Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The absurd amount of really sugary stuff also makes it more difficult as does this idea of "fat is baaaaaaaaaad." We cram so much sugar into everything that it's like yeah of course you're always hungry you're barely eating anything but what you do eat is stuffed with a ton of sugar. Fat is way more satiating than sugar and is more likely to come along with micronutrients, proteins, and what have you. Really sugary heavily processed food is basically just sugar and that's it.

"Your body knows what's up, just eat what tastes best" is also absolute nonsense. The stuff that tastes best that you want to scarf down every last bit you can get your hands on wasn't common in the circumstances humans evolved in. You ate the sweet stuff immediately partly because it doesn't tend to last and partly because it wasn't common. The other snag is that we started refining sugar. Go look up how much sugar cane it takes to get the actual powdered sugar you get in a bag. Now with all the cheap corn high fructose corn syrup is just in everything. Eating a lot of refined sugar is delicious sure but it's terrible for you. That's really one of the biggest killers on this sort of thing. As our consumption of sugar has gone up we've gotten continually fatter. It's also contributing directly to a massive rise in the betus as well as a bunch of other horrible health problems.

And, you know, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOyebcrVWb4

I worked in a restaurant for five years and even people who were like "OK fine I'll eat a god damned vegetable" would then dump ranch dressing on it by the gallon. Ranch dressing is mayonnaise and buttermilk. We're genuinely our own worst enemies on this kind of thing as our tastes and what not evolved in situations dramatically different than the contemporary world. Just because you can eat an entire cake every day doesn't mean that you should.

In any event you can dramatically increase your overall well being as well as make it easier to lose weight by just eating less drat sugar. Or, you know, you can eat whatever you want whenever you want without regard to the consequences. It's a free country and you can do whatever the hell you want.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It said "eat something when you feel hungry", not "eat what tastes best".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

It said "eat something when you feel hungry", not "eat what tastes best".

Maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard but it very much reads to me like thinly veiled "actually it's natural to be extremely obese" stuff as it uses some of the same concepts. "Your body knows what's up" is one of the things that gets used but it's one of those not exactly honest things. Satiety is a complicated thing and there's more to food than people realize. The "counting calories doesn't guarantee weight loss or health" thing is one of those things that's technically correct but doesn't tell the whole story. Like yeah if you count your calories but then just go "I ate that many calories today, did zero exercise" it isn't going to accomplish anything. Louis C.K. actually has a joke about that sort of thing. He says that he steps on the scale but doesn't know why as "it isn't like I'm going to do anything with that information."

There's a difference between body positivity and encouraging people to eat themselves to death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard but it very much reads to me like thinly veiled "actually it's natural to be extremely obese" stuff as it uses some of the same concepts. "Your body knows what's up" is one of the things that gets used but it's one of those not exactly honest things. Satiety is a complicated thing and there's more to food than people realize. The "counting calories doesn't guarantee weight loss or health" thing is one of those things that's technically correct but doesn't tell the whole story. Like yeah if you count your calories but then just go "I ate that many calories today, did zero exercise" it isn't going to accomplish anything. Louis C.K. actually has a joke about that sort of thing. He says that he steps on the scale but doesn't know why as "it isn't like I'm going to do anything with that information."

There's a difference between body positivity and encouraging people to eat themselves to death.

I mean this is honestly not a bad example of why these comics exist. Because "It's okay to eat a cookie as long as you're taking proper care, calorie counting alone isn't the solution to all your health and weight issues" is turned into "ACTUALLY they're saying it's 100% fine to be obese and that exercise is for losers, clearly they just want excuses to be FAT" and guess what? That poo poo is demotivating. Health isn't as simple as one of anything and when someone is told that any 'mistake' is actually a huge unforgivable flaw it becomes a lot harder for them to actually stick to a diet because they feel like they've already screwed it up. Working out a comprehensive plan, figuring out what works for your particular needs so you're not following a rigid plan that isn't helpful for you, and understanding that you can have occasional snacks without being a fatty fat fat monster are all important things to keep in mind when being healthy.

