Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

colonelwest posted:

The unfortunate consequence of this mess dragging on for 8 years...

Anyway, I don’t want an in-game memorial. Just burry me with my pictures of video game spaceships in a coffin shaped like an Idris.

Or maybe my ashes can be spread on the floor of CIG’s MOCAP studio and the recording can be used for animations for the new undertaker profession and accompanying spaceship.

In any case, I’m already leaving Chris Roberts everything in my will. I’m sure my heirs would rather have the BDSSE than property and money.

I'll pour out a hairy roberts for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I donate this hairy creation to the thread

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Agony Aunt posted:

Death by cofee cup!

Never been done before!

It's still (pre)alpha!

Seriously, I don't know how or if they're going to ever reach and push a "release" but my hot take, as a person who understands nothing about Crobbear's game development, is that when more people start trying out said "release", then another metric ton of such glitches will be reported.

They keep adding these inconsequential things for fidelity, attention to detail or because of Crobler's fever dreams and with this massive overblown scope this thing is going to be buried so fast as an unsalvageable bug ridden fest.

Why? Because gamers will try all sorts of unexpected interactions and activities, not even trying to break the game -- and there will also be those who actively will try that too.

It's also why the game stays under the safe space label of (pre)alpha for this inexcusable amount of time. So that backers will think that it's early days, yet to apply more polishing so that a perfect day one product will be delivered. :laffo:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shitizencon when?!?! The people demand jank!!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Taintrunner posted:

Shitizencon when?!?! The people demand jank!!

Two four weeks.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

A sign of things to come in Star Citizen? :laugh:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AbstractNapper posted:

It's still (pre)alpha!

Seriously, I don't know how or if they're going to ever reach and push a "release" but my hot take, as a person who understands nothing about Crobbear's game development, is that when more people start trying out said "release", then another metric ton of such glitches will be reported.

DUNG!

MONEY DUPLICATE WITH RANTA DUNG

RANTA DUNG FOLLOW-UP ISSUE

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT:

Piles of Ranta Dung. Suit inventory just makes more whether selling or dropping. Seems tied to Armor it happened on. Armor is now usless except for duping Ranta Dung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLhZNTG9RIs

Pooping out precious gems also possible.

---

FEMALE CHARACTER MODEL SWITCHES TO MALE WHILE IN GAME

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT:

Female character should not switch to male character, and should remain female character throughout all interactions.

ECN MISSIONS BREAK WHEN AI KILLS SELF

quote:

WORKAROUND:

Hope NPC does not kill self.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Pixelate posted:

poop dupe

Ahahahahahahahahaha this game is so loving broken.

How are they ever going to have a stable economy if the very first commodity you can actually, physically pick up can be infinitely duped through the highly complex and obscure method of "picking up a lot of it"? I'm no games-development understander but this seems like a pretty fundamental failure of their architecture?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Star Citizen: evergrowing pile of poo poo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I love this farce.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, but does it have caves? All the best space games have caves.

And does it have Ranta Dung?

Everyone knows that gameplay, fun and performance dont matter for a video game. It is all in the little, little details. Ranta Dung.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

And does it have Ranta* Dung?

Everyone knows that gameplay, fun and performance dont matter for a video game. It is all in the little, little details. Ranta* Dung.

*ranta not included

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Only the poo poo is left. It fits star citizen well.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

Guys, The Outer Worlds writing is really loving good.

I like the dialogue when you meet the ship's computer.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

From a Youtuber with 290k subscribers: "An Amazing Looking Mess - Star Citizen Gameplay and Funny Moments"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFEyShnWWgY

There's a new type of griefing in the first minutes too :neckbeard:

This was so good :allears:

Citizens are always saying they need a video to show to their friends. This should be it.

---

And talking of poop...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pixelate posted:

Citizens are always saying they need a video to show to their friends. This should be it.

---

And talking of poop...

