Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Binged S2 over the last couple days and some random thoughts.
.. Where's the story?
.. even though I like Gillian Anderson better, New Media is exactly how I would personify media in this time, spot on.
.. the War of the Worlds comparison and Mr World's manipulation of the media was more about the unreliability and falseness of news media and government than telling a story. On the one hand it was crafted beautifully but was crammed awkwardly into the episode and fizzled instead of leaving a lasting impression.
.. What is Tech now? He was reborn as AI? Algorithm? New Tech (dumb)?
.. Ep8 and the witch-hunt created by New Media is what I expected to happen around ep 4 or 5.
.. Eps 4 and 5, wtf was that? It was like someone inserted 2 episodes written for a different show into this show.
.. Even after 2 seasons I don't understand Mr World. Tech, Media, Money, make sense but wtf is World and why is he so powerful. Who worships the world?
.. Despite the problems, I was entertained and will watch S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Mr. World is globalism.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Mr. World is (((Mr. World))). He's the anti-semites' bogeyman.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm looking forward to S3 and want to see who they cast as Hinzelmann.

I hear Jeff Sessions isn't doing anything nowadays.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Mr World is the mundane over the holy. Progress at all costs. The homogenisation of cultures. This is why he's at war with the Old Gods.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So how many pages of the book will season 3 cover? 10?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I haven't watched season 2 yet, but the book had multiple chapters for the epilogue after the main events shook out. If they actually found a way to stretch that into a whole season of filler, I can't decide if I'd be impressed or disgusted.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Andrigaar posted:

I haven't watched season 2 yet, but the book had multiple chapters for the epilogue after the main events shook out. If they actually found a way to stretch that into a whole season of filler, I can't decide if I'd be impressed or disgusted.

They haven't even gotten anywhere near that part yet.

Literally nothing happens in season 2. Nothing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm finally catching up on Season 2 and couldn't stop myself from hollering at the screen by the second episode.

Yeah, police brutality happens because you put negative vibes into the world. The writers can go gently caress themselves.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

what the hell happened in season 2? I know I watched it but I couldn't explain to someone else in a few sentences

e: on Wikipedia:

quote:

The second season follows Shadow Moon, an ex-convict who is the right-hand man and bodyguard for Mr. Wednesday, an Old God who is in the midst of a war between the Old Gods, the gods from ancient mythology, and the New Gods, the gods of society, technology, and globalization.

yeah that's p much it. You want names, scenes, events? Can't help you there unless I rewatch it. I could give you more detail on season 1 though, no prob

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

what the hell happened in season 2? I know I watched it but I couldn't explain to someone else in a few sentences

e: on Wikipedia:

yeah that's p much it. You want names, scenes, events? Can't help you there unless I rewatch it. I could give you more detail on season 1 though, no prob

Why on earth would you need multiple sentences to describe what happened in season 2?

Here let me help you:

Nothing.

There you go. That is one sentence accurately summarizing what happened in season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They got a spear and then lost it. That's all that happened.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I liked s3 a lot, but the parts where they tried to cutely make fun of losing Gillian or not seeing Easter were pure cringe.

And the backstory on the goddamn leprechaun was wonderful.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There was a spear and those 2 dwarves from Dad of War showed up whose names I can never remember. Sadly one was not blue however.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 28, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Have watched 3 eps of S2 so far. I wouldn't say nothing has happened yet, but at the same time the only reason it got that long is the abuse of slow-motion drawing things out.

Also the season started out flashy and quickly reduced itself to people standing around and talking in cramped rooms most of the time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Thor episode was cool, but yeah I don't remember much else. They have crispin Glover so they felt the need to have him in every episode acting like a Saturday morning cartoon villain in his evil lair

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

They have crispin Glover so they felt the need to have him in every episode acting like a Saturday morning cartoon villain in his evil lair

This isn't a bad thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did the show get cancelled yet?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Starting S2E6.

