Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

wait you could actually use those? i had like 6 by the end of the game and never saw an interact button

pretty sure they mean the one inside your ledger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Neurosis posted:

What's this in reference to? I don't remember any such dialogue from two play throughs

The computer terminal you find behind the door in the bookstore that has info on failed game project. You have to dig deeper into the reasons for failure before you get that option iirc.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I’m tempted to play an Ironman run during my time off during the holidays.

Was thinking of the following:

-Use one of the prebuilt characters (already played a customized character and wanted to try one of the dev’s builds).
-Loads only allowed from death and previous game sessions.
-Clothes are set for the day, no swapping. New clothes found or bought can’t be used until the following morning.
-Thoughts are mandatory when earned. If no space is available the next earned skill point must be used for a new thought cabinet for the new thought.
-Thoughts cannot be replaced until all cabinets are purchased and filled.
-Red skill checks are mandatory.

Seems like I got most of what could make for an interesting play through. Anything I could be missing?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Perhaps a hamster posted:

The computer terminal you find behind the door in the bookstore that has info on failed game project. You have to dig deeper into the reasons for failure before you get that option iirc.

Ah, thanks

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

How do you play as a good person and also communist?

N/A since you can’t play as a good person

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Finished the game, but apparently by missing the revelation about the pale I never got the full story (I never asked Joyce about it without Kim there, and thus never solved the 2mm hole in the world thing at the church).

Every issue I have with it feels incredibly minor, but I was a liiiittle let down by Conceptualization being a less interesting stat-as-personality than a lot of the other ones. I was really pumped to pass a really difficult check at the endgame in the book pile to find out that the shooter is a devoted communist... but you find that out from him in about two seconds anyway, so who cares.

And then sinking points into Conceptualization to paint the mural, I couldn't get the paintbrush because my art was too GOOD for cindy argh!!!

I did that playthrough with 1 in physical and 5 in intellect as a communist, so next run I'll do a beat-em-up racist fascist, also known as "a cop"

edit: how do you get into the passages in the hotel? Is it only the one physical check in Klaasje's room? I kept looking around the bookstore basement since the game said they're connected, but I couldn't find anything.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can still get tge paintbrush you just have to be even more of a dick

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

edit: how do you get into the passages in the hotel? Is it only the one physical check in Klaasje's room? I kept looking around the bookstore basement since the game said they're connected, but I couldn't find anything.

Through the kitchen door. The key is hanging outside the window in the Hardies' booth. iirc you have to click on the window to spot it and then you should be able to ask them to let you have it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Josef bugman posted:

How do you play as a good person and also communist?

I think I am on like 16 points in communism without being very arseholish to anyone (who doesn't deserve it)

Non spoilery question:
I'm after the Big Fight (which went terribly for me, btw, I was totally convinced I put myself in a failure state , do I have a time limit at this point, or can I do sidequests.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
More threads I'm wondering how they were resolved:

• do the custom dice do anything? What about the additional ones that are purchasable?
  • did it explain how the ghostly voice could answer the intercom? It seemed to me like it must have been some sort of recording that was playing.
  • did the virgil texas smoking guy and the guy in his room connect to anything else?
  • the drug smuggling woman plotline, is that just an alternate way to find info about Rose?

One minor benefit of Conceptualization that I think was a legendary check: convincing the shooter that the artsy-reconstructed-exploded statue to the king was actually a communist monument celebrating when he died. He bought it but still thought that art was bourgeois.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

• do the custom dice do anything? What about the additional ones that are purchasable?
  • did it explain how the ghostly voice could answer the intercom? It seemed to me like it must have been some sort of recording that was playing.
  • did the virgil texas smoking guy and the guy in his room connect to anything else?
  • the drug smuggling woman plotline, is that just an alternate way to find info about Rose?

One minor benefit of Conceptualization that I think was a legendary check: [spoiler]convincing the shooter that the artsy-reconstructed-exploded statue to the king was actually a communist monument celebrating when he died. He bought it but still thought that art was bourgeois.

1 and 2 i was able to use custom made dice in an endgame check but i dont remember which and you find out about rhe voice through the church storyline

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

yeah at best you can play as someone attempting to be a good person after many years of not being one

that having been said trying to be a decent person and being a communist are definitely not mutually exclusive, you can still end up with a ridiculous pile of Communist Points even if you don't take every possible opportunity to be a dick about your ideology.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh and the church music thing: I improved the music by bringing the tape that was in the tree; the next part of the quest had a "this will take a while" warning, what other music was there to bring?

Similarly, I had the thought internalized about the musician, and it made concert posters show up in the wild- but this seemed to do literally nothing other than give me a few "you noticed an old poster" thoughts with no follow-up. Was there anything else to it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eh, I'd say you can definitely be a a pretty decent bloke in this. Helping small girls in from the cold, providing psych sessions to lost youth and let them realize their dreams, bringing people closure about their loved ones.
You can absolutely play as a massive rear end in a top hat too of course, but it's far from mandatory.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

[list][*]do the custom dice do anything? What about the additional ones that are purchasable?
[*]did it explain how the ghostly voice could answer the intercom? It seemed to me like it must have been some sort of recording that was playing.

