Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EL BROMANCE posted:

3/5 is higher than I was expecting, so maybe I won't hate it as much as I thought.

If you liked the first one and/or also thought it was a 3/5 movie, you'll enjoy the sequel...it's also a 3/5. It's just more of the same thing, but not as bad as other belated sequels like anchorman 2, supertroopers 2, zoolander 2, etc etc. As a movie on its own it's probably closer to 1.5-2/5 but taken in the context of a franchise it could have been much much much worse. It's basically made to be a drunken double feature with your friends and I think it'll be successful on that metric. There are way too many other movies out right now that I would say skip this and watch it at home if you haven't seen the rest of the better releases.

e: in official form

zombieland *rewatch* - 3/5
zomebieland 2 - 3/5
parasite - 4/5 - Made it to my best of 2019 list.

This week if I don't get booked for work - The Lighthouse, Greener Grass, Jojo Rabbit...high hopes for these.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Lighthouse 5/5 - Goddamn what a treat. Equal parts Kubrick and Hitchcock while being a wholly unique thing. Pattinson is just as great as Dafoe here too. Eggers is definitely one of the best of his generation and I hope he keeps getting to do weird stuff. Definitely see it in theaters, the cinematography is spectacular and the aspect ratio is used very well.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 25, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

The Lighthouse 5/5 - Goddamn what a treat. Equal parts Kubrick and Hitchcock while being a wholly unique thing. Pattinson is just as great as Dafoe here too. Eggers is definitely one of the best of his generation and I hope he keeps getting to do weird stuff. Definitely see it in theaters, the cinematography is spectacular and the aspect ratio is used very well.

I've heard a few reactions on here that it was more sedate than the trailers imply, not horror and a mild thriller if anything. Can you see any reason why some might react that way?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

lurker2006 posted:

I've heard a few reactions on here that it was more sedate than the trailers imply, not horror and a mild thriller if anything. Can you see any reason why some might react that way?

It's the same vibe as lynch, creepy and unsettling at times but not horror. This movie has fart jokes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it's a very humorous movie. More background tension than direct, long fun drinking scenes reminiscent of Jaws, fart and slapstick humor come and go, etc. It's just a fever dream of a movie with some really distinct tense moments but I would not call it horror, even less than I would call The Witch horror.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The VVItch is absolutely horror.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imo The VVitch is one of the best horror films in recent memory, along with mother!, Hereditary, and Under the Skin.

Ex Machina and Annihilation have their moments, too.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

imo The VVitch is one of the best horror films in recent memory, along with mother!, Hereditary, and Under the Skin.

Ex Machina and Annihilation have their moments, too.

Not sure what everyone sees in Hereditary that I dont.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

TommyGun85 posted:

I haven't seen a family tragedy in a film more compelling than the first half of Heriditary even with a couple of the plotholes(chopping nuts at a party?), the brother trying to sleep away the reality of getting his sister killed and then having it confirmed in the morning by his mom's screams was particularly inspired. The occult shenanigans that followed seemed laughable in comparison. but the gut punch of the first half made it worth sitting through... once.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 26, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

It's a really compelling directorial debut imo. It's well shot and acted, it's weird, and it's construction has a number of good callbacks to 70s horror.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah Hereditary was really great direction with a plot that goes off the rails towards the end. I'm not crazy about Midsommar's script either but Aster is a hell of a director.

As for horror/not-horror both Egger and Asters films are more dread, trauma, and other horror adjacent emotions driven than being directly scary. There were a few moments in Hereditary that were classic and direct horror, but as a whole all 4 films from the two of them (Eggers more than Aster) transcend the horror genre and I can see why general audiences struggle with or dislike them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah Hereditary was really great direction with a plot that goes off the rails towards the end. I'm not crazy about Midsommar's script either but Aster is a hell of a director.

