Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

Because that's where a lot of our pre existing infastructure that supports our housing is, people like to see what's going on around them, and in a world that is going to be increasingly prone to unpredictable flooding, putting everything underground would be a recipe for mass deaths which, while environmentally an extremely good thing, would be considered a human catastrophe.

Admittedly a lot depends on local geology and new tech, but environmentally it could be a boon as underground you have pretty much a near constant temperature and you could turn topside into a mostly green space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Exioce posted:

Gen X, thankyouverymuch.

Natural light is great, but we're at the point now where we can generate that indoors artificially. I'm not suggesting we live some kind of Morlock existence forevermore, but it theoretically gives everyone the living space they need/want.

Here we see Exioce relaxing in his bed, with simulated natural vistas projected on the underground room walls.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fallout Vaults are not meant to be pro-subterranean living, even without practicality of airflow, flood, seismic movement, fires, or psychology of people in close spaces over time

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1187787622682431489

Key point:

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1187787988455100421

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I have skin so pale goths envy me. A few minutes in the sun and I burn to a crisp. That said, I'd rather not have the severe vitamin D deficiency that comes with staying out of natural daylight for extended periods thank you.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
There's plenty of space to build houses and it'd be orders of magnitude cheaper to just build more houses above ground and build more and better transport and services infrastructure

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897514&userid=41639

People have very short memories.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1188387687486631938?s=20

Imagine taking a picture of someone sleeping on the train. loving hell.

I rather doubt the part of the country he was travelling to was cheering on England against the All Blacks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Exioce posted:

Admittedly a lot depends on local geology and new tech, but environmentally it could be a boon as underground you have pretty much a near constant temperature and you could turn topside into a mostly green space.
There is an ecosystem of underground life that would definitely be even more destroyed than it's already getting if you did this, and if you want people to keep eating like they do, 'topside' is still largely going to be (environmentally devastating) agriculture, like it is today. Please do not say this is replicable with aeroponics or some other sci fi shite.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

There is an ecosystem of underground life that would definitely be even more destroyed than it's already getting if you did this, and if you want people to keep eating like they do, 'topside' is still largely going to be (environmentally devastating) agriculture, like it is today. Please do not say this is replicable with aeroponics or some other sci fi shite.

Underground at depth is bugs, hardly devastating environmentally. And we're approaching the point where artificial meat is become viable cost-wise. It's not as sci-fi an idea as it once was.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I have skin so pale goths envy me. A few minutes in the sun and I burn to a crisp. That said, I'd rather not have the severe vitamin D deficiency that comes with staying out of natural daylight for extended periods thank you.

You live in the UK, this is already the case.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jBrereton posted:

My friend, what if I told you you could eat near-adequate simulacra of all your favourite "real" foods through the photophobic wonder of mycoprotein?

e:

This is already a problem people living in Arctic regions face, thanks to the long polar night. Fortunately most people in the Arctic have a traditional diet with lots of fatty fish, seal and whale meat, and reindeer, which all are rich in vitamin D. I've seen a study that in some aspects the greater variety in foods now available in those regions has in some aspects led to worse health outcomes thanks to eating less of those meats and more lamb or chicken or whatever else that doesn't contain much of the vitamin. Of course now you can also take dietary supplements, which lots of people do, and if you visit an Arctic town you'll probably see a lot of tanning salons and even "daylight rooms" where you can sit in an extremely brightly lit room for half an hour or so to simulate sunlight. Supposedly this helps with SAD.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 27, 2019

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pesmerga posted:

It really demonstrates that Corbyn and the leadership only follow the ‘we listen to the membership and they determine our policies when it suits us’ approach that they criticised in previous leaderships.
It's back to the liberal democratic approach of democracy as legitimation, not as policy-setting. Disappointing but not unexpected. There's no accountability to the membership except by elections, and who would be able to stand opposite the current leadership? For sure, it's not going to be anyone more left wing or more responsive to democracy, given that democracy is what Corbyn's supposed to be all about!

There needs to at least be some dialogue and discussion with the membership about what's politically feasible (gnnnnh) given the policies the membership want to set, or they'll keep on doing this - big energizing vote on something that'll never be attempted, then nothing happens (or the opposite thing happens).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Exioce posted:

Underground at depth is bugs, hardly devastating environmentally.
lol why would soil nutrition and aeration matter ok friend

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bugs are very important for the environment.