I also notice the person who posted those comics specifically didn't post this one:

Which is entirely "Try to do exercises that you enjoy and don't hate yourself if you can't perfectly stick to your schedule." Which does not come across to me as "ACTUALLY OBESE IS GOOD."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, that one is actually good advice. I used to play board games with a guy who seriously lost 100 pounds by just playing DDR. If it works it's right. I knew a woman that put a treadmill in front of a TV and told her self "no walk, no TV." They have things like desk cycles that you can plug your XBOX into so the thing will only stay on as long as you pedal. gently caress, I have a desk cycle that I keep under my computer desk and pedal at most days.

The other side of dieting is that if you think "well gently caress I have to give up my favorite foods completely? NOOO!" it's going to ruin you. Nothing wrong with having the occasional donut or even one or two a week. It's when you start eating multiple donuts every day when you start running into problems.

I get extremely cynical about it as I've met a hell of a lot of people who lie to everybody including themselves about their habits then hate thin people pretty fiercely. Back in the days I bothered going outside I had a lot of conversations with people that acted like there was some kind of magical secret. The diet industry has a lot of blame for that one; they constantly advertise as if there is one Super Magical Super Thing that will make your problems vanish. Sometimes it's a specific food; sometimes it's some magical pill or whatever when it really is just calories in, calories out. Granted if you can't even be honest with yourself that's a deeper problem than just eating habits. Similarly the diet industry only makes money by selling you crap so if they can convince you that CICO doesn't work or there's some magic insider thing somewhere that thin people just aren't sharing they can sell you more bullshit. They bank on people believing that there's This One Trick that Mom Living In Your Basement discovered that will magically keep the weight off forever but let you go back to bad eating habits.

There is no such thing. I've actually helped a few people with their eating habits here and there and I always start at the same place. The first thing I say is "write down everything you eat for the next week. Then I'll help you. Don't lie to me or yourself. We'll go from there." From that point it's like "OK, so you have to prioritize. You're eating a lot of bad things and aren't getting much exercise. It really is eat less move more." Most of the time they'd get the picture and make some changes but other times it'd be like "I don't want to eat less ranch dressing but also don't want to exercise. Isn't there anything else I can do? What's the trick?" There is no trick. At that point I'd just say "I can't help you."

The "write down everything you eat for a week" thing helps massively because a lot of people just don't know how much their eating. It's easy to think "yeah well what's a donut and a hot chocolate from the gas station here and there?" but that can very quickly sneak up you. That can get up to 1,000 extra calories a day that you just don't even think about. I'll never say "no donuts, ever" because hey donuts are good but be really careful you don't end up eating two or three donuts a day.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

USSR and PRC are even better at making you lose weight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Man, instead of thinking about doing squats and pull-ups, I could have been thinking about playing DDR all this time. Not that I'm going to do either, but thinking about DDR is probably more fun.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What in tarnation is ddr?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Before I judge the fat people comics I want to see what Ronnie Ritchie looks like

Collapsing Farts posted:

Deutsche Demokratische Republik, i.e. East Germany.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Play racquetball for the funnest weight loss

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Collapsing Farts posted:

Dance Dance Revolution. It used to be massively popular. It's less so these days but it's still good exercise.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Before I judge the fat people comics I want to see what Ronnie Ritchie looks like

Deutsche Demokratische Republik, i.e. East Germany.

They have a comic that says "fatphobia pushes the idea that fatness itself is unhealthy" and that's all I need to judge these comics.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

insufferable but surprisingly not obese

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ulex minor posted:

Mods, username change plz

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

buncha self-loathing fat ppl itt mad that other people have figured out how to be free of internalized shame

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Peanut Butler posted:

buncha self-loathing fat ppl itt mad that other people have figured out how to be free of internalized shame

Are you saying there are only fat people in this thread and half hate themselves for it and the other half hate their doctors for telling them to lose weight?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ulex minor posted:

Wow. They look like a complete Clevin.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Comic: "Maybe think positively?"
Goons: "gently caress you!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Slimy Hog posted:

They have a comic that says "fatphobia pushes the idea that fatness itself is unhealthy" and that's all I need to judge these comics.