As for horror/not-horror both Egger and Asters films are more dread, trauma, and other horror adjacent emotions driven than being directly scary. There were a few moments in Hereditary that were classic and direct horror, but as a whole all 4 films from the two of them (Eggers more than Aster) transcend the horror genre and I can see why general audiences struggle with or dislike them.

They don't really transcend the horror genre, to be fair, they are a more 'classic' version of the genre (if we're going to use that term) that's focused on psychological horror and existential dread, rather than jumpscares and the conservative slasher methodology. Psychological horror is more concerned with building an atmospohere through gradual pacing, and continual reasurrances to the audience while inserting constant small off-kilter reminders of the nagging interplay between surface and substance.

mother! might be in neither category even though it nods to a half dozen 70s horror films. Though psychological atmosphere and trauma is certainly a big part of that film and the way it keeps our focus on JL's reaction, it's still more of a horror film by way of comedy of errors.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally have seen Rush Hour. 7/10 it's a solid movie, and I'm glad I watched it, but I don't think I'll watch it again. Somehow it has the exact same feel as Jackie Chan's later Hong Kong work even though its a big budget American made Hollywood movie. Which works beautifully but I think I've burned my self out on martial arts and martial arts adjacent films for the moment.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
hereditary was better than the witch, but the witch was better then midsommar.

someone needs to cut the final shots of the reluctant protagonists at the end of all three together in one supercut and we'll call it "emotional curveball: the movie"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

JBP posted:

I just watched Warm Bodies. I have put off or just skipped this movie for years despite friend recommendations. I regret it.

10/10

Warm Bodies is amazing.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Zombieland is a 3/5 movie turned 4/5 purely for the Bill Murray scene for me.

Zombieland Double Tap would've been a 2/5 movie but new addition Zoey Deutch, used sparingly, made it a 3/5, and the cameos by Luke Wilson and Thomas Middleditch were perfect. The parts in between not so much. There are lots of retreads: the opening credits and rules with the kinetic text peppered throughout, zombie kill of the week year, Wichita and Little Rock flake out, the bells and whistles set piece finale. Despite this, the movie does stand out on it's own, but the ending is a bit rushed with a Deus Ex Machina moment - not quite as well written as the original. They should've made a prequel movie from the end credits instead tbh

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 28, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
greener grass - 0/5 - what in the actual gently caress was this. Did not laugh once, legit painful to get through. First movie I've ever thought about asking for a refund after so that's something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Counter-review: Greener Grass 3.5/5. Wish I hadn’t seen the trailer already as it covered a lot of what would’ve been surprising moments, but worked well as a weird as hell look at suburban life. Definitely gonna be in the midnight cult screenings of the future.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The only thing I saw before I went was 2 or 3 shots (the shot where one of the moms is overlooking the pool at night and it whips downward to beck bennet trying to eat the water while walking around in the pool). I like absurdist stuff, I like surrealist stuff, I enjoy a good chunk of the comedic actors in this film from ucb and wild horses etc etc. Schizopolis is one of my favorite movies ffs, this shoulda been my jam. This movie feels like when an SNL or comedy bang bang sketch is an absolute miss and you cringe the entire time, only it's an hour and 41 minutes long. I feel like I was in another planet or something..myself and the people to my left and right sat there stonefaced and the rest of the tiny tiny theater laughed at EVERY, SINGLE, LINE which made it all the more frustrating.

An example of the humor of this film:

A character talking about giving birth to a soccer ball (there's no context to this at all so I'm not sure how it's a spoiler);
"We'll name it wilson"
- "but that's tom hanks baby"
"OK then Twilson"

oof. just, oof.

