now.

Just use Windows defender etc.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
My friend has been complaining about intermittent blue screens for a few months and yesterday he mentioned AVG was blocking a Windows update for him.

Again, I thought it was pretty common knowledge anti-viruses are a poo poo show and AVG is basically as bad as one itself but apparently not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I had to remove AVG from my dad's computer and laptop a while back because it was being a pain in the rear end. Recently I found that he installed McAfee instead ( :suicide: ), despite trying to explain that the Windows Defender built into Windows is sufficient.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is some insanely bad advice still floating around that went out of date in the XP days, so don't underestimate what people will still recommend.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There is some insanely bad advice still floating around that went out of date in the XP days, so don't underestimate what people will still recommendGeekSquad will still sell.

FTFY

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My one complaint about defender is that I have only seen it detect one file, but I could not find a way to tell the drat thing to just skip the file and leave it alone. It was a poorly made spreadsheet from a decade ago that an instructor posted, and I could not figure out how to tell defender that I actually wanted to accept the risks and open the file. I would try to replicate the problem, but I no longer have access to the sketchy file.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Crotch Fruit posted:

My one complaint about defender is that I have only seen it detect one file, but I could not find a way to tell the drat thing to just skip the file and leave it alone. It was a poorly made spreadsheet from a decade ago that an instructor posted, and I could not figure out how to tell defender that I actually wanted to accept the risks and open the file. I would try to replicate the problem, but I no longer have access to the sketchy file.

Is telling the instructor that their file is throwing virus warnings on any up-to-date system and that they should fix the spreadsheet not an option? Especially if campus computers also complain.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Surely you can convert from mbr to gpt. My windows 10 is a double-cloned Vista install upgraded step by step to 10. Now with uefi, gpt and bells and whistles without reformat.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

isndl posted:

Is telling the instructor that their file is throwing virus warnings on any up-to-date system and that they should fix the spreadsheet not an option? Especially if campus computers also complain.

Was the class about IT security and the sketchy spreadsheet part of the lesson?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

Surely you can convert from mbr to gpt. My windows 10 is a double-cloned Vista install upgraded step by step to 10. Now with uefi, gpt and bells and whistles without reformat.

You can, but it's a pretty involved process. If you're reinstalling anyways, easiest to simply convert the drive to GPT using diskpart during installation - erasing all data.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can just use MBR2GPT /allowFullOS on the disk Windows is running on (at your own risk).

Of course you will have to use EFI after you reboot so if there's a problem with that you're screwed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 27, 2019

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

mystes posted:

You're right. Microsoft could absolutely do better by blocking third party antivirus programs, but people like you would be wining about that.

That's an understandable sentiment, but I'm amused by it because that chain of events only happened because I followed this forum's recommendation to pick a respected free AV to begin with, after using Nod32 for years with no issues. Windows Defender has only recently become decent enough to be relied on, according to reviews. I didn't pick it because it's still bare bones in terms of features. Given the pattern with Microsoft, it's a decent bet they will gently caress up Windows Defender somehow, then suddenly the in-forum consensus becomes everyone who wasn't instantly dialed in and switched to a 3rd party AV immediately is the sole party at fault. Bonus points if Microsoft follows the advice of banning 3rd party ones beforehand to exacerbate the situation.

Still pleased with the advice I've gotten here overall, though, or I wouldn't come back. But I should've looked at more recent reviews of AVG, I was relying on past experience of it working well many years ago.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

OK, I'm trying to help my dad update his work computers to Windows 10. He's got a Windows 7 license on both of these computers from the OEM (HP and Dell FWIW). Is the only way to upgrade to legit, never-gonna-bitch-about-activation Windows 10 on there to buy a license? If so, I'm guessing I'll be even happier if we just go Pro > Pro, Home > Home, or could I go Home > Pro or Pro > Home?

mystes
May 31, 2006

nitsuga posted:

OK, I'm trying to help my dad update his work computers to Windows 10. He's got a Windows 7 license on both of these computers from the OEM (HP and Dell FWIW). Is the only way to upgrade to legit, never-gonna-bitch-about-activation Windows 10 on there to buy a license? If so, I'm guessing I'll be even happier if we just go Pro > Pro, Home > Home, or could I go Home > Pro or Pro > Home?
Just run the media creation tool from within windows. It will upgrade to Windows 10 and you don't need a new license.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

Just run the media creation tool from within windows. It will upgrade to Windows 10 and you don't need a new license.

Cool! I wondered if that was still a possibility. Worst case he can just pay up I suppose.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Eregos posted:

That's an understandable sentiment, but I'm amused by it because that chain of events only happened because I followed this forum's recommendation to pick a respected free AV to begin with, after using Nod32 for years with no issues. Windows Defender has only recently become decent enough to be relied on, according to reviews. I didn't pick it because it's still bare bones in terms of features. Given the pattern with Microsoft, it's a decent bet they will gently caress up Windows Defender somehow, then suddenly the in-forum consensus becomes everyone who wasn't instantly dialed in and switched to a 3rd party AV immediately is the sole party at fault. Bonus points if Microsoft follows the advice of banning 3rd party ones beforehand to exacerbate the situation.

