Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I appreciate the empathy and ability to vent here. I had a power nap despite the gym noise so should be able to survive another day.

I think getting off benzos is worth a shot at this stage. They weren't helping me enough and they do affect sleep quality. Would be ironic if that was my issue all these years.

Plus apparently it's really bad to be on them for years let alone decades.

Speaking from personal experience, benzos also get less effective at controlling anxiety over time. I was only on for a month and by the end they basically did nothing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Is it somewhat rare for anxiety to be basically fully controlled just by SSRIs? I know many people for whom that is not enough. My anxiety originated from OCD so that might have had something to do with why they were so effective for me (20mg escitalopram)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bullfrog posted:

Is it somewhat rare for anxiety to be basically fully controlled just by SSRIs? I know many people for whom that is not enough. My anxiety originated from OCD so that might have had something to do with why they were so effective for me (20mg escitalopram)

Wondering this too, because the same thing has worked for me.

I don't think I'm OCD? At least I've never been diagnosed as that, just Major Depressive/Anxiety disorder.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bullfrog posted:

Mine definitely isn't fully controlled but it sure helps. My anxiety is from PTSD though so it's a very different situation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bullfrog posted:

not at all. sertraline works wonders for me but I have to be really careful it doesnt cause me to go manic which is even worse

its a thin line

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

Admitting it and seeking help is a huge step. Good luck in your search. Let us know how it turns out.

Honestly I should have done this a long time ago and I'm extremely sad I had to go through a breakup with a girl I'm wild about to get around to it.
But she's got her own poo poo to sort out and she's already thought it over long enough that there's no changing her mind without me feeling I'm forcing her into something she doesn't want to do - which is the last thing I want.

I'm horribly broken right now but I guess that will pass in the next weeks or months. Hopefully somewhere down the road I'm gonna get over my anxiety and fear of rejection enough that I'll be the one to start a romance.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Government Handjob posted:

Honestly I should have done this a long time ago and I'm extremely sad I had to go through a breakup with a girl I'm wild about to get around to it.
But she's got her own poo poo to sort out and she's already thought it over long enough that there's no changing her mind without me feeling I'm forcing her into something she doesn't want to do - which is the last thing I want.

I'm horribly broken right now but I guess that will pass in the next weeks or months. Hopefully somewhere down the road I'm gonna get over my anxiety and fear of rejection enough that I'll be the one to start a romance.

I went through it in July. Starting therapy, getting on meds, and actually admitting to myself and to others that I have mental health problems and that I needed help was a good step forward. I'm still early in the process but things are already a bit better.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
why can I only feel alive after too long awake with at least some level of mania-like thing setting in

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

powerful lizard posted:

why can I only feel alive after too long awake with at least some level of mania-like thing setting in

anhedria(so) is a thing with depression. I know when Im on a downswing I go pretty numb, and then when Im on an upswing wheeee I can feel again!! which of course isnt 100% accurate but rather based on point of reference

talk to a pdoc about it, I AM JUST SOME JERK ON THE INTERNET but if youre concerned about mania you should check about bipolar. its a big deal to let that rampage around unchecked, its one of the things that unequivocally can be stated as a result of your brain chemistry malfunctioning

on a related note I learned a few weeks ago that constant manic spells actually cause permanent chemical changes in the brain over a lifetime and Im glad I have bp2 now :stare:

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

anhedria(so) is a thing with depression. I know when Im on a downswing I go pretty numb, and then when Im on an upswing wheeee I can feel again!! which of course isnt 100% accurate but rather based on point of reference

talk to a pdoc about it, I AM JUST SOME JERK ON THE INTERNET but if youre concerned about mania you should check about bipolar. its a big deal to let that rampage around unchecked, its one of the things that unequivocally can be stated as a result of your brain chemistry malfunctioning

on a related note I learned a few weeks ago that constant manic spells actually cause permanent chemical changes in the brain over a lifetime and Im glad I have bp2 now :stare:

the thing is, I've been in treatment for years, gone through various mixes of meds, and these swings dont happen if im disciplined with my living and keep to a schedule and all.

then it's feeling nothing, for years

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i switched a while ago from zoloft to effexor for anxiety and i'm not really sure about how i feel on it

the physiological symptoms of anxiety are gone except for my most stressful or hormonal moments, which is excellent, but i've been feeling so unmotivated and unfocused lately which isn't great for my phd

i don't think i have comorbid depression and it's more that i've been using my anxiety and fear as a crutch for my motivation so i'm not sure what to do without it but

:goofy:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Goon Danton posted:

Speaking from personal experience, benzos also get less effective at controlling anxiety over time. I was only on for a month and by the end they basically did nothing for me

Yeah it never really helped with anxiety, just let me sleep after I took enough to down an elephant. But I'm down to almost nothing now and it hasn't made anything worse.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still feel down about my ex breaking up with me because I feel like if I wasn't such a gently caress-up, I'd still be in the relationship. I miss being able to be close to him.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
shaved my giant beard off, im no longer giving "the look"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Feels fundamentally wrong that I called out an IK for repeatedly mocking my eating disorder and they probated me within 30 minutes for an innocuous post. I already hated them and that didnt make it any better. Who likes anger issues?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pancakes posted:

Feels fundamentally wrong that I called out an IK for repeatedly mocking my eating disorder and they probated me within 30 minutes for an innocuous post. I already hated them and that didnt make it any better. Who likes anger issues?

was it a cspam ik? we can yell at them in person if so, otherwise you may want to open a qcs thread about it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chokes McGee posted:

was it a cspam ik? we can yell at them in person if so, otherwise you may want to open a qcs thread about it.

