Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000498133.pdf
It's probably still outdated science (and comes with a bunch of data sourcing caveats) but at least this is an actual CIA report.

Third paragraph of the preface- it's not measuring their diet, it's measuring their food supply, with massive limitations as a result., particularly in the lossiness of the Soviet distribution system (there were also internal reporting problems in the USSR that don't appear to be addressed here).

Also,

Nosfereefer posted:

The Forum Propaganda Authority just told you to delete it from your memory. Please don't contaminate our feeble minds with this obvious Psy-Ops anymore :ohdear:

gently caress off. This has nothing to do with propaganda (though this was a source of some problems in intra-soviet nutrition reporting). It's an incorrect, poorly anchored belief that spreads because it has counterintuitive appeal and a source that appears credible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Dxracer chairs and their ilk are overpriced garbage and you're far better off buying a refurbed Steelcase or Hermann Miller off ebay

I went to Ikea and sat in display chairs until I found one I liked.

It was like $30.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I went to Ikea and sat in display chairs until I found one I liked.

It was like $30.

Congrats on your basic back.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Who do I believe: The CIA report produced by experts in the field doing careful research or the random forums poster repeating cold war propaganda.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You do realise that not only is the CIA literally in the business of producing Cold War propaganda but it's turned out they were and probably still are involved in child sex trafficking among other things, and in general have a record that should make you suspicious of the CIA telling you the sky is blue?

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Standing by for the CIA report on the sky being blue for maximum hilarity.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You do realise that not only is the CIA literally in the business of producing Cold War propaganda but it's turned out they were and probably still are involved in child sex trafficking among other things, and in general have a record that should make you suspicious of the CIA telling you the sky is blue?

sir this is the retail collapse thread

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do they at least have gaming chairs 0

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lambert posted:

Who do I believe: The CIA report produced by experts in the field doing careful research or the random forums poster repeating cold war propaganda.

My point was that the CIA report itself doesn't make the claim that the Reuters reprint was saying - they begin by saying they only actually have hard numbers on food supply, not diet. It was clear something was off was visible from the baseline claims if you're familiar with the subject matter. For example, the Reuters summary says "the average Soviet citizen consumes 3280 calories a day, compared to 3520 calories for the American. NHANES data from ~2000 breaks down American caloric intake on a bunch of levels, and none of their categories go over about 2700. Some people absolutely consume that amount of food- athletes and people with metabolic disorders and goons- but it's not the national average.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 27, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All of that is addressed in the report. That Reuters data is taken directly from the CIA report (and I'd assume at least their table on page 15 for the US should be pretty accurate, even if you doubt their Soviet measurements).

The difference is in the way it is measured: They're estimating about a 200 to 400 calories difference between measurement of nutrient levels in the food supply and in the food as ingested. That gets you right to the recommended 2850 calories per day.

They even state that the Soviet food supply has long been adequate from a nutritional point of view. The report seems sound and makes sense.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 27, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Big K of Justice posted:

Check Craigslist and FB Marketplace for the guys who refurbish/sell used Herman Miller Aerons, look for a size C [they make the chairs in A, B and C, size C is an oversized model built for big/wide guys and they have many adjustments]. That should be in the $250-400 range used. They'll last 10-20 years and if anything wears out its easy to get replacement parts for them.

My Aeron chair was free from work and it doesn't have headrest and holy poo poo I wish I had one.

But it is built to last.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of that "a soviet citizen started crying when they saw a US grocery story" stuff is the result of a game of Telephone anyway. It originated from Boris Yeltsin's trip to a US grocery store in the 1980s, he didn't cry but was like "there's a lot more food and less waiting here, is this for real?" The people in the USSR weren't starving at the time, they just didn't have a crazy amount of choices for food.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

QuarkJets posted:

All of that "a soviet citizen started crying when they saw a US grocery story" stuff is the result of a game of Telephone anyway. It originated from Boris Yeltsin's trip to a US grocery store in the 1980s, he didn't cry but was like "there's a lot more food and less waiting here, is this for real?" The people in the USSR weren't starving at the time, they just didn't have a crazy amount of choices for food.

The gamut of choice is one of the good & bad signs of capitalism, due to excess of commodities etc. I used to know someone who lived behind the so-called Iron Curtain, now deceased, who said that his original impression was that it was impressive, but then he realised that making up his mind was really difficult. Heck, I even had a young coworker from France say the same thing; I've lived there and French grocery stores don't have 15 varieties of the same poo poo apart from wine, not surprisingly. He was a vegetarian, though, and he did like the huge range of veggie options in the US.

