Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

uhhh isn’t fat Diane a totally separate character unless I’m forgetting something from the last couple eps

did you miss her picking up Guy at the airport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Peanut Butler posted:

did you miss her picking up Guy at the airport

I didn't really notice her being fat there. Can anyone tell me a time stamp or grab a screenshot?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

LividLiquid posted:

Almost slept with a teenage girl after getting her drunk, gave a teenager alcohol poisoning, enabled a girl for whom he was a father figure and giving her the drugs that killed her, lied to the cops about it, and got so hosed up on pills that he strangled his co-star

There will be consequences. They just might not be legal consequences. Do you think once all that news comes out, he'll still be teaching at loving Wesleyan, of all places? That he'll have a good relationship with his sister? That the world won't turn on him once it comes out what a scumbag he is? And do you think he won't struggle to not relapse in the face of it?

No. This is going to be devastating.

The writers can make whatever story they want but they have told us there will be no punishment many times. No one is going to turn on him. He could admit to it all and Hollywoo would take it as confessional or he could stick to his story and the ambiguity would let him off the hook. Hollyhock was with him while he was out of his mind on pills, she knows he is bad around young women but still has a relationship with him. Ironically the one thing that he can't skate on, strangling his co-star, and Gina goes on television and says its all a big misunderstanding. 30 Rock said that murder is the only thing that can use up your good will but evn OJ has his supporters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I didn't notice it at all, but it would make sense. She doesn't live in LA anymore. People in LA are loving thin. The pressure to keep up is immense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Also seeing talk of antidepressants be relegated to one episode when it's such a major part of modern depression for a lot of folks felt disappointing to me. I've had a complicated relationship with antidepressants, so I'm a little worn when antidepressants are characterized as "Oh I'm happier with them but they make me boring and I'll gain weight." Like yeah, that happens sometimes, but there's a whole lot of other dimensions to antidepressants and I guess I wanted to see more of that.

Obviously, Bojack is under no obligation to cater to my needs or perspective, but it's just how I felt watching it.

I think that was just the start of the anti-depressants storyline and Diane getting fat is a good visual cue that she's on them.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."

Dmitri-9 posted:

The writers can make whatever story they want but they have told us there will be no punishment many times. No one is going to turn on him. He could admit to it all and Hollywoo would take it as confessional or he could stick to his story and the ambiguity would let him off the hook. Hollyhock was with him while he was out of his mind on pills, she knows he is bad around young women but still has a relationship with him. Ironically the one thing that he can't skate on, strangling his co-star, and Gina goes on television and says its all a big misunderstanding. 30 Rock said that murder is the only thing that can use up your good will but evn OJ has his supporters.

I think the end result will be that Bojack himself is going to be Judge and Jury in a trial against himself at this point. The actual conflict won't be external, but internal. Bojack is trying to be a better person, and actually succeeding this time around. Had this happened seasons ago, he would have crumpled like wet newspaper under his own self hatred and substance abuse. He's doing better now, but he still needs to face his own demons and take responsibility for his own actions, and how he deals with that is what all this tension is actually building up towards. Will he, at long last, actually manage to wrest full control of the ship away from his own self loathing and become a better person, or will he ultimately slide back into old habits? The take away from this show, I think, has always been that the only person who can make you a better person is yourself, whether you like it or not. You can blame lovely parents, or your job, or life, but ultimately, it's always up to you. We've been watching six seasons of a talking Horse learning that lesson in the hardest ways possible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

The writers can make whatever story they want but they have told us there will be no punishment many times. No one is going to turn on him.

Harvey Weinstein is already back to showing up to young actor events with an entourage of young women and getting outspoken women kicked out for attacking him about being there.

What's going to happen if anything is Bojack expects punishment and some kind of consequence but finds the world doesn't really care and aside from his sister and maybe Diane very few people will care at all. There won't be some magical moment where everything is made right or better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't really notice her being fat there. Can anyone tell me a time stamp or grab a screenshot?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Worst thing about this season is how Netflix messed up the autoplay timing and cut off "Back in the '90s" too soon.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

Harvey Weinstein is already back to showing up to young actor events with an entourage of young women and getting outspoken women kicked out for attacking him about being there.

What's going to happen if anything is Bojack expects punishment and some kind of consequence but finds the world doesn't really care and aside from his sister and maybe Diane very few people will care at all. There won't be some magical moment where everything is made right or better.

Weinstein is doing all of this before his rape trial. He still might end up going to prison although I wouldn’t bet on it.