Still pleased with the advice I've gotten here overall, though, or I wouldn't come back. But I should've looked at more recent reviews of AVG, I was relying on past experience of it working well many years ago.

Don't listen to idiots that recommend AV software. And Windows Defender has been great since it was called MS Security Essentials in like 2009 (which is the point in time when third-party AV became "no longer recommended") to any reasonable person.

"In the wild" lists used for comparisons are mostly bullshit anyways, and an AV is a last line of defense, so small differences in detection accuracy didn't matter before Defender became the best.

And no, Defender isn't barebones - it has tons of advanced features no other AV has, like folder protection. What it doesn't have is meaningless bling, like horrible browser extensions that degrade the encryption level. Or Kaspersky's "let any random website track you unique ID injected via JS".

If you want additional protection, enable detection of potentially unwanted applications (puaprotection) and network protection to block dangerous URLs.

There's never going to be a point in time where any of the usual third-party snake-oil becomes "recommended". They're all horrible garbage that open up security flaws on the regular or, at best, only hose your system.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 27, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lambert posted:

There's never going to be a point in time where any of the usual third-party snake-oil becomes "recommended". They're all horrible garbage that open up security flaws on the regular or, at best, only hose your system.
And how exactly would Defender be excluded from that? If you were to believe Microsoft, there's an internal mandate for years now to only use public APIs and no undocumented ones. If that applies to Defender, it'd be using the same APIs that third parties would. Considering the various fires all over Windows lately, I'd be cautious.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

And how exactly would Defender be excluded from that? If you were to believe Microsoft, there's an internal mandate for years now to only use public APIs and no undocumented ones. If that applies to Defender, it'd be using the same APIs that third parties would. Considering the various fires all over Windows lately, I'd be cautious.
Gee I don't know, maybe Defender doesn't do stuff like MITM web traffic, install browser toolbars, or monkeypatch the kernel in the first place?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
MSE/Defender became the best Windows antivirus at pretty much the millisecond it was first released in 2009, and it's hard to install a Windows that doesn't come with it at this point, why would you expend effort to disable it and install an inferior product?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Listen man, I like X so you better loving like X too, don't you dare use Y. Don't you dare.

VLC? Don't you Dare.
7-zip? DON'T YOU DARE!
IrfanView? DON'T EVEN loving KID ABOUT USING ANYTHING BUT THIS I SAID DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!!!!!!!
KeePass? etc.

BTW Windows Defender isn't all that great. Bad performance because literally no caching thus it will constantly scan the same files over and over every time you open a folder for example.

Obtuse and hidden settings that are only accessibility with PowerShell, giving the user almost no control over how it works, hope you like your definition updates updating 5+ times a day.

And they usually top the charts with the most false positives, so congrats to them on that achievement!

And wasn't it a few weeks ago that they broke their own scanning, like kinda the point of an AV...

Not saying 3rd party is the way to go, but MS will never do something better then a 3rd party, ever.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 27, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Listen man, I like X so you better loving like X too, don't you dare use Y. Don't you dare.

VLC? Don't you Dare.
7-zip? DON'T YOU DARE!
IrfanView? DON'T EVEN loving KID ABOUT USING ANYTHING BUT THIS I SAID DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!!!!!!!
KeePass? etc.

BTW Windows Defender isn't all that great. Bad performance because literally no caching thus it will constantly scan the same files over and over every time you open a folder for example.

Obtuse and hidden settings that are only accessibility with PowerShell, giving the user almost no control over how it works, hope you like your definition updates updating 5+ times a day.

And they usually top the charts with the most false positives, so congrats to them on that achievement!

And wasn't it a few weeks ago that they broke their own scanning, like kinda the point of an AV...

Not saying 3rd party is the way to go, but MS will never do something better then a 3rd party, ever.

Uh huh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

And how exactly would Defender be excluded from that?

It's a core component of Windows instead of a random third party.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

It's a core component of Windows instead of a random third party.
So? What makes Microsoft's code so much better than a third party ones?

I mean, I'm using Defender myself. But this claiming absolute superiority in the face of all the other bushfires that are happening all over the operating system, it's a bit stupid. If the Defender team has to work with the same infrastructure as the rest of them, I don't see what makes it better outright because ~*~Microsoft~*~.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You'd think MS would know their own OS better than 3rd parties.

We use MSE at work, but my boss is really pushing us to move to Cisco AMP. Anyone have any experience?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As said earlier, a few years ago, the devs at Microsoft were supposed to stop creating and/or using undocumented APIs. So the Defender developers have to work with the same interfaces as third parties. How valuable access to the Windows source code is, is rather dubious. And the few things Im_Special linked above, not everything's all sunshine over there, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
mystes literally said "Gee I don't know, maybe Defender doesn't do stuff like MITM web traffic, install browser toolbars, or monkeypatch the kernel in the first place?" This has nothing to do with what APIs AV scanners are using, it's about how third party AVs are clearly making your security and privacy worse in every way possible for a trickle of revenue (or worse selling your browsing history).