Calibanibal. Im not shy about how much I loving loathe them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I went to play magic. Social interaction with people who aren't my partner or my best friend is hard to judge but I think o had a good time. I'm going back next week for sure to trade some stuff

Also I wore my old boymode jacket because I'm not out to all of those people, who Ive known for years, and I hated it so much. I hated how it felt I hated how it looked, everything about it, everything it represented

Which sucked but it's just another reminder that I'm not just hallucinating this whole Doing A Gender thing and that I should stop fighting it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, feels like I should find more private places to vent. Had someone use my breakup to try and own me in an argument, goons are so loving stupid sometimes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I went to play magic. Social interaction with people who aren't my partner or my best friend is hard to judge but I think o had a good time. I'm going back next week for sure to trade some stuff

Also I wore my old boymode jacket because I'm not out to all of those people, who Ive known for years, and I hated it so much. I hated how it felt I hated how it looked, everything about it, everything it represented

Which sucked but it's just another reminder that I'm not just hallucinating this whole Doing A Gender thing and that I should stop fighting it

Your average FLGS is heavy with utilikilts so no one there is in a position to criticize your choice of jacket.

And it's good that you got out. Meeting new people can be good for you.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Talk it out dudes. We're all adult shitposters here.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lol mods didn't even bother banning that fucker. what a poo poo site this is, where the mods will allow some jackass looking in here to weaponize the poo poo that makes people depressed.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SunAndSpring posted:

goons are so loving stupid sometimes.

Absolutely, and we do not really have full time mods so it just goes unchecked. Breakups are the hardest thing in the world, your feelings right now are justified, and if CSPAM and the internet and news stir it up then try stepping away from them so you're not so invested in how some idiot treats you.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
it would be good and cool if people using stuff shared in this thread to be lovely to others outside this thread was a guaranteed probation

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I used to delete my posts in this thread but eventually gave up. But now some guy is mad at me because he was telling people stuff about a video game he hadn't even played and I corrected him. Sigh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pancakes posted:

Calibanibal. Im not shy about how much I loving loathe them.

I like their stuff usually but I told them once to gently caress off with their gimmick itt and they got huffy and voted the thread a 1 lmao

calibanibal is a great ik for general cspam but should really not be in this thread in any capacity if he cant turn it off

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Finicums Wake posted:

it would be good and cool if people using stuff shared in this thread to be lovely to others outside this thread was a guaranteed probation

Youd think but I guess Im not gonna see that dude punished for anything because the mods here dont seem to give much of a poo poo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Did you report it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Reality Sinner posted:

Did you report it

Of course. Dude hasnt even gotten a sixer, lmao.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SunAndSpring posted:

Of course. Dude hasnt even gotten a sixer, lmao.

If it's upset you that much, escalate it to Captain_Maclaine imo. I can't speak for IKs but mods are pretty reasonable as long as you're not actively melting down and screaming at them

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

If it's upset you that much, escalate it to Captain_Maclaine imo. I can't speak for IKs but mods are pretty reasonable as long as you're not actively melting down and screaming at them

Just want to clarify that I have nothing against you, and that it's probably really nice to see a movie in Alamo theaters.

I just really don't like their organization.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

Just want to clarify that I have nothing against you, and that it's probably really nice to see a movie in Alamo theaters.

I just really don't like their organization.

idk why you would post that here :thunk: but I appreciate you mentioning it! If their organization is doing lovely things tho I want to know about it so I can stop giving them money.

Anyway we can take this to PMs

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

idk why you would post that here :thunk: but I appreciate you mentioning it! If their organization is doing lovely things tho I want to know about it so I can stop giving them money.

Anyway we can take this to PMs

Because folks were talking about using things in this thread to attack people on other parts of the board, and I felt bad.

Edit: back to talking about depression - Which, I can't recommend it. The depression.

Failson has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Oct 28, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

Because folks were talking about using things in this thread to attack people on other parts of the board, and I felt bad.

Edit: back to talking about depression - Which, I can't recommend it. The depression.

4 out of 5 doctors recommend against and also that the fifth guy should see a therapist

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Failson posted:

Oh that's nonsense I mean it's totally valid and life-affirming for me to go from mildly glum to bawling my eyes out in despair and back again in the space of about 45 minutes and even if it doesn't happen again today it totally won't poo poo up the rest of my day- combined with severe aches, pains and fatigue from probable lyme I'm really set up with a skillset to succeed with my daily goal now of feel like I'm drowning in all the poo poo I can't manage

success

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Will anti-depressants make me able to feel actual joy again? I feel so empty when doing most things these day.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SunAndSpring posted:

Will anti-depressants make me able to feel actual joy again? I feel so empty when doing most things these day.

Maybe? Made the emptiness feel like it had a bottom when I was taking them.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
It's a real YMMV sort of thing, but I wish doctors/prescribers were a little more clear on what to truly expect from a medication. I guess I've never had anyone explain to me what the best to hope for, signs that it's not working, and signs that the dose is too high. I always end up having to google those later on.

Like the best advice I've ever gotten about if my ADHD medication dosage was high enough was monitoring my caffeine intake. If I'm drinking more coffee than usual to stay focused, chances are the dose is too low. I can't remember to look for the small things, but I can generally notice a trend of drinking more coffee during the day and in the evenings.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

It may!

So I'm feeling exhausted, and burned out, and awful, and sad today, and it's only Tuesday, and I haven't been sleeping well, and I started to panic, because I can't deal with being this tired again.

But to my relief, I think I just have a cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SunAndSpring posted:

i think that i'd describe it as a feeling of normalcy, like my emotional overton window got shifted back to where it should be