Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

Thats like common theme with cookware. OH WE MADE THIS AWESOME IT NEVER BREAKS poo poo no one needs any more. Sell the name to vultures then

capitalism bad

something i purchased recently:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nipples for a robot sex slave?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Nipples for a robot sex slave?

banana plugs

so, yes?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lost my old Opinel so I bought a new one, in green!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cover that camera's shame for god's sake!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've been needing a new desk chair for a long time, and the time has finally come to throw my current piece of poo poo chair in the trash.

just ordered this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I've been needing a new desk chair for a long time, and the time has finally come to throw my current piece of poo poo chair in the trash.

just ordered this.

I have their chair but I think the base model not the titan one. The armrests are adjustable L-R which I love but they have some play in them L-R and front back, not a ton but enough that I wish I could have paid like $20 more or something for a tighter mechanism/lockup. The adjustable back angle is so drat good. Overall 9/10 would chair again.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Flipperwaldt posted:

True on the former, false on the latter. The change to soda lime glass was well before the brand was sold off and the logo changed.

E: the color of the glass is a better tell.

There might have been a short period where that wasn't true during the sell-off but for new stuff it's entirely true - both are still in production in different places

European 'PYREX' is made in France from borosilicate glass, 'Pyrex' is made in the US from soda lime.
I'd imagine that the US only gets soda lime these days and borosilicate PYREX can only be found second hand but in Australia you can find both of them new on shelves next to each other.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

just ordered this.

Ah yes the Trump executive model.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

just ordered this.

I have the Omega model and I love it. Unfortunately so do my cats.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Re: Pyrex

I think the official company reasoning is that the new version of soda lime glass is more drop/impact resistant, at the cost of thermal shock resistance. I think they said their market research indicated a lot of people complained about them breaking when dropped, and less and less people are doing the old "straight from freezer to the oven" thing of yore. Or if the do they use aluminum pans. So thermal shock isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

I'm sure it's just cheaper to use soda lime and that's their 'we're not cheap, it's just what the market wants!' company line, though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Megabound posted:

Lost my old Opinel so I bought a new one, in green!

Why your camera look like C-3PO in Phantom Menace?

Also nice knife, I want an Opinel.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coffee And Pie posted:

I didn’t even know Opinel was a nice brand until I bought mine for like 10 dollars and looked it up when a quality knife came out of the packaging.

Inexpensive, solid, light, sharp as absolute poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Only complaint with Opinels is they start out too tight to open safely then sometime in the future turn into a loving switchblade. Because of that I only get the locking models. Gave them out to my groomsmen and they all loved them and I know at least one is still being used dialy 5 years later.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

Modern Pyrex is often not actually borosilicate glass. Maybe that's what Bottom Liner is referring to?

American Pyrex isn't Pyrex, everywhere else it is lmao. (Or at least last time I checked this was the case.)

E: welp was wrong, South American and Asian Pyrex also isn't Pyrex.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a Minolta AF-Z that stopped working so I took the face off trying to repair it, couldn't find the issue and now it's an art.

Rolo posted:

I didn’t even know Opinel was a nice brand until I bought mine for like 10 dollars and looked it up when a quality knife came out of the packaging.

Inexpensive, solid, light, sharp as absolute poo poo.

I bought it to replace my last Opinel which I lost somewhere. I did some extensive knife hunting then realised it was already the best pocket knife so got it in green instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The carbon opinels rust if you look at them. The wooden handles also expand and make the blade stuck. I like how they look but i also hate them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The carbon opinels rust if you look at them. The wooden handles also expand and make the blade stuck. I like how they look but i also hate them.

If you're letting carbon steel rust maybe owning carbon steel isn't for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I do have carbon knives from GEC/Great Eastern Cutlery. But they also cost a lot more so maybe it's a more resistant steel? My opinel was in a backpack for like a day and it got splotches all over it. If I get another one I guess I should force a patina on it. But there's still the part where the wooden handles are untreated and make the blade stuck.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Serak posted:

There might have been a short period where that wasn't true during the sell-off but for new stuff it's entirely true - both are still in production in different places

European 'PYREX' is made in France from borosilicate glass, 'Pyrex' is made in the US from soda lime.
I'd imagine that the US only gets soda lime these days and borosilicate PYREX can only be found second hand but in Australia you can find both of them new on shelves next to each other.
I can't find any new borosilicate glass here in Europe. Lab equipment maybe, but nothing for the kitchen. I have several over 10 year old all-caps PYREX measuring cups in soda lime glass.