Show less

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Daztek posted:

Show less

It's kind of fascinating seeing the smoosh of narratives. I like that 'yeah sure Chris is an idiot' is a pretty regular one now, even for the shiniest faithful. But so many bulwarks remain, shifting around on their sandy foundations. 'Unique tech! Held back by existing engine! Takes time to start from scratch! Hasn't actually been that long! Coming next year!'

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
i wish they would shut up about the fact it has space and planet landings. its not groundbeaking, it has been a solved problem for years.
space engine was made by one crazy russian guy (proper size, not this 1/10th scale poo poo). the guys who made infinity battlescape have been showing off their technology since like 2008 (with plans to make a space MMO - basically starcitizen). outerra has the full planet earth rendered from height data, with procedural details down to cm scale (again programmed by one person). obviously elite dangerous has this stuff too, not to mention the original frontier games.

and 100million km^2 of empty space does not count as content you dumb gently caress

zebedy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 27, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
Object Container Streaming! they are going on about having the server not simulate every object in the universe all at once like its some technological breakthrough! its such a basic and obvious thing that the noone ever bothered to name the concept until star citizen. this """company""" is Streaming Objects out of their rear end.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

---

And talking of poop...

Love the revisionist narrative.

"Started out as eurotruck with some combat and exploration" - what? Did he never watch the kickstarter trailer? It was meant to be the BDSSE from the start.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

LifeSunDeath posted:

52 step process

Star Citizen: Enjoy your coffee

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Virtual Captain posted:

Star Citizen: Enjoy your coffee

Star Citizen: Enjoy your coffee! (Coffee kills players upon contact)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Star Citizen: Enjoy your coffee! (Coffee kills players upon contact)

Do the burns triple every second?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

zebedy posted:

Object Container Streaming! they are going on about having the server not simulate every object in the universe all at once like its some technological breakthrough! its such a basic and obvious thing that the noone ever bothered to name the concept until star citizen. this """company""" is Streaming Objects out of their rear end.

It's a rather clever approach. If you put a proper name to something everyone else already does by default, every Google search will link that name to your company, and you can claim to have invented it. It's genius!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a rather clever approach. If you put a proper name to something everyone else already does by default, every Google search will link that name to your company, and you can claim to have invented it. It's genius!

By now it should be obvious (insert favorite fire reference) is in cruise control mode. Roberts got his take. None of them gave two fucks with what is going on in regards to development. Funny, a man that waved his hands on promising features and has absolved himself of everything doesn't want the limelight anymore after acquiring the mansion.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do the burns triple every second?

Only if you use the special kind of coffee beans

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been playing 3.7.1 for the past few days now. My conclusion is that Star Citizen has now reached the gameplay and balance of a Steam Early Access game. I have never seen the game as stable as it has been in a very long time. Unlike my brief experience with 3.6.0, you can actually play for hours without client crashes. Maybe, if CIG can maintain this level of stability, they might start getting a better reputation. There is a good amount of stuff to do and you can actually play and earn money and get better ships. They do have completed gameplay loops.

There are still lots of small bugs, though. Sometimes you can't get out of your cockpit. Some ships can't lock missiles unless you turn the weapon system off. Sometimes group fast travel will send one member off into a random direction. Sometimes mission NPCs don't spawn. Sometimes missions get stuck. And weapon balance is off where ships with only laser weapons literally can't break through the shields of certain ships.

However, it works most of the time where you can have fun while making progress towards whatever goals you have. How many years did it take to get to this point, though? And how many years will it still take?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

zebedy posted:

It's been around forever and it's called Interest Management.

Here's an article from 2014: http://appwarps2.shephertz.com/dev-center/mmo-interest-management/

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFEyShnWWgY&t=115s

Watch as one person gently places a coffee cup on his friends head, and his friend instantly dies.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Quavers posted:

From a Youtuber with 290k subscribers: "An Amazing Looking Mess - Star Citizen Gameplay and Funny Moments"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFEyShnWWgY

There's a new type of griefing in the first minutes too :neckbeard:

Glad someone else carries on the task of PGabz HELLO COMMANDOS!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
just finished the video and yea...that is amazing lmao...they learned nothing in 2 years at least, if ever.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nalin posted:

And how many years will it still take?

