Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He was joking my dude. Show us when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I'll do. I'm just happy I am done with the grind, but I'll also have to order couple of parts from Bricklink before I can finish it (not because missing, but because there are parts LEGO would never do, and they know why). I just don't wanna shitup the thread with a MoC that LEGO turned down (with VERY good reasons) and now is offered by third-parties.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cojawfee posted:

I totally am. Please keep posting your progress.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm interested in the Saturn V- my store still has it- however the fragility worries me. I want to be able to use it with my other Space stuff so if it's pretty much "display only" I don't see the point.
I've let my kid who was only 4 at the time play with it, and she and her two year old sister managed to drop it a couple of times from kid height, and it has held up well. A few edge pieces have popped off, but it is obvious where it goes back.

As other have mentioned, if you do let people touch/play with it, just keep the tiny top and the moon lander parts off, and you should have no problems. It is really well built and sturdy enough I let small kids play with it. Supervised, if it wasn't it would be 1,969 loose pieces pretty quickly. And by supervised, I mean I'm playing with them as much as they are playing with the toys and having fun rocketing to the moon/mars/sun/grandma's place.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Went looking for potential gifts for my year old niece and proceeded to get lost in the Lego section, they had a bunch of Creator sets that were discontinued and I had to pull myself away.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yiggy posted:

My 2.5 year old loves the toy story sets. We’ve rebuilt the rc car and the buzz coaster many times the simplicity of them makes it easy for them to grasp. I had to remove the flag and balloon pieces on the coaster and anything that’s less sturdy such as the antenna on the RC car. The LEGO movie 2 minifig sets also well received. The Benny space squad and the unikitty tea party. Minifigs made the most sense to them at first.

From there we’ve moved on to one of those basic creative suitcase sets.

Awesome! Thanks!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Snowmankilla posted:

Awesome! Thanks!

I bought the tea party pack for my 3 year and she absolutely loves it. I've also picked up the Toy Story duplo train and my son loves it. It helps that every 5 year old loves trains.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rumour is that the 2020 Ghostbusters movie will get some sets next year.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:ghost::fap:

Another Ecto 1 is probably most likely, but I wonder what else they might do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sounds like it's a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 with kids or something? The top billed people on the wikipedia page are kids. Also has Murray and Aykroyd in it I guess as old people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Sounds like it's a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 with kids or something? The top billed people on the wikipedia page are kids. Also has Murray and Aykroyd in it I guess as old people.

Gross. Hollywood, just let Ghostbusters die already.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, a continuation of the franchise with new and original cast. You know, like Star Wars has been doing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tuo posted:

Okay. Just wanted to post it because another one one in this thread asked about it. I'll keep quiet about the rest of the build (original MoC is all LEGO parts anyway, as it's an LEGO Ideas set that LEGO refused to produce....with VERY good reasons).

Yo.

Thanks for progress updates, and I think most people are interested in seeing how this turns out.

How fragile are we talking btw?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

deoju posted:

:ghost::fap:

Another Ecto 1 is probably most likely, but I wonder what else they might do.

I could do when another Ecto...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wonder at what point the ecto 1 ends up being an old suv. Or maybe a minivan or suburban.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would probably just be an old ambulance like it was in the first place.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Gross. Hollywood, just let Ghostbusters die already.

If the Ghostbusters die then there will be nobody left to bust their ghosts

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lizard Combatant posted:

How fragile are we talking btw?

The complete tower part (the sections that repeat themselves) sits on three 1x8 plates on the lower structure. So currently pretty unstable (don't even think about moving it). But I assume as soon as the pipes are attached, it gets much more stable as it's then anchored to the ground. The rocket though slots into the base, and is very stable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, a continuation of the franchise with new and original cast. You know, like Star Wars has been doing.

So you're saying it's going to be okay and best? Sounds promising.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

It would probably just be an old ambulance like it was in the first place.

Wasn't it a modified hearse?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hopper posted:

Wasn't it a modified hearse?