Granted, considering that BJ exists in a universe where Congress passed a law legalizing murder for billionaires and an amendment ending the right to bear arms purely out of fear of women, we have no reason to believe that he will face actual consequences.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 28, 2019

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Any of those things will be enough to lose him his new job and send him back down a drunken binge. Probably try to kill himself too. My current guess is jumping off the observatory.

Nah, someone mentioned earlier and it's too perfect that he'll either try to drown himself or he'll drown him self accidentally due to slipping back into his habits. Remember him giving away the Narcissism painting (Horse looking at another horse in the pool) and mentioning that he thought it was himself. They've always been good about foreshadowing within the jokes. Plus it'd tie back to the title sequence we've been watching for 6 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter that find him either.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think it'll be a little too obvious if he dies in a pool. Everyone thought Mad Men was going to end with Don jumping out a window for the same reason.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
With how often the bedsheet rope's come up, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes one to try and hang himself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bee posted:

With how often the bedsheet rope's come up, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes one to try and hang himself.
I don't know if I'd like that. It'd be like dying by falling into the Halloween store.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Authorities suspected he had attempted suicide; Horseman said he had been doing the Funky Spiderman

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Snipee posted:

an amendment ending the right to bear arms purely out of fear of women

This always bothered me. White men don't care if women use guns or not, it's minorities, especially black people.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've been immensely saddened by that reporter's interview with Sarah Lynn's mom, and how delusional she still is even now .

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for this, I had missed that.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

SEX BURRITO posted:

A lot of this season has shown that men in Hollywoo can literally get away with anything, while women can have one bad day and have it follow them forever. So while I think there will be a big deal made out of the reveal, it’ll just show the news cycle moving on the next day.

Also: the rich can legally get away with murder now!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

This always bothered me. White men don't care if women use guns or not, it's minorities, especially black people.

That episode was so lazy in a really strong season. The same with the episode with Todd and his dad this year. BoJack is the best when it's not shoving the Moral Of the Story in your face like so many lesser shows.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

LinYutang posted:

That episode was so lazy in a really strong season. The same with the episode with Todd and his dad this year. BoJack is the best when it's not shoving the Moral Of the Story in your face like so many lesser shows.

On the other hand, "Hank After Dark", "Brrap Brrap Pew Pew" (though this may also be due to the absurdity/humour than actual political message) and "Bojack the Feminist" were some of the show's stronger episodes while being very anvilicious.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Within the fiction, the women were specifically buying guns to protect themselves from men. The men were reacting to that. Not that women were using guns.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably because handling it as a racial thing just has too many complicating factors in this universe, as we've noted.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Huh, that's fairly significant. That's a really unhealthy gain in such a short time. But I guess, they had to make it obvious so that people like me don't miss it.
That jacket is really slimming, though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Why'd they recast Pickles?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I did not notice Pickles got recast! That is weird.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh, that's fairly significant. That's a really unhealthy gain in such a short time. But I guess, they had to make it obvious so that people like me don't miss it.
That jacket is really slimming, though.

It’s a visual cue that she’s decided to take her anti-depressants. Because, as anyone who has ever been on them can tell you, they make you gain weight. Among other things.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

PostNouveau posted:

But they sound nothing alike.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nooneofconsequence posted:

But they sound nothing alike.

Maybe that’s noticeable if you rewatched last season recently but for those of us who didn’t it’s not obvious at all. I had no idea until it was mentioned in the thread

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s a visual cue that she’s decided to take her anti-depressants. Because, as anyone who has ever been on them can tell you, they make you gain weight. Among other things.

That really depends on what antidepressants you are on, and even then, it's somewhat based on genetic luck. There are antidepressants out there that don't cause weight gain.

LividLiquid posted:

Within the fiction, the women were specifically buying guns to protect themselves from men. The men were reacting to that. Not that women were using guns.

Yeah, I doubt that many conservatives would still support the 2nd Amendment as zealously if large numbers of women started armed themselves across the nation specifically to defend themselves against men. Don't forget that time in US history when cities banned hat pins because too many women were using them as self-defense against molesters.

quote:

In March 1910, Chicago’s city council ran with that idea, debating an ordinance that would ban hatpins longer than nine inches; any woman caught in violation would be arrested and fined $50. The proceedings were packed with curious spectators, men and women, and acrimonious from the start. “If women care to wear carrots and roosters on their heads, that is a matter for their own concern, but when it comes to wearing swords they must be stopped,” a supporter said. Cries of “Bravo!” from the men; hisses from the women. Nan Davis, there to represent several women’s clubs, asked for permission to address the committee. “If the men of Chicago want to take the hatpins away from us, let them make the streets safe,” she said. “No man has a right to tell me how I shall dress and what I shall wear.”

