Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Duck and Cover posted:

Stop this. Stop shopping by metrics it makes the quality for things worse since it can't be easily measured.

1. Okay sure, but I imagine most people don't need more battery. Easy to measure that though. I like when companies just lie/ruin the experience to get run time numbers.
2. It isn't worse, Microsoft has stores most people aren't going to take apart their laptops.
3. Can it? Okay. I assume it's their for a reason but I don't care enough to look it up.
4. Yeah it isn't trying to be a gaming machine/heavy video editing machine.
5. Sure. Except that XPS is a Dell and I find Dells to be garbage relying on being so cheap people forgive the bad build quality.

I've had a Lenovo Thinkpad, and a Dell they weren't as nice as my Surface Book so, so yeah there's a reason you might want the Microsoft laptop. Just because a computer isn't designed for you doesn't mean it "just stinks".

The notoriously poorly built xps series by dell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Demostrs posted:

it’s also not even the surface book 3 it’s from an entirely different line of products

I just kind of assumed he was talking abut the Surface laptop 3. I've totally made that mistake before, and think companies should learn to name there poo poo reasonably. Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus! Yeah okay.

Statutory Ape posted:

The notoriously poorly built xps series by dell

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. That's another thing you get people comparing the cheapest garbage to something that's ok and fawning over how great the build quality is. No it isn't great it's just not complete poo poo. Okay maybe it's amazing but my experience with Dell has been a lovely laptop ages ago for college, and my brother complaining about noise (I think it might have been an xps). Oh and I think I briefly fiddled with an XPS in a Costco.

Things may have changed, but I'm certainly not rushing out to buy an xps no matter what the specs may or may not say.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 27, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. That's another thing you get people comparing the cheapest garbage to something that's ok and fawning over how great the build quality is. No it isn't great it's just not complete poo poo. Okay maybe it's amazing but my experience with Dell has been a lovely laptop ages ago for college, and my brother complaining about noise (I think it might have been an xps). Oh and I think I briefly fiddled with an XPS in a Costco.

So you're basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the XPS, but are happy to spit opinions based on a completely different product line from years ago.

The XPS has pretty good build quality full stop. It may not quite be on par with the MBP in some aspects, but they keyboard also isn't total poo poo, so maybe that ends up being about a wash. There are only a very small number of laptops that one could say are actually higher quality, and even then it's not by much.

Basically: are you high, man?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The XPS 13 gets universal praise from what I've seen. The only reason I won't buy Dell is because their normal customer support is horrendous unless you pay like 350 for the premium experience. When I call Thinkpad support I'm pretty sure it's a Canadian call center and it's always great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

The XPS 13 gets universal praise from what I've seen. The only reason I won't buy Dell is because their normal customer support is horrendous unless you pay like 350 for the premium experience. When I call Thinkpad support I'm pretty sure it's a Canadian call center and it's always great.

Huh, I thought Lenovo had outsourced all of their tech support stuff a while back.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Huh, I thought Lenovo had outsourced all of their tech support stuff a while back.

I do think they outsourced it, in the sense that it's contracted to another company, but they didn't off-shore it, so you still get someone based in NA (or at least who has enough command of spoken English to make it seem that way). But, yeah, calling ThinkPad support lines is usually a reasonably pleasant experience, all things considered.

Dell's premier support line (Ultrasharps, XPS, etc) is also quite decent. I can't really comment on their lower tier support, though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

I do think they outsourced it, in the sense that it's contracted to another company, but they didn't off-shore it, so you still get someone based in NA (or at least who has enough command of spoken English to make it seem that way). But, yeah, calling ThinkPad support lines is usually a reasonably pleasant experience, all things considered.

Dell's premier support line (Ultrasharps, XPS, etc) is also quite decent. I can't really comment on their lower tier support, though.

Out of curiosity I looked it up and Lenovo consumer support is based in the Philippines while their corporate support is in Atlanta Georgia. But it's not like it's hard to find English speakers in the Philippines so it's a bit of a moot point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But it's not like it's hard to find English speakers in the Philippines so it's a bit of a moot point.