I wish that I had saved this article, but I found a poll where they asked Russians of appropriate age whether they felt that they were better or worse off under communism, and I was amazed by how many said yes. I assumed that a sizable minority would, but it was waaaay more than I expected and I already presume that everything that I ever hear about the USSR from the Western perspective is blatant propaganda.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There are too many kinds of yogurt.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beachcomber posted:

There are too many of the same flavours of yogurt

:hmmyes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Beachcomber posted:

There are too many kinds of yogurt.

Yogurt is bourgeois, rice pudding is the dairy-based dessert of the common man

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lambert posted:

All of that is addressed in the report. That Reuters data is taken directly from the CIA report (and I'd assume at least their table on page 15 for the US should be pretty accurate, even if you doubt their Soviet measurements).

The difference is in the way it is measured: They're estimating about a 200 to 400 calories difference between measurement of nutrient levels in the food supply and in the food as ingested. That gets you right to the recommended 2850 calories per day.

They even state that the Soviet food supply has long been adequate from a nutritional point of view. The report seems sound and makes sense.

That's...not...what I am saying. They are using food supply measures. They are not measuring diet. They cannot accurately estimate diet from the sources they are using. They acknowledge this, then speculate.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

dairy-based desert

actually it's called Wisconsin

e: ooh, quick edit there

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I think it makes more sense to say that instead of capitalism having "too much choice" it has "too much meaningless choice." to take a really dumb example, your grocery store cereal isle has tons of practically identical flavored corn product. If you were to reduce the isle to only things that have a meaningful difference, you'd have, I dunno, 5 to 10 different boxes to choose from.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I wish that I had saved this article, but I found a poll where they asked Russians of appropriate age whether they felt that they were better or worse off under communism, and I was amazed by how many said yes. I assumed that a sizable minority would, but it was waaaay more than I expected and I already presume that everything that I ever hear about the USSR from the Western perspective is blatant propaganda.

Who wrote a poll where the possible answers to that question were "better off", "worse off" and "yes"?

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

QuarkJets posted:

Who wrote a poll where the possible answers to that question were "better off", "worse off" and "yes"?

Who let you grow into this much of a tedious pedant instead of smothering you in your crib

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

extremely online posted:

Who let you grow into this much of a tedious pedant instead of smothering you in your crib

Have you ever actually read the kind of "polls" that frequently get conducted? The questions are often that stupid, poorly written, or outright bias the answers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

USSR citizens cry when they go to bestbuy and see the selection of gaming chairs.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudanonymous posted:

Have you ever actually read the kind of "polls" that frequently get conducted? The questions are often that stupid, poorly written, or outright bias the answers.

I am not interested in participating in your roleplay where we both pretend that's why the other poster said the word "yes."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

BrokenGameboy posted:

I think it makes more sense to say that instead of capitalism having "too much choice" it has "too much meaningless choice." to take a really dumb example, your grocery store cereal isle has tons of practically identical flavored corn product. If you were to reduce the isle to only things that have a meaningful difference, you'd have, I dunno, 5 to 10 different boxes to choose from.

I throw away literally thousands and thousands of dollars in perishable goods every month that absolutely do not, will not sell at our location, because corporate mandates we carry X product and if they do an audit and we don't have X product on the shelf, someone will get a bitchy email.

Sometimes we mark it down and it moves at the last minute; often, it does not.

Sometimes we get stuff that expired at the loving warehouse and they spend time, money and fuel to ship us a product that we throw straight into the dumpster.

Peak retail is when the stuff we have 'in the back' ages out and has to be thrown away because corporate does not give stores enough man hours to effectively manage their inventories.

There are products we are forbidden to mark down under any circumstance, one such product being finned fish. Why? Because if we mark it down, people will know it isn't fresh!

We're four hours from the loving sea, they know it ain't fresh. Straight into trash, go go dumpster tuna.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Retail Collapse 2019: We're four hours from the loving sea, they know it ain't fresh. Straight into trash, go go dumpster tuna.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

overmind2000 posted:

Retail Collapse 2019: We're four hours from the loving sea, they know it ain't fresh. Straight into trash, go go dumpster tuna.

Seems a bit wordy.

overmind2000 posted:

Retail Collapse 2019: go go dumpster tuna.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dameius posted:

Seems a bit wordy.

Yeah that one works better

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

extremely online posted:

What's it like getting this mad over someone making a joke on a dying comedy web site's forums

It must be exhausting

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

go go dumpster tuna.

I need 5 icthyoids devalued

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

overmind2000 posted:

go go dumpster tuna.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yesterday, we got in a side of filet mignon.