The recent ghostbusters had the new crew in a hearse. The 1980s ghostbusters were in a 50s vintage Cadillac ambulance. The teaser for the 2020 ghostbusters shows the tail end of the Cadillac ambulance Ecto 1.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ve been filming in the original Ecto-1, with a new pop-out side door/seat for on the go ‘bustin.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My Saturn V can be held up by the top (non command module) stage and wiggled a bit, it's been together for 2 years now.
I don't recommend tempting fate on shaking it apart and intentionally picking it up on smaller stages but it's drat study. The most I had fall off was the escape module.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zedd posted:

My Saturn V can be held up by the top (non command module) stage and wiggled a bit, it's been together for 2 years now.
I don't recommend tempting fate on shaking it apart and intentionally picking it up on smaller stages but it's drat study. The most I had fall off was the escape module.

It's interesting to read how different the Saturn V is (or was built, maybe?). I remember when I finished mine, I was so happy and grabbed it somewhere in the middle (without thinking about it too much) to carry it to the shelve, and the bottom stage simply detached and dropped to the floor, and me trying to catch it made the upper stage detach and drop to the floor. It resulted in the inner structure, where the outer pieces connect to, getting ripped out. I inspected the remains for some time, and found no sensible way to "reinsert" the inner structure without a rebuild. So I rebuilt the whole thing, and I'm handling it like eggs since then. The stages from mine detach pretty easily.

It's still one of the best LEGO sets in recent years, imo.

e: also, am I the only one who thinks the floating-pieces around the reentry capsule is one piece too short?

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The orange inflatable things? Mine fit around the capsule perfectly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

The orange inflatable things? Mine fit around the capsule perfectly.

Yeah, these. I think I'll have to recount wether I was missing one/lost one. Or my capsule gained weight.

e: assume I somehow lost one/am missing one...

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You absolutely are. Put in a missing piece request to lego, they should ship you a new one.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

tuo posted:

Yeah, these. I think I'll have to recount wether I was missing one/lost one. Or my capsule gained weight.

e: assume I somehow lost one/am missing one...

It’s a little hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you may have the 8 orange pieces needed to make the raft. They should make an octagon, and will just barely fit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't have that set so I can't check, but it looks like you probably have to force them down a bit to get them to snap into place?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's a small risk of my Saturn V falling apart if held horizontal from the middle one-handed but it's solid as hell vertically held with one hand.

Also on the inflatable raft chat, I am in the "I think the right number are there in the wrong shape" camp although it's been a while since I messed with it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I assumed they'd have tried that but yeah now I look closer it does look like they could all be there.

Stability chat: It's strong enough to hold itself together but I wouldn't run around with it one handed. I had it stored horizontally on the stands on my bedroom floor for a while until I watched the cats come and start nuzzling the pointy end, knocking it off the stand and breaking the stages apart and the fins off.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 28, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The_Doctor posted:

They’ve been filming in the original Ecto-1, with a new pop-out side door/seat for on the go ‘bustin.

“Break yo’self, Ghoul!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

“Break yo’self, Ghoul!”

It feels more like ‘please slow down’.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Waffling on the Saturn V. Ordered an old Pirate set (Sabre Island) for nostalgia and a new on sale 3 in 1 Creator (Townhouse/Pet Shop/Cafe).

Dribs and drabs. I'm kind of peeved the new Fire Station (60215) is just a small fire house instead of a full-blown HQ like 60110. Buying the latter is precluded by the proliferation of so many fakes. Sigh...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I also dropped my Saturn V right after building it and that is definitely a hard set to repair since it is so studless. It certainly does not come apart the same way it goes together!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Every time Saturn V durability chat happens, I think of when I picked it up by Stage 2. The day after I finished it.

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished the Saturn V last night. The build took evenings most of the week and I got chills as I watched it get taller and taller.
I sat there staring at it for a few minutes just in awe of this cool set.

Lucky me, I get to do it again.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
My Saturn V is sturdy as heck. I can hold it vertically one handed from the second stage. It actually takes so much force to pull the stages apart that every time I do I'm afraid I'll break it, but it holds together.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nth Doctor posted:

Every time Saturn V durability chat happens, I think of when I picked it up by Stage 2. The day after I finished it.

Yup, that's exactly what happened to...ten minutes after I finished it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was thinking about durability chat myself earlier and was messing around with the UCS Y wing. That thing is built like a brick despite looking incredibly frail and being one of the most greebly sets I've ever seen. You could probably actually let a kid play with it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a durability challenge? One where you attempt to assemble something that won't come apart?