Colonialism has done it again, it's a side effect of the Spanish-American War.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Out of curiosity I looked it up and Lenovo consumer support is based in the Philippines while their corporate support is in Atlanta Georgia. But it's not like it's hard to find English speakers in the Philippines so it's a bit of a moot point.

I know their lower-spec lineups do use international call centers, but their Primer support is based out of somewhere in NC, IIRC.

Either way, their call centers are a lot better to deal with than most. Dell is also good, and Apple is probably the best, but all three are a ton better than you're likely to get out of Acer or whatever.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The 15 inch surface laptop 3 is also relatively cheap for the quality.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrDork posted:

So you're basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the XPS, but are happy to spit opinions based on a completely different product line from years ago.

The XPS has pretty good build quality full stop. It may not quite be on par with the MBP in some aspects, but they keyboard also isn't total poo poo, so maybe that ends up being about a wash. There are only a very small number of laptops that one could say are actually higher quality, and even then it's not by much.

Basically: are you high, man?

Here's the thing I'm use to the Macs (I haven't bought one in awhile and they sure have their issues). I'm use to the Surface. The Surface (at least the book and the tablet) is comparable to the Macs, the XPS from my brief experience with it in Costco isn't. Could my opinion change if I gave it more time maybe but doubtfully. That's all there is too it. Like my original post was pretty much saying the surface is a premium machine like the Macs and feels as such while the XPS not so much. The XPS is indeed cheaper, but there's a reason for that.

Oh and have you been to the Dell/Lenovo sites? Having sales all the time is tacky as gently caress and lowers my trust in a brand.

Here's Linus not being impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0XCn3HhNo&t=722s.

Basically gently caress off I'm sorry (I'm not really) I didn't do oodles of research because what I saw matched my expectations and saw no reason to dig deeper.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Macbook keyboards are trash right now. It's kind of really important. Even crappy Chromebooks have better keyboards. I rather have AIDS than use a Macbook. Macs are not premium until they fix this. Even Mac apologists like Daring Fireball writes that the keyboard is one of the worst things in Apple history. The new Mac OS Catalina is also a piece of poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"I owned a shitbox Dell ten years ago and played with an XPS in a Costco once"

fuckin lmao

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

"I owned a shitbox Dell ten years ago and played with an XPS in a Costco once"

fuckin lmao

Pretty much this. People here and on review sites the internet over don't praise the XPS as being one of the best laptops you can buy just for the gently caress of it.

I'll also readily admit that I'll trade quite a lot for a good keyboard on a laptop, which means that Apple and their idiotic quest to make everything as thin as humanly possible hasn't had a keyboard I'd touch with a 10-foot pole for years.

Though I'll give him a nod about the continuous sales: they're obnoxious and should be stopped. Just price your poo poo normally and be done with it--making yourself look like TJ Maxx with fake "retail" prices is stupid.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The sales things are stupid but they're pretty clearly working so its hard for me to fault a for profit company with a good product using tried and true methods to increase sales, and, ultimately, obfuscation, like just about most of their competition does

otoh, i guess i could just trust the company with more money than sovereign nations to keep their prices consistent and have that be an indicator of quality.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/20932406/microsoft-surface-laptop-3-13-5-inch-review-test-price-specs-features

This is a fair review of the 13" SL3. The keyboard really is very nice, although I'm not sure it's "the best" compared to Thinkpads or whatever. There's always a way to turn off that godawful autocontrast thing they mention here, but I don't know why Microsoft includes it by default on all its Surface products.

I did end up returning mine and buying a comparable 1080p XPS 13 instead, which I'm much happier with personally.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, but it's also The Verge, and The Verge are Bad At Their Jobs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrDork posted:

Pretty much this. People here and on review sites the internet over don't praise the XPS as being one of the best laptops you can buy just for the gently caress of it

To be fair the press has done that with every generation of XPS since the Unibody macbook came out and they talk down the XPS from two years ago each time

They are deeply flawed with crap WiFi cards, EMI leakage, badly placed webcams, poor speakers, plastic construction...

They are cheaper than an equally spec'd MacBook but I'd go Lenovo over Dell any day of the week

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lenovo Black Friday ad is out for anyone who is waiting to see what deals there will be

https://www.bfads.net/stores/lenovo/ads/black-friday

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just put in an order for a Surface Pro 7 with an i7, since it's from Costco, I can return it if it turns out to be junk.

