Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Also garen is like what, 50% ban rate right now? Can't learn him if you can't pick him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
mages good, tankmans bad

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Be a true connoisseur and play mid Garen only

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Slaapaav posted:

i dont think new players should play melee champions. it will only teach bad habits

Such as?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the nerfs knocked garen's win rate down by like 3% lol. absolutely loving insane that they changed his base damage and not, say, the stupid loving attack speed scaling

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Verviticus posted:

the nerfs knocked garen's win rate down by like 3% lol. absolutely loving insane that they changed his base damage and not, say, the stupid loving attack speed scaling

he's below 50% winrate now

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I forgot how fun it is to fly out of the bushes like sonic and then watch the enemy adc melt after taunting them and defense curling

Rammus :getin:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

if a new player plays a simple but squishy ranged champion they will develop better positioning and a more "sane" playstyle. many melee champions have mechanics that give you a bonus for playing very aggresive. if you are looking for this type gameplay try tryndamere and renekton

play ahri. the game offers you ahri for free pretty early. this champion is strong, can be played with all kinds of runes and items. she is very powerful and flexible in terms of playstyle. if you get really good with her you can transfer a lot of that ability into other champions and the game in general. shes also pretty good for figuring out how you like to play the game.

but play every champion you can and see if you find some that you enjoy playing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Monicro posted:

he's below 50% winrate now

Verviticus posted:

i think they took out things that made being good at the champ even slightly rewarding (say, good w usage, trading low and regenerating early) and replaced it with the lowest common denominator mechanic and now he is way too loving strong. everything that feels good to you is going to get stomped into the dirt because stuff like he obviously should not be able to kill an entire wave with a single spin and he's going to become an insipid trashpile thats too strong at iron and a piece of poo poo at plat+

hmmm

maybe it will turn out that q first grasp garen is the better way to go or maybe people will adjust but its already not looking good

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 27, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When I was new I played entirely Poppy top, she's tanky, needs positioning to get the most out of her, a lot of people underestimate her damage and you can ruin the day of anyone with a dash.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Got Gentleman Cho and I do really like playing him in aram but I already have the mech skin so

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

If you're new, you should just play any/every champ you can get your hands on in Vs. AI games until you find someone that clicks. Or, in my case, see a character so much better and cooler than the one you're playing that you play them instead and become a Karthus OTP. :zombie:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
So uh, ended up with Super Galaxy Rumble.

How low is the skill floor to play this champion remotely effectively?

njsykora posted:

When I was new I played entirely Poppy top, she's tanky, needs positioning to get the most out of her, a lot of people underestimate her damage and you can ruin the day of anyone with a dash.
Was this pre-rework Poppy? I miss that Poppy so much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bell_ posted:

Not that easy I’m afraid. But you don’t need a high APM like combo mages/assassins. You have to manage a different resource, like energy. And you have to get used to the “vector targeting” on his ultimate, like Viktor’s E.

If you are very new to Rumble don't instantly focus on maintaining the Danger Zone aka having 50% heat to get ability bonuses. It's more important that you learn to avoid Overheating (reaching 100% heat) BEFORE you use your ultimate.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 27, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Bell_ posted:

i can talk about rumble for weeks my man. i love the guy, and should play rumble a lot more. the biggest thing about rumble is the heat management system - you always want to be in a state where you could press all your buttons and then turn into overheat mode. rumbles laning pattern involves using flamethrower to push off melees, harpoons to close the gap once(and flamethrow) and then again when they leave to get a parting shot, and using shield both defensively and offensively as the situation requires.

this is not complex. the hard part is learning how to manage these resources. when you overheat, you start doing frick loads of damage on your autos, but can not press buttons - this is what i meant by "could press all your buttons". if you get at a guy who wants to take a simple trade into a scrap, the flamethrower and shield will remain active, and your autos will be doing way more damage than they can handle.

rumble is a lane bully, simply put. you want to use that aggression to snowball. be aware that his ideal play pattern will push the wave, and you are susceptible to ganks. post 6, i recommend never using rumbles ult until the jungler shows up because if you are ahead, you can use the ult to turn around and get a double kill more often than not. lategame, he has one of the best ults in the game, and if you were able to get ahead enough to get some strong items you can use this to remain relevant as a late game short range bully. good luck on your quest

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Slaapaav posted:

if a new player plays a simple but squishy ranged champion they will develop better positioning and a more "sane" playstyle. many melee champions have mechanics that give you a bonus for playing very aggresive. if you are looking for this type gameplay try tryndamere and renekton

play ahri. the game offers you ahri for free pretty early. this champion is strong, can be played with all kinds of runes and items. she is very powerful and flexible in terms of playstyle. if you get really good with her you can transfer a lot of that ability into other champions and the game in general. shes also pretty good for figuring out how you like to play the game.

but play every champion you can and see if you find some that you enjoy playing.