I almost wanna give it a .5/5 cuz the golden lab crushes it. He (or she) was a v. good boy. I wish I was petting that dog for 104 minutes.

e: The NY times hated it too, so at least it's not just me. Every other review is glowing somehow, especially from the festival runs.

quote:

Like a “Saturday Night Live” sketch that doesn’t know when to dial back the weird, “Greener Grass” can be painful to watch. A deadpan take on suburban hell — I hesitate to call it a comedy, black or otherwise — the movie takes competitiveness to such excruciatingly surreal lengths that every would-be joke feels agonizingly strained.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 29, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm sure you've seen El Camino by now if such a thing interests you, and I'm not sure it has any appeal to someone who's not a fan of the Breaking Bad show but if you are it's really good.

See One Cut of the Dead please. The less you know of it the better but if you want to watch the trailer, fine. But really it's great and should be shown in editing 101 class in undergrad film school.

See Wrinkles the Clown if you really enjoy watching videos of stupid kids on youtube I guess.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
jojo rabbit - 3.5/5 - i liked it, it has heart/charm and a few solid moments.. i'm kind of over the hidden jew in the floorboard/wall trope though personally, it just feels lazy as hell when its the exact same scene in every movie..historically jews were saved in a lot of clever ways, can we show anything else for once?

on a personal level it feels weird to laugh at bumbling keystone cop nazis..i lost family members to the camps so i'm conflicted..meanwhile i laughed my rear end off at death of stalin, and i'm sure if I were russian and lost family thanks to that rear end in a top hat I would have felt the same way...so I'm a giant hypocrite.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happy to give Good Boys a 4/5 rating simply due to the fact it made me laugh regularly enough, which is all I really want out of a mainstream comedy. Given how few of those there are each year (that aren't awful at least), a bump in ratings feels deserved. Grading on a scale!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
the current war - 3/5 - when you know a movie was sitting on a shelf for 2 years, that the director had to wrestle a final cut out of, with no marketing and there's 0 other audience members four days after release (in nyc no less)...you kind of prepare for the worst...
this movie is not as bad as whatever cut screened for folks 2 years ago..plus i really find the historical topic it covers incredibly fascinating which is why i went in the first place. i liked it!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

zer0spunk posted:

jojo rabbit - 3.5/5 - i liked it, it has heart/charm and a few solid moments.. i'm kind of over the hidden jew in the floorboard/wall trope though personally, it just feels lazy as hell when its the exact same scene in every movie..historically jews were saved in a lot of clever ways, can we show anything else for once?

on a personal level it feels weird to laugh at bumbling keystone cop nazis..i lost family members to the camps so i'm conflicted..meanwhile i laughed my rear end off at death of stalin, and i'm sure if I were russian and lost family thanks to that rear end in a top hat I would have felt the same way...so I'm a giant hypocrite.

My take is that evil should be insulted constantly, because it's almost always dumb as loving poo poo if you look at it for 30 seconds. The horrors of the Nazi regime weren't funny at all, but Nazisim was always some really loving stupid trash for gullible garbage people, and fascist efficiency was almost always IRL a clown car full of drunk morons fighting over the wheel as they careened off a cliff. It's actually hard to overstate what creepy weirdo fuckup losers the Nazis mostly were. Depicting them as uniformly efficient monsters is ahistorical and glamorizes them in its own way.

Also there's nothing that those kind of people hate more than to not be taken seriously. You don't make people who love Stalin mad by saying he killed lots of people, you do it by showing him acting like a bitch and then pissing himself.

(I'm also pretty sure I stole this whole like of thinking from Mel Brooks FWIW)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Also there's nothing that those kind of people hate more than to not be taken seriously. You don't make people who love Stalin mad by saying he killed lots of people, you do it by showing him acting like a bitch and then pissing himself.
)

The careers of Nigel Farage, Bolsonaro, Boris Johnson, and Donald Trump prove that these cretins absolutely love to not be taken seriously. The first three only got to where they are precisely because they understood from early that playing the morning/panel show fool was a way to get their inane ideas into the public.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nobody gives the godfather of modern fascism his due but Berlusconi, who's basically like if Rupert Murdoch were elected PM of Australia, practically invented this.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

The careers of Nigel Farage, Bolsonaro, Boris Johnson, and Donald Trump prove that these cretins absolutely love to not be taken seriously. The first three only got to where they are precisely because they understood from early that playing the morning/panel show fool was a way to get their inane ideas into the public.