I do think that people get very angry and very defensive about weight because it is the last thing a lot of people see as a socially acceptable avenue to bully people about. Also, unless I can constantly judge others based on what they are doing or not doing then what does that make me?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

ImpAtom posted:

That "/exercise" doing a lot of work there.

If you starve yourself you will lose weight, but losing weight and getting healthy from it isn't just a case of 'stop eating." It isn't even necessarily effective to go on a crash diet over a more modest diet + actually exercising and doing other things.

No it's not, I did the same thing, 270-210 in a year. Eat less way less, you really don't have to exercise much. Even better, eat better lose even more weight without working out at all. Make vegetables and brown rice every night and you can't physically stay fat, without exercising at all.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Exercise has a buncha health benefits unrelated to losing weight; a chubby person who exercises often is healthier than someone of the same weight (or even a little bit less) who doesn't

likely easier to keep up with exercise if you don't specifically do it for the sake of losing weight

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Collapsing Farts posted:

whatta you know, it does work for getting in shape!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Olaf The Stout posted:

No it's not, I did the same thing, 270-210 in a year. Eat less way less, you really don't have to exercise much. Even better, eat better lose even more weight without working out at all. Make vegetables and brown rice every night and you can't physically stay fat, without exercising at all.

You could lose that weight in a third of the time having fun being bad at rock climbing or playing basketball with friends. You'd also have big arms or nice legs.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
SFW Oglaf still good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Ooooor you could actually exercise which will burn that fat faster, allow you a more varied selection of meals, and improve your overall health rather than *just* your weight.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

SFW Oglaf still good

:/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I went from 190 to 130 in 4 months pretty much by eating way less. Some people can't do that tho, either because of health issues, or simply because they can't reduce their intake for one reason or another.

And fat is considered OK to bully because it is considered OK to bully people based on their choices about what they are(Nazi punching is good) and being fat is considered a choice, since there are steps most people can take to change the situation.

I am not taking any stand on the about statement as to which side is correct

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

RFC2324 posted:

I went from 190 to 130 in 4 months pretty much by eating way less. Some people can't do that tho, either because of health issues, or simply because they can't reduce their intake for one reason or another.

And fat is considered OK to bully because it is considered OK to bully people based on their choices about what they are(Nazi punching is good) and being fat is considered a choice, since there are steps most people can take to change the situation.

I am not taking any stand on the about statement as to which side is correct

:goonsay:

"Literally every doctor advises against going on a crash diet, but they're just weaklings."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Ganketsuo, the Count of Monte Cristo anime, is actually hands down incredible. Visually it's stunning, and whoever called it low budget is just wrong. You can clearly see how it influenced later works like Madoka's use of static patterns.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Shut The gently caress Up (TM).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

:goonsay:

"Literally every doctor advises against going on a crash diet, but they're just weaklings."

nah, I would never suggest a crash diet or anything. I ended up at a doctor to get help trying to stop losing weight.

major depression is a great diet, but gently caress its not worth it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

At this point you should stop reading the internet comic and go see a real professional.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rolo posted:

At this point you should stop reading the internet comic and go see a real professional.

Why are you trying to kill these forums?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rolo posted:

oh wow look at mister queen of england here, with all his billions of dollars to pay professional friends to listen to him gripe about perfectly normal self loathing

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

SFW Oglaf still good

Waaaay better than most most actual historical royalty.
Embarrassingly so.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

RFC2324 posted:

major depression is a great diet, but gently caress its not worth it

Wow I really didn't know how you'd follow up "bullying fat people = punching Nazis?!?" but here we are.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm up for the Nazi punching diet. Where do I sign up?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

By popular demand posted:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I do think that people get very angry and very defensive about weight because it is the last thing a lot of people see as a socially acceptable avenue to bully people about. Also, unless I can constantly judge others based on what they are doing or not doing then what does that make me?

A South Park Republican.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

By popular demand posted:

I know some people are desperate to lose weight, but becoming a violent Nazi is where I'd draw the line.

And it doesn't even help, most Nazis I see are chubby fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Being fat is for people with indoor jobs, stop touching computers for a living and boom we've solved the obesity crisis