We did not order filet mignon. We do not sell filet mignon at this location. The warehouse sent it to us by accident, a mis-pick someone gave us by accident. Fifty pounds of it. Cost to customer is roughly sixteen dollars per-pound. Even if we reduce it, we'll be lucky to sell half of it.

Despite it being an item we did not order and do not sell, it will be counted against our shrink ( items discarded, 'lost', etc ).

This is not uncommon, across every department.

Sometimes it's stuff left-over when we 'reset' the shelves. Shelf-space is a precious commodity and when we bring in new products, old products gotta go. But if they're not bad, what happens to them? In theory, we're supposed to donate them (or throw them away). In practice, they sit around in the back and take up space until someone can get off their rear end and toss them into the dumpster.

Much the same happens with those items we get by mistake. Some departments have more latitude to sell things they're not 'supposed' to have, but often, there's literally nowhere to put them even if we did want to sell them. So we throw them away.

And the only thing that comes out of this is that it makes our shrink go up, so the affected departments get less man hours, and the people at the bottom get less money at the end of the week.

The organic 'push' is especially killing a lot of perishable departments. It's trendy and vital toward projecting the image of healthy and new and cool and we throw away massive amounts of it. Turns out not a lot of people want to pay fourteen dollars for a tray of organic cutlets when 90% of our business comes from EBT.

Anyone that wants to sit there and wring their hands about how we can't possibly feed every hungry American when we put so much time and effort into supplying stores with massive amounts of food they simply display and throw away can suck-start an elephant's rear end in a top hat.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BrokenGameboy posted:

I'd prefer to have lots of choice, including meaningless stupid ones, instead of not much choice at all.

Though I also enjoy shopping at Costco so maybe I just don't know myself very well

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
It's rough. I went it to Walgreens the other day to get some face cream. I do need a specific kind for medical reasons but it's fairly common. You can get it in two packs from Costco. Anyway, their isle of creams was almost empty. I don't know what was going on but there was literally one product for every six empty spaces and they didn't have the one I needed. The price label was there but the space was empty. So I ordered from Amazon. This particular situation might be an outlier but I think it's difficult balancing options and cost of keeping things on the shelves. I just wish Amazon could share some of it's wealth with the warehouse people and delivery contractors.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Costco is good to go to when you know what you want and is something that is fine to be bought in bulk, otherwise I just end up taking home a full cart of candies, snacks and other dumb things.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yesterday, we got in a side of filet mignon.

We did not order filet mignon. We do not sell filet mignon at this location. The warehouse sent it to us by accident, a mis-pick someone gave us by accident. Fifty pounds of it. Cost to customer is roughly sixteen dollars per-pound. Even if we reduce it, we'll be lucky to sell half of it.

Despite it being an item we did not order and do not sell, it will be counted against our shrink ( items discarded, 'lost', etc ).

This is not uncommon, across every department.

Sometimes it's stuff left-over when we 'reset' the shelves. Shelf-space is a precious commodity and when we bring in new products, old products gotta go. But if they're not bad, what happens to them? In theory, we're supposed to donate them (or throw them away). In practice, they sit around in the back and take up space until someone can get off their rear end and toss them into the dumpster.

Much the same happens with those items we get by mistake. Some departments have more latitude to sell things they're not 'supposed' to have, but often, there's literally nowhere to put them even if we did want to sell them. So we throw them away.

And the only thing that comes out of this is that it makes our shrink go up, so the affected departments get less man hours, and the people at the bottom get less money at the end of the week.

The organic 'push' is especially killing a lot of perishable departments. It's trendy and vital toward projecting the image of healthy and new and cool and we throw away massive amounts of it. Turns out not a lot of people want to pay fourteen dollars for a tray of organic cutlets when 90% of our business comes from EBT.

Anyone that wants to sit there and wring their hands about how we can't possibly feed every hungry American when we put so much time and effort into supplying stores with massive amounts of food they simply display and throw away can suck-start an elephant's rear end in a top hat.

It really pisses me off that all you hear about waste are "people don't like ugly fruits!!" when systemic poo poo like this goes on.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
This is one of the reasons why eggs in america are washed and lose their protective layer hence they have to be refrigerated unlike elsewhere where eggs are not normally refrigerated. Well, that and not keeping chicken pens clean and free of disease.

If an egg is not pristine clean to an American it must be bad.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I thought the problem in America wasn’t that poor people go hungry, it was that poor people get too fat from not exercising and eating unhealthy convenience food.

The prescription often given to this problem is increasing poor people’s access to fresh, “less-processed”, (also less shelf-stable) foods, but as you said, this increases food waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We produce enough food to feed everyone in the world but there’s no money in feeding the poor.