It's all fun and games until somebody loses and eye.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

saw The Lighthouse

:stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpJNJ597kQ

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Best leave him be

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Parasite - 5/5. drat, just a wild ride with a lot to take in. Intense, funny, thoughtful, and surprising. His best movie yet by a mile.

Really interesting seeing this back to back with Lighthouse too. Very similar experiences from vastly different films.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 6, 2019

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Frankenweenie (1984)--4/5

I never got around to watching this old short until this past Halloween. Honestly, its a lot of fun and perfectly good as-is; I don't see why Tim Burton felt the need to re-make it as a full-length animated feature.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Terminator: Dark Fate

1/5

Yikes. Everything wrong with big budget movies today.

It gets 1 point for featuring a former murderbot talking about interior design faux pas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Official Secrets 4/5

This definitely felt by the books for a whistleblower/leaker movie and it's nothing special direction or cinematography wise, but it's competently made, is well paced for 2 hour movie, and maintains the tension throughout. Mostly though it's an interesting story that I've heard nothing about before despite being around to watch Gulf War II:Gulf Harder. Can you imagine, they've been lying to us!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Terminator: Dark Fate

1/5

Yikes. Everything wrong with big budget movies today.

It gets 1 point for featuring a former murderbot talking about interior design faux pas.

I'd give it a 2.5/5, completely typical but non-offensive with a few fun moments and dumb set pieces. Linda Hamilton had a lot of fun saying gently caress a lot.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
The Art of Self Defence

Masculinity is bad, one could say almost toxic?

1/5

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm not that much into attaching numbers to a movie, but I just watched "Dead Man's Shoes" (2004) and can highly recommend it.

It's a very, very low budget british film about a man returning from the army to enact vengeance on the small town criminals who bullied his mentally challenged younger brother while he was away.
Chilling stuff up until the very end.