It's true about the season now. In the past 2 episodes it seems like 3 days worth of nothing has happened in slow motion along three or four parallel plot lines. I think the first two episodes had all of the content for the season so far.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

MiddleOne posted:

Did the show get cancelled yet?

No:
https://www.slashfilm.com/american-gods-season-3-starz/

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Terror Sweat posted:

They have crispin Glover so they felt the need to have him in every episode acting like a Saturday morning cartoon villain in his evil lair

Those scenes were uniformly terrible. Hopefully the new showrunner realizes that crispin glover looking at the camera and giving a villain monologue every few minutes was the worst part of a bad season. The whole evil lair sucked- I'm gonna go ahead and pray to both the old and new gods that it gets dropped.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Season 3 casting stuff
Mr. World is being recast, with Dominique Jackson as Ms. World.

Chad Mulligan will be played by Eric Johnson.

I think I'm finally starting to have my faith in the show waver. :ohdear:

Story here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nth Doctor posted:

Season 3 casting stuff
Mr. World is being recast

Jesus Christ. Unless they cast Jeffrey Weissman this is a colossal waste.

Edit: Oh, reading the link I see that the character has been recast as a woman, I had assumed that Ms. World was going to be his partner or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the hell is going on with the casting on this show

It's actually one of the few cases where it does make sense to change actors, but since they don't do it consistently it's just weird

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I honestly can’t think of any other show that squandered so much potential to become such an absolute clusterfuck of a mess. It’s particularly egregious given some of the very major names attached to it, and the crazy budget.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
None of that sounds like a good thing.

I hope S3 is the end of this circus so someone else can review all three season in order and do a short write-up about the effects of the forces of the boardroom on the show itself. Also I want the real dirt on which egos have been clashing the most in a postmortem, and that'll probably require people to slip up and gossip after the show's over.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Everything about this show just does my head in. American gods is a single, not particularly long (by fantasy standards at least) novel, and they somehow decided they needed to milk it out into a multi season television show. We're about to start season 3, yet I don't think we're even halfway through the book? It's absurd. The Lord of the Rings was done as a film trilogy. All but one of the Harry Potter books were done in single films. Game of thrones was able to adapt at least some of the books in a single season, and they started padding when they realised they were going to overtake GRRM.

Meanwhile we've had an entire season (50% of the show so far!) that more or less failed to advance the plot more than a tiny increment. It's insane, this novel should have been adapted in one, maybe 12 or so episode miniseries, and it would have been outstanding.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You absolute buffoon

3 seasons means 3x the money! What are you, some sort of simpleton?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's actually one of the few cases where it does make sense to change actors, but since they don't do it consistently it's just weird

Reflecting on it, yeah recasting World isn't the worst deviation the could be done. Still the whole way this has been run is weird

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

We're entering some Ship of Theseus territory, though. How much can you recast this and still call it the same show?

They must be paying Ian McShane an exuberant amount of money for him to stick around. He certainly looks like he's enjoying himself as Wednesday.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just think of the recastings as a measure of how much the actor wanted to be in a Bryan Fuller show vs wanting to be in a show

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Watching Crispin Glover ham it up was one of the few pleasures left in this show.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So Orlando Jones (Mr. Nancy) won't be returning with the new season either. The turnover rate on this show is comical.

I really hope there's some sort of tell-all eventually about the behind the scenes fuckery of this stupid television show.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I guess anansi boys is never going to get a TV adaptation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, I liked season 2 but no glover and no Jones is a hard fuckin sell

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I guess anansi boys is never going to get a TV adaptation

God I would give my left nut for that adaptation. Jones is a perfect Nancy. Crying shame how little Nancy actually shows up in that book, but I'm sure an adaptation could come up with some more reasons to feature him.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Welllllpppppp.

https://twitter.com/TheOrlandoJones/status/1205836143897579520

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How do you even gently caress up a TV show this badly

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm almost looking forward to season 3 now just to see how much of a train wreck it'll be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lol wtf? Just cancel it.