Except wasps. Wasps are bastards.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I know there's a political cartoon thread floating around somewhere, but I had to comment on just how much is going on here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2019/oct/25/martin-rowson-on-boris-johnsons-push-for-an-election-cartoon

The broken queen, the broken ditch digging shovel, the deflated blow up Kuenssberg doll, a red eyed Cummings looking at what appears to be a pig related version of Grindr, The sly look on Corbyn's face...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Exioce posted:

Natural light is great, but we're at the point now where we can generate that indoors artificially.

...no? not unless you're using an extremely loose definition of the word "natural"

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Julio Cruz posted:

...no? not unless you're using an extremely loose definition of the word "natural"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ4TJ4-kkDw

Looks pretty legit to me. Coupled with some heat generation, I wouldn't know the difference.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

CGI Stardust posted:

It's back to the liberal democratic approach of democracy as legitimation, not as policy-setting. Disappointing but not unexpected. There's no accountability to the membership except by elections, and who would be able to stand opposite the current leadership? For sure, it's not going to be anyone more left wing or more responsive to democracy, given that democracy is what Corbyn's supposed to be all about!

There needs to at least be some dialogue and discussion with the membership about what's politically feasible (gnnnnh) given the policies the membership want to set, or they'll keep on doing this - big energizing vote on something that'll never be attempted, then nothing happens (or the opposite thing happens).

it's the manufacture of consent all the way down. If Conference is a blank slate then it just opens the door to meta-parties to manufacture their own outcomes

internal party democracy in a liberal society is like that - parties are opt-in voluntary associations, not federations of worker's councils encompassing whole industries without exception. Exit, not voice, is the primary constraint on membership loyalty. Parties are successful if the way they reward persistently lobbying for a particular outcome within their party is also in some way contributing to its wider success in the electorate, not just the selectorate. And success is measured in the same way in both: a willingness to stand up and be counted

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 27, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

Unless you're using a 16th century Papal definition of the word "natural" where light redirected by a mirror or lens is no longer of nature and subject to distortion by the devil, it's pretty easy to get natural light underground.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ronya posted:

it's the manufacture of consent all the way down. If Conference is a blank slate then it just open the door to meta-parties to manufacture their own outcomes

internal party democracy in a liberal society is like that - parties are opt-in voluntary associations, not federations of worker's councils encompassing whole industries without exception. Exit, not voice, is the primary constraint on membership loyalty. Parties are successful if the way they reward persistently lobbying for a particular outcome within their party is also in some way contributing to its wider success in the electorate, not just the selectorate

Which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, as some maintenance of party discipline and messaging is important, but if you’re going to pull the whole ‘I am just the spokesman for policies created by our members, and this time will be different’, you look worse when doing what the old guard were doing, particularly when they were quite open about it rather than hiding behind ‘membership decision making’ when it suited them.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

RottenK posted:

did she even do anything or is this another episode of accusing anyone who criticises israel or agrees that palestine exists of being turbohitler

Said a bunch of homophobic nonsense and ran against Naz Shah in 2017 for Respect.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Exioce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ4TJ4-kkDw

Looks pretty legit to me. Coupled with some heat generation, I wouldn't know the difference.
Buddy I have some marketing videos to show you about walls made from help that will blow your mind if you do absolutely no research into the problems of hempen walls or why they are not used at present.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Your skin still needs the D.

Having entire houses underground very much seems like The Bad™ to me, but I'm still puzzled by why UK houses don't tend to have basements.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Unless you're using a 16th century Papal definition of the word "natural" where light redirected by a mirror or lens is no longer of nature and subject to distortion by the devil, it's pretty easy to get natural light underground.

All well and good until the pipes get clogged and you get a dangerous photon buildup

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Having entire houses underground very much seems like The Bad™ to me, but I'm still puzzled by why UK houses don't tend to have basements.
Because we live in a flood prone country and they are difficult to get right when the benefits can mostly be replicated with a shed, which any cackhanded layman can put up from a flat pack.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Pesmerga posted:

Which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, as some maintenance of party discipline and messaging is important, but if you’re going to pull the whole ‘I am just the spokesman for policies created by our members, and this time will be different’, you look worse when doing what the old guard were doing, particularly when they were quite open about it rather than hiding behind ‘membership decision making’ when it suited them.

Well - if we can agree that it is not a feasible goal, then promises of that nature can be classed under "politicians gonna politician" - disappointing but not unexpected, as CGI Stardust remarked...

really, it takes a committed level of gullibility to sincerely fall for CLPD-flavoured rhetoric in 2019 - one has to go into it knowing that Conference is home to faction machination and committee dark arts, not a Norman Rockwell town hall. And consider that the left is really the last group one can expect to hold process, rather than outcomes, as sacrosanct... people believe sincerely in their preferred outcomes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You do see them a lot among terraced townhouses of a certain age (late Georgian through to Edwardian mostly) in cities, and in houses that were also shops in towns and villages.