Its the big question really. Assuming the whole thing doesn't implode, they should reach the point of getting something that they can call a release.

It still looks like it is years away though. They can't slap a release label on it until its at least half decent, otherwise it will get ripped to shreds by reviwers considering the time and money its taken.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

Assuming the whole thing doesn't implode, they should reach the point of getting something that they can call a release.

And then... we start checking it off with this list:
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

zebedy posted:

can someone please link me that thread recap website?

https://pricelesstrainwreck.github.io/

I'll probably post Oct Set 1 & 2 later today.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
No Mans Sky had some similarities to SC: hype, plain lies and the first iteration at the launch was a fiasco and unstable POS.
After like 16 content patches and some major updates over three years without additional fees and DLC , No Mans Sky now is a nice Space and Planet exploring game with ships and stuff and easy 100 hour procedural content.
NMS actually redeemed itself and wipes the floor with the SC PTU, in absolutely EVERY aspect (minus bartender high end AI) of technical fundament, content and immersion.

After a gently caress you release and deception NMS delivered 3 years pf progress, fixes and additional content.
As one of the many idiots that backed this SC disaster years ago, it is fascinating to compare NMS to SC and watch what a small devstudio with focus and the burden to redeem themselves is able to accomplish.
Clown Imperium Games got 300 Million Dollar, is 8 years in and is a laughable testament of failure against No Mans Sky. It’s not even close.

So, when will SC get on a design, content and technical level that might be on par with NMS that just took 3 years of additional and fixing work, without 300 Million and 450 people?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr.PayDay posted:

So, when will SC get on a design, content and technical level that might be on par with NMS that just took 3 years of additional and fixing work, without 300 Million and 450 people?

I can answer that question with another question: If Chris Roberts was an unparalleled game developer rock star returning to lead PC gamers to the promised land, why did every publisher laugh him out of their offices when he was only asking them for $500,000?

Until Chris leaves, or is booted from, this project, it will never amount to anything. Real game developers won't work for him. Real game publishers won't fund him. The timeline where Star Citizen sees any sort of release splits into two paths: one where Chris stays there and the game that releases is raw unfiltered sewage, and one where the most recent investors make his exit a condition of continued funding. In the second scenario all bets are off; the chances of any given project succeeding increases linearly with the distance the project puts between itself and the Crobbler. That said, the $400+ million they've already burned is gone and they have nothing good to show for it. Every other game that's come out in the last few years has run circles around this project. I can't imagine the amount of effort it would take to get this behemoth working in any capacity, much less a fun one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

No Mans Sky had some similarities to SC: hype, plain lies and the first iteration at the launch was a fiasco and unstable POS.
After like 16 content patches and some major updates over three years without additional fees and DLC , No Mans Sky now is a nice Space and Planet exploring game with ships and stuff and easy 100 hour procedural content.
NMS actually redeemed itself and wipes the floor with the SC PTU, in absolutely EVERY aspect (minus bartender high end AI) of technical fundament, content and immersion.

After a gently caress you release and deception NMS delivered 3 years pf progress, fixes and additional content.
As one of the many idiots that backed this SC disaster years ago, it is fascinating to compare NMS to SC and watch what a small devstudio with focus and the burden to redeem themselves is able to accomplish.
Clown Imperium Games got 300 Million Dollar, is 8 years in and is a laughable testament of failure against No Mans Sky. It’s not even close.

To be fair to CInotG for once, they are making all of this by hand instead of letting it be procedurally generated. Which is a pretty novel approach to making a space game of this scale, and a very stupid one.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
This is good for star citizen

https://microtransaction.zone/Game?id=40011

e: The collapsed version says it all though

https://microtransaction.zone/Search?q=star+citizen

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 27, 2019

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

the chances of any given project succeeding increases linearly with the distance the project puts between itself and the Crobbler.

That's why we bought him a yacht, FUDster :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.
Been away since I gots my refund. Is the game out or is it still three weeks to release?