I had the custom Wirral dice give me a bonus to a surprisingly high number of seemingly random skill checks. At least four that I remember. I didn't buy any of the others. I don't think they actually do anything other than give you bonuses to rolls, maybe a way to beat checks if you get stuck and have the money?

Yes it was a recording.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I had the custom Wirral dice give me a bonus to a surprisingly high number of seemingly random skill checks. At least four that I remember. I didn't buy any of the others. I don't think they actually do anything other than give you bonuses to rolls, maybe a way to beat checks if you get stuck and have the money?

Yes it was a recording.

the intercom voice: it's also possible that it wasn't so much a recording as phantom noise that somehow became trapped in the wires due to Pale exposure

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there any option to just do nice person things in game? And also fight fascists?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Is there any option to just do nice person things in game? And also fight fascists?

i mean yeah, the game doesn't grab your hand and make you pick the mean options

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I went full commie and don’t feel like I hosed any characters over who didn’t deserve it

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I think some players have been peeved that you can't quite play the superhero who neatly ties up everything as in most RPGs. Your character simply isn't capable of that. You can still do good things though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
can i be actually nice and not a dick though?

also the art, and world and character design stuff i've seen really, really triggers my clockwork orange buttons that apparently exist permanently in my brain.

is that a bad corollary?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can do your best to be good, but you're just really not building on the best foundation in terms of having a good brain

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

edit: oops, meant for the other disco elysium thread

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
You'll always have options that at least read as 'deranged', but not necessarily dickish. You can't help the fact that your character has been a disaster of a person at least up until you start playing as him, but your playthrough can be focused around trying to be a better person who is horrified as he learns about himself.

Greaseman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 28, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

edit: oops, meant for the other disco elysium thread

Other thread?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tbf, I don't feel as if Harry necessarily was a *bad* person before the events of the game. A wreck of a person, sure, but not necessarily bad. Other than the 3 kills he has registered in his ledger (which Kim mentions is below average for that precinct), there really isn't much to point at.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Way back in the thread somewhere there was an interesting post about Disco Elysium and Planescape: Torment where the poster was discussing the use of an amnesiac protagonist. I meant to reply to it at the time but never got around to it until just now. If that poster is still reading the thread, I would recommend they (and anyone else who enjoys that angle) check out Amnesia: The Dark Descent if they haven't already. It's a puzzle game rather than an RPG but it also uses the amnesiac player protagonist thing and is really good.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

pmchem posted:

Other thread?

I was making a goof after loving up, it was meant for the outer worlds thread (which is ~30% people talking about how much better disco elysium is than it)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
have any of you read the waypoint review? Is it a good one characterization of the game? It sounds pretty good if a bit uhh, hamfisted? sounding in it's dialogue choices. harry seems to be quite the racist shithead even though he lost his memory.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Tbf, I don't feel as if Harry necessarily was a *bad* person before the events of the game. A wreck of a person, sure, but not necessarily bad. Other than the 3 kills he has registered in his ledger (which Kim mentions is below average for that precinct), there really isn't much to point at.

The Unsolvable Case was real bad, but yeah.

Tabletops posted:

have any of you read the waypoint review? Is it a good one characterization of the game? It sounds pretty good if a bit uhh, hamfisted? sounding in it's dialogue choices. harry seems to be quite the racist shithead even though he lost his memory.

I mean there are racist dialogue choices but you never have to take them and there’s no real indication that’s his “natural” state

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I would say that waving his gun around at random people, threatening to kill himself and traumatizing Sylvie point at Harry being a bad enough person. But it is possible that's 'only' his lowest point, immediately followed by you playing as him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No no no, that's *Disco*

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Tabletops posted:

can i be actually nice and not a dick though?

Josef bugman posted:

No, absolutely not. No niceties allowed.

And especially no hugs.

ETA: What people are saying is that you'd certainly done *bad* things in the past, no two ways about it, but it's up to you the player if you wanna keep digging or try and claw your way up to redemption. Game supports both.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 28, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Harry is only ironically a bad person, as a joke. You can explain this to Sylvie over the phone.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
honestly the fact that you're playing a washed-up drug addict with a huge pile of unresolved issues that he occasionally takes out on the people around him makes it feel that much better when you do get an opportunity to make him show genuine kindness

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mister Bates posted:

honestly the fact that you're playing a washed-up drug addict with a huge pile of unresolved issues that he occasionally takes out on the people around him makes it feel that much better when you do get an opportunity to make him show genuine kindness

Yeah, the fact that your PC is really hosed up at the beginning makes it feel like it really matters when you manage to be good.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

dmboogie posted:

The Unsolvable Case was real bad, but yeah.
The Unsolvable Case was genuinely disturbing in a very real way, especially the end of it where you didn't even getting a disciplinary 'cause hey, you "solved" the case!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kim brings up one of the most important themes of the game right at the start: you are an amnesiac alcoholic, but right now you need to get over yourself and focus on other peoples' problems.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If I want to ask about the victim's tattoos, who can I go to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This game looks very graphically non-intense but the system requirements websites say that my Dell XPS13 can't handle it still. Bummer. I assume these websites are generally accurate? I don't have a gaming PC anymore