What happened seems to be complex.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Pyrex sold the brand to World Kitchen in late 90s, and they just dumped the process for the cheaper one.

Absolutely classic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I hit up a few goodwill stye stores once a week looking for old Pyrex and dishes from mikasa. Found an old measuring cup last month for a buck so that’s nice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Roughly 200 pounds of local, grass-fed, free-range Vermont beef,

Mix of basically all cuts, ribeyes, t-bones and porterhouses, some tenderloin, a brisket, and a bunch of stew meat and ground beef from the less good parts of the cow.

Only $350.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish I had a big freezer and vacuum sealer for stuff like that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

An outdated set of the Indiana Northeastern Reporter. Finally have something to put up in my office.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Pretty sure I saw this scene in The Sopranos after someone got whacked.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wacky Delly posted:

An outdated set of the Indiana Northeastern Reporter. Finally have something to put up in my office.

Meth Damon?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Mu Zeta posted:

Meth Damon?

You're gonna draw too much attention and then he will have to get a new fridge.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Wacky Delly posted:

This is the best post in this thread.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wacky Delly posted:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Roughly 200 pounds of local, grass-fed, free-range Vermont beef,

Mix of basically all cuts, ribeyes, t-bones and porterhouses, some tenderloin, a brisket, and a bunch of stew meat and ground beef from the less good parts of the cow.

Only $350.

I’m so excited for GoonSmoke 2019.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Galaxy S7 drat, that's wild. Mine lasted 20 months before the battery had a 90 minute charge. I imagine the battery gets replaced on resale?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Solice Kirsk posted:

I bought a vacuum sealer because my partner and I caught 150 sanddab and needed to freeze them cause that's a lot of fish. Also I planned to get a cow share, so I was gonna need one anyway.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ready for this winter season :woop:

e: and this for the waiting

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Oct 28, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Galaxy S7 drat, that's wild. Mine lasted 20 months before the battery had a 90 minute charge. I imagine the battery gets replaced on resale?

The one I got was "Verizon Certified Pre-Owned". Whatever that means. It came with a 90 day replacement warranty.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've had an S7 Edge for my work cell phone for like 4 years and the battery is still shockingly decent.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Flipperwaldt posted:

True on the former, false on the latter. The change to soda lime glass was well before the brand was sold off and the logo changed.

E: the color of the glass is a better tell.

Blue tint = bad?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

The fun part was not knowing 100% when the meat was coming in...it's from my friend's father-in-law, who basically raises a couple cattle each year and sells the meat he gets for basically at-cost to friends/family. He gives him and his wife half, my friend and his wife get half, then there's just another cow's worth to get split up. The butchering is done by a friend of his, who gets paid in some cow (I did notice my half a cow was clearly absent of some of the fancier cuts...only a tiny piece of tenderloin and not enough porterhouse/t-bone to make up for where it would have gone.), but is dependent on his schedule and I guess he's the kind of guy who just shows up and says,
"Hey, I'm here to slaughter and butcher the cows!" so I had about a days notice. I then had to go to my ex's house (formally my house) to get my old chest freezer that I hadn't moved to my new place yet then go to my storage unit full of the rest of my stuff I haven't moved yet to hunt around for my vacuum sealer.

Couldn't find the large rolls of cheap Amazon bags I had previously bought, so I had to buy the expensive name-brand ones in the grocery store...used all of the rolls, so I guess add like $20 to the cost to account for supplies. Ugh, I know I have almost a full 50' long roll somewhere, which looking on Amazon now is about $10 worth, as opposed to the rolls I had to get from the store that were only 32' total (2x16' each) for $20.

The nae-brand are a rip-off, though who knows how many BPA's or other cancer chemicals are in the cheap ones.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

johncho posted:

Blue tint = bad?

Bottom Liner posted:

illustrated example. good stuff on right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've used old ones and new ones, and none have broken or exploded on me. The big difference I see is the new Pyrex has lovely pouring spouts that spill everywhere.