They stopped them entirely post WWI (outside of London I guess) because they're expensive to excavate and tank.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

BBC News - Brexit negotiators removed 'adequate' from worker rights plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50199309

article posted:

An internal UK government memo on the consequences of Boris Johnson's Brexit deal renegotiation singles out the removal of the word "adequate" from the UK-EU Political Declaration to describe mechanisms for enforcing common social, environmental, and labour standards after Brexit.

The word "adequate" appears to have been replaced by the word "appropriate".

Extracts of a note written for the government's cross-Whitehall Economic Partnership Steering Group, and seen by the BBC, say the "parties will include "appropriate" (rather than "adequate") mechanisms for dispute settlement" of key "level playing field commitments" in a future trade deal with the European Union.

The consequence of that change, the note says, is that it means that it is now possible to argue it is "inappropriate for the future UK-EU relationship" that disputes about these commitments on employment, environment, tax, state aid and other standards should be subject to binding arbitration.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I learned just weeks ago that the UV needed to generate vitamin D can only get through the atmosphere at high enough angles (>45°) so even on a sunny day, if it's October-March or you're only in the sun in mornings or evenings, you're still gonna be vitamin D deficient.

And if doesn't go through windows either.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Hang on, surely the CTA still applied? As Irish citizens they still had every right to be there?

CTA only provides right for movement and work, not citizenship. Without citizenship it's easy to be discriminated against because you're outside the system.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Exioce posted:

Currently, but advancing automation tech and economies of scale could eventually make it viable.

hi Elon

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

painted into a coroner posted:

CTA only provides right for movement and work, not citizenship. Without citizenship it's easy to be discriminated against because you're outside the system.

Not convinced a 40s building site employer was going to be any less discriminatory against someone with an Irish accent regardless of their passport tbqh

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

We're gonna build a whole new world for ourselves. Look, they clap eyes on us and we're dead, right? So we gotta make a new life where they'll never find us. You know where? Underground.

You should see it down there - hundreds of miles of drains - sweet and clean now after the rain, dark, quiet, safe. We can build houses and everything, start again from scratch.

And what's so bad about living underground eh? It's not been so great living up here, if you want my opinion.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Exioce posted:

On the subject of housing chat, I dunno why we haven't moved housing underground at scale. Offices and commerce too. The land beneath our feet is pretty much infinite. You could give every person in the country more room than they could reasonably make use of. It's not like people look away from their phones these days anyway to peer at the outside world, and you could just have a digital window showing you a rainforest or some poo poo, if that's your thing. Just get some tunnel boring machines and automate the process. Tracks between underground houses could be used for electrified trams. Pedestrian and biking lanes besides. Then, the land above ground could slowly be turned into a mostly public space (parks, schools, hospitals etc) and a lot of re-wilding done. Probably tech, geology, and cost are the reason, but where there's a will there's usually a way.

edit: ^^^ :argh:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nettle Soup posted:

You live in the UK, this is already the case.

:actually: probably not. My understanding is that people with Northern European ancestry have somewhat adapted to the living conditions here. One result of that is that (Northern) Europeans have an easier time digesting dairy, leading to so much cheese, milk, yoghurt, being produced and consumed here (and I guess living with animals in general, leading European settlers to kill countless American natives with diseases the Europeans were immune to). Another is pale skin that is sensitive to UV radiation but is sensitive enough to produce a sufficient amount of vitamin D. I recall some long-form medium on the interplay between ethnicity and health listing this as one of the reasons why immigrant communities in Sweden have more vitamin D deficiency issues than 'native' Swedes, including depression.

:v: So I guess if you live more in or North of the North Sea you might as well live in a Fallout vault

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

Gonna be a lot of dead factory workers soon and the families won't be able to sue as they were given 'appropriate' non-safety gear.
BREXIT!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

kecske posted:

there will will not be adequate workers' rights

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I think you'll find that having 5 days of annual leave every year is quite appropriate for turbohellworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Your Steel Mill company is charged with the deaths of 10 workers due to a molten iron explosion. How do you respond?"
"We gave them the appropriate woolen gloves and paper masks."
"Say no more, I declare this Death by Misadventure, case closed."