Despite Davis’ impassioned speech, the ordinance passed by a vote of 68 to 2. Similar laws subsequently passed in several other cities, including Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and New Orleans. Ten thousand miles away, in Sydney, Australia, sixty women went to jail rather than pay fines for wearing “murderous weapons” in their hats. Even conservative London ladies steadfastly refused to buy hatpin point protectors.

Admittedly, it was back before women could vote, but the votes in places like Chicago weren't even close.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Snipee posted:

Yeah, I doubt that many conservatives would still support the 2nd Amendment as zealously if large numbers of women started armed themselves across the nation specifically to defend themselves against men. Don't forget [url=https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/hatpin-peril-terrorized-men-who-couldnt-handle-20th-century-woman-180951219/]that time in US history when cities banned hat pins because too many women were using them as self-defense against molesters.[/urll]

21st century men don't care, because they don't imagine white women burglarizing their homes or leading a insurrection in the country. They imagine minorities and especially blacks doing so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Argue posted:

Was that mid-sentence joke a jab at any particular movie or show?

I thought it was a reference to this season. All the temporally mixed up flashbacks, and then the season break is basically mid sentence.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I didn't notice either. When somebody pointed out in the thread I didn't even believe them, had to go check.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Wafflecopper posted:

Maybe that’s noticeable if you rewatched last season recently but for those of us who didn’t it’s not obvious at all. I had no idea until it was mentioned in the thread

I watched it a year ago I guess that's recent?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

none of the things that could come out about bojack will lead to him not being rich, or going to jail, or incapable of getting another acting gig

it will still destroy his life in most aspects outside of that i.e. the things he's specifically been working towards during the entirety of the show's runtime and the things capable of giving him the happiness he so craves

the difference between bojack and vance waggoner is vance waggoner just wanted to hit on preteens for the rest of his life. bojack wants something different, so while vance and bojack will get off "scot free" in the same manner the consequences will be far more devastating to bojack than they were to vance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LividLiquid posted:

Almost slept with a teenage girl after getting her drunk

Penny wasn’t drunk, though. She very specifically says that she didn’t drink anything and that she was old enough to give legal consent.

Not that it’s fine for a 30+ year old to be sleeping with a 17 year old but still, she wasn’t drunk like you said.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I didn't care for the entire Mr PB/Pickles marriage subplot, aside from the surprise wedding bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's nice to see Mr. Peanutbutter have some character growth along with everyone else but Todd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

I feel like I should note that this is already a thing in real life, almost to the point of it being a cliche. There's entire lines of little .22 and .380 derringers meant to be carried in a purse to ward off attackers, and it's not an accident that you'll see a bunch of pink guns if you go to Academy or Cabela's.

Because white men can just assume women are defending themselves from black men, rather than the reality of it being them, this does not factor into gun control at all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Thinking on it, I love the symmetry of episodes 7 and 8. 7 being Bojack making amends with the people in his life who, while still his closest friends, have been hurt by him several times before, was a great way of showing his growth. And then 8 reminds you of all the people who he has genuinely either ruined or traumatized, and shows that his continued growth sure won't be easy.

I think part of what makes Penny so significant is that she's the main instance of Bojack being the start, middle, and end of the harm being done, too. While what he did to Kelsey, Gina, and even Sarah Lynn clearly had great impact on them, he was just a particularly major player in the Hollywoo system that damaged them. I think its telling that, of the women Bojack has done wrong in the past, the one who forgives him is the one who took that chance to get the hell out of Hollywoo and go sober. Kelsey may have had her career ruined by Bojack, but its Hollywoo holding its head under the water and keeping it drowning. Bojack undoubtedly traumatized Gina, but Hollywoo responding poorly to that trauma sure as hell isn't helping her with it. And Sarah Lynn had no support network from day 1, even if when push came to shove Bojack failed to make a difference and fill that role. Bojack's transgressions against them were, depressingly enough, day to day life in LA.

But Penny? Bojack had left Hollywoo behind, tried to start over, and ran to an environment that may as well have been the polar opposite. The damage done to Penny was all from Bojack's personal weaknesses and failings. Granted, those heavily draw from his Hollywoo experiences in the first place. But that doesn't change the fact that this is something can't be explained away as the nature of the industry, and I think that's why even more than Sarah Lynn this has been the other shoe waiting to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snipee posted:

That really depends on what antidepressants you are on, and even then, it's somewhat based on genetic luck. There are antidepressants out there that don't cause weight gain.

Yeah "antidepressants make you fat and feel nothing" is a pretty loving cold take and I hope the series isn't doing that. The show is generally pretty good about doing a realistic view on things, and there are tons of antidepressants available with a variety of effects on different people.