Unless you're british you may even want to turn on the subtitles for this one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
evil dead *rewatch* - 4/5 - first time seeing the newer transfer of this, looks great. it doesn't get a higher rating because I still think the tree rape scene is incredibly stupid and the lack of a real makeup person kinda deflates a bit of the horror value (which I totally understand is a given considering the film studenty nature of this and the lack of a budget, but if you compare it to things like the exorcist, the makeup is reallllllly bad) ...The ending is still perfect and I still wish it didn't have sequels but I'm in the minority on that.
one by one we will take you, the making of evil dead - 3/5 - a doc about the making of...only they couldn't get bruce or sam for interviews. They do get basically the rest of the cast though, who primarily talk about how not fun it was to do weeks of night shoots in a location with no power or water. So it fluctuates between actors talking poo poo about the conditions and praising rami for being a genius. You do get to see some BTS which is the most interesting stuff obviously. It's literally a bunch of kids making a horror movie and having a blast (sams smiling in almost every BTS moment, usually smoking a cig while slating the shot)..we also get serious apologies about painting directly on actors faces due to the lack of budget/sfx tech.
evil dead 2 *rewatch* - 4/5 - arguably what sets the horror-comedy tone for the rest of the series..which I love even though it's an entirely different beast than the first film. Bruce steps it up, and so does sam. The movies uses every trick in the book from reverse filming to stop motion (!)..
It gets a lot of poo poo for being a total retread of the first movie but when you learn a few things about the behind the scenes of this one, it becomes forgivable (this was going to be "medievil dead" (aka AoD) but they couldn't secure the funding for that properly, so this basically became a placeholder movie until they could get AOD made...plus the movie between ED and ED2 flopped hard for sam, hence him being open to doing this one out of necessity.)
swallowed souls, the making of ED2 - 4/5 - if you're going to watch one making of from the trilogy, this is the one to pick. They actually get bruce for interviews on this one, which is great because he's also a producer on these films, so we get both actor side stories and knowledge of the inner working of production from him. On top of that, they actually have real SFX guys on ED2 who happened to videotape just about every day on set, so the BTS stuff from them is amazing. I appreciate this film so much more now having seen this making of..they cut a ton of stuff, sometimes even down to filmed SFX sequences..a good example- scotty demons off screen death...they filmed a sequence where SFX made an animatronic skull slice of the demon that could wiggle and we see ash chop the gently caress out of scotty's corpse while the head pieces move around and watch him. Apparently that was over the line somehow..like did anyone watch the rest of this movie? THAT was the thing that everyone thought was too much?? If you love ED2 you should check out this doc.
Army of Darkness: theatrical cut - 3.5/5 - So, confession time..I somehow never saw AoD other than clips with the oft-quoted lines..I don't know how this was possible, did it just never play on cable? There's a killer restoration with all the various cuts that came out a few years ago, so I started with the theatrical cut. I mean it's AoD, not sure what to say. It ramps up the goofy comedy to an 11 while basically killing the horror aspects. Raimi refers to this one as an adventure film where 2 was black comedy and 1 is straight horror..Most of the effects hold up in a special goofy kinda way, with the rear projection composite stuff looking the dumbest/worst. I actually don't hate the studio "happy ending" all that much..but I personally liked the DC ending more..which leads me to
Army of Darkness: Directors cut - 3.5/5 - I ended up watching this version the next day, with the OG opening too (ash gives a recap of the series, bookending the OG ending)...Most of the changes are pretty silly (like showing more exploding skeletons, etc)..Notable changes being the inclusion of the entire windmill scene and the different ending entirely. I thought it was kinda cool seeing the entire windmill thing rather then a tiny piece of it, but I get why it was cut down for pacing..The downer planet of the apes ending is ballsy and I kinda love it...Not to say the forced happy ending is bad or anything, I like both versions..I just like that sam kinda goes full gently caress it mode with this one..and the idea of "omega man ash" in bruces words for the sequel we never (will never) get would have been badass...I get the complaints that this ending makes ash an idiot..but it's pretty in character with his actions throughout the movie so..shrug.
medieval times, the making of AOD - 4/5 - another solid making of, but mostly for the insane stories about this shoot...we again get a ton of BTS on tape stuff filmed by the FX guys from ED2...the stories pretty much flip between all the bullshit they dealt with from being a studio mpaa rated film for the first time, and the actors complaining about the shoot itself (length, location, poo poo pay, crazy extras, etc etc). Yet again they fail to get sam for interviews, which is hilarious to me..Best parts of this one are first and second hand stories about Sam seeing how much abuse bruce could take for his own amusement before bruce would tell him to gently caress off. Legit making him do things that aren't in the script and won't ever make the movie just to gently caress with him..It cracks me up hard. Way more set stories in this then the ED or ED2 docs, which I always find fascinating. (At one point they caught two extras loving in a bush, etc etc)
evil dead 2013 2/5 - finally saw this...I tried to avoid knowing too much about it other than the praise it got when it came out..I went in with high hopes. It's..fine? It feels nothing like what its trying to remake and just entirely relies on gore porn like an eli roth movie...which did nothing for me. Kind of glad this dead ended and didn't launch its own series of sequels...Even the first evil dead didn't take it self as serious as this film does, which sort of sucks the joy out of the whole thing. Maybe it was just me. That post credits thing was weird as hell too.

moving on from a ton of evil dead...