What are the questions that people would like to have answered, and/or benchmarks run?

Alas, I intended to get the i7 Surface Laptop 3 from Costco as well, but it appears they pulled that SKU once preorders were up, because it's gone from their website. Will have to try and get one from the Microsoft Store in SF.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 29, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Commercial grade support is is great. A keycap on my T480s broke when popping it off to clean a poppyseed that fell in there a couple days ago. I called their support to see if I could get a replacement and without prompting they just sent me a whole new keyboard with next-day shipping because the warranty is still active.

From what I remember the person I spoke with was based out of Atlanta, but I don't think I called a business-specific line.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bob Morales posted:

They are deeply flawed with crap WiFi cards, EMI leakage, badly placed webcams, poor speakers, plastic construction...

none of that has been true for the last two gens at least.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

none of that has been true for the last two gens at least.

The XPS 15 is pretty good.

I would mainly knock for things like average speakers and also how thermally it really can't handle a CPU + DGPU running full blast during gaming.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Is there a good website where I can enter specifications I want to find a laptop that matches?

I'd like a 1080p display with > 300 nits of brightness, at least 8gb RAM, a decent keyboard, decent speakers, and good battery life. No need for a touch screen but I'm not against it. Thunderbolt 3 would be nice but isn't necessary.

My main uses would be word processing and video watching. I understand that I could probably use a cheap chromebook to fulfill this but I'm a PC enthusiast nerd and don't think I could comfortably adjust to the minimum needed.

My old laptop is a CLEVO P650SE / SAGER NP8651. It weighs 5.6 lbs, has a massive AC adapter, and poor battery life. It has a 15.6" screen, which is more than I need. Looking for a 13.3 or 14" one to replace it.
I don't think I'll do much gaming at all, given how I never used the Sager for games. If I were to go down that path again, I couldn't justify anything more than an NVIDIA MX250 on it.

e: https://www.newegg.com/burgundy-red-asus-zenbook-s-ux391ua-xb71-r-mainstream/p/N82E16834235034

Is this a good one?

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 1, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ashrik posted:

Is there a good website where I can enter specifications I want to find a laptop that matches?

I'd like a 1080p display with > 300 nits of brightness, at least 8gb RAM, a decent keyboard, decent speakers, and good battery life. No need for a touch screen but I'm not against it. Thunderbolt 3 would be nice but isn't necessary.

My main uses would be word processing and video watching. I understand that I could probably use a cheap chromebook to fulfill this but I'm a PC enthusiast nerd and don't think I could comfortably adjust to the minimum needed.

My old laptop is a CLEVO P650SE / SAGER NP8651. It weighs 5.6 lbs, has a massive AC adapter, and poor battery life. It has a 15.6" screen, which is more than I need. Looking for a 13.3 or 14" one to replace it.
I don't think I'll do much gaming at all, given how I never used the Sager for games. If I were to go down that path again, I couldn't justify anything more than an NVIDIA MX250 on it.

e: https://www.newegg.com/burgundy-red-asus-zenbook-s-ux391ua-xb71-r-mainstream/p/N82E16834235034

Is this a good one?

Notebookcheck has that kind of tool. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Search.8222.0.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ashrik posted:

Is this a good one?

Ultrabooks are your best bet especially since playing the latest games isn't important for how you are planning to use the laptop.

The main cutoff will be how much you are willing to spend and if you are have limited budget older refurbs are great way to save money.

https://www.laptopmag.com/best-ultrabooks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dell Black Friday ads are out. Couple XPS deals in there.
https://www.bfads.net/stores/dell-home/ads/black-friday/page-1#viewer
https://www.bfads.net/stores/dell-small-business/ads/black-friday/page-1#viewer

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I've been looking at the MSI Modern 14 (https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Modern-1...ptopz18-20&th=1) which seems to tick a lot of my boxes. I can't find a review for it that mentions the quality/brightness of the screen. Is it too recently released? I'm just hoping it has the same screen as the MSI Prestige 14.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Is that XPS 13 with the 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for 1199 a good deal? I know Dell is always doing “discounts” so it’s hard for me to tell if that’s a deal or if it’s always that price.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kung fu jive posted:

Is that XPS 13 with the 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for 1199 a good deal? I know Dell is always doing “discounts” so it’s hard for me to tell if that’s a deal or if it’s always that price.
It's the new XPS 13 2-in-1 with the 16:10 screen (looks like 8gb ram/ 256gb ssd in the ad?) so yes that's a good deal compared to what it normally costs (they give the price as $1400 in the ad) but it may not be a good deal compared to already cheaper (if 16:9) laptops like the regular XPS 13.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2019

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

The United States posted:

It's the new XPS 13 2-in-1 with the 16:10 screen (looks like 8gb ram/ 256gb ssd in the ad?) so yes that's a good deal compared to what it normally costs (they give the price as $1400 in the ad) but it may not be a good deal compared to already cheaper (if 16:9) laptops like the regular XPS 13.

I was talking about this one:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/3d0i

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s no non-Max Q 2070 or 2080 laptops running around, right? Those are desktop-only at the moment?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
They exist, yes. Most are MaxQ, but full fat ones do exist.

Examples: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/24319-laptops-nvidia-rtx-2080/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s no non-Max Q 2070 or 2080 laptops running around, right? Those are desktop-only at the moment?

The Asus GX502 is a full laptop 2070, not Max-Q

On another note, the MAG-15 apparently got a slew of updates that fixed most of the initial shortcomings. About the only one that's left is the 75C thermal limit on the GPU that can be bypassed in software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lc1aCrlIh8

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Eluktronics Mech 15 (no idea what the difference is between that and the new Mag 15) has a full 2070 option as well. One thing to note, though, is that even full 2070 laptop cards are sometimes significantly slower than they're desktop counterparts (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/article/1849-desktop-vs-laptop-gaming-performance/) so I don't know that the cost but over MQ would be worth it.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sager NP8454/Clevo PB51RF-G is another RTX 2070 that's non-Max Q.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
quick sanity check before i buy

My Aorus is dying from a broken hinge. I got it three years ago with a 3k screen, gsync, and a 1070 desktop card in it which infuriatingly is just about identical to the current crop of laptops out now.

Sanity check before I buy:

the Lenovo Legion Y740 15

It's 2K CAD, 2070 Max-Q, screen is only 1080p but 144hz and gsync and 500 nits is a really cool combination and that screen brightness has me pretty captivated.

i have plenty of storage and RAM to upgrade it with and unlike the razer blade it has slots aplenty to upgrade.

Anything in particular I'm hugely missing here? I'm not sure what I can realistically get in Canada that would be better for the price and comparable to my existing one.

E: has anyone actually gotten the 500 nit screen also? Very hard to find reviews of it online.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 4, 2019

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

quick sanity check before i buy

My Aorus is dying from a broken hinge. I got it three years ago with a 3k screen, gsync, and a 1070 desktop card in it which infuriatingly is just about identical to the current crop of laptops out now.

Sanity check before I buy:

the Lenovo Legion Y740 15

It's 2K CAD, 2070 Max-Q, screen is only 1080p but 144hz and gsync and 500 nits is a really cool combination and that screen brightness has me pretty captivated.

i have plenty of storage and RAM to upgrade it with and unlike the razer blade it has slots aplenty to upgrade.

Anything in particular I'm hugely missing here? I'm not sure what I can realistically get in Canada that would be better for the price and comparable to my existing one.

The only caveat I remember with the Y740 is that the keyboard's macro keys are placed on the left side which can result in bad ergonomics for some users.

EDIT: Here's a video on the 500 nit screen: https://youtu.be/cFFtwO6GBHk

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 4, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Anything in particular I'm hugely missing here?

Repairing the hinge to wait for more efficient 7nm mobile GPUs next year is out of question?. That's what I'd do unless the newer laptop has other qualities you are specifically looking for (weight, portability, noise/heat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

eames posted:

Repairing the hinge to wait for more efficient 7nm mobile GPUs next year is out of question?. That's what I'd do unless the newer laptop has other qualities you are specifically looking for (weight, portability, noise/heat).

Rumors say first half of 2020 for the 7nm GPUs so they’re just around the corner too.