Thank you (and everyone else) for the suggestions. It looks like Ahri is more usually taken in mid. Is she viable in top too?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

There are 11 anniversary gifts, the legendary skin is at day 10. To get a day’s reward you need to play a single game (any mode I think). 22 hours after completing it you will receive the quest for the next day/gift.

I don’t know the exact end-date for these gifts, but you have at least two more weeks to earn them.

fyi there's no delay between the reward missions once they've been unlocked, ie you can play 10 bot games and earn all 10 rewards right now. a few of us knocked out like 5 arams in a row yesterday to finish the reward missions

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kind of like eating all the chocolates in an advent calendar all at once, isn’t? :v:
But that’s nice for people who don’t play that often. The Annie-versary skin can now be unlocked, another nice thing.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Bell_ posted:

In addition to all the helpful words already said, I think part of the stigma that rumbles super complicated comes from before his mini rework when he was in fact absurdly complicated.

Heat used to be really hard to manage since its decay would ramp up (going from 5/s, to 10/s to I think 20/s). Which meant you were constantly trying to calculate what abilities you could use. Now if you can count by 10 you're just fine.

Heat still has its nuances but it's not nearly as hard as it's made out to be, so definitely give it a shot

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If you're new, you should just play any/every champ you can get your hands on in Vs. AI games until you find someone that clicks. Or, in my case, see a character so much better and cooler than the one you're playing that you play them instead and become a Karthus OTP. :zombie:

I agree with this advice. play as many different champs/roles as you can and then, when something feels good and is fun to play, get that champ and focus on learning the game while playing only (mostly) that champ.

for instance, I started playing league as a jungle, then I played mages mostly for a couple seasons, and lately I've been playing assassins. eventually you'll find the champ/type of champs that you want to focus on.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Speaking of roles, since Worlds brought me back to playing ranked I once again feel like I need to quit playing bot. I just consistently am not having fun unless I spam Kai'sa and even that gets boring. So lately I find myself spamming Fiora top since she is my #1 comfort pick, or Kayle if Fiora is picked/banned. I have also played a handful of games with Thresh (my Support comfort pick) and Orianna Grande - my mid comfort pick.

None of these have me super jazzed at the moment. Any recommendations for champ/role combinations that are completely different from these? Let's just ignore the ADC role completely as I can't see myself enjoying it at all right now. Other than that I'm down to try anything.

If it matters I'm somewhere in Silver and I think the last time I was playing a lot of ranked I peaked at S1.

Lastly, an observation: since I've returned to League I have been flat out ignoring my LP, promos, and literally everything to do with my rank and I have to say it is the absolute best way to play this game. All of my energy is focused on my mechanics and self improvement. And lately when a teammate or opponent shits on me in chat it's rolled off me like water. I think I've achieved some weird Zen mentality and it's made the ranked experience noticeably more fun. Game is GOOD.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
play swain top. hes extremely fun if you get an early advantage you bird poo poo on the enemy team so hard its kinda disgusting. or play quinn top for the roaming assasin adc playstyle. fiddle can 1v5 pentakill in lower elos where people roam in tight balls

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Also keep in mind that all the shitheels are coming out of the woodwork to get end of season rewards my games tend to be a lot less fun around this time of the year.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Slaapaav posted:

play swain top. hes extremely fun if you get an early advantage you bird poo poo on the enemy team so hard its kinda disgusting.

This is all correct but as the self-proclaimed Premier Swain Top Player In The Thread, I reccommend either really committing to learning it or using him mainly on a counterpick basis/just playing him mid. Poking the gently caress out of the tanks etc that can't do anything to you toplane is indeed great fun but the rivens/camilles/etceteras of the world that can juke your E easily and get on top of you whenever they want are loving misery to lane against if you don't really know what you're doing, and the primary reason why he pretty rarely gets played up there right now except by weirdos like me and slaapaav

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
swain is very fun support because you can put more levels in e and w.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
try learning ziggs he is very fun. if you put lots of time in he can do very fun things but just from a few games you have a very strong afk pusher if you are in the mood for a brainless waveclear session

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kung fu jive posted:

Speaking of roles, since Worlds brought me back to playing ranked I once again feel like I need to quit playing bot. I just consistently am not having fun unless I spam Kai'sa and even that gets boring. So lately I find myself spamming Fiora top since she is my #1 comfort pick, or Kayle if Fiora is picked/banned. I have also played a handful of games with Thresh (my Support comfort pick) and Orianna Grande - my mid comfort pick.