terminator genisys 1/5 - holy poo poo was this awful...i don't even know where to start or what to say that hasn't been said a million times already. just a total miss on every front..
terminator dark fate 1.5/5 - also awful, but at least gets another half point for ignoring movies 3-5 and having some badass linda hamilton moments...it's a shame it wasn't in a much better movie. the fight scenes, for the most part, are entertaining when they don't devolve into absolutely ridiculous set pieces..i genuinely thought the rev9/mackenzie stuff was pretty rad in sheer movement/choreography fandom..esp when compared to everything after t2..less clunky hulk smash, more grace if that makes sense.
arrival - 2/5 - i was really looking forward to this one after hearing nothing but good things..what a huge letdown..the only saving grace here for me was bradford youngs cinematography...after looking at some of the reviews/imdb comments i almost feel like i saw a totally different movie...reminded me a ton of the disappointment that was annihilation..it's like this movie was a lovely version of contact..which was already a 3/5 movie itself. reinforces that i can't trust echo chamber hype or imdb scores.
drive - 3/5 - someone spoiled this for me when it came out, so it kind of soured me on checking it out...i like a lot of refns stuff (pusher series and bronson being his peak/standout work for me personally)..this movie is stylistically rad but pretty devoid of an actual message/plot other then the usual predictable beats..i like the aesthetic, i liked when it was actually allowed to show driving because it was always done incredibly clever/badass but the weight of the rest of the movie just averages both parts out instead of it being an instant classic that i'd rewatch often or something..plus the bias of going in already knowing where it ends up is really hard to shake when reviewing a thing..
i love you daddy 1/5 - another weird one where i can't go in without now looking at louie ck as a gross fuckhead...which makes this film meta as hell because that's the entirety of his character...not to mention how tone-deaf this film being about consent/predators/sexuality is when it's written by ck himself too. it's a very uncomfortable film, without the real-life aspects, and especially so with. trying to think about it as a film, it's also pretty lovely. the performances are fairly wooden, the soundtrack is wildly out of place in trying to emulate a film from the 40s and 50s..this is coming from someone who appreciates this stuff in his fx show..but stretch it out into a film, with the premise this has and holy gently caress does this film not work on any level. it's a bad movie through and through before any of the controversy..i don't think it would have killed his career but it for sure would have damaged his rep as a director...think louie ck trying very hard to make a manhattan era woody allen film, but really succeeding in emulating modern-day lackluster woody to a tee. i think the one review that called this a really lovely version of "deconstructing harry" nailed it..usually i'd advocate for the release of any shelved/banned/lost film (dying to see day the clown cried) but this should stay buried

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 13, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
waves - 4.5/5 - goddamn another excellent a24 release... I went in knowing nothing other then it was getting crazy good reviews and it was so drat good in its approach on what otherwise would have been a fairly alright story. Ending on one of my favorite songs was such a nice perfect transition.. I have one minor nitpick but I'll save that for when it opens wider and gets discussed.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Official Secrets 4/5

This definitely felt by the books for a whistleblower/leaker movie and it's nothing special direction or cinematography wise, but it's competently made, is well paced for 2 hour movie, and maintains the tension throughout. Mostly though it's an interesting story that I've heard nothing about before despite being around to watch Gulf War II:Gulf Harder. Can you imagine, they've been lying to us!

It's a good showing off how a "democracy" and "rights" are like skin deep. They guys in the train and her husband particularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doctor Sleep 3.5/5 - Way better than you'd expect a sequel to The Shining (film or book) to be. It pulls from both King and Kubrick pretty equally from what I understand and deviates from the book a lot, but I think it mostly worked. It sticks to a lot of the big thematic strings of The Shining and those are the best parts, but the wacky Twilight villains and larger world building stuff aren't as compelling but still work in the story I think. Casting was pretty solid, specifically the voice work all of the actors do to sound like Shelly and Jack. Some really fun shots and playing with the iconic original were the highlight, but it didn't linger on any of it too long to make it cheesy. Mike Flanagan continues to be a really solid director and if you like his earlier stuff and The Shining you'll probably enjoy this.

I will say though, the color grading is really bad made for tv blue tint bullshit and it really sucked, especially in a lot of outside shots. Wish they had just shot on film or at least graded it to be closer to the original.