None of these have me super jazzed at the moment. Any recommendations for champ/role combinations that are completely different from these? Let's just ignore the ADC role completely as I can't see myself enjoying it at all right now. Other than that I'm down to try anything.

If it matters I'm somewhere in Silver and I think the last time I was playing a lot of ranked I peaked at S1.

Lastly, an observation: since I've returned to League I have been flat out ignoring my LP, promos, and literally everything to do with my rank and I have to say it is the absolute best way to play this game. All of my energy is focused on my mechanics and self improvement. And lately when a teammate or opponent shits on me in chat it's rolled off me like water. I think I've achieved some weird Zen mentality and it's made the ranked experience noticeably more fun. Game is GOOD.

If you were an adc, you should know some matchups botlane. I think support is probably the easiest role to carry with. Ya in silver your adc might int but you can snowball other lanes easily with mobi boots. And in season 9 supports are basically carries with picks like Pyke/Yumii and upcoming Senna. You said played a lot of Thresh, I would recommend Blitz, he is very simple and strong right now. Since you played Thresh you should atleast have some skillshot accuracy which will help on Blitz.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Slaapaav posted:

try learning ziggs he is very fun. if you put lots of time in he can do very fun things but just from a few games you have a very strong afk pusher if you are in the mood for a brainless waveclear session

If you wanna do that just play Malz. After level 3 you Q E W and start running to a different lane to gank and you'll be back before the wave crashes into your tower. Once you're 6 that roam is a guaranteed kill.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I like the occasional ARAM but I hate how the its playerbase seems to be obsessed with playing ADCs. These triple or quad ADC comps loving suck.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Smol posted:

I like the occasional ARAM but I hate how the its playerbase seems to be obsessed with playing ADCs. These triple or quad ADC comps loving suck.

I see it with AP carries a lot too. Usually games where you poke the other team to death in the first half, then get dove upon all the time in the second half. Earlier today I was up against a team that was 4x AP and 1x AD. Two of the AP champs were Lucian and Miss Fortune. I guess they never looked at the scoreboard and noted that all 4 of them had Lost Chapter as a starting item.

It makes itemization as a tank really easy. Although some people think building pure tank in ARAM is “tryhard”. Just as instantly destroying the base, instead of standing around waiting for respawns. And buying Oracle’s Extract to remove Teemo’s mushrooms.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
URF going live later tonight.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Smol posted:

I hate that there are comps in ARAM tbh

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bleck posted:

I hate that there are comps in ARAM tbh

Eh its just things that work, like anyone with poke is immediately a solid. Initiators with wombo combo ults are pretty awesome with blue/red masteries and getting as much ult cdr as possible. Although soraka is one of those picks that makes me ask why sometimes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Drakes posted:

Although soraka is one of those picks that makes me ask why sometimes.

To quote the wise words of Blade: “some motherfuckers are always trying to iceskate uphill.” Who cares that outgoing heals were drastically nerfed! Just stack health and get a Warmogs :shepface:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Erdricks posted:

URF going live later tonight.

put the theme music on repeat caus it owns https://youtu.be/qYIiy03eGE0

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Mierenneuker posted:

To quote the wise words of Blade: “some motherfuckers are always trying to iceskate uphill.” Who cares that outgoing heals were drastically nerfed! Just stack health and get a Warmogs :shepface:

I'd like to say just do poo poo that makes sense if you wanna win or have a good time:shepface:.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only thing i truly hate in aram is when you get a champ who can be built tanky with nobody else on the team capable of playing tanky, and they just build full AP on a team with probably 2-4 other AP damage champs anyway

or when a team needs an AD champ and decide they're going to play the worse AP build anyway, HRMMMMM HMMMMMMMM

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

rabidsquid posted:

the only thing i truly hate in aram is when you get a champ who can be built tanky with nobody else on the team capable of playing tanky, and they just build full AP on a team with probably 2-4 other AP damage champs anyway

or when a team needs an AD champ and decide they're going to play the worse AP build anyway, HRMMMMM HMMMMMMMM

or maybe they queued up for urf to have fun with a wacky build and not do what other people want them to build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I'll try Swain top and some supports. Definitely going to pick up Senna once she releases. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!